IMDb > Bloody Mallory (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bloody Mallory More at IMDbPro »

Bloody good fun.

Author: tenten76 from London
27 August 2002

It's about a goverment-run team - beautiful leader Mallory, explosives expert and drag queen Vena Cava, and mute telepath Talking Tina - who fight evil, and have to go rescue the Pope when he is kidnapped by the forces of darkness. If you've seen Prophecy, or read the comic Preacher (or even waded through Paradise Lost), you'll immediately be familiar with the bad-angel storyline.

Amongst what could have just been a straightforward adventure in the Buffy/Xena mould, we get interesting back-story on Mallory's dead demon husband, who is a neat addition and really adds to the character as well as to the story.. Vena Cava is fabulous, and steals several scenes.. and even Talking Tina (who, as a child, should be totally annoying) gets plenty of laughs with her abilities to possess other people and animals. In fact, the scenes with the black cat, the bat and the rat got some of the biggest laughs of all. Also, the dialogue is priceless - comic quips, jokes about nuns, a liberal dose of swearing (which is actually very funny), hilarious attacks on Catholic religion and dogma, and even some personality for the bad guys.

It's brilliant Demon-kicking stuff, from the original opening titles to the end-credits sketch, and I thoroughly recommend it. It doesn't pretend to be anything else, and I can't understand why the IMDB scores aren't higher - but I know Mallory would have two words for you.

Like Xena and Buffy, it's tongue in cheek horror action.

Author: Adrian Brown (adeheathen) from London
26 August 2002

This French all-action comic-book-style adventure pits the lovely Mallory and her team of Anti-Paranormal Commandos against the forces of darkness led by Abaddon, as he seeks to bring an end to the human race's time on Earth.

Mallory is joined by Hot Transvestite Vena Cava, a blue-wigged be-platformed explosives expert in platform shoes (comics fans should think of Lord Fanny crossed with that one out of Codename: Knockout); Talking Tina (une petite fille extralucide) and Inspector Durand.

It's The Invisibles meets "The Pope Must Die".

It's 50% Buffy, 50% Xena and 50% totally over the top French superhero fun. Before the screening, director Julien Magnat told us that he was a big fan of superheroines "Wonder Woman, Buffy and Xena - especially Xena" and this could be a fine potential TV series in that vein. Larger than life and rather nicely satirical, there is, as you'd expect with a film about religious paranormal business, a fair bit of scathing commentary. Vena Cava, when rescuing the Pope, berates him about banning condoms.

This film has exploding heads, exploding nuns, a faceless succubus and a sexy vampire. It is not for the religiously devout or the humourless type who thinks Sam Raimi TV series are nothing more than rubbish. It's got human-demon romance. And it's got a pink hearse !

"That night I became what I am now: Their worst enemy."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
11 July 2004

Bloody Mallory is an intentionally campy flick in the mold of Dead Alive and Army of Darkness. Although it's not nearly as good as either of those films, it does deserve some credit. Where else can you see a blood-spattered bride team up with a priest, a mute telepathic little girl, and a 7-foot tall French-American drag queen? Nowhere I tell you. Did I mention they're on a mission to rescue the Pope? People keep comparing this film to Buffy the Vampire Slayer but I see more comparisons to Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher. They are both extremely colorful, oddly humorous, and set up for sequels. If you like horror-comedies with their tongue firmly planted in its cheek, check out Bloody Mallory. You could do a lot worse.

Note for genre buffs: Valentina Vargas, who played Lady Valentine, was also the sexy Cenobite, Angelique, in Hellraiser: Bloodline.

French for "bloody entertaining"

Author: johnnysugar from Minneapolis, MN
19 December 2005

A deliciously campy combination of the wild Japanese action film "Versus", the comedic gore of the "Evil Dead" series, and the supernatural girl power of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Bloody Mallory" is a stylish, self-aware, deliriously entertaining action/horror/comedy hybrid from France.

Mallory (Olivia Bonamy) is a highly-trained government agent specializing in combating the supernatural. Her back-up team consists of Talking Tina (Thylda Bares), a mute girl with telepathic abilities, and Vena Cava (Jeffrey Ribier), a drag queen with an affinity for guns and explosives. When Pope Heironymus I (Laurent Spielvogel) is kidnapped by demonic operatives, it's up to Mallory and her team to recover him and stop a nefarious plot for world domination. Joined by the kickboxing priest Father Carras (Adria Collado), the team faces off against vampires, succubi, ghouls, fallen angels, and other assorted nasties in their madcap mission.

Director and co-writer Julien Magnat has created a unique film that borrows liberally from established action and horror franchises without resorting to cheap imitation or sycophantic flattery. Mixing established folklore with his own, Magnat has managed to created a realistic yet perfectly ridiculous universe in the absolute best sense of the word. Everything is over-the-top, yet nothing is so absurd as to be boring or trite. What helps matters is the fact that Magnat is consciously aiming for a feverishly campy aesthetic and realizes just how bizarre his creation may appear.

