IMDb > An Outpost of Progress (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

An Outpost of Progress More at IMDbPro »

A good movie... I think.

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
28 August 2003

***Possible spoilers*** Before I review this movie, I have to say that I saw it on TV late, late at night several years ago, and I wasn't paying that much attention to it. So you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little vague with the details.

I believe it takes place during the British empire. Two Brits, and a few of their servants, are stationed on a trading post somewhere in the jungle. Nobody has ever come back from this trading post alive.

One of the guys is a jerk who sees nothing wrong with ripping off the native people. The other guy (I think his name is Cayertz --sp?) has a few more morals, and is always getting mad at the jerk. Throughout the movie however, Cayertz gradually loses his morals, one by one.

The last straw comes when the jerk sells all their servants into slavery for elephant tusks. Cayertz gets really mad and shoots the jerk. He is then very depressed about committing murder, and... well, the movie doesn't have a happy ending.

The movie moves kind of slow, but it's only about 45 minutes, so the pace doesn't matter much. It has a creepy, depressing feeling to it overall. I suppose it's worth watching if you have a good chunk of free time and want to see something interesting. You'll never want to work at a trading post after watching this movie, that's for sure.