IMDb > My Sassy Girl (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Yeopgijeogin geunyeo

My Sassy Girl More at IMDbPro »Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (original title)

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Perfect.

Author: Ryan Miller (rtil@washington.usa.com) from United States
28 October 2004

After viewing this movie I thought, what was wrong with it? When it got to about 10 minutes of thinking I realized that this was a hopeless effort.

Honestly, if you can't give this film a 10 out of 10, what other movie deserves one? This film is the perfect mix of comedy, drama, romance, some of the best storytelling I've ever seen, and even some surprise action scenes! And what's best, it's universal. I'm sure some would avoid this film simply because it's Korean - but that's where you'd make a mistake.

This film makes sense to anyone who's a teenager or has been one (recently.) Both college students, the clumsy, laid back Gyeon-woo and "The Girl", a whimsical tomcat, make for one interesting couple for the main characters. And everything that they encounter throughout the film magically comes together in the end, and it's truly heartwarming. You'll laugh, you'll cry, no matter who you are. I guarantee it. It couldn't be any better!

Watch this brilliant film before Hollywood poisons it

Author: Fru_is_Insomniac from Philippines
28 April 2005

I heard that there will be a remake of My Sassy Girl, so as my subject say, GO WATCH IT NOW! This movie is so beautiful! The actors are brilliantly acted very well. The story is just plain, simple, it is my all time favorite movie! My sassy Girl is almost a perfect film, so I have no question why everyone who watched it, they liked it. My sassy girl is a classic, no not even it's co-Asian countries will remake or retain the power of this movie. This film is what you called "Exclusively for Koreans" so Hollywood, live this movie alone OK! But still, WATCH IT NOW! BEFORE Hollywood POISON THIS FILM!

Deeply touching

Author: Nant
27 July 2005

This is my „afterword" – maybe it's written more for myself, but please don't mind it and my lack in English too.

When watching movies we rarely know what to wait from them and the least we wait the film to affect us so hard that suddenly a completely new dimension appears to us, that the movie will make us to look on things and life from a different viewpoint, will make you to remember forgotten things. But movies like that exist, and this is one of them .

Thinking about this film I start to consider what the movie makers really want to achieve creating films and what is the task for a movie. Is it a picture movie with good cameraman's work, good acting , story or impressive special effects? These things are important ,but in my opinion, in a good movie the main is the message of it. I don't know if it is the director, the scriptwriter or the crew together who made this movie to touch the viewer, made him to look with a different look, who worked to make this film to deliver the message as it is, but I can say that they have achieved their aim.

This movie is humane. It's message and characters are humane. It has no meaning if the end of the movie is happy or sad - there is joy and pain both in it, because that's exactly how the life is.

I liked this movie. But it is impossible for me to rate it the same it's not possible for me to rate my own life.

This movie touched me. I hope that many others too.

SPOILER: Excellent movie that worth seeing the 2nd time to enjoy the detail

Author: ClimberL from Behind Computer
29 August 2002

The attention to detail, the depth and width of the plot is amazing. The movie is so good that it provide good entertainment to many audience.

I cannot grasp all of it till I saw it the second time. There are several plots in the movie. I am learning more about the movie when I am writing this.

It's NOT only a love story of how 2 people with contrasting personality fall in love; it may give that impression to some people. It's NOT a normal dumb boy chase beautiful girl flick.

STOP READING and see the movie again if you really think this movie is just a romantic flick with funny jokes. You will enjoy it more.

SUPER SPOILER ---------------------

The Character: The girl always think she is special (she say that explicitly when she is crying at the hillside), and which beautiful girl doesn't? Or at least everyone else wish to? She is very self-centered, proud, witty (remember how quick she get Gyun-Woo out of class?), talented (kendo, piano, squash, dance), not afraid of how people look at her, live in a quite well off family etc.

The director has to stress that Gyun-Woo is smart (from their parents) because viewer may not really notice that if they don't really observe. He is a sensitive person, probably due to his girlish upbringing.

Gyun-Woo is quite layback, and yet to determine what he desire or want in life in the beginning. And that's one of the reason the girl said, 'I have met the boy from the future' at the ending. For the first 3 years they meet, they are not really ready for each other, due her ex-boyfriend (exbf) and personality. They are at the crossroad, so they eventually have to split.

