"Play for Today" Just Another Saturday (1975)

« Prev | 106 of 307 Episodes | Next »

Great stuff

Author: gilso68 from United Kingdom
5 November 2006

This has got to be one of the best done Scottish dramas of all time, Its the story of a young lad who likes the idea of being the big man bigot but when it comes to the crunch he just becomes appalled by it all, He loves the music & the dancing but its the booze & the fighting that gets him down, Some of the acting is a joy to watch (just listen to Billy Connelly's joke about the woman who kills her husband !!) The only problem is that the program shows all that is bad with Glasgow & the west of Scotland, The sad fact is that although this drama was filmed in 1975 the Protestant/Catholic divide is as bad as ever & i don't think it will ever get better.

Another TV classic from my youth

Author: Gordon Derry from Falkirk, Scotland
15 April 2006

I haven't seen this in many many moons but I'd give my eye teeth for another viewing! What I remember most about this production is the scene in which the Orangeman beckons the old guy to his window then punches him through the glass! I remember being shocked and repulsed as a child watching that scene. In retrospect, perhaps that's a good thing! I certainly don't support those tactics as an adult! Could this be why? Another scene that comes to mind is the one in which Jon Morrison discovers that the projectile he's been hit with is, well... something more likely to be found on the sole of your shoe than on your shoulder! All in all, excellent viewing, and the sequel was just as good if I recall correctly!