IMDb > In America (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Beautiful

Author: meritt
25 October 2004

I love this little film. I was pregnant at the time when I saw it with my husband who is from Ireland. We both enjoyed the film for it's romance, it's humanity, and qualities that were so earthy and yet somehow ethereal. It was both beautiful and moving--one of those rare finds that illuminates, truth, beauty, and the honesty that art can evoke. Art--especially the theater and cinema has the power to inspire and can be so powerful. This film is living proof of that. The film has an integrity and a quality of strength that few films ever capture. It is my dream to both create and perform in little films like this. I want to inspire and create something that makes a spiritual leap--something that lasts and endures for all time because of its quality of a diamond in the rough. If you want to see something a bit unusual, though provoking, emotional, and rare--see this film.

One of the most authentically felt films I've ever seen.

Author: RealScience from Los Angeles, CA
21 November 2003

I'm not really big on this kind of film, but this one won me over in a big way. Jim Sheridan has such a sure hand as a director that even as the story meanders along, and you're not quite sure where things are going, you know HE knows and you end up trusting him and going along for whatever ride he wants to take you on. The characters and the actors portraying them are so winning, you don't want the movie to end. You just want to stay with them forever.

Every role, right down to the two border guards and the hospital administrator are perfectly cast and performed. The two sisters playing the daughters are amazing. But the acting in the film really belongs to Samantha Morton. It really is a high wire act. In lesser hands this character might have been completely unbelievable. But her love for her husband and children is so palpable, you completely buy everything she has to go through with them.

There were so many chances for cheap sentiment here, but the movie never went there. Really beautiful.

Two Stars Are Born, in a Touching, Powerful, Sensitive, Positive and Magnificent Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18 February 2005

Johnny (Paddy Considine), Sarah (Samantha Morton), Christy (Sarah Bolger) and Ariel (Emma Bolger) are a catholic Irish family, looking for a better life in America. They lost their beloved son and brother Frankie in an accident, and the family, specially Johnny and Sarah, is traumatized with his death. Johnny tries to find a job as an actor, but he lost his emotions and feelings with the death of Frankie and can not find a job, working as a taxi driver to support his family. Without any money, they move to a junkie building, where they become friend of Mateo (Djimon Hounsou), an African painter who has a serious disease, apparently AIDS. Their lives change and Johnny and Sarah learn to face and heal their wounds with the arrival of the baby and the friendship of Mateo.

"In America" is a magnificent and very positive tale of friendship and survival. The story is very simple and dramatic, but never corny, and the very convincing performance of the cast is amazing and touching. Jim Sheridan was able to direct the six years old Emma Bolger and achieve an outstanding performance in the role of Ariel. Her eleven years old sister, Sarah Bolger, has also a stunning dramatic and key role in the story. I dare to write that two stars are born! Summarizing, "In America" is a highly recommended touching, powerful, sensitive, positive and magnificent movie. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Terra dos Sonhos" ("Land of the Dreams")

I was blown away by other's neg comments. I enjoyed it!!

Author: bertelv from USA, San Diego
22 October 2004

The story is if a family running away from a tragedy. They find a tenement in a big city and try to survive. They do okay. Then through a neighbor who has AIDS and a new baby they learn to face their problem.

I read some of the comments of others. They all seem to be negative. I really enjoyed it. My family and I were riveted the whole time. I saw neither inconsistencies nor over melodrama. That is, I saw no more that in any other movies. All movies are just snapshots and almost all are lies. This one is no more or less in that regard. It was a melodrama about over coming tragedy. It communicated to me.

The actors were realistic. I especially enjoyed the girls. I also enjoy seeing

Sorry for you naysayers. You are just picking the nits from the nats.

Angels in Manhattan

Author: jotix100 from New York
20 December 2003

Two of the reasons for going to see this film are: Emma and Christy Bolger. They steal the movie from under more established stars. They make us see their new world through their eyes. It is magic to them to be in a new city, where they discover new things every day. They are disarming.

