IMDb > Cherish (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cherish

Cherish More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I saw two different versions...??!!

Author: ruthann-renaud from United States
3 August 2009

I saw this movie a few months ago on a local TV station on the late, late show. It looked good and I stayed with it to the end. It's a good chick flick with enough to hold anybody's interest. The fact that Zoe's apartment becomes a prison and she makes do with what she has gets interesting and intriguing. Zoe's relationship with the man who keeps attaching her monitoring device was also quite interesting. That was several months ago. The other night, the same station rebroadcast the same movie on the late, late show and what I saw came across as a totally different movie--different plot twists, etc. from what I saw several months ago. Perhaps an alternate version exists...please check.

Quirky story

Author: mrchaos33 from Toronto, Ontario
5 July 2003

Cherish is one of those films that people like to call `quirky.' It is a strange little story about a fantasy-prone woman named Zoe who winds up under house arrest for a crime that she didn't commit. She finds ways to cope with her situation, which at first doesn't seem that bad. There are worse ways to do your time than in a huge Ikea furniture decorated loft in San Francisco, but the limitations of movement soon become obvious, and you realize that anywhere can become a prison if you aren't allowed to leave. Robin Tunney rises above the messy script to actually give Zoe some life, while Tim Blake (O Brother Where Art Thou?) Nelson's love-sick deputy is an understated gem of a performance. If nothing else Cherish is a good antidote to the smash-‘em-up summer blockbusters currently clogging up multi-plex screens.

a wonderful array of emotions

Author: hellparadiso from Dallas, TX
20 November 2004

I happened to catch this flick when there was nothing else on worth watching. It sounded a little weird, so I thought I'd give it fifteen minutes to see if I liked it. I ended up giving it fifteen dollars, as I immediately ran out and bought it when I finished watching. This movie has all the aspects of movie-making that appeal to me: bizarre and outrageous fantasy sequences that we've all had at some point or another, an almost unbelievably extraordinary situation that this almost unbelievably uninteresting woman experiences, an exceptionally quirky romance, creepy stalker stuff, and moments that made my heart skip a beat. This movie is worth watching for the visuals alone. Unorthodox camera angles, use of lighting, fast-motion film, and almost assaultive colors combine with rather brilliant acting from a colorful but oddly realistic cast. On a more superficial note, Robin Tunney is, as usual, incredibly hot and SO cute as the socially-inept Zoe, who magically transforms during the course of the movie to a smart, savvy, street-wise broad...an odd result from being placed under house arrest for a year. The movie peaks at the end in an unexpected few moments of absolute terror, and I often found my breath catching in my throat in fear. On top of the suspense is the equally unexpected romance between Zoe and her "keeper." A man who appears almost grotesque in his anal retentiveness and boredom, also changes drastically as a result of his interaction with this striking and unpredictable woman.

Fabulously written and filmed, Cherish is at once suspenseful, romantic, hilarious, terrifying, and artful. Give this a chance and an open mind, and you may find a new addition to your movie collection.

Superior movie.

Author: ravingoptimist
2 March 2003

I haven't seen anything quite this good in a year or two, at least. It's funny, it's scary, it's romantic, but best of all, it's completely engrossing. You'll forget you're in your apartment and think you're in hers. It managages to be quirky and real at the same time. Also, surprisingly, the villain actually SCARED me. I got the chills, unexpectedly, and that hasn't happened to me even in a supposedly scary movie in quite some time.

Something Mild

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
10 June 2002

CHERISH (2002) **1/2 Robin Tunney, Tim Blake Nelson, Jason Priestley, Liz Phair, Nora Dunn, Brad Hunt, Lindsay Crouse, Ricardo Gil. Offbeat comedy/drama about a social misfit animator (Tunney in a winning, flaky performance) who finds herself under house arrest replete with ankle monitor while trying to piece together who her mysterious stalker is to boot. Nelson co-stars as the deputy technician to see to her security …and falling in love with her. Filmmaker Finn Taylor infuses the airiness of his heroine with bubblegum love songs on the soundtrack and camera trickery yet the film's uneven tone of either being a comic romp or a dark woman-as-victim melodrama.

Robin Tunney...Beautiful, funny, witty, and perfect!

Author: narnerbee from U.S.A.
5 September 2003

Robin Tunney...beautiful, funny, witty, and perfect in the warm hearted drama/thriller! Tunney is outstanding as a young beauty, unjustified with no proof of innocence, yet her ZOE character prevails when she inspires the cop (Nelson) who checks up on her while she deals with the pressures of house-arrest. Taylor Finn give the audience a little bit of comedy, drama, and the chills(the finale) as this sweet-sour movie shows us the truth about cops, and their wicked ways! A lesson is taught in almost every scene, and all the cast are well in depth, as their characters are well introduced. Filled with 80's galore, and wonderful writing by Finn, "Cherish" will satisfy on every level a film can take you!

