IMDb > G (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

G More at IMDbPro »

Nothing can touch Fitzgerald

Author: Heather Henderson (UrbanFilmCritic) from United States
28 October 2005

Like this review, G could never capture the eloquence of F. Scott Fitzgerald. What made this movie good was the skeleton provided by Fitzgerald, what made this movie bad was the adaptation. This film had its share of corn. What the first half of the century called "melodrama" we call corny. So that is due to no fault of the producer or the screenwriter. At the same time, the timelessness of the story is what will capture the attention of the audience. On some level we all love a little melodrama. Those who have read the novel will enjoy finding the urban parallels. I was even motivated to read the book again after the screening.

The enigmatic Gatsby found a counterpart in Summer G without as much mystery. Richard T. Jones is very good at playing the strong silent type. Chenoa Maxwell's Sky Hightower captured the desperate innocence of the classic's Daisy. And Blair Underwood's Chip Hightower was a Tom like no other. There was a little unnecessary comic relief and a few extra characters all building to a crescendo and an almost operatic ending.

It's difficult to adapt classic novels. This is not the first attempt for The Great Gatsby. Robert Redford and Mia Farrow attempted in 1974. I found that version very boring. So in comparison G was much better but the corn factor was a little extra. All in all much more good than bad.

Waste of Time. (Spoilers ahead)

Author: msreeta-1 from United States
7 November 2005

I had high hopes for this movie. Basic premise is, Girl dates struggling artist/entrepreneur in college. Girl dumps artist/entrepreneur for new rich guy who sweeps her off her feet with time and gifts. Girl runs of and marries rich guy. Years later, Artist/Entrepreneur becomes rich and famous. Girl artist/entrepreneur meet again. Old feelings still there, what will happened next?? Nothing to original about it, but still could make for an interesting story. Despite my high hopes, and, as one user commented, it's not a good sign when it takes 3 years to get a movie out there.

My first complaint is that first 2 minutes basically give away the ending of the movie! It wasn't that difficult for me to figure out what would happen once I saw the opening sequence. I was hoping not to be right, and looking for a surprise ending, or a twist. Sadly, I got neither. It was just as predictable as I feared. Yeah, the actual shooter could be seen as a twist, but I saw that coming as the movie went on too.

I was not impressed with Chenoa Maxwell's role or acting ability at all. She basically comes off as a money hungry ditz, who is only interested in men that will spend money on her, or bow to her every demand

My advice, Save your money. It's interesting to see typical good guy Underwood play a semi-abusive womanizing jerk, but you hate his wife so much you can't be mad at him. And Richard T Jones was decent, but I would have liked to see a little more depth to him than some lovesick puppet willing to do everything for this woman who betrayed his trust in the past.

Not Maxwell's best work

Author: istlota from United States
7 April 2006

Cherot's earlier film, "Hav Plenty", was one of my favorite movies. The chemistry between Cherot and Maxwell's characters in "Hav Plenty" was magical, albeit also disturbing in some ways. Hav (Maxwell's character) was a self-admitted freak and you find yourself asking why can't D. Money look past her breath-taking physical beauty and see the darkness within? But, this review is about Cherot's later movie, "G". It was a big disappointment. I rented it from Blockbuster immediately after noticing Chenoa Maxwell starred in it. I didn't even notice that it was another Cherot movie until after I watched it ... twice. The significance of that fact is that I was thinking "G" suffered from not having Cherot as the director, then I found out this was a Cherot film. Uh-oh.

This movie has two problems. One is the weak script. The entire premise is 100% unbelievable. Rappers in the Hamptons? Come on. Maybe, this could have been pulled off as a comedy, but as drama the premise is ill-conceived.

This movie has so much potential. Blair Underwood nails his character, as always. And, Richard T. Jones manages to tone down his obvious comedic skills and delivers a leading man whose charisma is all the more impressive when you realize he convinces us that Sky (Maxwell's character) should be with him instead of the brother every sister in the world would love to wake up next to, Blair Underwood. Pay attention to the second scene in which we see Summer G. (Jones' character). You sense everything you need to know about Summer G. before he evens says a word. Jones' acting is that deep in this movie. It is, by far, his best work I have seen to date.

Problem number two is Chenoa Maxwell. Chenoa Maxwell is one of the finest sisters on the planet. That, in itself, is enough to convince most men, and more women than you might think, to see this movie. But, she, apparently, is an actress who needs quite a bit of help from her director. She was so fascinating in "Hav Plenty". But, in "G" she appears, well, amateurish. And, I say that as a fan who sincerely wants to see her do well. I couldn't help being drawn to her character in the episodes she played in "Girlfriends". She played opposite Golden Brooks, another sister with drop dead gorgeous looks. Yet, when the two had a scene together, I found myself drawn to Maxwell's character. But, "G" is the worst work I have seen yet from Maxwell.