America, the land that receives so many immigrants can be a hostile environment for a lot of people. For Johnny and Sarah, New York is a place full of surprises, as it must be to a lot of people whose dream is to make it there. This film is about their struggle to survive in pursuing a dream that turns out to be a nightmare for them, in many respects.

Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton make the struggling Irish immigrants very real under the direction of Jim Sheridan, who is supposed to be the Johnny of the story. What they have to deal with in their new home, eventually make them conquer a world that's not kind to them. Nothing is given to them on a silver platter, which is the case with most illegal people in the country, so their tale is very believable and true to the pioneer spirit they have within themselves.

It is the fantastic performance of the two Bolger sisters, as the daughters, which brings this film into focus. They have their feet on the ground and they know the ordeal their parents are facing. Their luminous faces and natural endear them to us in a special way.

We owe Mr. Sheridan and family a lot for their courage to show us what they went through at their arrival in America.

3 Wishes

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
10 December 2003

Greetings again from the darkness. I have no idea what has taken so long for this film to be released. Director/Producer/Writer Jim Sheridan ("My Left Foot", "In the Name of the Father" "The Boxer") has always been a tremendous filmmaker and with "In America" he has become a wonderful story teller. This semi-autobiographical picture was co-written by Sheridan and his two daughters and is the story of an Irish family's immigration to New York. I am a fan of Levinson's "Avalon" and Scorsese's "Gangs of New York" and I will rank this with both. It causes what I call "crossover". That is when I no longer feel I am watching a movie, but that I become part of the story. The characters are no longer actors, but real people. The writing, directing and acting are all terrific. Paddy Considine (a Stephen Rea lookalike), Samantha Morton ("Minority Report"), Djimon Hounsou ("Gladiator") are all exceptional in their roles. However, this movie belongs to the real-life Bolger sisters, Sarah and Emma, who play Christy and Ariel. Ariel's innocence and need to believe along with Christy's wisdom-beyond-her-years truly make this film work. Rarely do child actors carry a movie of significance. While these two bring joy, laughter, sadness and tears, they never cross the line of overly cute or overly sympathetic. Another odd twist to this film is the importance that Spielberg's "ET" plays. The dream of home and the presence of aliens (drug dealers, etc) in their tenemant tie in nicely. Their friendship with Mateo (Hounsou) is both bizarre and heartwarming. This is an extremely emotional ride for the audience, but one well worth taking.

Welcome to America

Author: leftyguns2 from Woodbridge Twp NJ
10 March 2005

This is the story of an Irish family who comes into the US via Canada and settles in a rundown New York City neighborhood as n immigrant (exile) myself, I can very much relate to what the family was going through . Hot summers , different culture, eccentric neighbors, theft., illness. I recall my own bout with Nephritis shortly after arrival, along with a long hospital stay.My family settled in the most rundown corrupt city in the US . Newark NJ. So I know how it is to land in an undesirable town location.

The family consists of a father , mother , two young girls, and the subtle presence of a boy who died shortly before the family emigrated. His presence however is felt through the film. .

The mother becomes pregnant soon after , but must make a choice. If the child is born too early he/she would probably not survive, if carried to term the mother's life would be in peril.

A subplot develops when the family befriend an eccentric black painter. Mateo. played brilliantly by Djimon Hounsou. They establish a bond that transcends their different backgrounds.

The pregnant mother takes the courageous step not to terminate her pregnancy.

As it is my practice I will not divulge anymore information, since It is my function as an author to comment on a film in order to either promote it or tell the reader it isn't worth his/her time. Also i'm not going to give away the best scenes and dialogue. That my dear reader you will see for yourself when you view this masterpiece of a film.

You must see it.

Sensitive family portrait

Author: Travis_Bickle01
23 May 2005

Heartwarming movie about an Irish family who emigrates to the U.S. in order to find happiness, a better future for their children and above all to get over the death of their son Frankie. The story is told from the point of view of the eldest daughter Christy. The movie starts when the family crosses the American border. What follows is the struggle that comes with starting up a new life as a lower class Irish family.

