IMDb > "Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Got to love 'Wossy'

Author: Annelore Brantegem (abranteg) from Aalst, Belgium
3 December 2004

Friday Night with Jonathan Ross is without a doubt the funniest talk show I have ever seen, and believe me I have seen a few.

Not only does Jonathan Ross succeed in getting the most popular celebrities (mostly comedians and actors) on his sofa, he can also make them say/do things, they wouldn't consider saying/doing anywhere else.

Between guests Jonathan takes his time to reflect on the more bizarre things in society in general, and his personal life in particular. It seems to me that any trivial task can turn into a gruesome ordeal when it's left in the hands of the funny man. Luckily for us the man has no pride whatsoever, so he doesn't mind telling us about the more shameful mistakes he has made in his lifetime: RESPECT!

A special contribution to the show is made by the house band, Four Poofs and a Piano ( I'm not making this up ). Every week they pay a special tribute to one of the show's guests by wearing a customized T - shirt with his/her face on it. Besides that, every guest is introduced by the band with a song that seems to be all about them/their life.

In short: great variety of guests; wickedly funny, bizarre, and from time to time scary.

Good fun

Author: Greatwhitewhale from London, England
4 September 2003

Jonathan Ross maybe one of those people who are everywhere on TV but he does show that he could do a pretty good talk show.

Maybe his jokes are a little crude but you got to love him. But when he gets a guest on, it does seem he tries to talk more than the guest him/herself and continues to show clips of what the person has done.

But for what just seems a normal talk show did have some great guests. Jim Carrey, Michael Madsen, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Ozzy Osbourne, Yoko Ono, Madonna, David Bowie, Roger Moore and he even got Marilyn Manson!!!!

Overall, a fun hour-long show to watch on a Friday night (even though it wasn't filmed on a Friday).

"Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" in one word? Brilliant!

Author: xaali from Spain
5 July 2008

"Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" is a work of genius. Witty, hilarious! "side-splittingly" entertaining (and so, obviously, better with words than I).

It's brilliant.

I'm not a talk show or interview person, but there are a few shows that I simply cannot miss, and Jonathan Ross' is top of that list.

Even when you've never heard of the people on the show, it's funny. Honestly, if you like comedy, you've got to watch it; a hilarious hour that seems to fly by.

I have, however, encountered the odd show where I got a bit bored with some guest, but – really – you've got to have tremendous bad luck to happen across one of those rare occasions, and said guest has to be unbelievably boring and humourless.

Great Show

Author: Incognito6 from Canada
1 December 2006

I live in Canada and well TV channels are full of US programming(because for some reason Canadians don't know how to create entertaining shows). And well we watch US talk shows but I happened to catch a clip of Jonathan Ross' show on Youtube and I was pleasantly surprised how good and funny his show is. It is really refreshing from all these other talk shows, the main difference is that Jonathan Ross is actually funny and doesn't overact or over-react on every situation like talk show hosts do here. So it is very refreshing for me and I hope I can find a cable channel here in Canada that broadcasts his shows so I would subscribe as soon as possible.

All in all a great show, very entertaining and funny.

Really Very Good

Author: square-eyed from United Kingdom
9 April 2007

this is a really good talk show, pity it's on so late though as it misses quite a lot of viewers that way. Though i suppose it does need to be over the watershed i wish it was 9 o'clock usually rather than 11 something every night

he usually gets at least one really famous guest every show and interviews them well and gets good responses from them. You also feel that perhaps the guests actually like Johnathon Ross which is nice compared to the usual harsher interviewers. Nicelly put together Johnathon Ross is really quite funny when he tries.

the green room is also i nice idea where they show the celebs waiting to go on and it makes them seem much more human

And though the 4 Poofs and a Piano do get on my nerves sometimes they're quite fun and it's all worth staying up for interviews

Cherie Blair

Author: frs-10 from United Kingdom
21 March 2008

Having watched and enjoyed the "Jonathon Ross" show on Friday the 21st March it occurred to me that the the artist "Siouxsie" completing the show, displayed a striking resemblance to Cherie Blair, the wife of the former prime minister, Tony Blair. So is it possible for Jonathan on next week show to display the two images together to see if he agrees with me. Invite Tony Blair to the show and i'm sure he'll think his wife is now setting her sights on a pop career.

******************************************************************

******************************************************************

regards

bob

Couldn't live without it!

