IMDb > Real Women Have Curves (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

breakout performance

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 June 2015

Ana Garcia (America Ferrera) is frustrated by her mother (Lupe Ontiveros) who demands her to work for her sister at their garment factory. Her teacher Mr. Guzman (George Lopez) wants her to go to college. Her father is more sympathetic. Jimmy from school likes her.

While I appreciate the family drama, I really don't like either the mother or the daughter. Ana is too angry, too bitter and too whiny. The mother is too angry, too bitter and too whiny. They are definitely related. On top of that, the story layers on some body issues. Also some of the story feels unnatural. Her mother's claim of pregnant feels weird. Even if it's inspired by a true story, it doesn't feel necessary. What shines through are the two lead actresses. America Ferrera gets her big break and Lupe Ontiveros is charismatic.

This movie is about the conflict between the older generation and first generation Mexican American

Author: lee-ho-cheung-brian
7 April 2014

This movie describes the relationship between Ana and her mother. It can accurately portrait the value of a traditional Mexican woman. In the movie, we can see that the expectation of Ana's mother is so different from Ana while Ana is a first generation American born Mexican. Ana's mother has a strong sense of family value and the expectation on a traditional Mexican woman. In a particular scene, Ana was taught by her mother how to "walk like a woman" while we can also relate the last scene that Ana walked like a woman in New York. The director of this movie tries to convey a message that "real women" do not need to be defined by the society. If you have curves, then you are a real woman.

Not only skinny women are beautiful - by Lily Enos

Author: lilijiangjing from United States
5 April 2010

By looking at the title of the film "Real Women Have Curves," audiences can clearly know that film will talk about a group of women who have different sizes as others. This culture movie talked about a Mexican American family's life in L.A. The main character Ana is an American- born girl who has an old fashion Mexican-born mother. Sometimes they have had hard times communicating with each other because they grow up in different cultures and her mother Carmen always convinced Ana to do some things as her. This film has own style, which made it more special than others, such as the characters' chosen and their authenticity.

Most female characters in the film were not good-looking women. It helps us related to real Mexican Americans look like. The main character Ana was a regular high school student who was not as other girls who make up and dress up nicely to go to school everyday. She cared about her schoolwork and she tried hard to convince her family to agree with her to continue her education. However, her mother Carmen thought that Ana should stay home, take care of men and get married to a nice person instead of thinking about college. Therefore, after Ana graduated from high school, her mother convinced her to work in her sister's dress factory which Ana was not very happy about doing. In the dress factory, most workers came from Mexico, wanting to have job in the U.S. However, even though they work hard making dresses, they did not get paid enough, only receiving $18 for each dress and each of them will be sold at $600 in the stores. When Ana heard this unfair business, she wondered why her sister still doing the job that she didn't even get paid fairly. One day in the factory, Ana felt so hot of working in the humid room which did not have any conditioners. Ana did not care about what her mother said concerning how fat she was, she just took off her clothes to cool herself. Her mother thought Ana was crazy and she felt very embarrassed that Ana didn't care about her appearance and body size. Her mother always said that Ana was too fat and she needed to lose weight. Other workers started to talk about fatness, and all of them thought they were fatter than one another. They started to take off their clothes to compete with each other to see who have the fattest body. They didn't think being oversize is a bad thing and they have confidence in their appearance. In this scene, audiences can see a truth of these Mexican American women. Even though they are overweight, they have confidence about their looks. In addition, it showed they are real women who have curves.

This movie was not only focused on culture and women, it also focused on the motions of each member of the Mexican American family. Ana's dad seemed understand what Ana really wanted to do in her future, and he always stayed positives on Ana's decision. Her grandfather loved Ana and he respected her decision, too. Her grandfather even helped Ana dated with Jimmy who is Ana's boyfriend without telling Carmen. Other family member, such as her sister and boyfriend, all support her for going to college and continue her education. If you are interested in Mexican American culture, I recommend you to watch this movie and it will give you many information of how Mexicans' lives look like in the U.S.

A real life coming of age movie

Author: lindsay_horton from United States
11 June 2006

This is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. It's about love, it's about coming of age, it's about how family can help and hinder, and most importantly......it's about being true to yourself. The movie truly touched my heart and made me cry and laugh. And boy oh boy did I cheer at the end. This movie speaks for ALL who want to please but at the same time know deep inside they do what they must do. A movie of love......what more can you ask for! I thought that Anita's problems were handled very sensitivity especially the sequence where she makes love for the first time. Her MOM is not quite the dragon that she is made out to be at first. She is a mother who just really wants her daughter to be happy but yet is stuck in her own time frame. And has bought into how the world thinks a woman's body is supposed to be. When her mother says she is pregnant and does not realize it's the change of life........Funny.......(being that age myself have been there and done that) It's funny yet sad. Do we stop being women just because our bodies change? Yet a lot of society says so. But I thought the saddest thing was when Anita's MOM could not say goodbye.......What her MOM does not realize.....she has NOT lost a daughter......she brought up a BRIGHT INTELLIGENT WOMAN, who will go far. The LOVE that is showed is remarkable.....her DAD......her Grandfather......her sister....this may be not in the way we all would wish......But it is there. Change is hard...But change is inevitable. GREAT MOVIE......2 THUMBS UPS!!!!!!

Real Women Have Curves

Author: JZitnik25 from United States
22 March 2006

Real Women have Curves is an alright film. We had to watch it for a class, otherwise I'm not sure I would have picked it out. America Ferrera does an excellent job portraying a girl that is caught between growing up in the white dominated United States, and her Mexican heritage. She is confused, and in a way an outsider. She is well suited in this leading role. Lupe Ontiveros steps out of her typical role of maid, and delivers a performance that makes you feel sorry for Ana, and hate her. She portrays Ana's mother who doesn't understand why Ana doesn't want to work, why she wants to go to school, and why she embraces her curves. Overall this movie deals

with the cultural/political undertones well, and ends up being a real feel good tale.

