Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie (2002) Poster

Jonah is a catch!
rolleriffic5 October 2002
I just got back from the theatre from seeing this film. I took my 3 year old daughter who is an avid veggie fan to see the film. It was her first movie and Jonah was well worth being her inaugural film going experience. But this is far from just a kid's movie. One of the Chicago newspaper reviewers said that this was not a film for adults without children. This would be far from accurate. The movie certainly works for children, but those familiar with the Veggie franchise understand that much in the same way as Bugs Bunny, The Flintstones, and the Muppets that much of the humor is for the adults.

The movie works on a number of levels:

1) It tells a cohesive story for both the Veghead and the Veggie novice. Three of the main characters in the film are the Pirates who don't do anything who have a prominent part in the Veggie sing-a-long videos. However, there is nothing in the film that hinges on previous experience with Bob, Larry et al.

2) The movie entertains and instructs. Veggie Tales are educational. They are meant to be. This film is certainly no exception. The point of this story is to be compassionate and merciful. It makes that point by telling the story of a character who was neither and a God who was both. The story effectively segues between Veggie present and Bible past to let the modern day characters learn from the Biblical ones. I do not want to leave you with the impression that this film is merely a 90 minute flannel graph (Oooh flannel graph) for church going children. This is a fine and funny film for kids of all ages (Including 38). The animation is crisp. The musical numbers are fun and provocative.

3) Junior Asparagus is in a limited role. I am not certain if I am the only one who thinks this but Jr. Asparagus is the animated Wesley Crusher. (He actually does help save the ship in one episode.) I like Jr. in small doses and I was certainly able to swallow his part in this movie.

4) Larry the Cucumber is an integral part of the film. I am a big fan of Larry and I certainly think he is the funniest cucumber making movies today.

5) Silliness abounds. From the opening car trip sing-a-long to the closing credits, the high standard of Veggie insanity is maintained.

The film is certainly not Citizen Kane for the green grocer section. It could certainly be better in parts. Some of the teaching points are a little too pronounced. I also took umbrage with a legal proceeding taking place in a land where we are continually told that they did not know wrong from right. Also I write very silly songs and live near Lombard, IL where the movie was filmed and my phone never rang once. The film is certainly strong enough to overcome these minor flaws (but when Veggie 2 starts being created, I better get a call!)

Overall, Big Idea Productions should be very pleased with this movie and I think the film going public should be as well.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All Hands On Deck!...And Get Me Some Popcorn!
MovieRat-213 December 2002
After countless 1/2 hour videos and even more countless silly songs, Veggie Tales hits the big screen with a whale of a tale (get it, WHALE of a tale? HA HA!) in JONAH: A VEGGIE TALES MOVIE. True to the Veggie theme, the entire cast is made completely of talking fruits and veggies (save for a camel, a whale, and an annoying little catapillar named Khalil). Although the movie tells the biblical story of Jonah, plenty of artistic lisence is taken to provide an upbeat, musical, and knee slapping experiance for the entire audiance. And when I mean the entire audiance, I mean everyone from little bitty kids to adults. You see, the creators of Veggie Tales (Big Idea) always try to throw in a few jokes every now and then that only adults will be able to enjoy, but unless you are actually paying attention to the film you might miss it.

Now I've said that artistic lisence is taken in telling the Jonah story; however, this does not mean that you are being told an entirely different story from the one in the bible. Overall, the story told in JONAH is basically the same as it is told in the Bible, so parents don't worry about showing this film to your kids...in fact, I encourage you to see this film with your kids. Have a good time with them. Know that you are seeing a quality film and a pretty faithful retelling of the Jonah story.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I laughed, I cried...it moved me, Bob!
LVW_happygirl_411 October 2002
Do you know all of Larry's Silly-Songs by heart? Can you and your friends/children/parents recite an entire episode of VeggieTales without having the video in the VCR? If you answered yes, then I see no reason why you won't absolutely adore this great accomplishment and wonderful new addition to the Big Idea Productions family.

A full-length VeggieTales movie (83 minutes is a bit on the short side, but that works better for the kids) is slightly different from one of their videos. The plot is more developed and drawn out; attention is given to more details; the full story of Jonah (as found in the Bible...Veggie style, of course) is portrayed. The kids might get a little antsy with such a long movie compared to the Veggies they're used to, but they broke it up nicely with the narration sections.

