In America (2002) Poster

(2002)

278 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
3 Wishes
David Ferguson10 December 2003
Greetings again from the darkness. I have no idea what has taken so long for this film to be released. Director/Producer/Writer Jim Sheridan ("My Left Foot", "In the Name of the Father" "The Boxer") has always been a tremendous filmmaker and with "In America" he has become a wonderful story teller. This semi-autobiographical picture was co-written by Sheridan and his two daughters and is the story of an Irish family's immigration to New York. I am a fan of Levinson's "Avalon" and Scorsese's "Gangs of New York" and I will rank this with both. It causes what I call "crossover". That is when I no longer feel I am watching a movie, but that I become part of the story. The characters are no longer actors, but real people. The writing, directing and acting are all terrific. Paddy Considine (a Stephen Rea lookalike), Samantha Morton ("Minority Report"), Djimon Hounsou ("Gladiator") are all exceptional in their roles. However, this movie belongs to the real-life Bolger sisters, Sarah and Emma, who play Christy and Ariel. Ariel's innocence and need to believe along with Christy's wisdom-beyond-her-years truly make this film work. Rarely do child actors carry a movie of significance. While these two bring joy, laughter, sadness and tears, they never cross the line of overly cute or overly sympathetic. Another odd twist to this film is the importance that Spielberg's "ET" plays. The dream of home and the presence of aliens (drug dealers, etc) in their tenemant tie in nicely. Their friendship with Mateo (Hounsou) is both bizarre and heartwarming. This is an extremely emotional ride for the audience, but one well worth taking.
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most authentically felt films I've ever seen.
RealScience21 November 2003
I'm not really big on this kind of film, but this one won me over in a big way. Jim Sheridan has such a sure hand as a director that even as the story meanders along, and you're not quite sure where things are going, you know HE knows and you end up trusting him and going along for whatever ride he wants to take you on. The characters and the actors portraying them are so winning, you don't want the movie to end. You just want to stay with them forever.

Every role, right down to the two border guards and the hospital administrator are perfectly cast and performed. The two sisters playing the daughters are amazing. But the acting in the film really belongs to Samantha Morton. It really is a high wire act. In lesser hands this character might have been completely unbelievable. But her love for her husband and children is so palpable, you completely buy everything she has to go through with them.

There were so many chances for cheap sentiment here, but the movie never went there. Really beautiful.
75 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Angels in Manhattan
jotix10020 December 2003
Two of the reasons for going to see this film are: Emma and Christy Bolger. They steal the movie from under more established stars. They make us see their new world through their eyes. It is magic to them to be in a new city, where they discover new things every day. They are disarming.

America, the land that receives so many immigrants can be a hostile environment for a lot of people. For Johnny and Sarah, New York is a place full of surprises, as it must be to a lot of people whose dream is to make it there. This film is about their struggle to survive in pursuing a dream that turns out to be a nightmare for them, in many respects.

Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton make the struggling Irish immigrants very real under the direction of Jim Sheridan, who is supposed to be the Johnny of the story. What they have to deal with in their new home, eventually make them conquer a world that's not kind to them. Nothing is given to them on a silver platter, which is the case with most illegal people in the country, so their tale is very believable and true to the pioneer spirit they have within themselves.

It is the fantastic performance of the two Bolger sisters, as the daughters, which brings this film into focus. They have their feet on the ground and they know the ordeal their parents are facing. Their luminous faces and natural endear them to us in a special way.

We owe Mr. Sheridan and family a lot for their courage to show us what they went through at their arrival in America.
48 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful
Mermaid7725 October 2004
I love this little film. I was pregnant at the time when I saw it with my husband who is from Ireland. We both enjoyed the film for it's romance, it's humanity, and qualities that were so earthy and yet somehow ethereal. It was both beautiful and moving--one of those rare finds that illuminates, truth, beauty, and the honesty that art can evoke. Art--especially the theater and cinema has the power to inspire and can be so powerful. This film is living proof of that. The film has an integrity and a quality of strength that few films ever capture. It is my dream to both create and perform in little films like this. I want to inspire and create something that makes a spiritual leap--something that lasts and endures for all time because of its quality of a diamond in the rough. If you want to see something a bit unusual, though provoking, emotional, and rare--see this film.
92 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two Stars Are Born, in a Touching, Powerful, Sensitive, Positive and Magnificent Movie
Claudio Carvalho18 February 2005
Johnny (Paddy Considine), Sarah (Samantha Morton), Christy (Sarah Bolger) and Ariel (Emma Bolger) are a catholic Irish family, looking for a better life in America. They lost their beloved son and brother Frankie in an accident, and the family, specially Johnny and Sarah, is traumatized with his death. Johnny tries to find a job as an actor, but he lost his emotions and feelings with the death of Frankie and can not find a job, working as a taxi driver to support his family. Without any money, they move to a junkie building, where they become friend of Mateo (Djimon Hounsou), an African painter who has a serious disease, apparently AIDS. Their lives change and Johnny and Sarah learn to face and heal their wounds with the arrival of the baby and the friendship of Mateo.

