IMDb > Holiday in the Sun (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Completly unrealistic!!!!

Author: SpookyPie88 from United Kingdom
10 August 2003

This film is terrible. The whole movie is basically the girls lying on a beach wearing skimpy little bikinis while getting chatted up by boys.It would help if the movie was even slightly realistic, but its not. The twins don't act anything like real teenagers, they seem to be in love with themselves and think anything they do is adorable.

It starts off with them going to the bahamas (when they wanted to go Hawaii *gasp* OMG poor them!) in their fathers private jet and his limo. They then go to the poshest hotel in the bahamas and then spend the whole time kissing boys, shopping, wearing tiny outfits, swimming with dolphins, jet-skiing and drinking smoothies.

A very light plot about some antique theft or something is worked in there too but because the girls are always right and act like they are the top investigators on the island it gets irritating.

The most enjoyable part of the movie is when they steal a boat and even that is hopeless. They just happen to find the antiques at the very moment the police arrive and THEY ARE ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!! They must be bloody phsycic or something.

And if you think the girls are annoying you should see the rest of the cast. The twins mum and some little girl esspecially. The whole film sucks and i reccomend that stay well away from this movie.

Maturing Mary-Kate and Ashley still need to mature

Author: diamonds17 from Orlando
17 July 2002

As a fan of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen since the age of 6, I knew I had to see this movie sometime soon. I watched it, applauding Mary-Kate and Ashley's maturity yet disappointed by the plot. Yes, Mary-Kate and Ashley are pretty and perky young girls who have captured the hearts of fans over the years, but as actresses, they still have room to grow. The plot of Holiday in the Sun is cute, but it follows the same route Passport to Paris, Our Lips Are Sealed, and Winning London took: they go to a some foreign country, catch up with (and kiss) two cute boys, shop a bit, and solve some mystery. The plot was cute in Passport to Paris, but now that Mary-Kate and Ashley have grown older, the plot must eventually change.

Well, it IS an Olsen movie. What did you expect?

Author: blonde_ambition from United Kingdom
3 February 2005

Once again, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen movie star in a movie in which they are playing themselves. The plot taken from their official site? "Mary-Kate and Ashley are spending Winter Break at the lavish Atlantis, Paradise Island resort in The Bahamas. Their parents bring them along, but that means they have to miss their school trip to Hawaii with all their friends.

Determined to make the best of the situation, the girls decide there's only one thing to do: Unleash a tropical hurricane of off-the-hook action and head-over-heels tropical romance! But, amid the yachts, private jets, wave runners, scuba diving, motor scooters, horseback riding and moonlit strolls, Mary-Kate and Ashley stumble across an antiquities smuggling ring! Mary-Kate and Ashley discover the time of their lives on their... HOLIDAY IN THE SUN." Lets take a look at this...

Note how it says "Mary-Kate and Ashley..." not "Madison and Alex" which is their character names. Once again, the Olsens play the only character they've ever played (and they STILL play it badly): themselves.

The rest of the plot is basically telling you in lesser words how stupid, ridiculous, silly, irritating, and unrealistic the movies is. After all: "Mary-Kate and Ashley are spending Winter Break at the lavish Atlantis, Paradise Island resort in The Bahamas. Their parents bring them along, but that means they have to miss their school trip to Hawaii with all their friends." Thew movie starts with thee twins complaining that they have to go to the Bahamas because they wanted to go to Hawaii instead. Of course, they do go to the Bahamas - on a private jet and in a limo.

"Determined to make the best of the situation, the girls decide there's only one thing to do: Unleash a tropical hurricane of off-the-hook action and head-over-heels tropical romance!" And unleash a hurricane they do. They sneak out, go to parties til way past curfew, get arrested, and still their parents treat them like little angels. Wouldn't a normal parent introduce a little thing called discipline? And yes, once again the Olsen's' spend another movie running around and kissing boys who are about ten years older than them.

"But, amid the yachts, private jets, wave runners, scuba diving, motor scooters, horseback riding and moonlit strolls, Mary-Kate and Ashley stumble across an antiquities smuggling ring! Mary-Kate and Ashley discover the time of their lives on their... HOLIDAY IN THE SUN." Yep, once again the Olsens' spend another movie basically making a video memoir of the time they went water skiing, or swimming with dolphins, or going shopping. And this smuggling plot? Also ridiculous. From the moment they see an old man who has done nothing more than talk to one of their friends, they immediately label him as suspicious. And then comes the hilarious part. Hilerious because it's so stupid. The Olsens' chase this old man. And this guy is about 70 yet they can't keep up with him, and then this old guy does this slow-motion leap over a wall that's only about a foot high. And this is all supposed to be dramatic. The screen time of this smuggling ring? About two minutes.

And the ending cuts to the the Olsens' playing themselves for real, and they come across as REALLY big headed.

Thrown into this already completely stupid movie, is a "cute" kid who is annoying, a mum who you just want to slap.

Unless you have a death wish, or you're planning a vacation to the Bahamas and want to see the scenery, don't watch this movie. There are plenty of better ways you could spend 90 minutes.

cute.

Author: Ani from Michigan
5 July 2002

As a film, Holiday in the Sun was not very good. There were holes in the plot (where was Brianna Wallace in the second half of the movie?!) and the character developments were pretty awful. But, I love the Olsen twins and the extremely attractive guys they manage to dig up out of Hollywood, so I would watch this movie multiple times. If you're a fan of Mary-Kate and Ashley, you'd probably like this movie. If you're looking for a decent film with substance, search elsewhere.

I could have used those brain cells.