The Story: In the subway, Gyun-Woo gets the girl's attention immediately since he looks like her ex-boyfriend. She may actually intentionally grasp his attention by vomiting etc. Then she announces to the public right away that he is her 'Sweet heart', so he have no option but to take care of her. As a proof of Gyun-Woo getting her attention is that, she scold at the youngster who wears pink. She thinks he is special and no one else should wear the same color for the one she thinks special. This point can verified again in the park which the guy who smokes and wear the same blue-colored sweater. She knows she is beautiful and clothing matter a lot for her or those she cares.

It is quite deceiving that most viewer will initially think that only Gyun-Woo is attracted by the girl and a normal boy chase girl story starts. But it's not. They both are attracted to each other at their first sight.

To call Gyun-Woo 'sweet heart' may come from her subconscious. It is so important to her to understand herself that she need to confirm with Gyun-Woo that she indeed think Gyun-Woo has so much resemblance with her exbf. So she phoned Gyun-Woo to come out for the 1st time. (Phone number probably obtained during their stay at the police station)

After Gyun-Woo left the girl on a bench, he forget the girl's handbag and he have to return it a few steps later. Later, he forget her handbag again in the rain. This time leads him to visit the girl's home for the first time. We can see that every detail is well layout, intentional in this movie.

First time I see the movie, I was distracted by my laughing, but now I know the reason why police rush up to the motel. The phone call is made by the girl's parent. That's one of the reasons why her parents' are not approved of him. And they know it's all lie when he try explaining why the motel's lighter is in his pocket.

(Is there any meaning for the kids to all suddenly gone when they are in the coffees shop? And why does the coffee come so late?) (Why does the girl slap Gyun-Woo so often? Is there any meaning behind?)

The Girl always tries to be different. She doesn't like people dress alike; she doesn't like those people ordering the same golbangee (beef stew) in the restaurant.

Why are they using the same motel room the second night? On the first night the innkeeper says there no room left from 1st to 3rd floor, so on the second night the same thing happened coincidentally; all other rooms are occupied.

Do your recognize in her first script Gyun-Woo asks why don't they kiss at the end? He is actually talking about why they do not kiss in this movie. Then the girl (director) says that this script (movie) is not a melodrama. (Then, how come this movie is a action movie?)

Also, the first script prophesize the girl saving Gyun-Woo in the playground later.

For the second script, I will talk about that later.

The reason why she pushes Gyun-Woo into the water is she wants Gyun-Woo in the water too. She wants Gyun-Woo in some way connected to her exbf too. Her exbf drowned, implied when the girl staring at a pier with the ex-bf's mother later. Assuming that she don't know whether Gyun-Woo can swim or not, the girl is confident that she can rescue him OR she hope this boy will not just leave her, by a simple drowning accident. The story did not tell how her ex-bf drowned, whether the girl is present or not. But if the girl was at the scene at the accident, that means she have learnt lifegaurding after he died (which I biasedly assume). Nevertheless, the girl found peace of mind/satisfaction that she knows if she is together with any boy, the boy will not be drowned. She wants to try and confirm that with this boy.

In the playground's 'Ghost House', the girl say the pain one suffered from being dumped will be gone quicker than one can imagine. But it looks like it is contrary to her own behavior. So, why she said that? Actually the girl is not just grieving for the death of her exbf at this stage. She is also guilty, angry with herself on not loving her ex-bf as much any more. Or at least, she is struggling with try keep loving him or kicks him out of her mind/present life. Rationally, she knows this is the thing to do, to face it, to leave away from the ghost of his exbf. However, she is not as 'special' as she would like, that she still long for him, since she is attracted to Gyun-Woo the first time they met.

The soldier claimed the guardhouse sergeant looks like Gyun-Woo. Who else look like Gyun-Woo? He should be the ex-bf. The director maybe even hinting that he is not that good to the Girl, although the girl never know this. Well, I may be stretching that a bit here, but considered so many detail in this movie have an explanation, I won't be surprised if this is what the director meant.

When the girl is saving Gyun-Woo under gunpoint, she cried. She is actually talking to herself this time. She think that her dead ex-bf want her to live well. She says if she needs to learn what love is, she need to live well. To live well, love is essential, but this is what a dead man cannot give her. This is her struggle.

