IMDb > R2-D2: Beneath the Dome (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

R2-D2: Beneath the Dome (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Has to be on the DVD!!

Author: sroscoe from South Jersey
23 February 2002

This 'mockumentary" was brilliant!! It really shows the sense of humor the gang at Star Wars has. A definite must see for any Star Wars fan. I have no doubt this will be a part of the DVD of Episode II when it comes out. If you can't wait for the DVD, check it out. Just a warning though.. broadband connection preferred.

Funny!

Author: shawn_allen from Maryland
7 December 2001

I bet the casts of the new and old movies are having a blast making this. Only the first two episodes are out as I write this, but it has got to be one of the funniest "mokumentaries" ever. Especially fun is what R2 did with himself in the intervening years between "Return of the Jedi" and "Phantom Menace." I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone, so go to the Star Wars website and see. Thumbs up for the guy who thought this one up, and for George Lucas, for letting them take a shot at his creations.

Very Well Done and Humorous

Author: ooss19 from Dallas, TX
14 July 2002

A great short-featurette about R2-D2 and his struggles through life outside of Star Wars, what many people dont know is that this is actually a 3 part-documentary available on starwars.com and that the short 5-10 minute portion shown on Fox during the fall of 2001 is just the trailer for it. Any one who likes star wars or likes comedy and has seen star wars should go to starwars.com and see it. It has interviews from other movie figures and star wars actors such as Samuel L. Jackson and Natalie Portman.

Fantastic!

Author: Lee Grant from Huddersfield, England
18 December 2001

It is so refreshing to see something like this. The way R2D2 is portrayed has to be seen to be believed. The additional footage is great as are the interviews with some major names of the Star Wars universe.

Well worth a look!

True to Lucas fashion. He put it on the dvd.

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
11 December 2002

This little show is so like Lucas. Making fun of himself again. I'm just glad he put it on Episode II. (course since I bought 1 & 2 on dvd at the same time recently, I might be screwing this up) But I believe it's on the extra's section of Ep 2. THough I did watch it when it originally came out. But even if you not into Star Wars, you should get a kick out of this.

Funny little fake documentary

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
9 August 2016

"R2-D2: Beneath the Dome" is a live action short film from 2001, so it has its 15th anniversary this year. The title already gives away that this one is also Star wars related and this is from the time when they made films 4-6 (actually 1-3 in chronology). It is all about the globally famous little robot in this documentary/mockumentary. It tells us about his early days as an "actor" and how he struggled with his career at some point before he returned to stardom finally. This was pretty funny on some occasions and you could see that the people in here sometimes had difficulties to hide their amusement. Samuel L. Jackson is of course once again the coolest guy on the planet posing as a friend to R2-D2 in here. And this little movie also takes us into the private life of the title character, namely his history with his parents (especially dad) and his tumultuous relationship with a hot young brunette. And there is a nice surprise for everybody at the end with her last comment, probably the biggest surprise for R2-D2 himself. The documentary entirely acts as if he was a real human being in here and the joke works for this runtime. It may have gotten a bit critical around the 30-minute mark, but for 20 minutes, it was pretty entertaining. 6 stars out of 10 and I am not a great Star Wars fan, so this should mean something. Huge fans of the franchise will probably love it even more.

Does what everyone Star Wars fan wants from its friends and acquaintances

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
28 March 2016

I never saw the original Star Wars trilogy until I was well into my high school career, but that didn't stop me from having several Star Wars action figures as a young kid. Specifically, I remember three - Mace Windu, C-3PO, and R2-D2. Despite not knowing a single thing about these characters, their origins, or their intricacies, I was drawn to their plastic appearances and their pristine and immaculate detail even as a young child. I didn't need their backstories to have complex, imaginative adventures with them on my ledge overlooking my street. That's the beauty of Star Wars; even if we have no background or knowledge of the characters, most of us can still pick up the toys and create adventures that are just as satisfying to that small candle of childhood nostalgia we still have lit in the back of our minds.