"In America" is a magnificent and very positive tale of friendship and survival. The story is very simple and dramatic, but never corny, and the very convincing performance of the cast is amazing and touching. Jim Sheridan was able to direct the six years old Emma Bolger and achieve an outstanding performance in the role of Ariel. Her eleven years old sister, Sarah Bolger, has also a stunning dramatic and key role in the story. I dare to write that two stars are born! Summarizing, "In America" is a highly recommended touching, powerful, sensitive, positive and magnificent movie. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Terra dos Sonhos" ("Land of the Dreams")
78 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I was blown away by other's neg comments. I enjoyed it!!
bertelv22 October 2004
The story is if a family running away from a tragedy. They find a tenement in a big city and try to survive. They do okay. Then through a neighbor who has AIDS and a new baby they learn to face their problem.

I read some of the comments of others. They all seem to be negative. I really enjoyed it. My family and I were riveted the whole time. I saw neither inconsistencies nor over melodrama. That is, I saw no more that in any other movies. All movies are just snapshots and almost all are lies. This one is no more or less in that regard. It was a melodrama about over coming tragedy. It communicated to me.

The actors were realistic. I especially enjoyed the girls. I also enjoy seeing

Sorry for you naysayers. You are just picking the nits from the nats.
87 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome to America
leftyguns210 March 2005
This is the story of an Irish family who comes into the US via Canada and settles in a rundown New York City neighborhood as n immigrant (exile) myself, I can very much relate to what the family was going through . Hot summers , different culture, eccentric neighbors, theft., illness. I recall my own bout with Nephritis shortly after arrival, along with a long hospital stay.My family settled in the most rundown corrupt city in the US . Newark NJ. So I know how it is to land in an undesirable town location.

The family consists of a father , mother , two young girls, and the subtle presence of a boy who died shortly before the family emigrated. His presence however is felt through the film. .

The mother becomes pregnant soon after , but must make a choice. If the child is born too early he/she would probably not survive, if carried to term the mother's life would be in peril.

A subplot develops when the family befriend an eccentric black painter. Mateo. played brilliantly by Djimon Hounsou. They establish a bond that transcends their different backgrounds.

The pregnant mother takes the courageous step not to terminate her pregnancy.

As it is my practice I will not divulge anymore information, since It is my function as an author to comment on a film in order to either promote it or tell the reader it isn't worth his/her time. Also i'm not going to give away the best scenes and dialogue. That my dear reader you will see for yourself when you view this masterpiece of a film.

You must see it.
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sensitive family portrait
Travis_Bickle0123 May 2005
Heartwarming movie about an Irish family who emigrates to the U.S. in order to find happiness, a better future for their children and above all to get over the death of their son Frankie. The story is told from the point of view of the eldest daughter Christy. The movie starts when the family crosses the American border. What follows is the struggle that comes with starting up a new life as a lower class Irish family.

'In America' is a wonderful movie with a touching story and outstanding acting performances. Paddy Considine was the only one who was a bit disappointing, although he wasn't bad at all. Samantha Morton was excellent and very believable as a strong Irish mother. Djimon Hounsou was truly amazing. It's hard to describe how good his acting was! Although his role wasn't that big, he has made quite an impression on me. Personally, I loved the following two scenes the most. First there was the scene were Ariel and Christy tell Mateo about the loss of their brother Frankie. Mateo spontaneously starts crying, but what makes the scene unforgettable is the small white hand of Ariel on the strong black arm of Mateo. Beautiful! The second scene that I loved a lot, was the scene where Johnny comes to Mateo. He tells him a bit about his lost son, tells him about the fact he can't laugh or cry anymore, asks him if he's in love with his wife. The answer of Mateo, he tells him he's in love with anything that lives, is another strong scene with breathtaking acting from Hounsou's part! And then there are the two girls. Charming, heartwarming, very touching and sweet, spontaneous and honest! Both give amazing performances. The stole my heart from the minute I saw them. The funny detail is that they really are two sisters.

