IMDb > "Trailer Park Boys" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Knock Knock...F%@k Off.

Author: thor4923 from Canada
7 October 2006

While I respect the opinions of those who criticized the show (not surprisingly the comments rated "least useful"), it appears that their views are so concrete that they just don't get it.

This brilliant series is not intended to reflect the "reality" of trailer park life in Nova Scotia, but is instead a wonderful artistic compilation of many extreme, bizarre, and mundane experiences that are interesting on an entertaining and (feigned) voyeuristic basis. There are operas, soap operas, space operas, and now "park operas".

Consider how difficult it must be to act improv style not only on the set, but to act "in character" during all media interviews and public engagements, as is the expectation. Not many actors would have the commitment or stamina to carry this through for the benefit of the production image. Mike Smith, who plays the character Bubbles, apparently can only wear the thick glasses for 15 minutes at a time without extreme fatigue.

Let's consider the acting quality and skill. Would Deniro or Pacino make this a better series? No! The charm is in the rough edges, the improv, the humility, and the belief that these are low rung thugs. It is totally believable and a credit to the acting and direction.

How is Canada or Nova Scotia being insulted if we recognize that this series is a parody and that we should not take it so seriously. According to the on-line polls I have viewed for TPB of the episodes to date, the average rating has been 9 out of 10. Most of those voting were from Canada followed by participants from the US, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. We should be proud that we have had an impact on others, especially on those outside of our country.

If given a chance, you will see how the brilliance shines through the layers of carefully placed sh#@. It is meant to look amateurish!

understated brilliance, continuing the great Canadian comedy tradition

Author: vincent-27 from guelph, canada
6 August 2004

Like most people when I first saw this show I thought it was just another mindless low budget comedy series aimed at the dim-witted pot smokers among us. Then I watched it more and became mesmerized by the underlying brilliance, everything was not as it seemed, from the beautifully languid intro music, to the ingenious documentary style of filming. Much like SCTV, it uses the low budget quality of the show, and turns that into a bonus. THe shaky hand-held camera, the occasional boom mic shot all blend perfectly with the mostly improvised dialogue. There's something uniquely Canadian about this, making the best out of the fewest resources, and it demonstrates the greatness of the show that it does not need huge production values to make you laugh your ass off. And laugh you will as you watch the main characters, Ricky, Julian and Bubbles stumble their way through life. We have all met people like this, much like in the movie "Fubar", people who are completely ignorant and emotionally underdeveloped, yet very much content with their position in life. Both Fubar and TPB, the key is not to make fun of these people in a condescending way, look equally at their naive stupidity but also at their loyalty and innocence and genuineness.

The 80's had SCTV, the 90's Kids in the Hall, for Canada, the 00's belong to the Trailer Park boys.

This is FRUCKING hilarious.

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
26 April 2004

I've seen this show only a few times and it is absolutely hilarious. The first time I saw it I was insulted, but after seeing it because i couldn't pick up anything else on the tv, I really enjoyed it.

I would like to see more spin offs from a show like this. This is Melrose Place or 90210 on Welfare and it freakingly hilarious.

The cast is very classic characters. The dialogue is cheesey and trite, but it all fits in perfectly.

The entire production is cheap, but made to be purposely done that way...and it comes off great. There are few comedies that are not Hollywood formula and this is one.

I can only state that for Canadian programming, this is far better than any "road To Avonlea" type programming.

Lately Canadian television series have become very edgy and have defined characters with unique definition...and it's about time.

It's time that comedy has gotten away from the "FRIENDS" and "FRASIER" type lame ass comedy writing and became creative like this show.

I look for more series episodes and possibly a feature movie too.

I've had the opportunity to live in a trailer park for several months in Florida, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and British Columbia...I can easily relate to some of the characters that I have met in this series to real life people.

Fantastic view of a very unique position of life.

Awesome job.

Best Show Ever!

Author: Muscle-3 from Canada
14 September 2004

You either love this show or hate it. I don't know how you could possible hate it - it's full of site gags and great one-liners! I reiterate - I don't understand how someone could hate it.

In the show Jim Lahey has some of the best lines ever! "We're about to head into a sh** typhon Randy, you better haul in the sails before they get covered in sh**" -- Jim Lahey

The only thing that is unfortunate about this show is that they only produce 8 eps per season (except for Season 5 which has 10 episodes).

