IMDb > "McLeod's Daughters" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"McLeod's Daughters"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"McLeod's Daughters" More at IMDbPro »

Fantastic Aussie Drama!

Author: tequilatamm from Sydney, Australia
3 July 2002

I grew up in North America and have been living in Sydney, Australia for 8 years.

Far too much Australian TV is imported from the U.S., but this series is a prime example of why Australia should make (and export for that matter) its own shows.

This is the finest Aussie Drama to come out of Australia since the TV mini teledrama Fire! which was around perhaps 6 or 7 years ago when I was first in the country.

The story lines are not ridiculous as they can sometimes be in US dramas, and the characters are profiled in-depth...you feel as though they are real people....and real Aussie country people at that.

In my opinion, this series should be marketed to the US to show REAL Aussie country life instead of that stupid fake crocodile hunter stuff!

Bravo for the makers of McLeod's Daughters. I give it a 10 and recommend it as prime viewing to everyone! I only hope they start making more as good as this, here in Oz!

Addicting :)

Author: gaby_schaap from Netherlands
16 December 2005

I'm watching McLeod's Daughters since the first broadcasting here in Holland. That was in October of this year. Since then, I haven't missed a single episode!

It's very realistic drama. Sometimes a bit too obvious, but that makes it fun to watch.

It's on TV every workday here in Holland, so it's my dinner series, and since I live alone, it's great 'company'.

I can really recommend everyone to watch it. Not only for the characters (how I will miss Claire...) but also the beautiful landscapes and the intriguing story lines.

Don't miss it!

Quality Australian Drama

Author: seachange_3227 from Melbourne, Australia
5 November 2004

McLeod's Daughters has been the most successful Australian television series over the last few years, and it's not hard to see why. In an age where television is dominated by crime series and reality television, 'McLeod's' offers its viewers an hour of escapism television.

The result is a warm, stylish, quality Australian drama, filled with heart and humour, and with the perfect combination of lovable characters and picturesque scenery.

Originally revolving around sisters Tess and Claire, and their property 'Drovers Run', this show has grown to increasingly encompass the lives of those around them, without losing any of its initial charm that attracted viewers to the show. Even after the loss of major characters from the series, the show still continues to go from strength to strength.

Overall, the most refreshing aspect of the show remains the portrayal of its leading ladies as smart, self-sufficient survivors – a credit to the shows writers, and series creator Posie Graeme-Evans.

Always well worth the look, 'McLeod's' is a superb hour of television you will not regret tuning in to.

McLoed's Daughters Is Unique & Wonderfully Done

Author: hmlnkfam from Florida USA
10 November 2005

Thanks to the WE television network, Americans have been able to fall in love with this well made and unique dramatic television series. The relationship that grows between the step sisters Tess and Claire after their father dies is realistic and wonderful to watch.

Then there's the addition of Becky the neighborhood "bad girl" who comes from a truly horrible home and is raped by her employer, a "respected" shop owner... She escapes to Dovers Run and works beside the sisters, Meg the house keeper, cook, and friend of Claire, and Meg's flighty spoiled daughter Jodi.

I actually found some parts of this series extremely difficult to watch because it portrays life on a ranch so realistically... cattle dieing from disease or poisoning. Sheep bought cheap because they are so skinny and bedraggled many die along the road when they are forced to walk back to the ranch after the livestock truck breaks down, and the most heart wrenching, their fathers horse is diagnosed with a cancer mass that is causing the animal a great deal of pain... Claire takes him back to where she found him standing beside her father who had died of a massive heart attack. You see her crying and pointing a rifle at the horses head, she says she is sorry, and... well you get the picture...

I had to watch Series 1 twice before I could get passed the realism and enjoy the interweaving of personalities both male and female.

Now that hasn't been hard to watch... There are some gorgeous men to look at on this show! Nor has it been hard to watch these 5 women become a team who do what they were told could not be done... successfully keep the ranch solvent and eventually profitable.

I hope you get to see this nearly perfect television series. It is not a waste of time... indeed it's quite the opposite. Now if they will just release the series on DVD in the US, I'll be in Auz heaven!

Wonderful!