R2-D2: Beneath the Dome, a three-part, twenty-minute mockumentary, takes the lid off the character figuratively and literally to explore the interworkings of one of the most fascinating and intricate characters of the Star Wars universe. Told in a style reminiscent of talk show specials answering the much-asked question "where are they now?," with an aesthetic resembling VH1's Behind the Music show, we learn of "Artoo"'s beginning as an actor and a friend of George Lucas, as struggled to obtain more complex and challenging roles in feature films and TV shows. However, all it took was Lucas to have a bit of faith in his robot companion, and following the success of A New Hope in 1977, R2-D2 became a household name and a movie-star overnight.

As with many celebrities, the fame gets to one's head and a downward spiral ensues, which is what parts two and three of this film concern. In addition to "archive footage," we see interviews with people like Lucas and Artoo's co-stars Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, and even his pregnant girlfriend Bitsie Tulloch. As a fun and creative exercise, R2-D2: Beneath the Dome is a real treat for Star Wars fans because it ultimately does what every fan wants out of people who view the movies - to take the events and the characters seriously. When you start subscribing a detailed history and resume for a robotic droid, in addition to giving him a girlfriend, I think it's safe to say that you've taken him about as seriously as you could.

R2-D2: Beneath the Dome is a cute film for its casual humor and the way it personifies a character that was instrumental to so many peoples' lives arguably for just being so simple, yet so immaculate. The result is a lively and spirited, with its tongue firmly planted in its cheek and unwilling to move or displace it.

Directed by: Don Bies and Spencer Susser.

A pleasant surprise

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
20 February 2015

"Beneath the Dome" has to be the silliest thing I've seen in a long while, but it's all in good fun. It's like a "Behind the Music" special for R2-D2, and as such it covers everything in Artoo's life from his troubled upbringing (in a human family), his big break with "Star Wars", fall from grace into self-destruction, and fiery rebirth when the prequels were being made. What's surprising is how many people they got to be in on the joke, and it wasn't just whomever they could cobble together from the "Episode II" set: Steven Spielberg, Francis Coppola, Richard Dreyfuss, even Carrie Fisher and Harrison, although Hamill's absence was a bummer). Artoo's fitness training in the gym was a highlight. It topples over into the absurd during his failed bungy stunt, but how else could this have ended? It's a great mockumentary and a good bit of fun.

A cute and funny film

Author: Herbest8 from United States
4 October 2009

The true star of "Star Wars" gets his own film in the form of a cute and surprisingly well made mockumentary. The loose story focuses on the rise and fall of Reginald Dillingham (the apparent real name of R2-D2) and also goes into the honors and friends that he gathered on the journey.

The cast is made up mostly of "Star Wars" veterans and has the unique distinction of bringing together most of the cast members from both trilogies. In addition, celebrities like Richard Dreyfuss and Francis Ford Copolla make appearances and show their comedic chops quite well.

It's hard to pinpoint the best performance. Samuel L. Jackson is pretty good, coming off as being the kind of loyal friend you'd like by your side and Dreyfuss is very convincing as the bitter ex-friend of the droid. Even Christopher Lee scores points in a cameo role. If I had to choose, I would say Ben Burtt is certainly the most watchable. But perhaps the greatest asset is that this cute film has no slow spots at all and works well in its 20 minute run-time.

Bottom-line? This ranks higher than the prequels and that's no joke!

A gem!

Author: iffershortt from United States
22 April 2009

Anyone who is a fan of Star Wars (and especially someone whose favorite character is R-2) should love this three-part film. Its loving, if stern, treatment of the tempestuous robot gives "the trashcan on wheels" great dimension. There are biographical surprises, such as his family history, that must endear the little guy to anyone but his enemies. This well-written paean to one of filmdom's unique and fascinating characters deserves to be seen as a feature on the big screen, or at least as a television special. I wish there were more installments. Everything from the performances on camera to the narration is professional. Hats off to the creators, to Don Bies, in particular, for his inspiration. Beneath the Dome is witty, funny, absurd, and--amazingly--quite touching. In fact, it is as clever a mockumentary as I've seen.