I always saw Chenoa Maxwell playing a role. I never saw Sky, the character Chenoa was supposed to be portraying. Chenoa doesn't look comfortable with this role. In her love scene with Jones, he is buck naked, oblivious to the rest of the world, only into Sky. But, Sky isn't there. Instead, there is Chenoa, more concerned about what body parts not to show than of losing herself in G.s embrace. I can respect a sister deciding not to show her body on camera. But, a sister with those sort of values should not have accepted this role.

I think , when it comes to love scenes, the actors have to put all personal inhibitions aside and immerse themselves in their characters. It it then up to the director to tastefully edit out shots which are not flattering. If you don't trust your director to do that, you can not give your character your whole heart and soul. Halle Berry had to do this in "Monster's Ball". In her infamous love scene with Billy Bob Thornton's character, Halle is nowhere to be found. At that moment, the only woman in the room is Leticia Musgrove. Yes, it annoys me that White Folks picked that particular story to come up, finally, with another best actress award for a sister. But, Chenoa could learn a lot from Halle's work in "Monster's Ball". Think back to the last scene of "Monster's Ball", when Halle's character told us so much without ever saying one word. Now, that was the level of talent we needed to see from my girl Chenoa.

Chenoa, please, sister woman, at some point, if you intend to take this acting thing to the next level, you have to be willing to move further from Chenoa and closer to the character you are playing. Embrace her, take chances, even chances that you personally might be a little uncomfortable with. I, for one, know you have it in you.

But, if your personal value system is not compatible with the whole Hollywood acting scene, to the point where you decide being Chenoa is more important than being an actress, I ain't mad at cha. I have no doubt you could be a success at anything else you put your head to. But, whatever you choose to do, do it with all your mind, heart, soul, and body.

Istlota

Austin Movie Show review (ridiculous and racist)

Author: leilapostgrad from Austin, TX
30 October 2005

You can tell a lot about a movie by its release date… or in this case, it's release YEAR. G was made in 2002, and we're finally seeing it in limited release at the end of 2005. There's a reason why studios and theaters weren't rushing to release this one. How can I describe G? It's Boyz 'N The Hood, but this time the Hood is the Hamptons. This is not The Great Gatsby that F. Scott Fitzgerald had in mind when he wrote the classic novel. However, it's certainly an original idea for movie ("There just weren't enough rap moguls in the 1920s version"), but G is by no means a good movie in any way.

The black stereotypes are horrific! Four up-and-coming rappers are driving around the Hamptons complaining that they can't find Newports, 40s, or McDonalds anywhere! Yes, I laughed, but I laughed at how horrible those lines were! Don't see this movie, it's just ridiculous. The acting is as pathetic as the script. No wait, there's one great line in G: "If you ever touch my sister again, I'll stab you in the dick with a plastic spoon!" There, now you know the funniest line. Now there really is no reason to see it.

Yall are way too hard on this movie

Author: meldevonne from brasil
13 April 2009

No, it didn't have great fx, no it didn't run on BET after 106 and Park, yes it was an indy film. But I got it. It was different , Cool, smart, and hip. Chenoa Maxwell is breath taking. I don't get all the hard reviews. I loved it and want it on DVD for my collection. I think the director is a little different kinda kat. I liked Have Plenty, and this film G was "on it" all you critics need to watch it again...I got it...maybe you critics went to a bad public school where the Great Gastby wasn't required reading to graduate. Richard T Jones was good in this too, and I like Blair Underwood as a villain. This was ome good stuff. Im tired of gangster, rapper, hip hop laced art...we have too much of it and we need to see some different images of black culture.

The Hip-hop Great Gatsby

Author: Clayton Moore from Omaha, NE
14 September 2005

G, The Hip-hop Great Gatsby opened the Kansas Film Festival and I got a ticket. I'm not at all a fan of Hip-hop (although Hustle and Flow was terrific!). Regardless "G" is great! Keep in mind the question the Journalist (narriator) asks everyone, "Does Hip-hop have heart?". He finally gets an answer with the last line of the movie. Richard T. Jones was mesmerizing as a "Puffy" Rap Mougel slumming in the Hamptons. If your definition of evil is selfishness carried to its logical conclusion then Blair Underwood played a true monster. Great acting job since he is such a sweet person. The movie is a bit uneven in some of the pacing and the reason why the female lead, Sky does what she does is puzzling but an extremely good-looking cast and a great soundtrack make this a movie to watch for. Writer-director Christopher Scott Cherot was at the film and gave a 30 minute Q&A on what he went through to raise the money and get the film made is so good that I hope he will repeat it on the DVD. You can tell when a studio has over-processed a film more than Spam and this is Cherot's film from star to finish. Even if you don't like Hip-Hop see it.