Author: evil_lsk from New York
31 March 2002

This movie is singlehandedly one of the worst films I have ever seen in my entire life. I'm 15 years old and it embarrasses me that there are people my age who actually enjoy this garbage, it gives reasonably mature and intelligent teenagers a bad name. Not only is this film staunchy, pretencious, wasteful, and incredibly egocentric, it actually cost me a few brain cells that unfortunately withered away while watching it. Overall, the filmmakers of this movie are trying extremely hard to make it art-house, (the camera use, etc) but all they end up doing is making fools of themselves and tripping all over this film. And shame on them for using the title of one of the best and most important Sex Pistols songs in this demeening manner!

very disappointing

Author: charmedchick from USA
26 November 2001

I was really disappointed with this movie. I usually really like mary-kate and ashley movies. They're not always very beliveable and they can be a little cheesy at times but they're always really enjoyable and a lot of fun. It wasn't so much the writing that bugged me, though the story did seem to go by without a lot of explaing or detail. It was the filming. This movie had to have the worst filming I've EVER seen. The shots were so weird sometimes and there was A LOT of close ups. One of the things that bugged me was that half of the film felt like you were watching a home movie that was taped by a five year old. Sometimes it looks like a movie and others it looks like it was filmed on a home video camera and the shots aren't very steady. I also thought that the way they ended it was weird.

What happened?

Author: April from Usa
15 November 2003

You know, I used to think that the Olsen movies were kinda cute. They weren't masterpieces by any means but they were fun for kids. But it seems to me that since the girls have gotten older, say since they've turned about 15, they have really been dissappointing! It all started with that horrible new t.v. show of theirs. All it is is a silly little what boy do you like and which outfit is cuter, ditzy show. Then they turned this movie, and every one since, into a "Hey, look how cute and grown up we are now" kind of movie. This whole movie is just shots of the girls trying to show how pretty they've gotten. They have went from being successful children with a head on their shoulders to a couple of bimbos. I only hope it's just a stage.

Quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

Author: unsolvedmre from Texas, United States
9 August 2002

Flipping through the channels a couple months ago, I noticed Holiday in The Sun, the newest Olsen Twins movie. Having not seen one since they were much younger, I was a bit curious. What was curiosity soon turned into utter fascination- at how this movie was ever made.

Sure, younger viewers will eat this up, but even a pre-teen should realize what a pitiful movie this is. The twins, in fact, are the best actors featured, which isn't saying much at all. Cliched to the max, the plot mundane and utterly implausible, I was left stunned, and even amused. The camera jerks away from whoever is talking, as I guess the director needed something to keep people awake while watching this train wreck. At times the film switches to black and white, which is supposed to achieve a certain artistic effect, I suppose. Unfortunately, all they've done is switch on "black and white"; these people need to watch "The Man Who Wasn't There" to appreciate what art can go into b & w.

I was 10 when i first watched this film and still haven't got over it!

Author: miss-marissa-xox from United Kingdom
3 June 2008

Okay, I used to love Mary-kate and Ashley films when i was too young to really understand the plot, but as soon as i hit double figures i discovered that the films were just air-headed bimbos flaunting the fact that they can be in their own movies. The film starts off by the bratty girls moaning that they cant go to Hawaii because they're going to the Bahamas in Daddy's private jet! OH NO. The so called villain Champlain (who's name must have been thought up by a recovering alcoholic who cant let go of his Champagne loving life) must be a sprint athlete! He must be touching 60 but still managed to 'run' away from MK&A in the 'chase scene' that makes Tom&Jerry chase scenes look like they should be 18 Rated. Why the hell was everyone allowed out on their own all the damn time?! Their dad seemed quite adamant that he wanted them to go to the Bahamas, so why when they got there did they all just ditch each other? Even Keegan, who looked like she isn't even in secondary education yet, was allowed to the beach on her own to drink root beer. Yes OK then. Breanna Wallis, who's friends were so far up her bum i could see them poking out of her mouth, was badly acted out and had no real role to play other than bunny-boiler! Griffin who 'isnt so geeky anymore' and all the so-called Hunks that all the girls love, cant act to save their lives and seem to get pleasure out of stalking MK&A until they get to make out with them. How many smoothies do two people need to consume in one movie?! Oh god and talk about clichés.. The police just happen to turn up as they happen to uncover some 'evidence.' 'You want evidence?, We got evidence.' No! shut up, don't talk to police like they are dumb. And why the hell weren't the twins locked up for stealing a boat? I'm from england and if i was to go to the port, break into a yacht, drive it without any form of license, search it and then when the police came to arrest me, i acted cocky, i would be banged up! I wanted to scratch my eyeballs out.

I have never seen such a terrible piece of garbage (may contain spoilers bahaha!!)

Author: Cappy-08 from Canada
28 January 2002

I have an eleven year old sister. She loves Mary Kate and Ashley. Bored one day I decided to watch the new movie from the gruesome twosome. I thought it would be an entertaining, cute movie because I was informed that the other MK and A movies are always entertaining and cute.

But I was wrong..... This movie is absolutely mind-blowingly terrible! the camera work was flashy for the purpose of being flashy, the acting was terrible, THERE WAS NO PLOT DEVELOPMENT, it was incredibly boring, and the writing was like complete gibberish to my ears. I can honestly say that this movie has made me dumber. There was no ending. No start or end.

I was even more disgusted by the credits! it was a take off of the ending credits of Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange!! How dare that mean, idiotic director embarrass a classic!

I have never felt so sorry for myself after watching this movie...Do not watch it... Do not rent it.... Do not come in 500000000 feet of this movie or else your head will explode!! I think this was the only film in which I had to take a tylenol after it finished.

I give this film a -10 out of 10, I hate it and everyone who thinks it was remotely entertaining.

And for my conclusion...the worst quote in movie history:

" I think its time.......to go to the washroom"

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]