Author: Matthew Knightley from United Kingdom
22 August 2008

This is the greatest talk show you will ever get! Unlike dry American talk shows, Jonathan brings life to the show, involving celebrities in different items featured on the show but whilst doing so, he keeps the audience and guests entertained with his quick witt and in-depth discussions about their careers! He's not afraid to say what he wants, and this is why he is so popular! You can relate to him as he talks about everyday problems etc. He is always taking the pi$$ out of himself, along with his guest but does it so that they are never offended! You don't realise how popular he is among Hollywood guest, he is always receiving compliments e.g. from Jay Z "A lot of people tell me great things about, I didn't think you would live up to it, but you did man!", it's great to hear that not only for Jonathan but for the audience too! He even manages to get guests to speak out about their private lives even when they are very concealed about it, for example, Jay Z again, he talked about Beyonce which trust me, never happens! It's an all round great show, but Jonathan really is the centre of attraction no matter what guest (when you book, you have no idea who will be on the show you going to see)! Jonathan is a legend! Something the English can be proud to have among our nationality! The perfect show!!!!!

best talk show in the universe

Author: Aman Somal from London, United Kingdom
7 February 2007

This has got to be the best talk show of all time. Great guests most of the time, and when there not Wossys even better at humiliating them while having great banter. US talk shows could learn a few things from this, all of them seem to be stuck in the 80's, they look cheap and the variety aspect has long been dead. This is the new age show, as it remains classy even with its lewd and crude sense of humour. Jonathan Ross could be the funniest person on TV. The show never has a bad week, regardless of the guests, Ross always turns up on song, having a unique chemistry with each guest be it Madonna and Paul Newman or some reality TV star its entertaining. The show also has a great musical act every week from big bands such as U2 and Oasis to smaller new bands getting their upstart like Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys. Try and find some of the old episodes, some of my favourites include, Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Cameron Diaz, Ricky Gervais, Ben Stiller and Daniel Radcliff.

Friday Night with Jonathan Ross

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
10 May 2005

When there's nothing else good on Friday nights, this is probably the best show to watch. It's basically like a comedy chat show with the popular critic, actor and chat show host, slightly wobbly mouthed twice BAFTA and British Comedy Award winning, and National Television Award nominated Jonathan Ross. Throughout the show he has had many wonderful and famous people on the show, not counting Four Poofs and a Piano singing as they enter. My favourite episode so far has still been the one with Chris Tarrant, Johnny Vegas and Jim Carrey. You know what Carrey's like, they basically sang a chosen song as loud as possible and wrecked the studio. And it was the last in the Series! Ross adds both humour and seriousness to make this show a very good award winner. It has been on all 100 Greatest TV Treats programmes so far. It won the BAFTAs for the Lew Grade Award (also nominated), it won the British Comedy Awards for Best Comedy Entertainment Programme, and it was nominated the National Television Awards for Most Popular Entertainment Programme (three times). Very good!

Jonathan Ross is so past it - its not funny how not funny he is!

Author: XTRADER from London, England
4 February 2008

Friday Night With Jonathan Ross must have those in charge of Ross rubbing their sweaty little palms together. They know the BBC lacks imagination when it comes to talk shows so when they have Jonathan Ross at their disposal they are quite settled to just sit back and let a half wit command this primetime slot.

Ross Spends most of the show grooming his ego and smiling about how much the BBC is paying him. The show is a complete copy of many US Chat Shows - Leno, Letterman, Conan O Brian, the list goes on - but he and his team have clearly seen what works on the masses can also be done for the dumb masses in the UK also.

The unfortunate situation - he has no competition? Parkinson has gone by the reality is he was never really up to much except grooming a celebs ego. Can't we have someone funnier and slicker on British Screens instead of Jonathan Ross? Once Ross has built up his ego enough he will then proceed to the very boring concept of the stiff celebrities in the green room - so trying to get on with each other. If an A-Lister is present (which is so often the case these days - as there are no other chat shows they can turn to - to promote their latest movie) - he will spend the next hour either flirting with them or trying to be their best friend in the Universe. Sqeamish when he had Ringo Starr on - a man that cares nothing for licking arse - Ross genuinely was begging for his mobile phone number (as common policy on this show is for Jonathan Ross to get everyones number so he can be seen in the right company when not working). Of course Ringo said it how it is - and simply said no I don't like you - dead pan serious.

Ross needs to be axed from all Awards and TV shows - the masses will get over it.