I don't know anymore how often I have to repeat it, but this movie is a must see for everyone. This is the kind of movie you enjoy every time you'll see it again. Jim Sheridan made (again!) a great movie. See it!

13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Breathtaking In America.
GazTruman30 December 2007
This film has probably the best acting I've seen in a long time! Each of the family of 4 play their roles perfectly to deliver a gripping, breathtaking and heartwarming film.

The film shows the struggles of a poor family dealing with the loss of their son/brother. Showing the struggles of money has been seen in many films before, recently "the pursuit of happiness". I think this film delivers it in an accurate way without becoming a sob story.

One of the best scenes in the film is when the family are at the fairground, one of the girls asks for an ET teddy which can be won on one of the stalls. This scene is gripping as the father tries to win the ET teddy for his youngest daughter, you can see the pain going through the fathers face as he tries to prove himself to his daughter as the dollars are rushing away from him. It makes quite simply brilliant viewing.

I also thought it was great to see the father show his lack of faith in God since losing his son. When the two daughters ask him to kneel and pray, and he refuses. You can see just how much he has lost his faith in God, a great scene.

The connection between the father and eldest daughter during the final scene was excellently heartwarming, it showed everything the film was all about in one powerful scene. Pure genius! 9/10 Paddy Considine is one of the best actors i have seen on film this year, with "In America" and "Dead Mans Shoes". I simply great actor.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Advance US Screening plus Q&A with Jim Sheridan
Samifoni-Delrico14 November 2003
My girlfriend and I were lucky enough this week to attend an advance screening of this film as well as a Q&A session with director Jim Sheridan. Let me say, this film was absolutely amazing. I felt like falling to my knees and weeping for joy as we left the theater. This film is the story of Jim, his wife and daughters coming to America from Dublin. It is not the story that I expected of immigrants coming to this country to abuse the system but rather a tale of hard working folks coming here to start over.

Jim was afraid that some of the material may be too heavy. I disagree. There was more honest, heartfelt joy in this movie than I have ever seen. The acting from all involved was simply superb. I'm sure most of what you hear about this movie from critics will be focused on the two daughters. Don't get me wrong, these two girls could teach any actor a lesson or two. But the talent does not end with them. Jim's directing style of telling the actors how he sees the story and then letting them figure out how to show it has never been more successful than in this film.

Two scenes in particular struck me as I was immersed in this film. Looking into the actors eyes, it was as if they realized at that moment what a powerful tale they were retelling. Jim confirmed my notions at the end of the film when he mentioned that both these scenes were filmed as an artistic afterthought once scheduled production was complete. Of course my two favorite scenes were the ones not part of the real story but I can't be too upset. Here Jim gives something back to his actors to let them give back to him what this tale meant to them.

I believe this will be released mationwide in the states around Thanksgiving. Do your self a favor, see it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warm, charming, and full of wonder
Howard Schumann26 January 2004
As a parent, although I fortunately have not had the experience, I can understand the unspeakable tragedy of losing a child. In America by Jim Sheridan is a very personal film about coping with loss and slowly coming to terms with it. The film is based on Sheridan's personal experiences and a film in which according to the director "basically, everything that happens in the film happened". The story is based on the recollection of Sheridan's two daughters, Naomi and Kirsten (now in their twenties) and is more of a tone poem about childhood than a faithful depiction of real events.

Irish émigrés Johnny (Paddy Considine) and Sarah (Samantha Morton) come to America by car from Canada with their two young children, Christy (Sarah Bolger) and Ariel (Emma Bolger). The film shows the struggles of the family to find work. Johnny, the girls father, is an actor who goes to many auditions without success and their mother Sarah, a teacher, can only find work in an ice cream parlor. The family is forced to live in a squalid tenement in Manhattan filled with junkies, drug dealers, and transvestites. Frankie, the brother who died of a brain tumor is omnipresent in their thoughts and Christy says that he has told her that he will grant her three wishes when she asks.

