IMDb > Real Women Have Curves (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Real Women Have Curves

Real Women Have Curves More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Ferrera is luminous! Ontiveros should be remembered come Oscar time!

Author: alfonsom from San Diego, USA
7 November 2002

Lopez's work is translated beautifully on screen. The cinematography is gorgeous! Kudos to HBO for releasing this wonderful film! Every Mexican person should go out and watch this one. Not only are Ferrera and Onitveros Oscar worthy, the whole cast is splendid!

The intuitive timing of Chaplin

Author: donlazaro from Inglewood, CA
7 November 2002

"Real Women" is an extraordinary film. It appears to be a pleasant ethnic comedy, but achieves something quite unique. Ms. Cardoso has drawn from her excellent cast universal characterizations that you do not expect to find in that genre. Her use of facial expression to instantly reveal what would require much more than an instant of dialogue enables her to suddenly switch from a ha-ha moment to a genuinely moving one. In this sense, her intuitive timing reminds me of Charlie Chaplin. By the way, don't leave when the credits start to roll, or you may miss a surprising "book-end" sequence that is just another genius touch in this production.

MUJERES TIENE GANAS!

Author: Tami from McAllen, Texas
3 November 2002

Newcomer America Ferrera is brilliant as Ana in Real Women Have Curves. Although it's unfortunate that the title limits the description of a "real woman" to body type, (because this movie and this character was SO MUCH MORE!) Ana's character is strong-willed, with a self-esteem that see-saws between loving herself unconditionally and taking baby-steps to pronounce her independence from her mother.

Ana's mother was a character that I loved to hate, played by Lupe with stereotypes that can be proudly identified with by all women. I was intimidated by the white boyfriend, because of what it might say to young Latinos in America, but felt the strength of our main character was powerful enough to show that this film isn't always about race. It's a story about all people, not just women from East Los Angeles, Mexicanas or those who are fat.

First a Little Guilt

Author: frankgaipa from Oakland, California
2 November 2002

Better start with a confession. I'm one of those people who looks at Renoiresque (or is it Rubenesque), or by the same token anorexic, and sees ill health. Drawn by critics' raves, I sit through a film like this, one part of me constantly cringing, going "What about heart strain? What about diabetes? You're turning yourself into your mother physically, even as you resent her!" But the film and the heroine are smart enough to incorporate this irony.

That said, the two leads are fairly predictable. More interesting are the sister Estela, the grandfather, and (can't figure what else to call her) the fattest of the sweatshop workers. A nice touchpoint for this film is Junji Sakamoto's "Kao."

Movie without violence still pleases and engages

Author: (linda_ball@lbffp.com) from Austin, Texas
27 October 2002

They managed to touch on all sorts of cultural issues and condoms and menopause while using racial stereotyping to full advantage. I don't mean that in a bad way. They showed the hard-working, conflicted families with strong ties to their culture that are behind the music, the colorful murals, the language, the jobs as landscape workers and seamtresses. And there was never a gun pointed. There was no egregious nudity. You just felt like you were a fly on St. Antonio's nose, observing an ordinary family. I worry that a movie can't seem to move along without the plot stimulus of violence. This one proves that the real life most of us see is rich enough with story.

It's about time...

Author: amy60640 (amy60640@yahoo.com) from Chicago
26 October 2002

that a movie came out that is actually relevant to today's world! This movie is about a girl that can actually exist in my neighborhood and the neighborhoods of just about anyone. It's the answer to all of the "tormented-white-upper middle class-kid" movies like "American Beauty" and "The Virgin Suicides". I can actually care about this girl and about what happens to her.

I had the privilege of attending a free screening of this film, compliments of Latina magazine. I attended the screening with my 13-year-old daughter (who's a dead ringer for America Ferrera). It touched us both.

We laughed at all of the stereotypes that had more that just a little grain of truth to them. We were frustrated with the mom when she and Ana butted heads. We applauded when Ana took a stand against her mom, and utlitmately, against society's expectation of Latin women.

I would recommend this movie to just about anyone, especially women and adolescent girls. Please, don't miss this!

A Latina Breaking Away

Author: cestmoi from United States
25 October 2002

What a lovely breaking away film this is! Superb cast, wonderful script, inventive and thoughtful camera work, amazing music track, almost entirely deftly done. The thematic (title theme, if not the real theme of the film) scene in the literal sweat shop is over the top, but that simple flaw does not diminish the everall effectivness of the film. The young lead is nothing short of sensational. Her acting was real in the way that my eighteen year old granddaughter's life is real. Yes, sentimental, yes, somewhat predictable...(there are 8 stories, all the rest are variations...use your own number and you are still looking at the truth) but touching and artfully pulled off.

Truly one of the year's best films.

Author: docinaustin (docinaustin@mac.com) from Austin, Texas
23 October 2002

I was astounded after watching "Real Woman Have Curves" this evening. All the early reviews I have seen give the film high marks, yet I needed to see for myself (and I'm glad I did). Lately, there have been a rash of movies which during some point the audience tends to drift away, leaving the theatre mentally. This is not one of those films. From the beginning you really do like Ana. You do not pity her for being an overweight teen. You embrace her for telling the world what it can do to itself for its ideas on image. She is a self-assured, confident Latina who knows what she wants but has yet to figure out how she's going to get it. You come to enjoy all the characters in the film; including the wonderfully played, traditional mother. You feel as if you are spying on a truly important transition in a young woman's life instead of watching a movie. Ana's confidence becomes contagious and rubs off on family members and even co- workers. This movie says to me "embrace yourself". I recommend you watch this movie, laugh a little and eat some flan.

Smart & Funny movie

Author: Babybug3 from Washington
20 October 2002

Wow! This was such a great movie; it managed to be both funny and intelligent at the same time. It is also able to deal with both humorous matters and serious issues, without making either seem unimportant.

America Ferrera brought such charisma and energy to the part of Ana, as well as honesty. I appreciate what she has done for both minority and larger-figured women by being in this movie.

However, when it comes down to it, this movie isn't about size or shape. "Real Women Have Curves" is about accepting who we are and embracing it. To see a movie with such a simple, real theme in this day and age is quite refreshing!

One to see

Author: jimorris from Arlington, VA
16 October 2002

"Real Women Have Curves" tells the story of a teenager who wants to go to college but knows her family has other expectations. You follow her as she 'grows up' in different ways. A warm, realistic coming-of-age film. GRADE = "A-"

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]