IMDb > Recon (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Recon More at IMDbPro »

Bladerunner revisited or Peter Gabriel in Recon

Author: Hurricane Smith from Nowhere
28 September 2006

This is an underrated student film that is worth watching at least once. It is well made with obviously good production values. The performances by Charles Durning and Elizabeth Pená are decent but the real interest would be, artist Peter Gabriel in the mysterious lead role. The film does build up towards an ending that many will find unsatisfying but that doesn't mean it is bad though judging by the rating many have. The story is not much to talk about and isn't the film's strong point but that doesn't seem to have been the filmmaker's intention. Instead it seems that Breck Eisner knew that he wasn't much of a screen writer and instead gave everything he had in the practical and visual department for his futuristic vision. The visuals, especially the effects and camera work is very good and the music creates an atmosphere that suits the films dark theme. It's not original and following Peter Gabriel's downbeat detective into a near future might remind you of Blade Runner but only to a fairly low degree. Peter Gabriel suits as the shadowy figure that not unlike Harrison Ford's lead character finds out something he didn't expect. The movie seems almost to be intended as an introduction to a longer film that never happened. If one doesn't expect something that it isn't it is worthwhile. I was very surprised when I saw it because I had never even heard that Peter Gabriel had appeared in a movie. So I didn't feel cheated when it ended because it had more in common with some of the past's narrative-driven music videos then short films. The interactive approach was involving and using it in the beginning of the 90's connected it to the computer and interactive gaming experience that was about to happen. In the end this is your chance to see Peter Gabriel in a future noir and it will always fall short if you're looking for something else.

Short on story but long on good visuals

Author: Chemical_Dali from Australia
27 February 2010

I have to agree with the other commentary writer you mentioned that the leadup to this was great but the ending left a little to be desired. High productions values and attention to detail abound, but the lesson that the good short story or film is only as good as its climax was somehow ignored. It just goes to show how important the script is to proceedings. As a Masters Film it was only average. I expected better from the director of Sahara, a good fun satisfying movie. But it is worth the watch for the visuals and the good sound design (which admittedly at times grated on the senses - less is more).

Horrible even for a student film

Author: CheshireCatsGrin from 2 hours north of Los Angeles
13 June 2006

Being a Peter Gabriel fan I decided to see this short film. It reminds me of a horrible Atom.com movie. Claimed as a student film with industry favors pulled, I wonder if they were the same favors pulled for Breck Eisners horrible Sahara.

I saw more talent in the 1926 Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoon drawn in pen and ink on paper than this film.

Thank goodness Cantor decided against releasing the film on his website (as wired reported) or he may never have been accepted for the job that gave him the Oscar nod.

This reminds me why they call student films student films.