Shame over poverty leads people to do reckless things and one of Christy's wishes has to be expended when her father gambles the rent money in an amusement park. When Halloween comes, the only place they can go trick or treating is in their own rundown building. Here they meet Mateo (Djimon Hounsou), one of the central characters of the film, a huge black man dying of AIDS who provides a bit of magic and emotional support. When Sarah becomes pregnant, they are even more haunted by Frankie's death but the prospect of a new life provides the impetus for them to persevere. In America has its flaws but it is warm, charming, and full of wonder and works on a very personal level to remind us that love, generosity, and even magic can exist in the most unlikely circumstances.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great little gem of a movie
gallopman18 September 2008
To those whom have never watched this movie, if you get a chance to rent or see it on cable,TV etc. watch it! This movie has so many moving moments. The core cast of five are superb. The Bolger sisters nearly steal the show. However, the highlight of the movie are Paddy Considine and Djimon Hounsou's performances. Considine is heartbreaking as a dad who has yet to come to grips with his young son who died. He is equal parts lost, distant and filled with rage, but can not find the will to cry over his lost son Frankie. Hounsou is the neighbor downstairs in the tenement where they all live, who befriends the family. The beauty of this film lies in the leisurely pace that it takes in certain sequences of the film. It's simply a mimicking of life and it's pattern that we all live through. Hounsou is filled with rage but he knows the pain of dying because he is in the late stages of AIDS. However, Hounsou's rage is tempered by his understanding and vulnerability being near Johnny and Sarah's family. One climactic scene has Considine and Hounsou almost at blows over some trust issues until Considine's character comes to the realization that Matteo is dying. Afterwards, their friendship blossoms. The winter scene when Considine and Hounsou's characters discuss Frankie is so honest and heartbreaking that it's a revelation that such a simple scene can be so moving in this age of movie-making. The family still is mourning the death of their brother and son but begin to move on, albeit with many bumps in the road. Another terrific plus for the movie is the beautiful and vibrant cinematography. I also really loved the music score. It's sweet and childlike but offers a sense of whimsy. The final scenes are some of the finest I've seen in film. Through Matteo's death and Johnny's oldest daughter he eventually finds a way to cry for his lost son. The way that he gets to that place is a remarkable and clever twist that I think that any of the hardest hearts would succumb to. To those who enjoy the big, high budget, mass media offerings this may not be the movie for you but if you take a chance you will be glad you did.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unremittingly bad
Jeremy Liebster21 June 2005
The 8.1 average for this film is almost as absurd as the film itself. I must say my girlfriend rented the video and I didn't have high hopes - it had a small girl on the front cover which normally doesn't bode well - but nevertheless I really tried to give it a chance. The problem was that while this film was intended to make me cry I have to shamefully admit that once or twice I actually found myself laughing at the sheer ludicrousness of it all. The desperate Irish family sneaking into America after the loss of their son - in the 1850s I might have believed it, but in 1985...why? How about the hilarious African music that played whenever Mateo appeared on the screen or the fact that this caged animal turned from lion to pussy cat after one knock on his door. And the fact that he was in the far advanced stages of AIDS yet had a strong, musclebound body that features in adverts for growth steroids. And I am not a medical man but I am sure that you can't get a brain tumour from falling down the stairs. I could cope with these absurdities if the film had been redeeming in any way, but the number of needless clichés in the film just ruined any hopes it may have had about trying to explore the nature and feelings surrounding the death of a child. Clichés like the smiling and cheery black waitress, the tramp with a heart of gold, the heartless hospital clerk clocking up the five figure childbirth bill, the idea of one life ending as another is beginning. At the end the family were even gazing wistfully at the moon. From start to finish this film was farcical. And while I have every sympathy with the fact that the film was made, that does not make the film worth watching.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply the finest film I've seen this year. What a thrilling experience.
olgabill16 November 2003
As a film director I attend many screenings. As a film lover I have been going to films all my life since I was a "kid" in the Bronx. This film, "In America" is one for the ages. Not one false note or as we say in the "biz"--not one hiccup. Jim Sheridan has been a extraordinary film-maker since "My Left Foot"--but this film is simply beyond words!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
my wife and i also hate this movie
dbyrne31920 May 2006
jeez, where do i begin? Oh yeah, the beginning. How and why is this poor, Irish family coming to New York. You get no back story on these people, so why do we care about them. Yeah, we want them to make a new start. Whoopee! So this poor family moves to the most expensive city in America and put their kids in a private school. With what money? She works at an ice cream parlor! He doesn't even start working until half way thru.

Their son, who fell down the stairs at age 2, dies of a brain tumor at 5. And the two maladies are related how?

We see a hot summer, fall trick or treating, a snowy winter, but there is barely any story worth caring about here. It's pieces of their life strung together with no real direction. It's just a bunch of sentimental vignettes. He pulls the air conditioner down the middle of the street cuz he is so determined. The kids are made fun of cuz their costumes are homemade. Boo Hoo. And these idiots gamble hundreds of dollars at a carnival game to win an E.T. doll?! Something like that makes me think the characters are out of their minds, not get behind them.