The performances are all quite good, especially given the potential for the hammy, half-hearted B-movie acting that this film could be associated with. Bonamy is perfectly believable as Mallory, a good balance of world-weary warrior and vulnerable heroine. Valentina Vargas, appearing as Lady Valentine, is delightfully seductive and icy in equal measures. The most enjoyable performance, however, comes from Ribier as the scene-stealing Vena Cava, delivering the most amusing lines and memorable moments, all in huge platform boots and an electric blue wig.

The only downfalls in the film are fairly major, but they do not impact the enjoyment of the film as much as would be expected. Magant had an admittedly low budget, and some of the special effects (including one monster effect) are very low-tech bordering on cheesy. The fight sequences, while exciting, lack the flash and panache of similar films such as "Blade", although they usually avoid the hyper-cutting edits typical of many modern action films. Finally, many of the scenes in the first part of the film are filmed very darkly, but this is more of an objection to what is perhaps a stylistic choice and not necessarily a reflection of the overall film.

For a film with such a small pedigree, it's amazing how enjoyable it is. A B-movie with aspirations to greatness, "Bloody Mallory" doesn't fail to amuse. Highly recommended for fans of humorous, absurdist action films. 8 out of 10.

My review for Bloody Mallory - good camp horror fun

Author: crueltwistoffate from United States
14 December 2005

Okay. I'm not gonna lie to you...I'm a suck for good bad B horror. If they're done right then they can real fun and a real treat. One of the main reasons I write these reviews is to talk about films people haven't seen or just because afew people saw it and didn't like... so they put a bad rap on the film. I heard about this film awhile ago and it wasn't until I saw the trailer for it that I became really interested in this French popcorn film about demons and seeing a hot chick kick demon ass. Now the catch to B horror is that sometimes you can be burnt and I didn't want to be burnt again.So I waited off on the buying it until I could find it cheaper and finally I did.

This film is great. It's stupid, it's fun but it really creative. You can tell about of passion went into this film. It's a comic book come to life. It's like the comic pages were put on the screen instead of paper. It took me back to Sin City which is the first real comic film I had seen. I loved everything about this film. It plays out just like comic action horror. You have the hot Mallory played by the really yummy Olivia Bonamy. God, this girl is great. She fits the role perfectly and looks so hot. I loved all the red and her "I don't care" attitude. Every time she was on screen it was treat. This film took me back to those old Saturday morning cartoons before they got all stupid in the late 90's. I was just having so much fun. I loved the film's plot and script. This is what Hollywood needs to look at when making films about female heroines. So many times they have gotten it wrong and continue to get it wrong. Here the writers(and director Julien Magnat) aren't trying to make this film more then it is... comic horror fun. That's it. It's funny but by accepting the film's concept and sticking to it they make everything follow correctly. It's a horror action comic book... it's has to be R. That's it... no sissy ass PG-13 here. Is the script perfect... no. But who cares. It works for the film. I didn't get this film to watch real life... I got it because I wanted it to be a fun treat and boy it was.

For being B horror and a small budget this film never felt like it. I believe that's because of director Julien Magnat. His talent and flair make this film feel like it way bigger then it was. It never felt budget restricted... instead those restriction made the film better and give it it's own look and feel. A lot of people compare this film to Buffy and I say it's better. Yeah yeah I said it. Buffy was okay but it was more of drama then a horror show. Bloody Mallory( which the only thing I see in common is an ass kicking female lead who kills demons) is more fun and popcorn. I loved the way the film took it's own kind of new rethinkings on classic demons...like ghouls and stuff. I loved the ideas this film had. I loved when Mallory went into the cursed town to find all the horrors of hell. It's fun yet very twisted. This film isn't scary, not at all but it's not suppose to be. It's camp horror. It's fun and twistly cool. Now once again... the person who made this move was Olivia Bonamy. She owned this movie hardcore. She is what big screen female heroes should be like. She's fine.... and I do mean really fine. But she has the acting chops to handle this role. I loved how she played Mallory and yet you could see alittle of her sweet side in that role. But best of all the script knew just who Mallory was too and never threw in stuff that had no point in being there.... like a cheesy love interest or wannabe touching character moments(like in Elektra and every other female fronted action movie) They had character moments here and even a hint at an love interest... but it fit the story and never felt out of place.

Director Julien Magnat is amazing here. He captures all the things that make this film feel just like a comic book come to life without over doing it(like in Catwoman). Here his style fits perfectly in the film. I loved his use of colors and different kind of colors that gave this film a real interesting look. I loved how he handled the characters straight forward and never let them feel like they were winking at the camera. He kept the characters in reality but everything else wasn't. Everything had this bigger than life feel to it. I loved it. I loved his directing. Once again... the French show me something new and fresh about directing and believe me I'm taking notes oh how to handle genre pictures right. Sure if this film had a bigger budget then then it would have been perfect but the film's lack of budget gives it it's charm. Believe me that this film isn't as bad as you think. When I mean low budget I don't mean what your thinking about... which is stuff with bad actors shot on video with really bad CGI.