At the end of the playground scene Gyun-Woo say what had happened is as if what he have planned. He intends to understand the girl better at her birthday. At this stage all he know is the girl is devastated from a breakup, but not much else. Under such a stressful circumstances, the answer she give on how she view about her pain, view of good life/love must be authentic. It's something hard to achieve by a normal date on this girl. Although the means is not what he expected, the ends is. And the last slap on his face is always good. It means she cares.

Part 2 *****

Gyun-Woo noticed somehow notice the girl in the restaurant. Then Gyun-Woo goes back alone and asks around about this picture because Gyun-Woo will not ask that when the girl is around. Gyun-Woo want to understand her pain, try solving it. The girl bring Gyun-Woo there a lot. By now, Gyun-Woo is really a replacement for his exbf, and he knows. He tries to be nice and smile. And Gyun-Woo said that she pretends to be happy every time (in this restaurant), because he knows she has lots of memory/history with her exbf in this restaurant. And she comes back with him often.

Not too sure why the bad guy in the 3rd script is called Gyun-Woo, and why she have to kill him? If the director really meant the bad guy = her exbf (because they are look-alike and the director don't want to give a name to her exbf), it means the girl try forget him. And interestingly the girl comes from future, so the director may think she can only forget him some time in future?

After the script, she says 'Someday, I'll meet someone from the future'. Actually, it means 'Today, she meet someone (important to her= Gyun-Woo) that will be suitable for her in the future'. Then Gyun-Woo says, 'if you do, ask him to take you; if it's possible!' Gyun-Woo is urging her to let himself to take her! Gyun-Woo looks very serious at this moment. This is not a joke of 'You, sassy girl, let someone come from a UFO/future kidnap you!'

After the 3rd script, they always ride subway together, play squash, phone each other every night, and wait for Gyun-Woo at school etc. The girl really starts to love him, ever since Gyun-Woo chase her on high heel. The longer he runs, the longer she loves him. She remains jubilant that night. Even in the rain, she is even nice enough to him, to run back home for an umbrella. Each day, she likes Gyun-Woo more and more.

Their parent controls her too much. (Party) because she love them too, she refrain herself from seeing Gyun-Woo/have to dealt directly with her parents about this. So, Gyun-Woo doesn't have any news from her for a long time until their 100th day when their parent give her pressure.

In the taxi, Gyun-Woo wonders if she still needs him as her exbf's replacement. He tries to heal her pain, but he thinks the irony is that once the pain is gone, she no longer needs him. He is well aware that the 'action'/'power' is always initiated from her. But just for this moment, it does not matter; he enjoys every moment with her. He ask the taxi driver to let them stay together longer.

Maybe what Gyun-Woo think is correct, she doesn't need him anymore. That's why once her parent again pressured her this time; they don't meet each other for such a long time that Gyun-Woo think they are over. So it's not too surprising for Gyun-Woo to go to a blind date.

The condom and blind date joke is really funny, though gross.

This time, the girl has a blind date. She definitely is not the one who arrange it, her controlling parents do. She call Gyun-Woo for help, Gyun-Woo is her 'friend'. She has to call and give Gyun-Woo a chance here, since this time her blind date is quite nice.

Ah... the 10 rules are very moving. Gyun-Woo must be very sad when he left the restaurant. He gives up on her. He is giving his final blessing to them.

The girl finally realizes that she did not recognize how deep he loves her. He deserve much more than a replacement or 'friend'. Everything she did want Gyun-Woo do for her is simply the way she try to find her exbf in Gyun-Woo. Gyun-Woo is not necessary Gyun-Woo in her mind at those important moments. She thought she just enjoy reliving it. But after the 10 rules, she can no longer deny Gyun-Woo is the one who makes her happy, not the ghosts of her exbf.

Before they try kissing, Gyun-Woo said they are on a crossroad since she had always regarded Gyun-Woo as painkiller. But now she knows that she feel guilty for him and it's time for her to take action, to accept Gyun-Woo as 'another' important person in her life. Gyun-Woo has already done all he can at this stage.

But for the Girl to look at Gyun-Woo is painful. He reminds her of his ex-bf, every time. They look and seem to act alike. She has to completely remove her ex-bf (first love, I believe)'s image before she can really love Gyun-Woo. But she feels guilty to try removing her exbf from her mind, at the same time.

