IMDb > "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Just the laughs, ma'am

Author: esandor from Chicago
20 December 2004

If you just want to laugh and laugh at some of the most joke-packed dialogue on TV today--and you don't care whether any of it makes sense--then you'll love ATHF.

The writers don't waste time explaining why the characters are food or what "Aqua Teen" even means. They don't try to tie up plot threads, illuminate the backstory, or even have the characters leave their neighborhood to fight crimes as depicted in the opening and closing credits. None of that is necessary. Instead, they just bring us a stripped-down, personality-driven yukfest that shows encumbered with the usual baggage simply can't match.

ATHF meets---nay, far exceeds!---my personal gold standard for comedy: that the jokes should not only be funny, but be ones I couldn't possibly have thought up for myself, and that there not be a moment's lag time between them.

Watching it is like eating potato chips (um, guess I mean fries) of pure, mindless laughter. ENJOY!

Oh, this is freakin' great!

Author: bobbyknightmare from Bedford, PA
24 June 2002

This is the reason I watch "Adult Swim" every week, on the chance that ATHF are in the line-up. An incompetent but egotistical shake, a super intelligent box of fries and a happy-go-lucky meatball spend the day outwitting the most incompetent gang of villains this side of the Amoeba Boys and tormenting their loser neighbor to the point where you can actually feel sorry for the poor, no class, unemployable, grouchy slob.

Shake is similar to at least one person who works with all of us. He's a bully, he's lazy, he's selfish, he's pathetic at what he does, but he feels he's the leader just because he says he is. Frylock is the guy at the office or the plant who actually DOES know what he's doing and saves the day without any desire for the responsibility or glory of leadership. Meatwad is the guy who tries his best, usually doesn't hit the mark perfectly and is just fun to have around.

Full-length movie anyone? Or at least a marathon?

I was not put on this earth to listen to meat!

Author: Andy (film-critic) from Bookseller of the Blue Ridge
1 October 2004

Whether it is the opening segments with Dr. Weird or the strange ending credit sequence with Abe Lincoln, Aqua Teen Hunger Force will make your mind boggle as you try to wrap your mind around about twenty minutes of some of the most brilliant animation EVER! I first found this while visiting a friend in Oregon. Let's say that we were not thinking clearly when we put it in, but as the opening rap sequence began, all I could do was laugh. The next morning, I thought perhaps it was just a fluke. Nothing could be as funny as characters like Master Shake, Meatwad, Frylock, and my personal favorite Carl! Boy, was I mistaken.

This series is hysterical. Every episode is full of random events that will make you laugh so hard that you will pee your pants. This show goes beyond the normal cartoon and takes humor to a whole new level. I loved the fact that after the first two episodes the structure changed completely. I don't think they ever solved any crimes, they just argued and dealt with random 'enemies' that just happened to appear. I even thought that just maybe they would loose their momentum after the first season, but yet again … I was wrong. The DVD was spectacular and gave a bit more information about the birth of these anti-heroes.

I come from a household without cable, even regular channels are snowed out, so when series like these are released on DVD it is the only opportunity I have to see them. I will say that discovering this series was a high-point in my television on DVD career. I love random chaos, and this is exactly what this show provided.

I would suggest this series to anyone that is a huge fan of social commentary coupled with fast food. While it may not make you hungry, it surely will quench your desire for humor. I still wonder where the writers found the idea for the 'cult' characters the Mooninites. Only on ATHF could this random thought become a reality.

I love this series and cannot wait for the third season!

Grade: ***** out of *****

NUMBER ONE IN THE HOOD, G!

Author: csi621 from Colorado
25 April 2004

Rarely is it that we are graced with such an odd series that seems like such a painfully stupid idea that works so well. Aqua Teen Hunger Force details the lives of three roommates that fight evil forces. The odd thing about these roommates however, is that they are a milkshake (Master Shake), a box of fries (Frylock), and a wad of uncooked meat (Meatwad). Yes, it sounds completely stupid. And you need to see more than one episode to appreciate it. But it is surprisingly one of the funniest shows on television. My only complaint: that each episode is only about 11 minutes long. Aqua Teen Hunger Force really is "number one in the hood"! A+

Incredible!

