IMDb > Inheritance (2004/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Inheritance

Inheritance More at IMDbPro »

Unique, tense, well-done film.

Author: Matt (darkbastion@hotmail.com) from Pennsylvania, USA
22 May 2004

Kristensen weaves an intriguing and visually polished tale through Inheritance. An extremely well done thriller with touches of Kubrick, Hitchcock, and Kristensen's own unique style. The film's tension is very well done, as it builds with a sure pace that keeps the viewer engaged. The characters, especially Taylor's eager-to-please Abbey, draw the audience in as the story progresses and the tension builds. It's very unique and very fun; certainly a great change of pace from the norm. Excellent performances by Taylor (the voice of Halo's Cortana) and Nelson. Inheritance is a breath of fresh air in a market glutted with cookie-cutter suspense thrillers; a very well done, very enjoyable film. Kristensen and Taylor are talents to watch.

Intelligent contemporary horror film

Author: bogwood from Seattle
19 October 2002

INHERITANCE channels classic 70s horror films like THE SHINING but is imbued with contemporary touches that firmly ground it in the here and now. Unlike the recent spate of teen slasher flicks, INHERITANCE draws you in with mystery and suspense and a plot that keeps you guessing right up until the end. Gorgeous cinematography and production design help to set and maintain an atmosphere that is both eerie and realistic. Nice understated performances by the leads help INHERITANCE transcend the expected conventions of the genre. Overall, a fresh, interesting take on the classic ghost story.

I really enjoyed this film!

Author: JeffreyS_72 from United States
7 January 2005

Brilliantly chilling. Beautifully shot. Artfully subtle. INHERITANCE is a great film. I've seen about a dozen indy/low budget films at festivals over the past five years and I don't like indy films in general, but this is one of two I have been surprised by and liked. Once it gets moving it's a very enjoyable cinematic ride. The story is great and well told. The film is sort of a noirish mystery/ghost story with a really great psychological undercurrent. A number of scenes had me practically vibrating in my seat with chills. The gorgeous palette and sets really added to the story as does a wonderful soundtrack with a couple of original songs by Robyn Hitchcock. I bet Twilight Zone and Buffy fans will really like it.

Give this one a shot

Author: jaman777 from United States
16 December 2004

It has truly been a while since a movie has stuck with me this long. INHERITANCE peels away at the layers of fear and rubs your nerve endings raw until all you are left with is the fear itself. This movie haunts you long after the standard "scary" film would have vanished from your psyche. It can be likened to an addict with two persona's. One persona is lively and full of worth, yet the second persona is lingering somewhere between a death wish, and the kind of hangover that makes you wake up in a cold sweat wondering what in the hell you might have done the night before. If you loved "The Shining", do yourself a favor and fall in love with Inheritance.

Not so Scary in Seattle

Author: tom2hoo from United States
20 April 2005

A good looking film with great performances but the suspense was not as great as I like to feel in a film of this genre so I was a bit disappointed overall. That said, I think the film shows a lot of promise with respect to the creative team that was behind it so I hope to see more from them in the future. You can see influences of Kubrick and Hitchcock but overall the pace was either too slow or did not build sufficiently for me. The climax was less than convincing and I left the theater wanting more from the material. Sounds cliché, but I think there was a great movie in there somewhere I just don't think it was realized with this film.

Very good, atmospheric flick

Author: travis-j-rodgers from United States
4 February 2005

**Minor Spoiler, maybe?** I gave this film an 8 though I would've gone 8.5 if I could've. It's certainly a solid B or better. I like picking up horror films that I've never heard of from the video store. I set my expectations low but I'm often disappointed anyway. This was an exception. This is probably the best of the class I've described.

Some of the acting is very good (female leads) and some of it is less than impressive (the lawyer, for instance, in a brief scene). The story built slowly over the first half hour, but if you can handle the slow burn, you'll be rewarded.

My only complaint is the brief nudity. I think it didn't add anything to the film, though it did seem a bit out of place, and so distracted from the story. The same effect could have been achieved without nudity, that's the bottom line.

