The Crisis Civilization is a documentary feature film investigating how global crises like ecological disaster, financial meltdown, dwindling oil reserves, terrorism and food shortages are ... See full summary »
Bill Moyers was given "carte blanche" to interview the brightest person in the world. Other interviewees -- over Moyers long history of interviewing the best and brightest -- directed him to Joseph Campbell, who had never been interviewed as such, was legendary in his scholarship in history and as a teacher. These two DVD discs represent just six hours of Moyers' interviews with Mr. Campbell shortly before Joseph Campbell died. Now preserved for all of us to enjoy.
The episodes are:
1. The Hero's Adventure: Examines our relationship with heroism; heroism as an integral part of all world cultures. Campbell challenges us to see the heroic journey on our lives.
2. The Message of the Myth: Campbell compares creation stories (Genesis, other religions). And how we are stuck with myths that may not meet our needs.
3. The First Storytellers: Discusses the importance of accepting death as rebirth as in the story of Christ or the myth of the buffalo, the rite of passage in primitive societies, the role of mystical Shamans, and the decline of ritual in today's society.
4. Sacrifice and Bliss: Examines the role of sacrifice in myth, which symbolizes the necessity for rebirth. Stresses the need for everyone of us to find our sacred place in the midst of today's fast-paced, technological world.
5. Love and the Goddess: Campbell talks about romantic love, beginning with the 12th century troubadours, and addresses questions about the image of women -- as goddess, virgin, Mother Earth.
6. Masks of Eternity: Campbell provides insights into the concepts of God, religion and eternity, as revealed in Christian teachings and the beliefs of Buddhists, Navajo Indians, Schopenhauer, Jung, and others.
Contains a bonus interview with George "Star Wars" Lucas on mythology.
I own over 3,500 DVDs and videos. This may be the most essential as it most directly impacts one's perceptions about life and afterlife, is easy to listen to, and leaves one more empowered than any Rocky-type movie. A score of 10, easily.
37 of 37 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?