The whale was impressive, but it might scare some of the kids at first. After the initial "swallowing", though, it's not nearly as scary. The creators didn't sacrifice the message to release this movie on the big screen, and I was proud to see it.

Overall, I loved the movie. Larry was cute, the message was positive, the songs were entertaining and educational/fun. If you've never experienced VeggieTales, you might not get all of the jokes or might think it's a little strange to see "hopping" talking vegetables, but believe me...it's worth it.

Happy movie watching, and stick around through the credits for a cute little addition!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you're a Veggie-Tales fan ...
Bryce Rumbles21 October 2002
... you'll love it! Lots of insolent humour, good songs (a great Gospel number, for instance, and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything"), and a moral -- a little broadly spread, but not unpalpable.

It's sort of nice to have God in a movie without his name being taken "in vain." Nice change from the sort of movie I prefer.

And my kids loved it.

I hope this gets a wider distribution before its video release.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
as my introduction to VeggieTales, and as someone who isn't even too much into Christianity, I was very surprised by Jonah
MisterWhiplash19 July 2007
Jonah: A Veggie Tales movie should only be the kind of fodder to show to kids who have gotten too bored with the boring Bible readings in Sunday school. But somehow, based on a recommendation from a friend (who sometimes leans towards the strange and abstract anyway), I watched the Veggie Tales movie and it is actually much better than should ever be considered. A first impression I had looking at the Veggie-Tales, even from afar, was that it looked like the healthy, slightly (only slightly) more coherent version of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which I am still mixed on. But it's a little different than that, at least as far as the movie goes.

It is ultimately very silly and marketed more for a specific target group of kids- Christian kids looking for morals in the stories of the Old Testament, in this case being the tale of 2nd chances taken and missed and slipped up on with a prophet via a giant whaler- and yet there is an appeal as far as taking less than two pages of the bible and making it into a 75 minute movie. And it actually works at being unpretentious in its less detailed CG animation in this form. This isn't Pixar that one will be getting, but a lot of very clean-looking talking vegetables (where are their arms, minus the caterpillar guy, you might ask), and with a lot of extra-goofy songs; one of them is even a gospel tune, sung by angels whilst Jonah is trapped in the whale's belly. All I could think watching this scene was "wow, what the hell, no pun intended, is this?" That was much of the reaction I had to what went on, and I even got a few genuine surprises through the story as I wasn't totally familiar with it all.

If there is any crossover appeal, aside for the parents in watching their kids having fun enjoying the coolest little figures out of cartoon-like abstractions, with creatures bouncy and bright and even very cute (those peas are about as adorable as Miyazaki creations, if less textured). It's nothing very special in the recent boom of computer animated features, but it's probably a whole lot less cynical (and maybe less cruel and sophomoric) than a lot of those films, and it is in a very oddly formed way almost brilliant.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Veggie gang makes its way onto the big screen to tell the tale of Jonah.
schmimic24 May 2005
I bought this movie before I ever even bothered watching it because I figured, hey, it's Veggie Tales. How can you go wrong, right? Well, I don't regret buying it, but it's not quite as good as most of the regular Veggie stuff.

Most of us have a pretty good grasp on the Jonah story right? Well, just as always with Veggie Tales, the heart of the story is there with the most important details, and then everything else gets mixed up and screwed around with. It starts off with Dad Asparagus and Bob the Tomato driving a bunch of the little veggies to a Twippo concert. Then they encounter some difficulties on the road and find themselves with two flat tires and crashed into a tree stump.

They get out and head for the nearest building, a seafood restaurant. When Junior Asparagus sits down at the table, he hears some people talking on the other side of the glass. It's the pirates who don't do anything! I don't remember what they ask Junior, but they eventually strike up a conversation, and the pirates tell Junior the story of that one time when they met Jonah and had a little adventure… Jonah was a prophet who traveled across Israel delivering God's messages to His people. Then Jonah gets a call from God to deliver a "turn and repent" message to Ninevah. But why Ninevah? The Israelites and the Ninevites don't get along, and Jonah would rather die than go there. So he decides to go against God's orders and sail as far as possible in the opposite direction, to Tarshish. He hires the pirates who don't do anything to take him out there, and so the four of them set sail for Tarshish.

Just like in the Bible story, there's a big storm because of Jonah, and after they cast lots to determine who is responsible (done quite ingeniously in the movie I think), they throw Jonah into the ocean. The storm goes away when they throw him in, and a whale (not a big fish like the story) comes along and swallows Jonah up. There Jonah has a little encounter with a choir of asparagus angels, and then the whale barfs him up on the shore, and he heads out for Ninevah.