Young Women! See This Movie!

Author: Patricia Looweedjiccabumpski from West Virginia, United States
1 October 2005

This is a good story. The close-knit Latino family is opened to our eyes so that we are like a peeping mousie in their household. Ana (America Ferrera) is so wise and wonderful at 18, in her perception of love and young men, well, this is a revelation to those who were brought up clinging and helpless-seeming. Ana has a few insecurities about weight, no doubt inculcated with a trip hammer by her relentless mother, superbly played by Lupe Ontiveros, whom many will recall as the eagle-eyed mother-in-law of Gabrielle on "Desperate Housewives," but Ana knows that she is so much more than poundage. She knows her worth. Ana is not a perfect teen. She "shows herself," as they used to call pouting and glum expressions on the young!, and quite often is resentful and disapproving (sometimes rightly) of her elders and their errors, which she can see but they cannot. But her heart is in the right place. The men in this movie (particularly Jorge Cervera, Jr. as Ana's father and Felipe de Alba as the grandfather) are kind and understanding, never contentious testosterone-bearers. These men seem to submit to the women characters while still retaining their machismo. They have a chivalry and sensitivity about them, but they are not weepy or weak. Ana's boyfriend (Brian Sites) is a real love! He is never licentious or libidinous (in an offensive way). Their first-ever sexual encounter is good-humored, trusting, planned carefully by Ana who bravely purchases the condoms, and, when it's over, she has this valiant capability of detaching from romantic mush and unrealistic expectations, facing the young man's departure for college as a signal that time and events will inevitably separate them and she does not require him to make sappy pledges of fidelity or eternal love. Ana was magnificent. She did tell him he'd probably end up with a skinny girl, but maybe she was just being statistically accurate and not self-condemning. I liked this girl and rooted for her to claim that scholarship and get that education, knowing that she would then be able better to help her struggling family, including her exemplary older sister, touchingly and winningly portrayed by Ingrid Oliu. I never had the least fear that going away to Columbia University on scholarship would sever Ana's ties to her loving family or to the problematic mother, whose own life experiences made her the way she was, the way many mothers are when their daughters are about to make novel choices that will take them beyond where their mothers got to go. Love is very much warp and woof for this family. The character I liked less, because of her evident avarice and heartlessness, was the dress company rep, whose bottom line was her only line. Teenagers would be wise to see this one, especially girls. They might be inspired to like their appearances more because of Ana's fearless mien! You don't have to be size 2! And girls might try to find a boyfriend like Ana's Jimmy. What a sweet duo they were. Would that all young people, bent on losing their virginities, did it in such gentle, safe, and trusted circumstances as these two youngsters did it. This movie is a nice slice of life. Very well done. (I hate those dress companies that sell for $600 and give those sweating seamstresses $18/dress! What piggish tyrants exist in the business world! Down with unfair sweatshops and up with these good people!)

Affirming

Author: Polaris_DiB from United States
12 September 2005

"Real Women Have Curves" is a film that, like many others, deals with various issues of race, generation, societal, weight, and gender conflict. The lead character is Ana, a girl who struggles with her own desire for independence while her mother uses her weight and her ethnicity to keep her "in her place." Movies dealing with these issues abound, and are in fact a rather significant part of the film industry. This film, however, is nice because it's rather life-affirming. Instead of making me (who is a white male) hate himself for being white, it instead makes me enjoy this look into another person's difficulties. Too many films about these issues tend to have something in the way of "survivor guilt." "Look at my culture, and see how beautiful it is. Now feel bad for not appreciating it before you saw this." This film is different, and it's rather enjoyable.

For that matter, the overall dialog is clever and funny, so it's certainly a film to sit back and enjoy, and in the process feel a little bit more hopeful about the world.

--PolarisDiB

Review of Real Women Have Curves

Author: vadirtysouth42 from United States
3 August 2005

This movie is about a young latina girl who just graduated high school. She got a full scholarship to a prestigious university in New York City, yet her parents want her to stay in Texas and help the family. This movie is about her summer after graduation, and all the growing up she does. She realizes her mind is worth just as much, if not more, than her body. She learns to stand up for her beliefs. I like the slices of latino culture throughout. America Ferara is a very pretty young woman, I like how she is so serious, and she can do romance, and anger. I love the factory scene where she lets her mom have it. But, I should not discuss that. Go see it.

I loved it

Author: charity-gallen from Canada
10 June 2005

I thought this movie was excellent! It was so funny and really portrayed a day in the life of a curvy woman. I loved the part when they took off their clothes at the factory. And it really shows the work that goes into making clothes and how they get nothing for it but the dresses get sold for hundreds of dollars.

The emotional reactions of the daughter to the mothers nagging and belittling comments were very moving, I could feel her pain. I love how the daughter got up the strength to feel good about her body in spite of her mother. I would recommend this movie to anyone but especially young curvy girls that are struggling with self esteem issues.

A Reality-Based Movie!

Author: carol-160 from United States
23 May 2005

What a breath of fresh air! Real women in real situations. By "real women" I am referring to mothers, daughters, grandmothers, in all shapes and sizes. No Hollywood anorexic beauty queens here. By "real situations" I mean life for hard working Mexican-Americans in Los Angeles. No Hollywood fantasy plots or CGI enhancement needed. Plenty of conflict and interesting situations involving a teenager wanting to go to college and her family. Particularly memorable is a scene in the sweat shop run by her sister. Also touching is the relationship between the teen and her grandfather. Her relationship with her mother is deeply explored and a source of tremendous and well-acted angst. Definitely a must see!

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]