When the kids trick or treat in their, "junkie building", they go into the apartment of "the man who screams", and the dad wonders if it's okay? We have seen nothing to make us believe that their kids aren't going to be harmed in there. Excellent parenting.

Okay you get it. How this thing made anybody's top ten films, and was recommend by Ebert and Roeper is beyond me. Roper says, "I will remember it forever." Me too. I will remember it as the film that took 1 hour and 40 minutes of my life away that I can never get back. The merciful part is the cover say 1hr45mins. So, it could have been worse. My wife and I support our local indie film house and absolutely have no problem seeing a slower paced, downer movie, if we have a reason to care about it. There was just nothing about these people worth investing our emotions in. Watch this film at your own risk.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why???
secretstash26 March 2004
I found this film a deeply frustrating experience.

I constantly wanted to yell at the TV 'Why are you doing that?!?! Stop it!'.

Many of the situations were a direct result of stupid actions by the parents, and a complete disregard for common sense.

Basically this totally removed any sympathy I may have had for the characters.

What further added to this frustration was the feeling that this could have been a very solid movie - if only they had given the parents something resembling parental responsibility.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
poisonously smug
haroldschris24 August 2003
The guy who said this was "sugar-coated family values tosh" was being too kind. The film is pointless, self-indulgent and unbearably self-pitying. It's nothing less than a disgrace to Sheridan, a man who once had important things to say and a compelling way of saying them.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sappy corny tacky tear jerker full of clichés; acting's good, however.
jorisjoris17 October 2005
Unless you like movies which are completely predictable at every step, try to jerk your tears at every corner and are full of corny and tacky clichés, look elsewhere. Case in point: baby opening her eyes in an incubator for the first time while a family friend with Aids dies. Or take the ghastly final scene where father and daughters are staring at the moon watching the dead man ride by on his bicycle and say goodbye to him, the man's daughters persuading him to finally also say goodbye to his son, who died from a fall down the stairs.

This is the worst movie since Dear God or maybe even Death Becomes Her. The only redeeming feature here is the acting, which is good. Too bad it's wasted on the pathetic excuse for a story.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just A Nice Story About Irish Immigrants
ccthemovieman-18 October 2006
This was simply a nice human-interest story with some mumbo-jumbo voodoo stuff thrown in because filmmakers like that sort of thing.

Basically, it's about a nice Irish family which immigrates to the United States and resides in New York. These are poor people, but not the destitute situation of, let's say, the McCourt family from "Angela's Ashes."

What stood out to me were the nice, cute little girls in this family, played by real- life sisters, Emma and Sarah Bolger. They were the kind of sweet kids you wish you'd see more of in modern films. Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton played the parents, "Johnny and Sarah" nicely and Djimon Hounson played the nice neighbor with the strange powers.

Overall, it's a pleasant, positive feel-good film.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Touched deeply
angelsofoz13 May 2004
I have just finished watching the film and wanted to say how I was able to relate as a bereaved parent myself.. It is not very often that I have come across a film that portrays the heartache, pain and anguish that is left to behind to try to sort through and find a way to live your life peacefully & find some happiness..

For myself to watch in a film a father talk of his loss of faith and not being able to feel.. I understand that..

For myself to watch a mother try to deal and cope with guilt.. I understand that..

For myself to watch two siblings have to of suffered such heartache and such a young age.. I understand that because of my own children.

Well done it was beautiful and the two little girls of course were gorgeous..

Thankyou for sharing Franky's story, Frankys memory and hopefully opening up the eyes of others to the pain & struggles of bereaved parents.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How did this rubbish get nominated for 3 Oscars again?
bazmitch2323 June 2015
Oh yeah, cause it has "America" in the title. Yanks always ejaculate when they see the word "America" in the movie poster or trailer.

Also, it's about Irish people moving to America, so the Academy felt like that it was so important that they have to nominate it.

They probably haven't seen the movie and just nominated it anyway.

The sex scene was just ridiculous. If you thought the sex scene in Showgirls was bad, here, we have tribal music playing. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy........

Sarah looks more like she is performing a ritual rather than having it off. And after they climax, we hear "And that was how my brother was conceived."

It's just so laughable.

Also, Jim Sheridan wrote this movie with his daughters. Imagine writing a sex scene with your children.

Also, the character of Mateo can perform magic to bring people back to life? How out of place, stereotypical and stupid can you get?