Yuck

Author: jjmoney (hermjon@aol.com) from Los Angeles
27 February 2002

I saw this movie recently, and I honestly have no idea how it got into sundance. I'm too annoyed, actually, to even give a plot synopsis. Basically, the movie is overly precious and tries valiantly (and somewhat offensively) to be "indie" by offering up a useless supporting character who is a "little person", confined to a wheelchair, and also...gasp...Gay! Maybe if the script were even remotely well written, this could have worked, but obviously the writer/director thought he could validate this insipid film by being "edgy" and "daring" enough to portray such a "brave" character. Yeah right.

Is this a goofy, charming little romance? no. Is it a thriller? It sure tries to be, especially in the last 15 minutes or so, but fails miserably. A note to the director: if you want to make a thriller, you should make sure there aren't plot/logic holes in your script large enough to drive a truck through. or a wheelchair, operated by a gay midget. I'm not even going to say anymore. Some women I was with actually enjoyed this film...so maybe there is an audience, after all.

Personally, I thought it was junk.

what was there to like?

Author: cherbu
21 June 2002

This movie gives all it has to give in the first 10 minutes. Hackneyed, predictable script exacerbated by unimaginative direction and repetitive camera work. plot stalled between dull fantasy of female hysteria and a condescending out-of-touch vigilanteism. a major psychological turning point for the protagonist involves an iron and her hair style. anything good in it seemed ripped off from pretty in pink, amelie, run lola run, just to name a few. sound track uninspired (even "the wedding singer" was better in this regard).

A bit of a quirky movie, Robin Tunney and Tim Blake Nelson are good.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
18 February 2009

Robin Tunney is Zoe, quite ditzy and a bit of a romantic. She loves music and regularly gets in trouble with her supervisor at work because she listens on her headphones and gets distracted.

Zoe gets herself invited to a party and, mesmerized by Jason Priestley as Andrew, their boss at work, she drinks too much. Andrew offers to drive her home but she ends up going it alone ... until a stranger jumps in her car and tries to hijack her. In the process she hits and kills a San Francisco cop, caused by the hijacker's foot on the accelerator, and he manages to slip away, unseen. But his leather jacket gets ripped on her door. Plus, he ends up with her phone.

The police come, she fails a Breathalyzer test, and they don't believe her story. Awaiting trial she gets put on hose arrest, with an ankle bracelet that allows her only 40 feet of mobility.

Tim Blake Nelson as Daly ("name's Bill") is the government worker who has to keep tabs on Zoe. In time he starts to have sympathy for her, and she starts to enjoy his visits. But her captivity is a trying one, as she is always looking for ways to expand her range. Plus she is disappointed that no one believes her story so no one is looking for the hijacker.

SPOILERS: With only one day before her trial, Daly gives her a break of sorts, arranging that she can have 9 hours, from 9AM to 6PM, of freedom to see if she can find the guy. She uses phone records and finds him, but it is a tense stand-off with police that ensues. Presumably the evidence they found in his apartment, plus the torn jacket, would clear her name. But she disappears, and at the end we see her in a bikini and on the bow of a yacht, no one knows where.

Hard to accurately describe,easy to like(even love)

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
6 November 2007

I mean,really,how DO you describe or categorize a film that goes as such:

A shy,awkward young woman named Zoe(Robin Tunney,getting a rare chance to truly shine)loses herself in her music,even while at work. In an attempt to become more sociable,she goes to a club to be with the office Lothario(Jason Priestley),where she subsequently gets fairly drunk. In a moment of utter absent-mindedness,she allows for a guy who's been stalking her to invade her car,hi-jacking her and killing a police officer with her vehicle. He gets away in the ensuing wreck,leaving her behind to suffer the consequences.

Able to avoid serious jail time(At least until trial),she is instead placed on "House arrest" and monitored by ankle bracelet,and thus developing a relationship with the deputy/technician(Tim Blake Nelson)charged with installing and checking the device. But as she is holed up in a large apartment dwelling in a rough part of town,her amount of cabin fever and her increasing desire to find the man who framed her for the crime,she becomes more restless and more willing to break free,placing her,fate both long-term and immediate,in serious jeopardy.

Directed and written by Finn TAylor,this film sort of glides in and out of being a romantic comedy,a thriller and a complex character drama. While the film seems to move at a didactic pace that almost defies the viewer to wonder what is the purpose or aim of the film,but the acting(particularly from Tunney,Nelson and Brad Hunt,as the stalker),the uniqueness of story and the enthusiastically retro soundtrack(peppered with '80s pop hits)make this film tough to forget. I found myself drawn to see this again after first renting it as an afterthought. Give it a try and maybe you'll feel the same,too.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]