IMDb > "The Brak Show" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Brak Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Brak Show" More at IMDbPro »

This review is rated TV-14

Author: TunnelofGloves from United States
5 November 2001

What can be said about the obscure, offbeat, incredibly funny, brilliant and hardly animated world of Brak? Just that it's Brak! The Brak Show(not to be confused with "Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak' which was used as supplementary material for Space Ghost Coast to Coast) is a fantastic new show with the same irreverent humor and catchy out-of-the-blue musical numbers any Brak fan can expect. The cast of characters including Brak's parents, Zorak and Thunderclese make it all fall together. 5 stars out of 5.

Scary- but I think it's very sophisticated humor!

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
25 December 2001

Brak...wow, what an odd character. The voice, the absence of clear thought...what a good idea for a series. The show itself is actually pretty short (each episode if 15 mins long) and the stories are not too drawn out (much like space ghost), but they're clever and entertaining nonetheless. Amazing voice work here- Brak, Zorak, and even Space Ghost himself doing the voice of the dad. Very funny dialogue and clever songs added here and there. Highly recommend this one.

Why don't you feed him...three hams?

Author: chthon2 from Somewhere in America
1 July 2003

Yes! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! I love this show!

This show is about Brak. Brak is a space pirate. His mother is also a space pirate, and his father is a Latino who is also only about 4 feet tall. Brak also has a brother who is a space pirate, but all his brother really does is walk around and fart.

Zorak is also in this one. The real deal here is the writing. It's hilarious! Watch an entire episode all the way through, and you'll see what I mean.

The characters, the dialouge, and the mishaps... Genius

Author: rsimone from Los Angeles, CA
31 January 2003

BEWARE: This show is addicting! The Brak show can be best described as an intelligent use of ingenious characters. Zorak, the evil Mantis and best friend. Thunderclease, built for War and still the kindhearted neighbor. And Brak as the absurd entertainer of the show with his idiotic day-to-day adventures and often outbursts of song and insanity. What makes this show what it is (Brilliant) is the dialogue exchanged. Mostly one-liners, the writers keep you entertained way past the simple format of the show. I recommend "Diff'rent Braks: The Time Machine." I hope it fills your day with joy. rpr

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the stuff,but...

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
8 July 2008

...I found myself enjoying this spin-off(or spin-off of a spin-off)from the Space Ghost family.

Space Pirate Brak,long-since reduced to being a child-like simp,has moved back in with his family and hangs with fellow outlaw Zorak and the usual(read "not usual")type of events: an alien parasite wants to kidnap Brak's mom and make her HIS mommy; Zorak's usually growly,evil cackle growl voice pops out and reveals the evil,sociopath Mantis as having an actually very lovely set of pipes(alas,STILL a nasty,hateful Son of a Biscuit!);a endoplasmic bully is tormenting everyone on the block,including the self-seeming bad-ass Zorak. Those are just samplings of the conflicts that our favorite imbecile of the galaxy has to endure,with only his optimism and childlike pluck to help him. So to speak.

Featuring such odd concepts as Brak's dad being a ten-inch tall Spaniard(of course,Brak's mom looks just like him!) and their neighbor's being a fierce metal giant(I forgot the name,Cyclotron seems to come to mind)being most sensitive and protective of his prized gardening,this show may've lacked the cool,disasosciative elements of SGC2C or CArtoon Planet,but it still incorporated enough Sci-Fi geek chops to make fans of SG--many of whom ARE Sci-Fi/comic book geeks-- happy. I know CN/Adult Swim has made a point of NOT brining the show back(which is a shame),but I feel like there's absolutely an audience for this still. I count myself among them.