When Gyun-Woo is writing the letter, saying he want to be serious with her. But even though he doesn't know exactly what she's thinking, he is sensitive enough to think this letter is for their split up.

At the mountain, she express that her ex-bf is still very well within her. She hopes she is different, she hope she have the will to overcome, but no, she is still helpless. She cannot avoid thinking of her ex-bf when seeing Gyun-Woo. She is sorry, for that.

They have to split; Gyun-Woo's presence is too disturbing for her to forget. She gives herself 2 years. She goes away for Gyun-Woo. Gyun-Woo tries to grow up and his life in these 2 years just devoted to her; he even tried and succeeds fulfilling her dream. No more blind dates, he is committed.

The way they pile up the stones (and how Gyun-Woo remove it), one-by-one instead of bushing them away is quite a display sensitiveness

Overtime ***** It's quite too late to explain clearly the drowning of her exbf now. It makes lots of audience miss why her grievance is so deep. And may not understand some finer points of the movie.

Now we know why the girl ask about the handkerchief when Gyun-Woo is with the girl was crying at the 2nd restaurant. A handkerchief has a very special meaning for her. This was how her exbf meet her.

She says 'While I was dating you, I met his mother OFTEN, she wanted to introduce a nice men to me, BUT I couldn't' Simply means she is still love her exbf very much at that time. Also, it's quite funny that she thinks her exbf wants to introduce Gyun-Woo to her, when Gyun-Woo is hanging out with her.

She wants to put this letter into a time capsule because it is too cruel so tell Gyun-Woo all this right away. And she does believe she will overcome her mental barrier in 2 year. However she cannot. It takes her 3 years.

What the old man says to her is important; he makes her know that Gyun-Woo is still very much in love with her. Time means nothing to him, just for her (NB. This is what the theme song about)

The girl called Gyun-Woo's phone but the number has been changed. She cried. Wondered if they ever met again, when she is ready for him now, after 3 years. Not too sure if they'd ever meet by chance again. Then she smiled. But why she smiles? Maybe she has just remembered how Gyun-Woo pretended the voice message long time ago? Or have her just lost hope and grin bitterly? The tiny touches let audience imagines, and could as well be the ending at this point.

Can they meet by chance? Very often fate only give you 1 chance. Once you lose it, you lose it. Gyun-Woo must be very upset when he misses her this time in the subway.

Maybe due to coincidence, they finally met each other at her exbf's mom's lunch.

Then she said, 'I think I met a man from the future, from your (Gyun-Woo)'s future.' Do you recall all 1st and 3d script tells a story of girl coming from future helps Gyun-Woo or everyone else? But this time, she meant instead of the girl coming from future, it is the boy coming from future that saves her.

The best part of the movie is that it can be viewed from many angles. Many subplots.. ---------------------------------------

The Platform plot: ------------------ After the 10 rules, Gyun-Woo stands on the verge of subway platform (as seen on the surveillance camera). Is he trying to feel her pain of the breakup that she experienced with her exbf when she stood there? Was she really trying to kill herself at that time? He wants to understand this feeling. Or simply just want to remember how they first met. Then, He must be really happily running when he hear her voice form the broadcast.

At the end of movie, when she stands on the platform edge again, we only saw her feet. But what's really on her mind? Is she expecting Gyun-Woo will pull her back again this time? Now they have lost contact, will coincidence let them meet again? Or is she simply enjoying the thought of how they first meet? Nevertheless the subway come, she has to reluctantly drag her feet back, behind the yellow line.

The edge of the platform is a crossroad of their fate. This is the place she is going to suicide, where they met, where they miss each other, where travel together and getting to like each other etc.

The Science Fiction Plot: ------------------ At the girl's third script, she mentioned explicitly the science fiction Plot of this movie, UFO = time machine. Then she prophesize Gyun-Woo will like to travel back in time, the old-aged Gyun-Woo. She said 'people from the future could be here now'

Why don't they travel together? Did the girl left Gyun-Woo/died before the invention of time machine? Well, this is a story not being told. However, it is hinted that it's quite likely that the girl go back and make fun of him with the toad in the time capsule. How about the head hitting squash? Another naughty joke from future?