Author: heavenly_heart_1 from Jönköping, Sweden
26 November 2004

This is the story of two daughters that together with some other woman drives a farm in Gungellan, Australia. I think this drama is a wonderful production!! It is one of the best I've seen! The story is realistic and fun. And it's even great to see that women can drive a farm.

You can see yourself in the characters, it's not like a typical soap where people do mad things every now and then. The nature is beautiful, as usual, in the scenes. Every set has an on theme, so you won't know what will happen in the next program. I think the best program were when Claire gave birth to little Charlotte.

You have to see it to know why:)

Filmed in the best state - South Australia!

Author: MsMovie from United States
13 January 2002

McLeod's Daughters is the story of a group of sister's running a cattle station, supposedly 400 km's from the neareast large city in South Australia, Adelaide.

It is a typical Australian drama - not big on spending, but real quality when it comes to storylines. These people could be anybody that you know, so you can identify with them and understand exactly where they are coming from.

The filming location is actually on a property owned by the TV station (Channel Nine), called Kingsford, and is only just outside of Gawler in South Australia - so that makes it a real home away from home for the cast and crew, as they are only just outside the beautiful city of Adelaide. (Dubbed the City of Churches, Adelaide has a whole lot more to do than just visit churches - well worth a visit, see it on the Jacob's Creek Tour Down Under bicycle race every January!)

The series is returning to Australian screens in February 2002, and will no doubt continue filming for at least another season or two, but anyway, if you like this Aussie show, look out for Blue Heelers (a country cop show) probably airing on daytime TV or Showtime real soon.

Mcleods Daughters recent story lines.

Author: jode p (ponkey_56) from Victoria, Australia
25 June 2006

As an avid viewer and borderline obsessed freak of Mcleods from the beginning I definitely love the show! At first my friend introduced me to the show and it became our favorite show, she has every episode taped and believe me she protects them with her life, but in the last few seasons the show has become less about the Drover's Girls running a cattle station than a few love triangles/ pentagons. Although i still love McLeod's they (Writters) have gone off the track a little. After the deaths of some characters, and the everlasting on/off relationships between too many characters we were becoming less and less happy with where the show was headed. But in recent episodes the writers have given back the familiar themes with a bit of excitement. I think that we are finally seeing the original Mcleods in its glory, and I'm liking what i see.

Wonderful

Author: bks13-1 from Germany
9 May 2006

McLeod's Daughters is a great TV series.

From the first time I watch each episode. It is without horror and unmotivated nonsense. It's just good entertainment of friendship, love, adventure, just good living.

I regret the end of Claire's figure. I found her a very refreshing female character.

The male characters in this series (Alex an Nick) are very nice and you do not search any longer for an Adonis. You found it!!

I hope this series will go on for a long time so that I can see what happens with Tess, Charlotte etc.

A brutally good TV series.

Great Show

Author: wtraweek from United States
28 March 2006

My wife and I got hooked on this series last summer (2005) while in Colorado. It is the type you can watch and enjoy without a lot of vulgarity and cursing. Although we have only watched the show for a year and I guess they have all been re-runs since we only saw the episode where Claire is killed last Saturday ( Mar 25 ). As both of us grew up in rural Texas the show sort of has a soft spot with us. I can imagine the difficulty of women running such a large operation as this without much support from the male population. We are just sorry that Claire had to be written out. She will be missed I am sure, not only by fans but by the show's cast as well. Keep up the good work and please let us know what network will show it after the WE stops. Wayne & Joann

End of 2002 season - a little disappointing.

Author: wombat_1 from Sydney, Australia
1 December 2002

As most of the other reviewers said, this show started as an enjoyable B-grade show about women running a farm in beautiful South Oz. 2002 started at a cracking pace, with what I thought was a good combination of action, scenery (as in mountains, outdoors, etc), intrigue, and relationships / romance.

But the latter episodes were a little disappointing as the series moved in what I thought was the wrong direction. The "romance" became a little sleazy and overwhelmed every thing else. Whilst it never degenerated into "Sex and the City goes Bush", I feel that it lost some of the initial charm. But hope springs eternal, and we look forward to season 2003.