I think the hilarious thing is how the pirates end the story. Just like in the Bible story, at the end, Jonah is wailing and mourning and whining and crying and there's no real conclusion, and that's how it ends in the movie. The pirates just say "the end" and that's pretty much it. Of course, there's still some other stuff that happens outside of the story segment of the movie.

Overall it's done pretty cleverly, but it doesn't quite have the same Veggie Tales zip that it should. The special features on the DVD and certainly worth the cost though.

Bottom Line: 3 out of 4 (worth watching)
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film dedicated to its target audience and nobody else
Steve Pulaski8 November 2013
Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie is a perfectly good-hearted, innocuous tool to help indoctrinate your children into the Christian faith. Of course, that's a little too brash, but it's an accurate summation of the animated film that features bright colors, grandscale animated settings, themes relevant to real life, and talking vegetables that simplify stories to make them accessible to your little ones.

This film seems to defy film criticism in the way that it already has its own route to its target audience. In addition, the audience who wants nothing to do with the film will find no challenge in trying to ignore it. Its target audience will find the film recommend to their young children at certain church events and religious gatherings and children will likely be fascinated by the franchise's aforementioned traits. Honestly, the VeggieTales shorts aren't the worst type of videos to show your children. However, if one can look past the colorful qualities for just a few moments, they will find nothing more than a surface-level, preachy, morality play that grows tiresome quickly and is thankfully punctuated by a fluffy song in between the dreary exposition of the Bible.

The film opens with Bob the Tomato driving Dad Asparagus and several young vegetable children to a concert. They wind up getting into a bit of a wreck and seek help at a seafood restaurant where they meet "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything." "The Pirates" decide to entertain the gang by telling them the story of Jonah, an ambitious prophet who makes a living preaching the word of God to different towns. One day, God himself implores Jonah to preach his word to the town of Nineveh, a dangerous, unholy village, to which Jonah refuses and decides to travel to Tarshish, the furthest you can get from Nineveh.

What unfolds is something of a road movie, with Jonah, who is an asparagus creature mind you, meeting random assortments of food, getting infamously swallowed by the whale, and learning such themes as compassion and mercy. Even the Veggie children learn of such themes, one meaning to respect your companions, the other meaning to give others second chances even if they don't deserve them. Such morals are the foundation of Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie's existence and, in seventy-eight minutes, it does more than get its point across. It beats the morals and themes into the head of the viewer until you feel like telling everyone within your vicinity what you learned just to make the knowledge you gained seem more useful in some way.

Thank the lord there are at least catchy songs that turn up every now and then to snap you back into reality. One song in particular I enjoyed, and wish was actually a complete tune, is "Billy Joe McGuffrey," which the young Veggie children are singing in the car which winds up distracting Bob the Tomato as he drives in a rush to see the concert. The fast-paced tune, the frantic animation, and the excitement of everything happening at once made me feel like a young kid watching the VeggieTales on a Saturday morning. What followed were other catchy tunes that, thankfully, were complete songs, like "Message From the Lord" and "Jonah Was a Prophet," two songs I'll be damned if I could get out of my head.

I think that's value of watching something like Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie when you're either too old or an outsider of the target audience is the nostalgia factor. My generation was one that probably got the most use out of this franchise, and seeing these characters come back for one harmless film was something that, at the very least, was cheerful and amusing. On another note, not completely necessary. However, at a concise seventy-eight minutes and featuring a few catchy anthems, it's not a real task by any means.

Voiced by: Phil Vischer, Mike Nawrocki, Tim Hodge, Lisa Vischer, Dan Anderson, Shelby Vischer, Kristin Blegen, and Jim Poole. Directed by: Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Touching, Funny, and Clever - an absolute delight!!!
victoria3333 November 2003
I caught this movie while flipping through channels on local television in Houston and couldn't turn it off. I had never seen any VeggieTales before this and it blew me away. The talent it took to make this story witty, touching, and engaging all at the same time is obvious. Not only that, but the music and songs are excellent! Seriously...I don't mean they are excellent in some snobby religious way but actually catchy and fun. Maybe I'm a weirdo...actually, I know I am...but I had to get up and sing and dance while the choir sang inside the whale. Yes, I am 31 years old and I was dancing to a cartoon...alone.