In her letter in the time capsule, she feels that Gyun-Woo 'live in the future' and she 'live in the past'

From the look of the old man under the tree, do you think he is expecting her to visit the tree? Don't you think it's quite rude for him to stare at her? Yet the old man's answer is honest enough, because she is beautiful. The old man always says that because he is the old Gyun-Woo. And of course he read the letters.

What is his secret of the tree? Gyun-Woo cannot really replace a tree. But with the help of the old Gyun-Woo, he can. This is a secret because the old Gyun-Woo only wants to share this between him and her! No one else! He say 'Fate is building a bridge of chance for someone you love' because he is help building this bridge for themselves.

When she lookup after reading Gyun-Woo's letter, a UFO passes by; even with sound effect.

The old Gyun-Woo was there inside the train when they met.

At the end, she said 'I think I met a man from the future, from your (Gyun-Woo)'s future'. This is literally what has happened.

The Girl's second script ------------------ For the 2nd time I see this movie, I cannot fully grasp this script. But now I can. Actually the girl is committing suicide when they first met. She know she get drunk easily, it easier to do it that way. She wants to die at the 1st year anniversary of her exbf's death. This is why in her 2nd script the 'unlucky' boy should be buried alive, which simply meant lovers should better die together. Do you think that the girl looks more like a ghost than a drunken woman at the platform? It's quite a drastic look for lead actress in movie that supposed to be a comedy (at least at the beginning). The vomit after that is very good. It makes the audience forget her awful look, or forget to wonder if she is commiting suicide. But isn't that quite crazy for anyone to vomit onto someone. We all know that she is drunk but is still quite aware of her action. But naturally, she doesn't really care since she planned to kill herself anyway! The girl is not as sassy as most people perceived. But she's pretty unruly anyway.

When dating with Gyun-Woo, she always has to struggle with her guilt to her exbf, since her exbf have done nothing wrong to her. He have no choice, he have to leave her. For her, to accept a person that is in many ways resembles her exbf as another individual, is a especially difficult task. Her life can be much easier if she choose that nice guy at her blind date (or any other guy); but she knows Gyun Woo is her right choice however difficult this choice is.

The Theme of the story is: Fate vs. Coincidence ------------------ Tons of coincidence happened here: Gyun-Woo is a look-alike, know the exbf's mother, is that coincidence? How coincidence is that the one girl you pick randomly on the street is the Girl? The birthday of the Girl and the soldier is the same; Blind date at the same night; the handkerchief, which is the first favor of both her ex-bf and Gyun-Woo give, is greenish; they both first met in subway; they have meet all of the 5 twins, without them recognizing....

At the end of movie, Gyun-Woo asked, 'Is that coincidence?' This is the question the director is asking the audience what is fate and what is pure coincidence. Director's view of Fate is it happens only when one build/desire of it. He demonstrate that by putting lots of coincidence in the movie, while let both characters work hard for/build up their good ending, which many people will regard that as fate.

Examples of building chances: The old Gyun-Woo is help building his own fate under the tree by voicing the young Gyun-Woo's effort. And during the 3 years separation they are building a bridge for each other on their own, by making themselves available for each other. If the girl still cannot get out of her exbf's entangle, there is no point of meeting again. And now Gyn-Woo seems to find a direction of his life on writing script.

Lastly, have her exbf also bridge a bridge for the one he loved? Gyun-Woo and the girl met on the 1st year of his death anivesary. And the girl actually thinks her exbf want to introduce Gyun-Woo to her. Maybe a supernatural plot is included here too! ;) Have her exbf arranged their final meeting by his mom etc? Even Gyun-Woo does not considered himself look like his cousin (but the girl, her ex-bf, his mom does)

By the director's definition, it is their fate to be together eventually.

The film is a heartwarming blend of physical comedy and straight melodrama.

Author: Spife Knockturn (unplugandplay@yahoo.com) from Philippines
5 November 2004

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

...taken from a reaction paper I wrote for Social Science Class..

My Sassy Girl is a 2001 film by Korean director Kwak Jae Yong, formerly known for the straight melodramas he directed. It was based on the novel with the same title, compiled from the journals posted on the Internet by Kim Ho Seok about his relationship with a girl. The film catapulted its lead actress Jeon Ji Hyun and its lead actor Cha Tae Hyun into superstardom. It spawned viewers' interest in romantic comedies, although it was never recognized in the west.

