IMDb > Cherish (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

swell

Author: brianh-9 from Mississippi, USA
9 April 2004

Well,the film is total baloney,but at least it's entertaining baloney.The film was also kind of aykward to me. It has moments I thought were great. The music is perfect for the film,too. Without Robin Tunney,this film would've badly suffered. She just overwhelmed me with how she grew more and more sexy as the time progressed. She tells Blake Nelson,it's the Yoga. She is quirky,vulnerable,and defines her character's situation adequately. I loved watching her work the film over. She brings life to a film that could've easily folded without that right performance. The film works best when she is going through the rough transition of living trapped in her rundown apartment. The director proves the film's style best evoking the inner struggle to retain sanity in confines with limitted interaction with people. Finn Taylor is able to capture with her camera(using a lot of quick cuts and time lapsing)the days weighing on Tunney as if time is the ultimate enemy. I enjoyed the film despite it's easy moments of logic lunacy..mainly the part where Tunney finds the person who put her in the situation. This reprise of sorts to "Run Lola Run" really was too much for me to accept. The relationship with Blake Nelson(her collar agent) and Richard Gill(the gay crippled little man)are the definate means that keep this film afloat. ***1/2/*****

Not cherished but well liked!

Author: txcanela (txcanela@yahoo.com) from Texas
11 July 2003

I like this movie. As far as perfomances go, Tim Blake Nelson's Daly was great! It was worth the watch and worth the listen because the music was great too. Cherish is unrequited love at it's best! Of course I liked Zoe (good performance by Tunney) but it was Daly that I related to most of all. In my world I am Daly, always waiting and hoping for that elusive bliss to be reciprocated! A solid 7 out of 10!

One of those unique films you wish you could watch again for the first time

Author: Christina Craft from Victoria, B.C.
20 November 2003

Someone recommended this film and I didn't know anything about the plot, the soundtrack, the actors, etc. And I LOVED all the surprises. This film is loaded with great retro relics, including a couple of roller skating scenes. This is one of those films that goes hand-in-hand with Office Space, The Secretary or Donnie Darko for their unique perspectives. Too bad scripts like this are so few and far between.

Loved this movie!

Author: mw542003 from Louisiana
26 July 2004

I happened upon this movie and loved it! It's nice to see a movie that's really worth your time. It was so simply done - taking place for the most part in one room. It didn't require big explosions, etc. I think when a movie like this is good, it really says something about what it takes to make a good film. I'm not familiar with the actor who played Daly. But I will look for more of him. In the beginning of the movie, the Daly character is not attractive. But as his character and relationship to Zoe progresses, you just love him. I just wish that he and Zoe could have ended up saying goodbye or something. I wanted something more for him. I loved it!!!!!

Interesting premise goes badly wrong

Author: tmk1 from New York City
20 February 2005

The first third of this film was promising, but it got so badly out of hand by the end that I can't seriously recommend anyone bother watching it. I found it really difficulty to be sympathetic to this main character who didn't seem to be affected by the death of a policeman--even if she wasn't responsible. Her main concern during her confinement seems to be how to foil the ankle device, not thinking about her screwed-up life, or how to clear her name.

Worst of all, there is so little motivation for many of her actions that the whole thing just falls apart. The ending made me furious--she goes through a thoroughly unbelievable search for the guy who got her into this mess, uncovers plenty of evidence to clear herself then breaks her own foot to escape! That's not just stupid, that's insulting. Maybe they were bending over backwards not to have her just fall into the arms of her rescuer, but that could have been a far more satisfying scenario.

I really loved "Dream with the Fishes" but after seeing this I won't be so quick to seek out another film by this director. The guy clearly has some issues with stalking women. This COULD have been a really good film, but it ended up just pissing me off.

Would Have Cherished Better Writing!

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
27 April 2015

Cherish (2002): Dir: Finn Taylor / Cast: Robin Tunney, Tim Blake Nelson, Nora Dunn, Jason Priestley, Lindsay Crouse: The title may have significance but indirectly in terms of describing the plot, which may have been inspired by the superior Alfred Hitchcock classic Rear Window. The title may indicate the heroine's love for vinyl music or her obsession of two men, one being a stalker who plasters her photos all over his apartment walls, and the other being a technician in charge of the ankle bracelet she must wear during house arrest. Robin Tunney stars as an office worker isolated socially using music to cope with stress. When leaving a club she is attacked by a stalker, which leads to the death of a police officer when her car swerves into him. The stalker isn't seen, and Tunney was under the influence of alcohol. Directed by Finn Taylor who also made Dream With the Fishes. Tunney holds her own bringing out the desperate anguish of a woman trapped by injustice and fear. Tim Blake Nelson as the visiting officer is really a potential romantic fling, which prevents the character from being more interesting. Nora Dunn is given the standard role of lawyer, and Jason Priestley steals moments as Tunney's obsession. Lindsay Crouse plays a therapist who will attempt to help Tunney get her crap together. Theme regards the things that we should cherish but take for granted. Score: 5 ½ / 10

Had me glued to the TV watching it

Author: grlewycky from United States
3 August 2013

Just stumbled upon this movie on one of the movie stations and since I love Robin Tunney and never heard of this movie and ended up watching it and later recording it.