"I didn't think they have listings for exorcists in the yellow pages." Awful.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
13 February 2006

Inheritance tells the tale of sinister old lady Lillian Baker (Marjorie Nelson) & her kind hearted, good natured carer Abigail Nielsen (Jen Taylor). Abigail feels sorry for Lillian & does her best to keep her happy, however one fateful night Lillian passes away in her sleep. Abigail is obviously upset & attends Lillian's funeral to say her goodbyes, it soon comes to light that Lillian has left Abigail her large house & it's entire contents a situation which Lillian's daughter Joan (Kathryn Mesney-Hetter) is unhappy with. The reason for Lillian's generosity becomes clear as her spirit starts to possess Abigail & take complete control of her body...

Edited, co-written, co-produced & directed by Kris Kristensen all the negative reviews & comments about Inheritance are true as far as I'm concerned. There is one thing I must say at this point, on the IMDb 'User Rating' page for Inheritance, at the time of writing, it has 17 '10' votes out of a total of 74 which just doesn't seem right to me. There is no way on Earth that Inheritance should have almost twice as many '10' votes as any other, I mean this film is just so bad it's untrue & those votes have to be fake, they just have to be otherwise I will lose all faith in humanity & question my entire existence on this planet. Now, what can I say about Inheritance? Well nothing particularly good that's for sure. Basically the whole thing is terrible, the story is very predictable, it has very few character's & no subplots to alleviate the tedium. This might have made a decent 25 odd minute Tales from the Crypt (1989 - 1996) episode because at almost 90 minutes this is tedium incarnate.

Director Kristensen films on what looks like a camcorder & has that cheap & nasty look to it. This has all the grace & visual flair of a soap opera but none of the style... The climax is hilariously bad as Kristensen tries to make three old ladies in their 80's or 90's look threatening & menacing! There is no tension, atmosphere or scares. There is no blood or gore & one tame sex scene.

Technically this has to be one of the most low-budget films ever, nothing happens & it all take space in one house with three basic actors. On a completely unrelated note while still a blonde Taylor the lead actress in Inheritance looks like a girl I know, she ended up crushing chocolates I brought for her under her high heeled shoes & gave me a good kick in the privates but that's another story...

Inheritance is awful, there really isn't much else to say & I can't really think of one positive thing to say about it. If you are unlucky enough to rent it out just don't say you weren't warned...

Subtle Independent Horror film has mild chills.

Author: loomis78-815-989034 from United States
15 March 2013

Mrs. Lillian Baker (Nelson) is a dynamic, but elderly woman who has to resort to having a caretaker, a young woman named Abby (Taylor), to help her get around. It seems clear that the bitter woman is close to death but seems to have something up her sleeve. After passing away, Abby soon discovers that the spirit of Mrs. Baker has taken up residence in her own body. The two souls battle for the one body in this mildly effective independent film. Director and co-writer Kris Kristensen does not set out to make a shock and gore show, but instead uses subtle tension and psychological scares to fill his movie. The performances are good, especially from Marjorie Nelson as Mrs. Baker. We really feel her frustration at being old and the flashes of menace do supply some chills. Fans of subtle character driven horror will enjoy this with a fun twist at the end. If you are looking for jumps, shocks or searing horror, then look elsewhere.

Excellent for an Indie Film

Author: Mei-Ling Tan from Australia
13 January 2010

I just watched "Inheritance" this evening and really enjoyed it. I was surprised at the beginning due to their being no lens filter (it felt strange) but oddly enough, I started to enjoy the stark look - it was quite out there and actually made the film scarier.

If you decide to see this film, it would be unfair to judge it against big production (budget) movies. This is an independent film and I think it does a great job for what it is. The acting is not at all bad and I do think some of the reviews here are unfair. Marjorie Nelson's character was positively creepy and Jen Taylor was believable and likable.

If you want something fresh, different and definitely scary, then you can't go wrong with this film.

Tight, fast paced independent thriller

Author: Matt from Seattle
9 January 2006

A tight little thriller that plays more on the intellect than the gut, although there were definitely a couple of scenes that had me quite tense. Nelson and Taylor give fine performances, and the camera work and pacing keep your interest throughout. The avoidance of clichéd "jump scenes", and the fact that most of this suspense/thriller flick is shot in daylight provides a pleasant contrast to the now mundane teen slasher/startlers, and adds increased drama to the scenes that are set at night or in darkened surroundings. The ending is also quite satisfying, allowing you to think for yourself and decide which of several possible explanations for the events in the movie is the solution. Thumbs up!