IMDb > Hansel & Gretel (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hansel & Gretel More at IMDbPro »

c'est le garbage

Author: vlad_tepes97 from United States
24 September 2006

i read the DVD case. it promised a stellar cast and adventures for my 8yr old daughter. i got it for my daughter and watched it with her. it was awful from start to finish. it made me cringe all the way through. i could feel my IQ dropping the longer i watched.

1. flatulence humour. no thanks.

2. anachronistic dialogue and so-called "cool" slang.

3. pitiful indoor sets. it looked like they were just shooting the same set from a different side of the room.

4. references, in what was probably meant to be a children's movie, to adult movies like the silence of the lambs was just the pits.

5. smartmouthed and pointless characters.

the lone bright spots for me were mcraney and redgrave. at least they sounded almost authentic.

oui. c'est le garbage.

Unfortunately lame.

Author: dan-e-black from United States
17 November 2011

This is supposed to be first-and-foremost a kids' movie, and I understand trying to also draw the adults in, but this movie not only fails at that miserably, but somewhat compromises what a kids' movie should be. For one thing, the word "seduce" does not even belong in a movie for kids, and yet was used at least a few times with obvious adherence to it's true meaning - nor did there need to be a wood-fairy dressed up in shorts that would more normally be seen on a Hooters waitress.

The modern-day references and product plugs that can be found throughout just felt entirely out of place in a fairy-tale. And it was just downright sad to see Howie Mandel stuck on using his "Bobby" voice in one of the scenes - just let it go man... let it go.

Not only that, but half the stuff that happens in the movie did not happen in the original Grimm brothers' tale - and yet at the end you have Howie Mandel's character burst onto the scene with two other characters that had no place in the story claiming that the Grimm brothers got all their inspiration from him and his party-crashing buddies. It was pitiful to see. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that the writers come up with this garbage and the actors just play along. I don't think I could take being forced to be complicit in that much blatant idiocy, unless I was making some serious bank.

In the end, if you have a chance to see this movie, don't. And if your kids have a chance to see this movie - forbid it. I felt embarrassed for all the parties involved on-screen the entire time I was watching it.

A fun family film

Author: mike-downing-1 from United States
7 June 2008

This is a fun flick.

The actors do a good job. Delta Burke is excellent and Lynn Redgrave has many funny lines. The child actors did a good job as well. And while I usually don't care much about Howie Mandell, I think he struck the right note as the Sandman.

Yes, the sets are simple, but this is a fairy tale. Fairy tales are skin and bones--nighttime stories--they are not meant to be miracles of on-location production.

Maybe I'm old school, but I'll take a good story with good actors on a simple stage over fancy special effects any time. My wife and I watched Hansel and Gretel after we watched Cloverfield (with all of its special effects, including intentional shaky camera), and we thought H&G was way better.

Plus, there is no swearing, no boob or penis jokes, and no gratuitous violence. Not that I'm a prude, but I think they did a good job of preserving the message of the movie: magic resides in our dreams.

A fun film for the entire family.

A kids TV show on the big screen

Author: Thomps2525 from Glendale CA
19 October 2002

The Brothers Grimm wrote a short story called "Hansel & Gretel." Tag Entertainment did a fair job at converting it into a movie, although the film probably would play better on television. The film switches back and forth between the actual story of Hansel & Gretel and the father who is reading the Hansel & Gretel story to his kids. The kids, one of whom is Dakota Fanning (from "I Am Sam") are far better actors than the adults. Delta Burke's character, in particular, is very exaggerated and over-the-top, in the style of Edie McClurg. The woods that Hansel & Gretel get lost in are painfully obvious indoor sets. Trees in the background are flat paintings and, in the more distant background, there appears a blue wall where there should be dense stands of trees. Kids won't notice, though, and the movie is aimed at kids. The Sandman, as portrayed by Howie Mandel, comes across as buffoonish and silly and not very likable. And why oh why does almost every kid-oriented movie have to contain so many farts and belches? But of course "Hansel & Gretel" made no promises to greatness, and the average kid will enjoy it.

A twisted fairy tale

Author: Oz-38 from United States
5 February 2003

Hansel and Gretel, is the story of two kids who meet a witch in a house made of gingerbread. But this version, is twisted.

The stepmother, wants to live in a house with a tv, and thinks the kids will stop her from that. So, she takes them into the woods, and leaves. Hansel & Gretel get lost, and meet the sandman, a wood fairy and the troll.

But, a "twister" blows them towards a gingerbread house, and a near-sited old woman comes out, offering them food... but, the woman is not what she seems...

This film has a great cast, and the story is great. But, there are several gags that slow down the storyline. One of which, is that the story is being told by a father telling his children. (the father is "reading" the book, but makes things up, which explains the twisted version)

This film is good, but the gags might tempt you to turn it off, before you even see the witch in her gingerbread house.

Great for kid's imagination!!!

Author: candahope (candahope@hotmail.com) from Texas, USA
11 November 2004

This movie is great for the whole family to sit down together and watch. I love the jokes and references, there is just enough to keep the parents interest along with the children's. For example my favorite reference is the stepmother's comment about "Designing Women", (the stepmother is played by Delta Burke)and the kids enjoy most of them as well. What 7 year old boy doesn't thing farts and burps are funny. It's not intended to be a serious version of the classic fairy tale. It's supposed to be modern and goofy. The characters are over-dramatic and cartoonlike. Perfect for children to imitate and use there imaginations. Great cast of actors. I absolutely love it. It's fun.

Adults and older kids will enjoy this.

Author: pac8 from New York
3 August 2004

A fun film. Yes, it's long. Yes, it does seem a bit redundant at times, but the modern twists and dialogue and, if you are paying close attention, a bit of Monty Python and various other more mature film lines tucked in for fun, not to mention a certain chorus from a Metallica song, Sandman.

Howie Mandell did a great job as the Sandman but the character seemed a bit off with it's stereotypical "gay lisp" and at the same time, ogling the Wood Fairy - who resembles a certain young lady from Tomb Raiders with her Fairy wands strapped to her thighs and her short shorts. Delta Burke was fun as the Wicked Stepmother. You truly wanted to see her get her just desserts in the end, but she doesn't. And even that was a nice twist on the tale. Lynn Redgrave always adds to a role. She is superb as the fiendish female version of Hannibal Letcher.

This is aimed at an older audience, not little children. The humor and the references are going to go over the heads of the younger set.