She plays an amazing role for a difficult situation brought on by a stalker and being at the wrong place at the wrong time when she was just having a simple easy life with a job she really liked.

She is quite clever in a few parts and has some love twists with some unexpected.

Movie has a great selection of 80s music, suspense along with a few twists and surprises and a good cast.

Inconsistent Tone and Unsympathetic Heroine Wears Out Its Welcome

Author: museumofdave from Corning, California
15 April 2013

Generally seeking what independent films can bring to the otherwise homogenized world of mainstream cinema, i came to this film with happy anticipation, especially since Mick LaSalle at the SF Chronicle gave it an exceptional rating: I cannot say I actively disliked it, but i did not like it much.

I was put off by the considerable amount of inconsistency in the plot, by the vapidity of the heroine, and by the aimless meandering when the story needed focus; this film seemed like an excellent first effort at the craft of film, crammed with some good ideas (how does one find contentment in a media-driven culture, for instance), but the big-wow suspense of the hidden stalker seemed tossed in to assuage the teen audience, in contrast to an older crowd that might be moved by the main character's dilemma; the film did not gel into a consistent whole, but was an assemblage of some interesting ideas in need of a stronger script and a better editor.

A stalker, a cop killing, an ankle bracelet, and lots of music

Author: blanche-2 from United States
15 August 2012

Robin Tunney stars in "Cherish," a 2002 film featuring Jason Priestley, Brad Hunt, and Tim Blake Nelson.

Tunney plays Zoe Adler, a pretty young woman with all kinds of appeal to men, which is fine with her. One night, she's about to hook up with a hot guy named Andrew (Jason Priestley), who's going to drive her home because she had too much to drink. She realizes she left her cell phone in her car. When she goes to get it, a man gets into her car and forces her to drive. When she sees a policeman walking toward them, she refuses to drive any longer. The perp guns the pedal and the cop is killed, and the man escapes.

Zoe is arrested, given an ankle bracelet, and put into a run-down apartment until her trial. There, she tries desperately to amuse herself by ironing her hair, spying on the people above her by climbing up through the closet, roller skating, looking in a mirror and pretending she's talking to a guy she just met, and anything else she can think of. She also becomes friends with the wheelchair-bound gay guy downstairs and the person who comes to check on her ankle bracelet, Daly (Nelson). He develops a crush on her and wants to help her prove her innocence. Meanwhile, her stalker, who took her cell phone, is still around, and she's desperate to learn his identity and get some evidence against him.

Many scenes in this film come off like music videos, as music -- and good music -- is an important part of the film. Hall & Oates, one of my favorite groups, is well represented, as well as the title song, "I'm Not in Love," "Tainted Love," "Get Up and Move," and many others. A scene toward the end of the movie is a rip-off of Run, Lola, Run, complete with the pulsating rhythm accompanying it.

Tunney is an underrated actress, and as usual, she's excellent here, giving a quirky, sexy performance. The casting is interesting - Nora Dunn plays her attorney, and Ricardo Gil gives a good performance as her neighbor Max, who besides being in a wheelchair, is a dwarf.

All in all, though a few questions go unanswered and the ending is ambiguous, this is a very good movie, well worth seeing.

Not quite what it appears

Author: lovefromgirl from West Bumblefrak, NY
3 August 2011

(No, seriously, I am going to spoil you. May lightning strike my annoying neighbors if I lie.) This is not a love story. Not exactly.

See, I went into "Cherish" thinking it would be a lot heavier on the romantic comedy and not so much on the suspense. The trailer I saw was misleading that way. The truth is that it's a story about a quirky girl who finds herself in a boatload of trouble, and somewhere in there is a man with whom she could be quite happy--but the film zigged where I'd have zagged, and so there is no on-screen payoff for Zoe and Daly. Given the chemistry between them, that disappointed me. Still, it was worth the two hours and fifteen minutes I spent watching it on IFC, and Robin Tunney is charming as all-get-out. Also, I now want to explore the crawl space in the closet in the next room over.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]