I know it isn't popular to say anything like this, but I am going to say it. I really and truly felt the anointing of the Lord on this movie.

My future kids WILL be watching this flick.

PS - one of the best parts is the credits song after the movie ;)

10 out of 10 stars - **********
good kids' film
jirdd28 October 2002
So I have a two year old at my house and we watch a LOT of VeggieTales. However, I have lots of friends with no children at their houses who also watch VeggieTales (albeit less than we do). That's because the Veggies, unlike so many kids' videos and other entertainment, talk to kids without talking down to them, and also throw in stuff that parents like. Good entertainment, and smart marketing -- more kids' entertainment needs to realize that parents BUY the videos, and are much more likely to buy stuff that the parents like, too.

That said, while I didn't like this movie as much as I like the half-hour VeggieTales videotapes, I still liked it much, much better than 95% of the kids movies I've seen. My two year old (his first movie) sat through it without a peep, except for the occasional observation about Jonah or the whale or the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.

This movie is actually a bit more overtly Judeo-Christian than most of the videos. I honestly don't get how people are put off by the Veggie videos, as they are very non-preachy and simply teach kids, in an entertaining way, that it's good to share, be thankful for what you have and to have the courage to stand up for your convictions. The movie is a little more, "We should do what God wants us to do." Still, kids will be entertained and parents won't be checking their watches.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Good. Not GREAT, but Very Good!
jwrowe318 October 2002
A good `A' for effort film. My kids love the whole series of Veggie videos, and I have to admit, that I get a good laugh out of each that I have seen. But, about the movie….

=POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT! Here's a film that starts out of the gate, very strong. The Veggies are on their way to a concert and get side lined, in a VERY funny way. The quality of animation in the opening moments alone, are worth the price of admission. Some good gags, and a wonderful song about `Billy Joe McGuffrey", are a hoot and a half. Then they end up in a restaurant, and the main tale of Jonah is told by, my favorites of the Veggie Family, `The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything'.

And, I have to say, that's where the steam seems to start to go out of the film. Where as the videos never seem `preachy', the movie just seemed to stall when we get the first tune about Jonah going. Yeah, I know that this is a religious movie, but I wonder why the videos seem different. I just think that it started to go `over the heads' of my kids. I gauge all family films we see by `The Squirm Factor'. If it's a great flick, the squirms by my daughters are few, but if the squirming is bad, then they are not watching, or not caring too much. In the last 1/3 of the movie, my 6 year old, who loves all the videos, was at `Squirm Con 3', and bouncing in her seat. My 8 year old, DID sit still, and watched, so it's a split decision in our house. I did laugh at some parts, and so did the parents around me in the theater. It seemed the older folks were laughing more than the wee ones, for whom the movie is really aimed.

Will I buy the video when it comes along? Of course! Will I see another Veggie Movie? Good chance, but I hope it's a better keeper of my daughters attention. Why not a good Pirate's Who Don't Do Anything movie?

DO be sure you stay and watch the credits, for a great tune, and note the fact that `NO vegetables were harmed in the filming'.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A view from the other side of the pond.
stuart_poore26 January 2004
My family and I are big VeggieTales fan from the UK. The movie wasn't released over here, so I had to get a Region 1 DVD and a Multi-region player just to see it.

To be honest, the film, while good, was slightly disappointing. However the DVD extras were fantastic and also explained the reason for my initial disappointment.

One of the DVD extras tries to justify what I consider the movies two biggest faults. These are the choice of story and the choice of characters from the VeggieTale universe.

The problem with the story is that they stick to the well-known Bible Story TOO WELL. They carry on past the 'famous bit' and show the end of the story, which shows that actually Jonah is a bit mean and was disappointed that God didn't kill everyone! This means the main story ends on a bit of a down, and the tacked on `big finale' seems out of place to me.

The fact that the main character turns out to be not so nice partially explains the "casting".

If you're a big VeggieTale fan, you'll be left wondering why both the stars `Bob and Larry' have such a small part. If you're not a fan, you'll be wondering who all these characters are, especially "The Pirates who don't do anything!"

As a VeggieTale fan, I was also disappointed by a) The introduction of a major non-vegetable character!!! b) The fact that they continue to move away from the original ‘joke' that vegetables can't hold anything (due to lack of arms). The movie has object's being held by ‘invisible' hands and that just doesn't seem right to me.