My Sassy Girl starts out with Gyeon-Woo, a naïve but eccentric 25 year-old college student who doesn't have a clear direction in life. He narrates how his parents raised him like a girl, and how his parents' constantly telling him he was smart caused him to become lazy. His life then becomes intertwined with that of a bizarre girl whom he meets at the subway. She was drunk and wasted when he first saw her, and before passing out at the subway she calls him 'honey'. He was then forced to take responsibility for her, and that night he carried the wasted girl on her back all the way to a nearby motel. Hilarity ensues in the following scenes, as Gyeon-Woo and the girl share funny moments together, such as hitting each other on the subway, playing squash (the ball always hitting Gyeon-Woo squarely in the face), dancing in the disco with their high school uniforms on, and exchanging shoes (the girl wears sneakers while Gyeon-Woo wears heels).

The early parts of the film showcase the girl's bizarre attitude. The girl can be seen arguing with strangers, writing synopses of action movies, passing out after drinking three glasses of beer, and hitting Gyeon-Woo all the time, telling him 'wanna die?' and using him to get her way. Gyeon-Woo, on the other hand, succumbs to all the girl's whims and does everything for her. The first half of the film is filled with pure physical comedy and witty, hilarious sequences.

What sets this movie apart from others is how the second half of the film, which consists of pure melodrama, is connected to the first half. The second half explains the girl's bizarre attitude and unfolds all the drama behind the girl's comedic behavior in the first half. Gyeon-Woo battles a conflict with himself and finds it hard to let the girl go after 'healing her sorrow'. The latter scenes in the film are so dramatic that it 'turns grown men into crybabies' (quoted from the International Movie Database). Jeon Ji-Hyun's acting versatility added to the second half's strong impact on the viewers. A very ingeniously written script turns the laughing audience into a crying one in a short span of time.

However sad the second half of the film may be, the 'overtime' part of the film wonderfully concludes all the comedy and drama that unfolded in the preceding two parts. Gyeon-woo and the girl go along with the sad fate that befell them, continuing their own lives. The ending (which I will not reveal, for I recommend that people watch it) could be considered as one of the greatest ones in the history of film-making. It left no questions unanswered, and it concluded all the subtle hints that the earlier parts gave. It left me, and other members of the audience, laughing in tears.

The uncut version of the film lasts 137 minutes (2 hours and 17 minutes), quite long for a romantic comedy. But it was so craftily and carefully written that one would not notice time ticking by. Every scene in the film gives the viewers something to laugh, cry, or think about. There was no dead air in the story.

The cinematography of the film was excellent, for it captured every scene perfectly, also showcasing the beautiful environment of Korea along the way. The soundtrack very much added to the emotion of the film's most significant sequences. George Winston's rendition of 'Pachelbel's Canon in D' invokes a very romantic and joyous feeling that is indeed felt in the scene where Gyeon-Woo gives the girl a rose during her class (at an all-girls school) while she was playing the piano. Shin Seung Hoon's 'I Believe', the movie's main theme, served its function well as the tear-inducer in the most dramatic parts of the film. After watching the movie, only hearing the song brings me to the edge of tears as I remember the saddest parts of the film.

Jeon Ji-Hyun's acting in the film was very superior. She does very well in portraying the unnamed girl (yes, the girl's name was never mentioned) in the movie. Her very strong charm and acting versatility (she laughs, threatens Gyeon-Woo, and cries in one scene) makes the film very appealing, even to grown men who grew up watching action movies. Her performance in this film shoved her into the limelight and made girls want to be like her and made boys want to be with her.

Cha Tae Hyun did justice to the role of Gyeon-Woo. Just looking at him makes you laugh, and his being punched, slapped and manipulated by the girl is one of the big factors in the film's success as a comedy. His performance in the film made him one of Korea's 'most wanted dates', according to a survey on Korean girls.

Some of the very notable characteristics that I found in the film were: 1.) It had no kissing scenes; 2.) The girl's name was never mentioned, although she played the biggest part in the film, and 3.) There were no 'I love you' lines in the entirety of the film.

After watching the uncut version of the film, I saw tears in the eyes of most people in the audience. I could most probably say the movie has been successful in moving its viewers.