this movie sucks

Author: sweet_cynnamon1 from United States
30 October 2005

I saw the movie "G" last night 10/29/05 and I feel like we paid $7.50 too much. This movie should have been at the A$1.00 movie. It reminded me of an independent movie with bad actors and a thin watered down plot. Maybe the writers and producers just got out of film school...I don't know. This movie had a slow start and I thought that it was going to get a little interesting in the middle and then it had a weird ending. Everybody in the movie theater were complaining. Lots of things didn't make sense. It seemed like it had the potential to be good but it just wasn't happening. The characters seemed so unreal. The ending was something that I didn't understand- there were a lot of loose strings that needed to be tied together. I expected a lot better from Blair Underwood. He was the reason I really wanted to see the movie in the first place. We should have gone to see "SAW 2" like we originally intended in the beginning.

A brilliant modern day reconstruction of The Great Gatsby!

Author: Brittany from USA
20 November 2002

Andrew Lauren Productions rocks the screen with this sexy and sophisticated interpretation of the American Classic, The Great Gatsby. The cast is simply superb, while jammin' rap seated next to a sultry film noir saxophone elevate the film above its blasé contenders. This new form of Bourgeois Hip Hop embodies familiar issues of love, betrayal, and jealously, giving universal> thematic understanding and sympathy for the characters. And who better to portray the elegant complexity of Gatsby than Richard T. Jones. All in all, `G' presents a sort of filmic intelligence never before investigated, executing racial and socioeconomic devices that purge the Hamptons of it's white-bread communal exclusivity. If you thought Lizzie Grubman caused a stir, check out `G'!

Happiness is God's Orgasm?

Author: Sherazade from United States
21 June 2006

what a weird line! But anyway, this film looked like was Saturday afternoon BET melodrama with a good budget. The acting was so bad that you would need to be a die-hard fan of at least one of the cast members in order to get through it. In my case, Blair Underwood did it for me. Even though his character is the most vile, evil, manipulative, and ultimately unlikeable person in the entire film, he still manages to give an awesome performance and show what acting is all about. I wish I could say the same for Richard T. Jones who looked so stiff and uncomfortable in the role of Summer G, a record label executive who has it all, except for his one true love. And the one that got away happens to now be married to Underwood's character, Chip Hightower. Chenoa Maxwell (whom I like to refer to as Halle Berry on steroids) walks through her role as Sky Hightower with such ease but sometimes overdoes the more dramatic scenes. Andrew Royo, who plays her cousin Tre steals almost every scene he's in, except for the ones with Underwood. The film in the child of Ralph Lauren's son, Andrew, who also doubles as a cast member named Adam Gordon, Summer G's publicist. I am told the film was inspired by the Hollywood classic, The Great Gatsby. Hopefully, the classic was better than this fluff!

A stylish effort...

Author: probitionate from United Kingdom
29 September 2005

...but no cigar.

I go into all films with the highest of hopes...and the lowest of expectations. (For the record, I see about 200 films per year. At my own expense. I'm a screenwriter and this is part of my ongoing education.) Most times, I'm disappointed. (However, I've had three great film experiences in the past two weeks and I'm expecting to see two of the year's best over the next three days.)

'G' was a disappointment. I'm not going to go into particulars of plot and spoil it for anyone, but what I will say is that if there's any 'connection' between this film and the world of hip-hop, it's a reliance on style. That is, 'bombastic' gets the job done. Now, before anyone accuses me of dissin' hip-hop, I'm not. I wouldn't claim to know enough about the music to have a credible opinion. But certainly the music videos, the marketing, the press, the 'lifestyle' implies that -it would be easy to believe- having the bling does the thing. (Yes, I know the music transcends the attitude.) Here, basic storytelling precepts were thrown out the window and a reliance was placed on the arena of hip-hop with the parties and the cars and the jewellery. There was so little going on in this film...and when something did go on, it was either convoluted, lacking proper motivation, or was completely out of perspective.

For the record, the acting was fine. The production values were great. But the script... Yes, there were a couple of funny moments. But there was nothing to either grab onto, or to grab you. The story was not engaging at all. The characters -though all very, very beautiful and handsome- didn't pique your curiosity. You knew where everything was going to end up. And the screenwriter/director should be reminded of the fact that what people say doesn't define their personalities. What they *do* tells us who and what they're like. There was way too much posturing in this film; fine for hip-hop videos, where most everything these days seems to be a parody of itself, but not for a motion picture. The rules are completely different. What this film needed was more exploration of who the characters were, where they'd been and what really was at stake with the decisions that ended up being made, because in the end, it was 'a tempest in a teapot'. A 24 carat gold one, of course.

I'm sad that so much effort went into this production and so little passion ended up on the screen. I'm especially sad that this wasn't a better vehicle for Richard T Jones, someone that I think has a lot more potential than Jamie Foxx or Will Smith.

Oh, well. Onto the next film, eh?