IMDb > Bug Off! (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bug Off! More at IMDbPro »

This was awesome!!!

Author: movieking2003 from AZ
9 August 2003

This is a great movie about a girl who has a little brother who annoys her and he turns into a bug. Its so much fun and I loved it. I like movies about stuff like this, and this one was great. I saw it on cable and want to get a copy for my library,

A Very funny film for kids!

Author: teuthis (Teuthis@knology.net) from Columbus, Georgia
17 May 2002

This is an excellent family film that was made specifically to be funny to children 10 or under. And it works. The the exaggerated characters and dialogue, the silly situations, sight gags and the adults stereotyped from a child's perspective, are all elements that will make kids howl. I laughed all the way through, but then I never grew up anyway. This is one that kids, and the truly young at heart will really love. It even has a nice, family message about caring and getting along. And don't worry about the alien vocabulary. It will wear off eventually. See it with someone young.

Awful!!!!!!!!!

Author: sketchy (j6524@hotmail.com) from pembroke, massachusetts.
1 April 2003

Truly awful kid-flick about a little girl who must help her younger brother after he transforms into a insect by a alien posing as a baby-sitter. Horrible movie won't even make kids laugh, but is still fun to watch, only because of how many moments of unintentional hilarity there are, and how poor the production values and how terrible acting the is.

My kids loved it!

Author: triwin77
10 May 2002

'My kids thought this movie was hilarious. They are seven and five. I watched it with them and I have seen so much worse. Hey, I didn't even run screaming from the room. I will even tape it for them. I have seen movies for adults that were waaay wworse than this. This is a kids only movie. Kids under the age of 10 will find it funny and amusing. My son says 10 hands up and my daughter says it was great. Your kids will walk away with interesting alien words that you will hear over and over. But it is all fun.'

An Adorable Underrated Film!

Author: Clare Gundersen from Nashville, Tennessee
2 January 2017

This film deserves so much more attention! It is very adorable with an interesting storyline! However, to make my review more clear, I will break down the story for you. The story revolves around a nine year old girl named Krista and her seven year old brother Tyler. The pair were originally friends, but Tyler enjoys teasing his sister, and one day, it goes too far. Tyler humiliates Krista in front of a boy she likes and Krista flips out on him, claiming that she hates him. However, soon after both of the parents get calls that require them both to travel, so they hire a nanny. However, the nanny is actually an alien sent to Earth in disguise. She spends some time babysitting the kids, until one time after Tyler teases Krista again, she says that she wishes that he would turn into a bug. The nanny makes their wish come true and Tyler turns into a beetle. However, the other alien that traveled along with the kid's nanny witnesses this and plans to capture Tyler. He chases the kid's nanny away, leaving the kids to fend for themselves. Along the way, the kids get into various adventures, all while being chased by the second alien. However, about halfway into the film, Krista finds out that the beetle that Tyler has turned into only lives for two days in adult form, so she doesn't have much time to turn him back into a kid. However, near the end of the film, the two day time span is up and Tyler dies. Krista mourns over her brother's death, however, the nanny returns and changes Tyler back into a kid. She leaves and the kids return to their normal life, ending the film on a positive note. So overall, I think it was excellent. Although the film seems low budget and indie, that doesn't technically make it not a good one. I found it to be a perfect family film! The special effects are good, the actors are pretty good, despite the main cast being children, the script is clever ad well written, and the story itself was great. The only bad thing about this movie is that I wish that it was longer. I believe that there was still story to tell. So yes, I recommend this as a family flick, especially families with children who loves bugs or fantasy. Overall, I give this film a 10/10.

Here's a feast for maggots!

Author: RaspberryLucozade from Wallyford, East Lothian, Scotland
5 April 2016

This has got to be one of the most mind numbing and tediously unfunny films of all time and in my view is an insult to the intelligence of a child. How any child in 2001 would find this horrid film funny is beyond my comprehension.

It is all about a young girl named Krista and her irritating brother Tyler, both of whom are constantly at loggerheads. Whilst being watched by an extraterrestrial nanny named Mrs. Picklenickle, Krista says that she wishes her brother would turn into an insect, a wish which is duly granted.

Feeling remorseful, Krista makes various attempts to get her brother transformed back into a human form, whilst all the time trying to avoid another alien named Yendor, who is setting out to abduct Tyler. That's about it.

The plot is inane, the script is badly constructed and the cast, who include Briana Shipley, Steve Anderson, Andrew Fugate and Gabrielle Woods among many others, cannot act to save their lives. Shame on the film's creators for inflicting this embarrassing tripe onto poor, defenceless, innocent children.

Avoid at all costs!