IMDb > Double Dragon (1987) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Double Dragon (VG) More at IMDbPro »

One of the best arcade games ever made!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
4 June 2004

Double Dragon (1987) was one of the best arcade games ever made. The story is simple, it involves two brothers. One of their girlfriends is beaten up and dragged off by some sleazy dirt bags. The two of you have to find her and fight your way through a savage gauntlet of knife throwing punks, women with whips, thug wielding baseball bats and huge

overmuscled fighters. What makes this game fun it that weapons can be used (i.e. thrown, hit with, or wield). Even garbage cans, crates and metal containers can be used! The game is whole lot more exciting when two players team up. It's a nice way to lose a dollar. One of the few arcade games that can last a long time.

Highly recommended, if you can find a machine!

A+

THE definitive beat-em-up

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
3 February 2006

Double Dragon is commonly referred to as the first side-scrolling beat-em-up. It's not, there were a couple of minor hits before it, but it sure is the best that has ever dominated our arcades.

Back in 1987 me and my uncle spent a fortune on this game and it took us about 40 million credits to get to the end. It was almost as exhausting as actually beating up hundreds of thugs. You'd hammer the buttons so hard that by the time the game had ended, you're arm would be tripled in size and you'd be sweating like crazy. And I was only 7-years-old at the time!

Despite the games that followed which were classics in their own right (Streets of Rage, Final Fight) none really ever matched up to Double Dragon. When playing as 2 players, this game is absolutely lethal. By the time I was 12 I managed to finish it with a single credit. That's how sad I am. Or is it because the game is so good?

But it ain't just it's high playability that makes it so good. The cartoonish graphics have just enough color and Manga to make them almost iconic. And the music? It's amazing! When I was 7 I'd be humming this at school or while I was walking down the road. Even 19 years later it hasn't dated a bit and still sounds brilliant. So many themes, so many melodies and so bloody cool.

Double Dragon was also released on practically every home platform (don't get me started on the awful C64 version) but none of them, not even the recent Gameboy Advance version, really ever matched up to the awesomeness of the arcade machine. If you see this game, do not hesitate to spend all of your hard-earned pennies on it. It's well worth it.

Graphics A Sound A+ Gameplay A+ Lasting Appeal A

Once again, fun arcade game becomes mediocre NES game.

Author: Aaron1375
28 February 2012

When doing this review keep in mind my score is kind of a combination of the arcade game and the NES version of the game. This was one of those awesome at the time arcade games that you and a friend could play together. Playing as the martial arts brothers you fight your way through multiple levels, battling various street thugs to rescue Marian, one of the brother's girlfriend. Fun way to waste quarters, for the finale you and the friend had to duke it out after battling a machine gun wielding maniac! Then there was the NES version, which took out the two players fighting along side each other and made a much weaker game out of what was a cool arcade game. It is not the only time this has occurred as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would do the same thing as would multiple others. I can understand why, as it is very difficult for a cartridge to go up against a huge cabinet arcade game devoted to playing only one game, but still, why must the co-op always be taken out first? The fighting is still okay I guess, but no two player mode made for one disappointing day as I remember finally being able to rent this and having a friend over and then being saddened with the realization that we would have to take turns rather than team together to take out the trash!

Where some of it began.......

Author: devil_may_cry_ldk_dante_sparda from U.S.
30 March 2003

This may have not been the first brawl fest videogame of its time but it truly is a legend. Double Dragon included no holds barred street fighting blended with martial arts discipline and was impressive for being on the 8 bit Nintendo. Sometimes I regret having sold my Nintendo cause I had this game! Either way, your mission is to rescue your girlfriend from some thugs and it seems that only in this part, your brother Jimmy is a bad guy! Anyway, as difficult as this game was, it truly is responsible for the spawning of great fighting games even today.

One of the best games for the NES

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
28 July 2006

Rated E(Contains Violence)

Released in 1988 Double Dragon is one of the first side-scrolling beat-em up fighting games.Sort of like Final Fight.In my opinion this is one of the best games released for the NES.For 1988 it was almost flawless.

The graphics were fairly good for its time and the gameplay was fun and simple.Double Dragon is a nice fun fighting game.You can fight using your fists and legs or you could use various weapons that you can find.This is one of the first of many side-scrolling fighting games to come.Double Dragon is a fun and good NES game.One of the best NES games in my opinion.

Great fighting game!

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
31 October 2002

Double Dragon (1988, NES) is a fun 2D Scrolling fighter game. Your quest is to go through an entire city mission by mission to save your girlfriend! Every time you earn enough 1,000 points fighting, your character will earn another heart which means another special move. I had this game on the NES. It was definitely one of my favorites! It is still part of my video game collection even today. Although the graphics and game play didn't match up to the arcade counterpart, it still was a fabulous game that is challenging, but not too difficult. It had 2 sequels after it. Double Dragon II: The Revenge and Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones.

Remember, watch out for Abodo!

Bad things happen when you mess with success.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
4 June 2004

Double Dragon (1988) was a terrible release. When the arcade classic made it's way to the N.E.S. I was stoked! That was until I played the game. It blew big time. The game was changed so much that it was barely recognizable. I was truly disappointed. The final nail in the coffin was the lack of a two player mode! That was it! Why did they have to mess with a good thing. Hell, I wouldn't mind the modification so much if the made it a two player game. That was the whole point of the game. I mean you can call it Double Dragon with only one player, now can you?

'nuff said.

C-

The Game Boy version is better than the N.E.S. one.

Old Skool perfection

Author: mynameismichaelcaine (vandamaholic@hotmail.com) from Leeds, England
9 December 2002

There is no scrolling adventure game that has ever touched this. Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage are nothing in comparison. I had the Amiga version and it has to be one of the greatest games of all time. If you have a NES or an Amiga, get it!

Double Dragon

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
14 January 2005

The Double Dragon series is one of the most unique fighting video games! The characters, the action, and the sure thrill of excitement makes this game a fun non-stop playing time! Below is a brief look how I think the game is!

Game Play: The game play is very good. There is really basic controls here and is easy to perform. Novice gamers should have a good time here!

Graphics: The graphics are wonderful especially for the regular Nintendo System! The backgrounds are really beautiful!

Difficulty: The game is easy but as it goes on you find out that it will become more difficult!

Music: The music is great! Just fantastic catchy tunes through out the game! In My opinion its some of the best music ever in a video game!

Sound: The sound is great. Nuff said!

Overall: I have always loved Double Dragon! If you like excellent fighting adventure games then I strongly recommend you play this game!

To purchase this video game and other Double Dragon games check out Amazon.com!

One of the best NES video games...

Author: Kirvic Aguilera (knemesis16@hotmail.com) from Vargas, Venezuela
25 October 2005

In the beginning of video games history there was the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) at the top, it was the system with most users around the world. Double Dragon was a game that allow two players at the same time to fight in the streets going right in the screen, passing levels and winning skills and new movements. There was tow brothers, Jimmy and Billy Lee, they was going to rescue the Billy's girlfriend that were been kidnapped by bad guys with a very bad boss. It was a game that mark my life and i keep playing it! This and the 2 sequels are video game history and a Must! to every video game addict...