All that aside, the movie is pretty good. Bright, fun, silly, and a good `moral' Bible story without `morality' being laid on too thickly.

The DVD extras disk was full of VERY funny stuff, and made up for the aggravation of having to send across the pond for a DVD.

P.S. It took me a while to realise that while the Outtakes appear in Spanish (!?!) the English version is available as an ‘alternative' language.
Quite disappointing
MovieAddict201630 September 2005
Call me anything you want, but the old "VeggieTales" shorts are very fun to watch. They appeal to both adults and children; their humor is juvenile on one level and very adult on another, similar to "The Simpsons." "VeggieTales" actually became so famous for a while in the regular mainstream market that Big Idea (the creators of the shorts) began to extend the new movies, and then created their own full-length theatrical feature film, "Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie." Unfortunately, the full-length film proves that thirty-minute shorts are far better. The movie's Christian preaching is clearer than in the shorts, and the story itself runs out of steam rather fast.

The Veggies are traveling and their car breaks down, and while they're stranded in a seafood restaurant of some sort, the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything begin to tell them of a tale involving Jonah, who was told by God to deliver a message to the people of Ninheva. He instead boarded a pirate ship in an attempt to fool God, but soon a maelstrom had him thrown off board by the pirates and swallowed by an enormous whale.

I ultimately couldn't really get into this film - it's not anywhere near as funny as the classic Veggie shorts or successful in its fusion of preaching Biblical values and slapstick humor.

Overall, something of a "mixed vegetables" bag. (Pun intended.)
Take Your Kids to See This Movie
DanB-431 October 2002
Moral, entertaining and true to the story all at once. This is a wonderful little film. Abounding in humour, delightful visuals, and just the right amount of preaching, Jonah stays true to its purpose without getting lost in it. It is a very delicate balance, and they strike it well.

Jonah knows it is a moral and religious film, but it never loses its sense of humour. It is genuinely funny and stuffed full of subtle movie and Monty Python references.

What amazes me the most about this film is how true to the biblical story of Jonah it really is. The bible story of Jonah does not end on a happy note, and the movie follows this key point to the end. There is no Disney-fication of the facts, yet they still leave you entertained and with a positive message.

I saw this with my three kids, ages 3,6, and 9 and they all loved it - watched silently with great interest. After this movie, my six year old can define mercy in very simple terms, something I could not do prior to seeing Jonah.

Parents - take you kids to see this film. It is food for the brain and soul, the likes of which we rarely get in the cinema. Stay for the end credits. **** out of ****.

(My four stars is not calling this a great or classic film - but it achieves its goals in a perfect balance, which is far more than most films accomplish).
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So close to being great for everyone
nucksfan4life6 October 2002
Given that this movie is a VeggieTales enterprise of course the kids are going to eat it up. The real challenge for the film makers was to make the movie enjoyable for the parents. "Jonah" comes so close to accomplishing this for 100% of the movie. The strength of the VeggieTales series has always been the songs. "Oh Where is my Hairbrush?" ring a bell. "Jonah" does have its fair share of songs, but I felt that there were too many long gaps in between some of the musical numbers. It didn't help that most of this time was spent listening to Jonah whine. Get rid of Jonah's whining and add in a few more songs and this movie would have been perfect for all ages. As it stands however, "Jonah" teaches a strong lesson to children in an enjoyable way. Can't argue with that.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The quintessential meaning of universal comedy
Tristan Chhay29 November 2016
Every now and then, a movie rolls out with a specific demographic in mind that ends up appealing to viewers of all ages. This movie is a perfect example of this. Regardless of your age, it's hard not to have a silly grin on your face when watching this absurd yet thought provoking tale. The comedy isn't just for kids, the gags genuinely are clever. I found myself in stitches at several moments. Furthermore, for a 2002 title, it has aged very well. It makes modern CGI in flicks like the 2016 action film "gods of Egypt" look amateur in comparison. And while presentation is certainly not everything in an animated film from almost 15 years ago, it certainly doesn't hurt. Furthermore, while it is a Christian inspired film with heavy thematic elements regarding religion, the appeal is again, universal. The preaching is limited to good morals that anyone could take to heart. Unlike certain critic of the film, ahem...DAVE, the main character "Jonah" represents an ideal morally righteous individual who serves as a good role model for the younger crowd, unlike so many characters today. Simply put, the movie was a sleeper masterpiece that deserves to be a cult classic. Though sadly under viewed and under appreciated, the film has no shining moments of glory. Rather the entire run length is a euphoric experience of bliss and enjoyment.-Tristan C
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent movie but not as good as I hoped
djansen249 November 2010
I am a very big fan of Veggie Tales. But hearing they had a motion picture, I had some doubts. Sometimes movies based on TV or video series feel like just one long episode. And that is what I did feel was the case with Jonah. The animation has improved (though nowhere near Pixar level of course), song writing is just as great as ever, and the editing is all fine, but it was a story that could have been greatly shortened to have made standard video show length. And that's the problem with Jonah: pacing. It feels long even though it has a modest running time. Sideral elements have obviously been added to pad out the time (side characters and plots) to feature length, and so everything feels forced.

