IMDb > "Upwardly Mobile" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Upwardly Mobile" More at IMDbPro »

Truly awful!

Author: Jamie O'Halleron (lynchboy2001) from Dublin, Ireland
13 August 2002

This "comedy" just brought to the attention of the country that RTE cannot do comedy (they rejected Father Ted for god's sake). The premise is simple, a working class family win the lotto & move into a nice area, & it then turns into The Beverly Hillibillies! The writing was dire & I for one was glad when it ended!

Dreadful show. A typical Irish embarrassment.

Author: juella90 from Beyond the realms of death!
20 July 2005

Don't worry, I'm allowed to say that; I am Irish. Although with lousy sitcoms like this under out belt I say it with some modesty. The writing was, how should I put it... sh*t. The acting was fairly uninspired, and frankly this never should have been inflicted on the public. Another reviewer hit the nail on the head about Irish sitcoms; There's never been a good one (at least none that I've seen) bar Father Ted, and even that one had to be taken to Channel 4 in Britain, because RTE didn't want to know (probably because of the lack of respect for the Catholic church involved, or maybe it was just too good for their tastes. Mind you, they changed their tune once that show became a hit). So RTE prefer to churn out dire swill like this. Its laughable, but not in a good way.