'In America' is a wonderful movie with a touching story and outstanding acting performances. Paddy Considine was the only one who was a bit disappointing, although he wasn't bad at all. Samantha Morton was excellent and very believable as a strong Irish mother. Djimon Hounsou was truly amazing. It's hard to describe how good his acting was! Although his role wasn't that big, he has made quite an impression on me. Personally, I loved the following two scenes the most. First there was the scene were Ariel and Christy tell Mateo about the loss of their brother Frankie. Mateo spontaneously starts crying, but what makes the scene unforgettable is the small white hand of Ariel on the strong black arm of Mateo. Beautiful! The second scene that I loved a lot, was the scene where Johnny comes to Mateo. He tells him a bit about his lost son, tells him about the fact he can't laugh or cry anymore, asks him if he's in love with his wife. The answer of Mateo, he tells him he's in love with anything that lives, is another strong scene with breathtaking acting from Hounsou's part! And then there are the two girls. Charming, heartwarming, very touching and sweet, spontaneous and honest! Both give amazing performances. The stole my heart from the minute I saw them. The funny detail is that they really are two sisters.

I don't know anymore how often I have to repeat it, but this movie is a must see for everyone. This is the kind of movie you enjoy every time you'll see it again. Jim Sheridan made (again!) a great movie. See it!

In Sipid

Author: Arch Snuggles Stanton (archstanton@ididitmyway.com) from Lycanthropeville, USA
3 March 2004

Warning for eighth graders of all ages--SPOILERS WITHIN (nyah)

Take a couple cute kids, a couple buckets of maudlin sentimentality and mix in a couple dashes of cultural stereo-typing and you've got a movie? It would appear so, and although I give it one star for not blowing anything up and another star for not having any fart jokes, I can't really see any point to this film ... at all--at least not one that wasn't made far better by about a bazillion other films before it. What? Oh what am I saying, of course there's a point. Silly me. If you chuck your life out the window because of an accident you had nothing to do with, you can illegally emigrate to America where you can live in the ghetto and gamble your children's future on a whim until a rich eccentric pops up and pays for all your mistakes and Hollywood makes it all better by spin doctoring your inane story and fairy-tale dumb-luck to add a smidgen of respectability to an otherwise shameless business of exploitation ... and all the nice men in two-thousand dollar suits slept peacefully at night with lingerie models on tops of hundred dollar bills, happily ever after. The end. Can I go now?

Advance US Screening plus Q&A with Jim Sheridan

Author: Samifoni Delrico (sdelrico@yahoo.com) from Chicago, IL
14 November 2003

My girlfriend and I were lucky enough this week to attend an advance screening of this film as well as a Q&A session with director Jim Sheridan. Let me say, this film was absolutely amazing. I felt like falling to my knees and weeping for joy as we left the theater. This film is the story of Jim, his wife and daughters coming to America from Dublin. It is not the story that I expected of immigrants coming to this country to abuse the system but rather a tale of hard working folks coming here to start over.

Jim was afraid that some of the material may be too heavy. I disagree. There was more honest, heartfelt joy in this movie than I have ever seen. The acting from all involved was simply superb. I'm sure most of what you hear about this movie from critics will be focused on the two daughters. Don't get me wrong, these two girls could teach any actor a lesson or two. But the talent does not end with them. Jim's directing style of telling the actors how he sees the story and then letting them figure out how to show it has never been more successful than in this film.

Two scenes in particular struck me as I was immersed in this film. Looking into the actors eyes, it was as if they realized at that moment what a powerful tale they were retelling. Jim confirmed my notions at the end of the film when he mentioned that both these scenes were filmed as an artistic afterthought once scheduled production was complete. Of course my two favorite scenes were the ones not part of the real story but I can't be too upset. Here Jim gives something back to his actors to let them give back to him what this tale meant to them.

I believe this will be released mationwide in the states around Thanksgiving. Do your self a favor, see it.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]