Classic Adult Swim

Author: jts0405 from United States
30 March 2007

Leave it to Braik to put on a good show. Finally he and Zorak are living their own lives outside of Spac Ghost Coast To Coast. I have to say that I love both of these shows a whole lot. They are completely what started Adult Swim. Brak made it big with an album that came out in the year 2000. It may not have been platinum, but his show was really popular to tons of people out there that love Adult Swims shows. I have to say that out of all the Adult Swim shows with no plot, this has to be the one with the most none plot ever made. That is why I like it so much, it is just such a classic in the Adult Swim history. I believe this is just such a great show, if you don't like it. Hey there were tons who hated it and tons who loved it.

Brak's alright but he was better off as a guest

Author: salim86 from United States
20 May 2006

This show is a LITTLE overrated in my opinion. The fact that it's not on Adult Swim anymore makes people think it's underrated, but people love this show so much, especially a reviewer at DVD Verdict.com, it's overrated. First of all, the scripts aren't that funny and are filled with corny jokes, sad since these characters all have potential and could be really hilarious including Brak's Dad. Also, the songs' randomness isn't as excited as it was on Cartoon Planet BEST CARTOON NETWORK SHOW EVER IMO.

Let me be fair, there are some episodes of this comedy that are funny, such as "War Next Door" where Zorak finds his singing voice, "Hippo" where Brak lost his doll, "Time Machine" that was hilarious start to finish, and "The Eye", that was fun in its weirdness.

Worth watching .

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
21 January 2007

"The Brak Show " is good .Probably not in the same level than "Aqua Teen Hunger " or "Space Ghost Coast to Coast ", but definitely it have many brilliant moments .Basically it follows the life of Zorak and Brak that have normal lives and go to the school ,living in a neighborhood on the style of the 50 'sitcoms . The humor and the animation of this show it's very much as "Aqua Teen Hunger " (and in one episode you could see Meatwad) with bizarre situations and strange characters .But it is good ,it have funny parts . Some of the songs are great ,others not very much but I like this show . The funniest character is the father of Brak . (that is a human ,nobody knows why )

Yeah Buddy!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
13 May 2004

I really really love this show! I have always liked the 1990's shows of Space Ghost! This show was hilarious and I can't believe why Cartoon Network's Adult Swim would take such a funny show like this off the air. I hope they put this show on DVD or something. The show is about Brak (from the Space Ghost cartoons, SGCC and Cartoon Planet) who lives his every day life with his Mom and Dad and his best friend who likes to drop in a lot, Zorak! My favorite episodes were the one where Zorak gets this really good singing voice and then his voice doesn't give him any money that Zorak made from singing at all. Another episode I like is the one where Brak and Zorak didn't finish their homework and then they go back from Sunday to Friday and they just goof off and then they go back to the day homework was invented and then when they go back to the present homework didn't exist! Another episode I like is the one where Brak's Dad and their next door neighbor, Thundercleese the Robot keep getting into this agrument and then they get eaten by a giant worm. Another episode I liked was the one where Zorak makes a bully stand and then some new guy took over his stand. I also like a lot of the other episodes! One thing that never fails to make me laugh is when Zorak is getting beaten up, blasted and zapped!

Very funny and wonderfully strange and surreal

Author: runamokprods from US
16 November 2013

An often very funny, absurdist take on the family sit-com. but in this case the lead is… well I guess an adolescent cat-headed space alien? His father is a self-obsessed, vaguely insane, quietly indolent diminutive Hispanic human, sort of Desi Arnez on acid (the funniest element of the show to me), and his mother the same strange 'thing' that Brak is.

Not every joke works, but this is a very entertaining, surreal twist on every bad 'Leave It To Beaver' type family TV comedy. And for me it takes a big leap between season 1, which was funny and weird to seasons two and three where it attained almost Monty Python like levels of complete nonsensical, hysterically funny strangeness. In tossing out any attempt to make sense, and allowing all the rules go out the window, you end up with something you might have had if Dali and Bunuel had made a cartoon together as teenagers. (Note, I seem to be in the minority, most people prefer the earlier, lighter, less perverse version of the show).