Jeon Ji Hyun won the 2002 Grand Bell Best Actress Award for her performance in this film. Cha Tae Hyun won Best New Actor at the 2002 Korean Oscars for his performance in this film. My Sassy Girl was number one at the box office for six straight weeks in Korea and sold over 20,000 tickets per day in Hong Kong at the time of its release in 2001. It was the second highest grosser of that year (accumulating more box office loot than SHREK, HARRY POTTER or LORD OF THE RINGS). It was the Best Asian Film at the 22nd Annual Hong Kong Film Awards. Just this year, Dreamworks (an American film company) has been planning for a Hollywood remake of this film. How great could this film get? My Sassy Girl is a film close to my heart. It is not only a lighthearted comedy that delves into the culture and behavior of Asian teenagers. This movie shows that there are so many different ways of expressing your love without saying 'I love you'. It is a movie that proves 'fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love'.

Funny Stuff!

Author: MusicalAnime from USA
9 September 2004

I saw this movie with my girlfriend. I don't think we stopped laughing at it for a bit. I think this is one of the funniest movies ever. Everything from it made me feel happy. This has about the most well defined characters you'll ever see on film that are true to how they really are. I enjoyed this film so much. The girl was really cute, and she was mean and she was sweet. The guy wanted a girl and all he ever really found was this girl who was actually a guy. Then the movie got really sad. I couldn't believe why the girl was so sad, but that part made me cry. It ended up being a quest on trying to find out what true love is. Letting go is a really hard thing, but letting go of something else you've found when you find out how dear that really is to you can mean the entire world in the end. I love this movie... :)

Fun, Jovial and best of all, True to romance

Author: Aditya (adityasinghal@gmail.com) from ATLANTA
28 March 2005

This is one of those movies that makes you think about it for hours after you have seen it(whether the first or the fifth time). The reason being that it is funny, witty and enthralling while still maintaining the charisma of a great Korean romantic movie.

You will undoubtedly hate Ji-Hyun Jun for the better half of the film but by the end, she will be one of the most enchanting woman you ever saw (Besides Audrey Hepburn off-course). Tae-Hyun Cha plays the role of a difident sort nice guy but with good acting and sound expressions.

Overall, I would give this a 10/10. Don't forget to read the book though, its a lot funnier and accurate.

My first Korean movie

Author: knuman from Taipei, Taiwan
8 September 2002

Saw this movie with absolutely zero expectations...was almost asleep and watched it at a friend's place to pass the time. To my surprise, while it is not the best movie, it is definitely one of my favorites of the year and one of my favorite comedies of all time. I hope I get a chance to see it again because apparently there are a lot of little subtle things in it that you don't see the first or maybe even the second time around.

I think some people get too caught up in the fact that the movie lacks realism, but I think that's what makes it all the wackier and funnier. I usually have a very low regard for Asian comedies, but this one was certainly worth watching. Absolutely hilarious but maintaining a touching side to it. The characters and situations are so interesting and absorbing that you tend to forget that you are being manipulated by all the sappiness.

Worth watching it

Author: petya_kirova from Bulgaria
29 March 2005

I watched this film by mistake - I simply didn't ender the right saloon, but I don't sorry for that at all. Why you should watch it?

- it surely is different from the other films that you've watched lately

- the actors are young and they love playing, not like the spoiled Hollywood "wunderkinds"

- it's funny

- it's realistic /with real emotions and problems of the young people - no matter whether they are in Asia, Europe, or America/

- at least for this short time, you can feel something of the culture. I am sure, that you won't find the time for watching the movie lost and won't regret it, like I didn't.

Best comedy-romance ever

Author: satilla from Istanbul, Turkey
31 October 2005

I haven't seen such movie stıry is excellent director put up a great job and both lead actor and actress is perfect.This movie is a theatrical feast.The actor played his role like he is playing his life actress (really pretty girl) played like she was born to act this role.The story?Its perfect its the first time have seen lots of people laughing and crying at the same time.You may think these things cannot happen then watch it and experience a new kind of feeling. After i watch this movie i reconciled with my ex-girlfriend.This movie left great effect on me and many people i know i think you should have this movie on DVD and keep it, watch it whenever you feel like divorcing or breaking up.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]