This show is better than sliced bread and I can watch the episodes over and over again!

People complain about Canadian shows sucking -- TPB was picked up in the US!! It must be worthwhile!

Keep up the great work TPB!

Zack

A Riot

Author: John Kube from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
17 June 2003

This show is THE funniest damn show ever produced in Canada. What a bunch of dumbasses these characters are! You must see this show. It is the funniest thing. Just a bunch of small town folks living in a trailer park trying to make it. Truly amazing!

Finally...

Author: Dave Ziola from Terrace, BC
2 July 2003

How many years did it take before a Canadian-made show came along that entertains as well as 'The Beachcombers' used to? Too many to count! Although vastly different shows, in essense, I would guess that 'Trailer Park Boys' is watched by most of the adults who used to watch the former as children.

You gotta love those Canadian & Atlantic accents... very comforting to hear amid the profanities and violence which are more over-the-top than anything on the tube today (and that says alot). The results are undeniably hilarious.

It grows on you

Author: wonderland_ahead from Halifax, Nova Scotia
21 January 2004

When I first left a review of this show I was fairly unimpressed with it. However, since then I've forced myself to watched the entire Seasons 1-3 and I have to say it: man, was I wrong.

It grows on you. If you can get over the bad acting and the political incorrectness you'll find one hell of a show. As another reviewer said it's not an accurate reflection of life in a Nova Scotia trailer park: more like if you took the weirdest members of every trailer park in NS and put them together to dumb it up.

Some of the funnier aspects I've found have been Ricky's constant mispronunciations (there are at least then in every episode), Mr Lahey's constant sh*t analogies, and, of course, Bubbles, who makes even the bad episodes worth watching.

If you give it a chance you won't have a single favourite episode; more like a collection of favorite moments pulled from each ep. Whether it's J-Roc's identity crisis ("I hate to admit it ... I'm white"), Bubbles' dragging a drunken Ricky home in the back of his go-cart, or the visit from the hysterically creepy Bible Pimp, there'll be at least something that makes you giggle whenever you think of it.

All that said, BBC America can look forward to a few letters of mixed reactions, and Comedy Central can start kicking themselves for not being the first to snatch it up.

Unique and hillarious.

Author: Coady MacNeil (coadymn@mail.com) from Nova Scotia, Canada
2 April 2003

The Trailer Park Boys is a unique and funny television series from Halifax. It is filmed almost like a documentary which features the stories of two friends who are in and out of jail. While trying to keep their drug business running they have to deal with the park supervisor. Bubbles, a friend of the two main characters will have your sides splitting. I highly recommend this show if you don't mind some vulgarity with your comedy. You've never seen anything like it.

Sheer Brilliance

Author: Ross Dixon from United Kingdom
19 July 2005

This mockumentary shows exactly what comedy is all about. Originality, great performances, continuously great story lines and of course the way this show is set out. Bubble's is one of the most likable characters you'll ever likely come across. Ricky is the drug dealer that for once every viewer is behind. He also has some great lines like 'Holy f**k those guys f**k up a lot' and 'Knock Knock...F**k Off.' And there also needs to be the smart one who works out all the boy's plans and you can't do any better than Julian. Jim Lahey (Trailer Park Supervisor) and his assistant Randy are the perfect duo for a show like this with the police having no respect for them and nobody in the park having little respect for them. The best thing about the character's are they're addictions. Lahey and Randy's alcohol, Julian's Rum and Coke, Ricky's cigarette's ("Lets go, smokes") and Bubble's Kitty Cats. The side-splitting climax to series 4 just recently aired on Paramount Comedy, but in the mean time I'm looking forward to series 5 getting brought to the UK. I'm trying to be patient but please hurry up and bring it out! I recommend to everyone a trip to Sunnyvale Trailer Park.

all hail TRAILER PARK BOYS!

Author: k_grant from burlington, ontario
4 July 2002

All hail TRAILER PARK BOYS, the funniest show on television. This show is an absolute must-watch. The plot of the show has already been summed-up by the other comments on the board, so I'll only say: WATCH THIS SHOW! It's hysterical. EVERYONE MUST WATCH 'TRAILER PARK BOYS'!!!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]