IMDb > The Concert for New York City (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Concert for New York City (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great

Author: jlaughlin05 from United States
17 January 2006

I thought it was great. Sure, it was put together in some haste but overall it was very well done. In my view, The Who almost stole the show. I was moved by the way they started with the Union Jack as a backdrop and then replaced it at a dramatic moment with the Stars and Stripes (I think during Baba O'Reilly). That was followed with the US and British flags side by side, depicting the solidarity between our two nations, not just post-9/11 but really extending back in time to the musical British invasion in the sixties, and further still to WWII. The array of artists who turned out was similarly impressive. From David Bowie to Destiny's Child to Bon Jovi to Five for Fighting to Paul McCartney, it was quite a lineup. I would watch again anytime.

Outstanding from start to finish

Author: Ted Nothnagle (ted@tnothnagle.com) from Manchester, NH
19 December 2001

From the reunion of the Who, to Billy Joel performing Miami 2017, to Adam Sandler's Opera Man, to getting to see Hillary Clinton booed off the stage -- this was an outstanding concert. It took place in Madison Square Garden, and the audience was comprised of NYPD, FDNY, POPD officers, and other rescue workers. It was absolutely inspiring to see such talented musicians expressing their appreciation for their hard work. To the best of my knowledge, the original 5 hour VH1 concert was never rebroadcast. CBS aired a truncated version the following week, but I certainly hope that if and when Viacomm releases it onto DVD, it is released in its full format.

This is a must see concert, if you can find it.

Best Concert Special Ever

Author: Miss Direction from South Carolina
28 March 2002

I was lucky enough to catch this when it first aired on VH1, and I still look back on it fondly months later. The selection of musicians is great, and Woody Allen's and Kevin Smith's short films are both touching and hysterically funny. Jon Bon Jovi's performance is my favorite. Don't miss this one.

Very dissapointed!

Author: Timelles from Philly, PA
6 February 2002

I was very dissapointed with the concert, I'm sorry I purchased it on DVD, the only good thing is the money (hopefully) went to aid the victim relief. From Opera-man forgetting that kids were in the audience to the Backstreet Boys dedicating "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" to the victims families, it was obvious that the concert was "rushed". It truly lacked continuity.

I would highly recommend watching "America: A Tribute To Heroes" It was a phenomenal event that truly lived up to it's title.