IMDb > Human Pork Chop (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Human Pork Chop More at IMDbPro »Pang see: Song jun tin leung (original title)

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Mixed (body)bag

Author: Viva_Chiba from Land of the dead
29 September 2010

I love Category III (CAT III) movies, this one was based on a real murder case, so i couldn't miss it, but unfortunately this is not the instant classic that i was expecting. The actual "real murder case" is known as "The Hello Kitty Murder", the most gruesome murder case ever happened in Hong Kong.

With some confusion, Human Pork Chop came up the same period of time as "There is a secret in my soup" (another CAT III movie, based on the SAME murder case, but with sex scenes, according to some reviews).

From the cast i recognize Emily Kwan (she plays "Bo" in The Untold story, a REAL CAT III classic), she plays the part of the victim.

As the film begins, we get some police detectives raiding an apartment, to find a human skull hidden in a "Hello Kitty" doll (i read somewhere that the manufacturer of the Hello kitty's doll got angry and was threatening the film-makers with a law suit). As the police investigates they interrogate some suspects, until one of the murderers decides to confess everything.....revealing a story of degradation and torture, the poor Grace (Emily Kwan) is caught after stealing the money of her pimp and she is gonna pay for that....with her life !

This is probably the "worst" (i write "worst" with quotations because i have never seen a "really bad" CAT III movie) CAT III that i ever saw, not in the true sense of the word. I was hyped after i read the plot and the fact that it was based on a real murder case. There is no nudity and sex and the only "violence" elements are in the last 30 or 20 minutes.

Recommended only for CAT III completists.

utter garbage, avoid at all costs!!!

Author: KingLear (jeromekeller@freesurf.ch) from St. Gallen
9 March 2002

After consuming "Human Pork Chop" and properly digesting it, I felt urged and obliged to inform potential viewers, that chewing on this product is NO FUN and its substance of LOW nutritive value.

According to the dull nature of this film, the following is gonna be a WARNING more than a REVIEW. This is the first time I wished, that there is an "I-don't-care-to-rate-this-movie"-button on IMDB, because the only reaction to this boring piece of TRASH is stasis and indifference. Every possible rating would do injustice to all the other items listed here, a "10" is out of question anyway, "1" might persuade some readers, that this is one of those cases where "it's so bad that it's actually REALLY bad and that's kewl!", and "5" is unsatisfying as well, people might think, that it's an OK-flick and alright if you wanna have some cheesy fun, which it is not... Honest to God, it's neither a "10", a zero nor a 5, it's nothing, a black hole, A FUTILE WORK CONCEIVED BY AN EMBRYO. I bought the region 3 DVD, which was cheap (7 bucks!!!) at least and of good picture-quality, I bought it mainly because of the positive and promising reviews posted below my own entry. Oh boy, was I to be DISAPPOINTED. This movie is neither shocking nor disgusting nor unnerving nor... it's not even laughable, it doesn't take itself too serious to be laughed at, but still serious enough so as not to be comic. A truly unpassionate, amateurish effort. The only sequence that I found MILDLY DISTURBING is when two giggling thugs put an ugly dog in a bag and bash it against a brick wall... but even such a cruel premise only lead to a poor execution. The further down cited TOILET SCENE is unrealistic and filmmed without any sense for suspense, suffering or humiliation - the feces look like painted marsh-mellows!!! There is a butchery scene at the end of a loooong 85-minutes where three men dressed in plastic raincoats (a setup which one finds also depicted on the front cover of the DVD) start to dispose of the female body. Reminded me of "American Psycho" and "Shallow Grave", now these flicks are worth watching and true masterpieces.

Let's be REALISTIC for once and not rush to make a myth out of every Asian-wannabe-scary-movie, as seems to happen lately...

If you are looking out for some eastern horror then try Danny Lee's masterpiece of the very same (English) title "Ba Xian fan dian zhi ren rou cha shao bao" (Human Pork Chop) it's from 1992 and has - not without reason I might add - been compared to "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer". There is also a similar film telling the same story by a different film crew called "Ren tou dou fu shang" ("There Is a Secret in My Soup") of the same year, sort of a rival production. It's available as a region 3 DVD and by most regarded as superior to "Peng shi zhi sang jin tian liang". I might add a few more words on the special effects... what special effects?!?... there are a few chopped off limbs, they look awful - in a wrong sense - probably "Made in Hong Kong".

That's about all the info I can share on this subject, hopefully it will prove helpful... ENJOY YOUR MEAL!

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]