Author: Christopher Smith
27 July 2004

If you are expecting a great cartoon with exciting plotlines and lots of drama, this is not the show for you. If you are expecting a hilarious cartoon filled with lots of random, witty humor, this IS the show for you. There is not one way that one can fully describe AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE. Just take a look at the title; it is random and makes no sense. That is what is so amazing about this show. AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE follows the adventures of Meatwad, a meatball, Frylock, a floating order of fries, and Master Shake, a milkshake. They live in a house next-door to Carl. That is basically the premise of the show. Anyway, AQUA TEEN HUNGERFORCE is an incredible show that I recommend to anyone who is looking for a funny cartoon to watch, besides THE SIMPSONS and FAMILY GUY. AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE currently airs on Cartoon Network's adult programming block, Adult Swim, at 12 and 12:15 AM.

Deliciously Funny

Author: You_Are_Welcome from Chicago, Illinois
30 August 2004

ATHF has become the favorite late night entertainment snack for my family. The DVD set does introduce each segment with the now infectious rap song that describes each of the Superheroes. The humor is all over the map and comes in the form of dialog and visual pratfalls. The art is done in a quirky style on the cheap but the humor is still rich. All heroes HAVE to have a great bad guy. My favorites are the Mooninites along with Oglethorpe and emory. MC P Pants and Sir Loin are also very good.

Each of the opening bits with Steve and Dr. Weird stand alone as comic tidbits that get each segment going. Master Shake as the leader of the group garners most of the laughs in his desire to boss everyone around and ALWAYS remain the center of attention. Problem is that Master Shake has a very lame "power".

Look deeper, beneath the absurdity.

Author: amateur100 from United States
12 November 2008

Firstly I'd like to say that "Aqua Teen" is one of the funniest animated shows, mixing absurd situations with absurd characters who do absurd things. But great comedies (which this is) are more than simply absurd, they're smart. They bring us into the world of the cartoon and have us relate to each character. So I'm going to look into why this is a "great" animated comedy, merely because of its characterization.

Carl is a poor, single, overweight man on welfare whose main cares in life consist of the cardboard cutout of a girl advertising beer, his car, lawn, swimming pool, and reminiscing of the old days, when he would get hammered and go to rock concerts. The interesting part about Carl is that he never admits to any kind of friendship with the Hunger Force, yet they are in his swimming pool almost every episode, and all of them, through all the bickering, get along. Even though Carl is always apparently miserable, his true joy comes from the friends he presently has, which he never addresses. How many people do you know who want to go back to the "good ol' days" when everything was simpler and sweeter, but fail to see the good things in their present life until they're reminiscing about it twenty years down the line?

Shake is funny. Very funny. Perhaps the funniest character in any cartoon show ever. This is achieved in an ingenious paradox. While he is cruel (esp. to Meatwad), self-indulgent, and egotistical with absolutely no sign of empathy, he is the most likable character in the show. Why? I think it's because of his simplicity, like a more intelligent form of a child (aren't children selfish and always unsatisfied?), and who can blame a child? All you can do is laugh at their behavior.

Meatwad is also like a child, but instead of being the kind that doesn't share (like Shake), he is the kid that gives his toy truck to the new kid in school to play with in the sandbox. While Shake is the most likable, Meatwad is the most lovable, and is even more-so because he is missing a brain (does Shake's intelligence give way to vice? If one looks at the episode where Meatwad becomes smarter than the other two, it would seem so). But we can never "like" Meatwad, because we can't associate with him in his stupidity, we can only love him like a small, cuddly dog. Meatwad's voice sounds like a mixture of Yoda and Terrence from SouthPark, which is, somehow, indescribably perfect.

Frylock's character acts many times as the mediator in arguments. He is highly intelligent, humane, but at the same time conceded in his intelligence and humanity (when Meatwad gets a brain and surpasses Frylock's intellect, Frylock becomes jealous and angry). He is individually the least funny of them all, but this is on purpose. He is the sanity in the absurdity, accentuating that absurdity.