Kahleel (spelling?) is one of the most annoying side characters I have met mostly because he rarely adds anything to the movie. Random side comments from characters for laughs are all fine and well, but they shouldn't distract from the flow of the movie. The scriptwriters threw in large jokes that took a long time to set up, but left us with lame pay off lines. Some of the plot transitions to get us from one scene in the movie to the next are also heavy handed.

That being said, it is a movie that will delight children; it's principle target audience. It's message is easy to understand and it contains enough goofiness and action to keep them riveted (as it did with my boys). My critiques are mainly geared towards the adult viewers, whose tastes are more refined. But Jonah is a children's movie with pop culture in jokes for adults. And that is very refreshing considering that many animated features these days can't make up their minds if they are for children or adults (Dreamworks studios being the biggest culprit). If you have kids, definitely let them see this. If you are an adult, look elsewhere.
One of the Best DVD Productions Around
silly195223 March 2003
Big Idea Studios has always had a mission to provide quality family media with a positive Biblical worldview. Every project they have undertaken has done this while entertaining teens and adults as well as children. This is quite an accomplishment considering the company has only been in existence for 10 years, and started with one man and one computer. This perspective should be kept in mind when comparing the animation to Shrek or Monsters, Inc. Try comparing Jonah instead to the early Veggietales videos and you will see where they are headed. Heart and soul is poured into every minute of this film, and why not?--many of the artists and production team are Disney or Dreamworks vets. The DVD package of Jonah puts these other studios to shame. There are three separate commentaries on the film itself, including one by Larry the Cucumber and Mr. Lunt! That is just the beginning! There is a studio tour, out-takes and digital dailies commented on by the characters, concept art, music development, music videos, games, and even a copy of the entire script if you use your DVD-ROM. The Bigidea.com website has sample clips of all of these features. Don't kid yourself, Big Idea and Veggietales are a force to be reckoned with, and Hollywood has now taken notice that Biblical is not boring!
"Heh ha hahaha": A reaction to Jonah
NemoNint14 March 2003
This is all my opinion:

This movie is funny, it is just a big pile of fun with a moral message behind it. Cartoons typically are aimed for the child audiences, but I think this appeals to most anyone.

I watched this in the theatre, spending a terribly overpriced 13 dollars for my ticket (I'm used to paying 4.25 for the cinema) but I was happy after watching it that my money went to see a completely great movie.

The video is terrific. At the time of seeing it in the theatre, I remembered back to seeing Monsters Inc. and I was able to compare the art, and I think, though some would obviously disagree, that this is better looking visually than Monsters Inc. The characters themselves aren't necessarily higher detailed, but the environments are what totally impressed me seeing it on the big screen. So I promised myself I'd get the DVD when it came out. When I saw Monsters Inc. and Ice Age in the theatre it was a difficult decision to pick one of those two over the other to get on DVD, though I eventually chose Monsters Inc. (Not for the story, but because it seemed more was happening through the movie). But with Jonah, it was way more impressive to me in terms of humour and visual appeal than MI and IA.

So I had to get it on dvd.

And now I have it! HA HA AHA! I love the supplementals.. The "Digital Dailies" are probably my favourite part of the extra stuff. Those things were histerical. oh yeah just thinking about them now makes me crack up.

This review would probably be best by summarizing it in form of comparison between this movie, and others that are similar. This movie has more humour and silliness that makes you smile and laugh and talk about after watching the movie, than Ice Age and Monsters Inc. The detail in the art in the environments I think is highest in this movie too. The character art is definatly top quality but the art of the characters in Monsters Inc and Ice Age could be considered TECHNICALLY better due to there being lots of fur and other hard-to-digitally-animate features.