The scene where Sarah is dying and Mateo bring her back to life, made put my head in my hands in disbelief.

"Really?" I thought. "This Oscar nominated movie has a scene where a character is brought back from the dead? When did this become Pokemon: The First Movie?"

And yes, the E.T. doll that is supposed to be a metaphor for bringing the dead back to life. On your bike!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot of strengths but they cannot over come the sentimental melodrama at the heart of the film
bob the moo5 May 2008
Although they tell border control that they are on holiday, Johnny, Sarah and their two daughters have immigrated illegally into the US in the early 1980's. They move to New York into a block full of junkies and down-and-outs. With little money and no friends the family face all manner of stresses and strains in their present and from their past – stresses that threaten the family unit and their future together.

The names in this project attracted me to it and I did have high hopes for it. The film itself though is a strange, rather frustratingly mixed affair that is really good in some regards but annoyingly soapy in others. The plot is not really a plot in the traditional sense but more the recollections of moving into the new world told from the perspective of elder daughter Christy. I was fine with this approach and hoped that it would be convincing, engaging, moving and so on. Although you can see everyone working against it, the film cannot avoid the spirit of sentimentality and soapy-drama seeping into the majority of the scenes. This takes away from the grit and reality of the drama and does make it harder to get into because it doesn't engage in the way that the same events may have if they had been delivered with more grit and less of the soapy-inspirational quality.

It is a shame that the film cannot shake this off but it is not the fault of the cast who are roundly really good. Considine yet again gives me good reason to respect him as an actor, likewise Morton who works well with him as well as individually. They are really well supported by two very natural and engaging performances from the Bolger sisters; they are "cute kids" but not in a way that is cloying or annoying. Hounsou has a strong presence in the film and to his credit he delivers this despite the material handed him – not because of it. The cast doesn't really have a weakness and one can only imagine what this film would have been if Sheridan had been given people capable of a lot less.

Overall then this is a mixed affair. The performances and direction makes it better than it could otherwise have been, but these cannot shake off the sentimentality and soapy feel that much of it has. The end result is a film that has great moments and a story that I really wanted to lose myself in but ultimately was just too melodramatic at its core for all the strengths to totally overcome.
Three Wishes and the American Dream
Chrysanthepop13 April 2008
'In America' is an enchanting intimate portrayal of striving for the 'American dream'. Striving for a dream involves lot more than merely following the dream and this is what 'In America' is about. It is a semi-autobiographical piece as it is based on director Jim Sheridan's own life experience. Sheridan's storytelling is very personal as we see the film from the elder daughter's point of view. Incidentally, his daughters co-wrote the screenplay. The end product is a heartfelt story of love, friendship, forgiving, surviving and hope. It sounds a bit clichéd thus one must watch 'In America' to see what I mean (no, it's not a typical drama about coming to America).

What further breathes life into the movie are the powerful performances. 'In America' rests on Paddy Considine and he bravely carries the film. It is an outstanding performance and I wonder why it got little recognition while Morton and Hounsou walked away with the accolades. A sublime Samantha Morton gives a beautifully nuanced subtle performance and Djimon Hounsou is phenomenal. These two actors indeed deserved all the recognition they got for their performances. The two child actors deserve special mention as I have hardly been impressed by child actors (who I find annoying on screen most of the time). Sarah Bolger particularly does well as the elder daughter. The supporting cast are all fit for their parts.

I loved the way Sheridan portrayed the relationship within the family and their wonderful and unique friendship with Matteo. It is shown in a very intimate and real way. While a lot is happening in the front, Sheridan also shows subtle events in the background. The background score contributes to the moments. On the whole, 'In America' is a genuine story. It is breathtaking!
A touching, magical film
rebeljenn30 December 2005
'In America' is a film about a family of Irish immigrants who move to Manhattan and face some hard times in America. The story is primarily told through the eyes of the little girls, and they go through the hard times of adjusting to a new life while learning loss and gain. There is a sense of magic and cultural identity in the film, and this makes it even much more touching when told through the eyes of the little girls who have had their lives turned upside down in the search for a new and better life in America. In some places, it is a little too sweet and magical, but I don't think it ruins the film because it is told through the eyes of the girl, and I am certain that many more immigrant families went through experiences like this and even worse than this. I also thought that the acting by the little girls was done well. It's a sweet film; it's a little sad, and it's magical. It just made me feel all warm inside. Go see it for yourself and see if you get caught up in the magic as much as I did.