Perhaps the best aspect of the cartoon is its lack of development. Nobody changes (at least in character) from one episode to the next. Carl is still poor and resentful, Meatwad is still lovably stupid, Shake still conniving and hilarious, and Frylock still intellectual and, well, normal.

It is impossible to keep a straight face during any episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force (most especially when the Mooninites make an appearance). But if one allows himself to watch with an active mind, you will see a satire on human nature, which inclines the characters to do some absurd things. But are we really ones to laugh at these characters in their absurdity? Wouldn't we be actually laughing at ourselves? Of course! That's another part of the genius. It takes human faults and shows how stupid and fruitless they are. And by laughing at ourselves, we are in fact reflecting upon ourselves.

One of the greatest shows ever created!!!!

Author: ZiM389 from Franklin Square, NY
7 August 2004

You could be the smartest person alive, or the dumbest person alive, and this show will make you laugh. The complete and total randomness to the comedy makes it a masterpiece. I would like to shake the hand of the man that created this show. One of my personal favorite episodes was the "Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past". I bought both volumes on DVD and I'm hoping like hell that they release all the episodes on DVD. Sadly, there has been an announcment that the last episode of ATHF will be shown sometime in August. I don't know what they are going to get to replace ATHF, but whatever it is, it better be good. I'd go freakin' crazy if they put some crap on instead of this comedic masterpiece.

Instant masterpiece in the classic style!

Author: cfisanick from Western Pennsylvania
5 January 2003

If you really think about it, "ATHF" subscribes to the classic sitcom format, just like "Seinfeld." There's the brains of the outfit, Frylock (Jerry), the selfish jerk, Master Shake (George), and the eccentric goofball, Meatwad (Kramer). But what sets this show up there in the pantheon of great cartoons is the one-of-a-kind, surreal, stream-of-consciousness dialogue. Take a look at the "Dumber Dolls" episode with the incomparable David Cross as the most depressed talking doll ever. And his counterpart, Jiggle Billy, a dancing hillbilly doll has a musket, moonshine, and nightvision goggles. There's the classic comedy writing technique of the "three's"--with night vision goggles! That makes me chuckle just writing it. Or the hilariously obscure pop culture references, e.g., "Tangerine Dream" and the Atari 2600... The smarter you are, the funnier this show is.

Anyway, there's the theory behind it, but trust me, you don't have to analyze it to get it. This is a spectacularly flat-out, fall-down, laugh-out-loud funny show. It's simply amazing.

Do they ever stop crime? No. But that doesn't make it any less of a TV show...

Author: HappyBunny2087 from Cleveland, Ohio
30 July 2004

In the very beginning of the show, during the opening song, you see Frylock, (Master) Shake, and Meatwad fighting the bad guys and quite possibly kicking some butt. During the actual show, though, they argue and basically cause some problems for themselves and their in-desperate-need-of-anger-management neighbor, Carl.

And at the beginning, before the opening song, there is a little skit with Dr. Weird and his assistant, Steve. Dr. Weird is always inventing odd and dangerous things which never benefit anyone. In fact, he sometimes end up killing himself (and his assistant) with whatever it was he came up with.

I personally think it's a great show with some really funny material that you can't find anywhere else, such as the Broodwich and the talking trees that put Shake on trial for dumping oil near by.

Frylock's, Shake's, and Meatwad's personalities make the show much more watchable as well. They're so opposite, but they go great together and it wouldn't be right without them. Frylock is the smart one who actually has something going for him: common sense (and the ability to fly). Shake is the trouble-maker. And the idiot. He could be (I believe) successful if he tried but he is waaay too lazy. He always wants to make an easy buck but never wants to do it the honest way and earn it. Meatwad (my personal fav) is kind of the innocent one. He's sweet to a point and likes to dance. He's almost like the child of the trio. Then there's the neighbor, Carl (my second fav). He's obnoxious and says frickin' and freakin' a lot.

Final Thought on ATHF: Disturbing but can't live without it.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]