No, I mean this film has some great acting, some laughs and is just plain cool. But this film isn't for everyone. So if your not a fan of this kind of genre or your too cool for school then it's not for you and go watch "Brokeback Mountain" something. I'm just interesting in fun and this film delivers.

Buffy meets Men in Black; meets Blade; meets La Cage aux Folles; meets...

Author: Debukochi from Boston, Massachusets
20 November 2005

If you like over-the-top horror farces, this may be your movie! The acting and direction are surprisingly good. If you take your Buffy genre too seriously, you'll hate it.

A female agent (Bloody Mallory), from a secret French ministry charged with monitoring evil supernatural beings (mais bien sûr) heads off in her accessorized pink Hearse to rescue the Pope from flesh-eating ghoul kidnappers. She is joined by her sidekicks, a "flawless" foul-mouthed American transvestite (Vena Cava) and a telepathic mute girl (Talking Tina) in an action-packed romp in the underworld.

If you follow French comedy farces, like the Eric and Ramzy films, you know that the best part is finding all of the "homages" to other movies and popular culture. These include the Exorcist, Hellraiser, Nightbreed, Indiana Jones, Duran Duran, The Three Stooges…and many more (in both French and English).

S10 Reviews: Bloody Mallory (2002)

Author: suspiria10 from The Void
16 September 2005

This French action / fantasy / horror hybrid features a super-team of crazy characters including 'Talking Tina', a mute 9-year-old telepath with the ability to inhabit and control other people. 'Vena Cava', the team's drag queen with the attitude to match and their fearless leader 'Mallory', a nasty tempered vixen who kicks demon cheeks. The team is summoned into action when the newly appointed pope is kidnapped by a succubus with an age-old grudge against man. Mallory and her misfits have 24 hours to get back the pope before the press gets the scoop and the world is damned.

'Bloody Mallory' is a cheeky film that owes a lot to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and a little bit to 'Resident Evil'. Visually "Mallory' is quite snappy. It has a nappy and at times colorful look to it that compliments the nutty humor and over cheekiness. The acting is as tongue-in-cheek as you'd think of when dealing with a predominantly action / fantasy like this. The screenplay isn't original by any stretch of the imagination but it moves quickly and the humor keeps you snickering.

If you like 'Buffy' and / or 'Resident Evil' then you'll probably enjoy 'Bloody Mallory'.

Lots of cheesy,bloody, fun.

Author: argentobuff from United States
28 January 2006

After hearing about Bloody Mallory in 2003.I was looking forward to it with eh,"bloody" anticipation.Cut to fall 05 where Lions gate has finally released it to the US.Its not what i had expected.But it is a lot of fun if you don't take it too seriously.I suspect if something like this had come out in the late 70's/early 80's,BM might have become a midnite-movie classic in the vein of Rocky horror.

Saying It is a French Buffy would be the the general wording.But there is more to Mallory and her crew.They are much older(sans talking Tina),have a more aggressive nature,and more of a live-action-animae is better.

The Movie is wall to wall goofy fun.Loads of outrageous gore.Some real funny moments.A lot of male bashing.Body-hopping.A direct shot on the Pope.Vampires,Zombies,slime-things,and demons.

What is bizarre is the way BM moves into a few dramatic territories with such ease that it makes you wonder if this is the same movie.

As Mallory,the luscious Olivia Bonamy more than fills the job with attitude,skills,and a surly demeanor.Love that hair.She shines in the movie's quieter moments where she captures our sympathy.

Jeffrey Ribier as Vena Cava has little to do than look ridiculous.But comes of good-natured.Valentina Vargas is great as the vampire,Lady Valentine.Thylda Bares is okay as talking Tina,who steals the movie with her body-hopping scenes.

Julien Magnat does Bloody Mallory with some degree of style.He makes the movie look like a Zena Episode on acid one minute.Mortal Kombat the next.Techno music included.You can tell he is a big horror fan.I look forward to his next outing.

Not the most serious of horror flicks to come along.But for Goofy good fun Bllody Mallory is worth it.

Where is the sequel?

Buffy politically uncorrect

Author: pumaye from Firenze, Italy
18 May 2003

A really strange fantasy/adventure movie, a mix of horror, Cyberpunk and other kitsch inserts. Buffy is probably the model, but the story (a plot for world domination regarding the Pope) and the characters are very different from the Buffy ones, more Europeans, more fun in a strange sort of way. A better movie than you may think, but not really great for it is in a midlle of the road between delirious fun and bloody serious. Not for all tastes, but worth seeing

film to rediscover

Author: Brognez Pascal from France
24 June 2013

This is a good comedy, like the Dance of the Vampires. The original music is by Kenji Kawai. The film is a parody action comedy, fantastic, satanic, a little gore. The story is classic, some finds, twists, it never drags and it's fun. There are many endearing characters including among the monsters. Monsters are carefully made​​, credible. The film was shot primarily in natural settings. The Pope is a major character in the movie. The American believers have not loved her role. Neither the role of another character, a demon (though have killed with an ax at the beginning of the film and found it to be in limbo). It is irreverent, politically incorrect, as they say in the USA, and it makes you think, I like it :-). The DVD includes the making of the film and a second short film.