Finally, there are many hours of character development backing up most of the characters in the movie, in the VeggieTales video series so I know who Bob and Larry, Pa Grape and Mr. Lunt are before I even go to see the film. But the characters are all themselves and need no previous development, so seeing the movie before any of the video series is great too.

Now I think I"ll go watch the Digital Dailies again.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty good and surprisingly accurate
PorridgeBird20 November 2002
I call this movie pretty good because, well, there have been better. Maybe VeggieTales should keep to cramming all the jokes into its standard thrity-minute length. However, this is still a movie the kids can enjoy and the parents can endure.

What surprised me the most was how accurate the story was to the actual Biblical story. While some things are added for a laugh, such as Ninevites slapping people with fish (showing the movie's Monty Python influence), some things were made so that it was more accurate. For examples, Jonah didn't want to go to Ninevah, he did decide to go to Tarshish instead, he did stay in the whale for three days and nights, and the vine episode at the end really involved a worm eating it away (although this worm is Khalil, the half catapillar hooked on motivational tapes.)

This VeggieTale is funny for family, but some may find it a bit dull compared to the thirty-minute ones of before. Still, it's worth the eight dollars.

P.S. If you get bored with the kiddie humor throughout, there's something more for the parents at the end: The Credits Song. After the pseudo-rock song, listen for the Pirates singing a song which has nothing to do with the movie and eventually ends with Pa Grape needing a Tums.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderfully captivating and fast paced fun.
SmallTownSim9 November 2002
Thought the movie was great. It was fast paced and a wonderful family movie. I took 14 children ranging from 4 to 13 and all of them loved it. Great moral and value lessons included in a fun and animated way. The songs and lessons through-out where terrific and memorable. The way it paused, reflected and continued was great and the way the movie connected the "story" part with the real-time part was great. Though the intention of the movie is to target children, myself and all of the adults that attended enjoyed it as well. The only negative thing I could think to add about the film, is the fact that it would have been nice if it went just a little longer! LOL.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful wholesome funny family film, need more like it.
golofam9 November 2002
Veggie Tales has done it again. Thank you for making a film this time that the whole family can sit down and enjoy. It's a wonderful thing that they do, the creators of Veggie Tales. They remind the children and adults for that matter, of how we should be living and what is important. They teach our children values and morels which we are so in need of these days. I feel sorry for the people who actually thought that this film didn't deserve a "10". And for THEIR CHILDREN. We must remember that the children are the future and whatever they learn so will the next generation. Teach them Love Peace and Happiness and that it is right to follow the Lord Jesus and not the world. God Bless You All.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great, clean, funny movie for the whole family.
jcarterjr1 November 2002
On opening weekend we took our 3 kids (7, 3 1/2, and 1 1/2) and my in-laws to see this movie. We all loved it. The kids left singing some of the tunes and we were discussing our favorite songs and scenes. If you have ever heard the story of Jonah, you will have fun with a new look at it. If you are familiar with the Veggies, you will find that it is true to the values that they embrace in the videos. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. My kids wanted to buy it right away.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just a cheesy kid's movie
FlickChick77731 October 2002
Many people run at the thought of singing vegetables, but this movie was much more than an cheesy kid's movie. Granted, I am a biased VeggieTales fan, however, I was expecting more cheese than wit. The videos are filled with wit and creative banter and I was happily surprised that Jonah had much of the same. The story was well written and full of creativity. The songs were fun and humorous. There is something there for both adults and kids. I can't wait for the DVD.
Awesome
one_evil_piggy25 October 2002
I took a group of 12 and under to see Jonah. One was an 18 month old, this was his first movie theater trip and he was hypnotized. Another one was a few months short of 3, and she danced in the aisle during the big musical number at the end. The four chaperones all enjoyed it having things adults would catch (a Jaws sampling for the music before the whale eats Jonah). I would recommend this movie to all 0-99,999 years of age.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My kids' all-time favorite movie
pressin225 October 2002
We as a family absolutely love everything put out by Big Idea Productions, we own most of the Veggie and Penguins videos and books, and we're a member of the Veggie Fan Club. We are so pleased that a Veggie movie has made it to the big screen. We usually wait to rent movies or go to discounted theatres, but for Jonah we went on opening night in support of the movie and its mission. We loved it and we laughed! Granted, in some aspects a movie critic could say this or that, but frankly, nothing's perfect, and it's something out there that kids enjoy and are not in danger when exposed to.