IMDb > "Jeremiah" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jeremiah"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jeremiah" More at IMDbPro »

Amazing Show...

Author: nochturne from United States
28 July 2002

This show is really quite well done; every episode seems to fly by and leave you anticipating the next. L Perry & MJ Warner are a superb duo in this exciting post-apocalyptic tale. The show is done in such a way that the aftermath of the "Big Death" (a disease that was fatal to all those past puberty) seems plausible, even if the Big Death does not. If you have not watched this show, I highly recommend giving it a shot. You will not likely be disappointed.

I really like it

Author: Scapercat from South Australia
4 November 2004

I saw the first episode of Jeremiah by accident. I was trying to fix my broken down VCR when Jeremiah started screening on TV. I stopped what I was doing to watch what was happening on the TV. I liked what I saw and sat back and watched the first episode. From that moment I was hooked.

I'm a big sci-fi fan and I had no idea that Jeremiah was even a sci-fi show. It's just by luck I caught it on TV that night. Here in South Australia they have only just started screening the first season but I'm glad to see Jeremiah has made it into a second season. I look forward to seeing the rest of the season. I'm not familiar with the original comic book series Jeremiah was supposed to be based on therefore I do compare it to the comic book series. I take it on it's own merits and what I see, I like, enjoy and hope to see more. A good and enjoyable show.

Glad to see Luke Perry has moved beyond Beverly Hills 90210 (a show I only saw once or twice and despised everything about it. I always viewed 90210 as something of a joke)I never liked Luke Perry when he was starring in 90210 but the fact I like him in Jeremiah is testament to his talent. Luke has done well and I enjoy Jeremiah, hope to see it go on for awhile yet.

Great Show!

Author: kazaadude2000 from Philippines
30 October 2005

The general theme gives the potential for a whole world of plot possibilities. The characters are very engaging, specially the buddy thing going with Jeremiah and Kurdy (Perry and Warner). Marcus, Mr. Smith, Lee, Erin ... all the characters were interesting. Even the extras, or the bad(?) guys. It's not just about surviving ... it's about moving on, hope, and building a future. Most of the time, it didn't come out too preachy, but JMS shows somehow tend to be that way.

Each season has an underlying plot that connects the episodes together, but each episode has it's own story. It has a powerhouse season ender for the 1st season, and a powerhouse opener for the 2nd season. I liked all the episodes, although the last episode of season 2 (of the series, in general) felt rushed, as the writers knew they had to end the season abruptly.

Acting was pretty good, but sometimes (not often), the dialog seems a bit corny, which makes it tough to act out with credibility, hehehe.

I was real disappointed that this wasn't renewed, while more shows with much less story to tell last pretty long. This is an excellent show that not enough people watched. If it somehow gets a 3rd season, I'd continue watching it. :)

Excellent Show

Author: smg-max from Germany
4 June 2006

I must admit that I like Sci-Fi, but what I don't like are fairy tale sci-fis (Star Wars) or Techy-Sci-Fi (Star Gate, Star Trek-Franchise). I rather enjoyed Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5 and Jeremiah (which is thought out by the very same Jay Michael Strazynski) has everything of a good classical drama: Action, structure and plot items (short per episode plots and longer plots over a whole season).

In the two seasons filmed (I think they cancelled the show afterwards and even the ending of Season two was rushed!), JMS has again shown his capability of handling TV series in theatrical fashions. We have the classical 3 tiered system of Exposition, Climax and Ending with the weapon showed in the Second Act (I am not going to reveal that one).

The show lacked financial support in the first season, but the second one showed what could have been possible. And I especially liked the focus on an anarchic world trying to find itself and the two major themes: the generational conflict between new and old in the first season and the exploring of fascism and totalitarianism in the second season.

Awesome Series!!!

Author: lilwolffy from United States
20 January 2009

I just saw the first season of Jeremiah and I was completely blown away. What an awesome series! This is going to be another "Firefly" cult-like classic. Because it was poorly marketed it didn't get the attention it deserved. I would love to see this series take off again! This would be very well received on the sci-fi channel or any other channel for that matter. It's a shame that it's 2009 and I'm just seeing this for the first time!!! How about a major motion picture?!!!!!!! Malcolm Jamal Warner and Luke Perry were phenomenal in this role together. You wouldn't believe the buzz it's getting amongst all my friends. BRING IT BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting concept

Author: Luis Montalvan from Paterson, NJ
4 March 2002

I'm not exactly an expert on Sci-Fi shows and Jeremiah would be one of a handful that I've watched, and although I'm normally turned off by anything that has to do with Sci-Fi I decided to give this new Showtime series a chance. I wasn't disappointed with Jeremiah's pilot episode at all, it had a promising start and will hopefully maintain its level of originality. Luke Perry & Malcolm Jamal Warner's chemistry seems a little iffy at first, but they work well together. Theo's character is certainly a refreshing villainess that I could see myself loving to hate and the actress does a wonderful job in portraying her. Hopefully the ratings will be sweeter to Showtime in this venture than they were with Leap Years, although this time around I think they've conjured up the right formula to see that happen.

I loved it.

Author: CybaGirl from Australia
26 August 2006

I loved this show and I basically lived to watch it every week. It was on rather late which was very frustrating. But what else is new when all the decent shows are on when everyone is suppose to be in bed.

I thought this show was really thought out well and at the end of each episode it left you hanging wanting more. I found myself watching the clock towards each episode and saying to myself. Please don't end now please don't end now. But alas it would end right when you did'nt want it to and you had to wait till next week to see the next episode.

I remember there was a time there where channel 7 actually had something in its place for two weeks. I was quite upset about this and even called them up saying get rid of that rubbish you have on in place of Jeremiah.

I really enjoyed but hate the way each episode would end and it reminded me so much of the days in which I use to watch Dallas. As Dallas was another series that would always end each episode with suspense.

I only wish there was more seasons to this show and I was really disappointed and sad to see it end after season two.

I cannot recommend this series enough and I highly enjoyed watching it. Now all I have to do is find the series on DVD.

Very well illustrated series

Author: Cascy Beddow from Vancouver, Canada
11 July 2002

There are very few programs on television that are allowed to cover gritty aspects of the world in such a detailed manner. For the team that puts together "Jerimiah" however, they have the opportunity to do so because they have given themselves a new world to base these realities out of. By carefully keeping the series ever-real, and not allowing cheap humour to overtake it like so many programs have, they leave themselves with quite a credible piece of work to their name.

Wonderful and unique show that was/is very unappreciated!

Author: jcoy1 from United States
2 July 2006

I was crushed when this show/series ended. I think the whole premise was unique and imaginative in the direction it took on the whole "Apocalypse" thing. I feel it was extremely realistic as well, they always included the answers to questions about "What about the blank" where "blank" can be anything from "old military assets", "values for things like gas/books/technologically informed people", etc. It's hard to put what I mean by that into words here, but I think, and hope, you get the gist of it. Basically it's realistic in handling the things that would be left around, things that wouldn't, and nothing appears or disappears magically for the sake of the show! Very thorough and inventive series that deserved more promotion and attention. Had the "Sci-Fi" network picked it up for example, I believe it would rival the "Stargate" franchise in popularity!

iTunes has released series 2 out... where is series 1?

Author: stormy_daze from St Andrews, Scotland
17 October 2008

Yet another Vancouver series set in Norad, Colorado Air Force Base. I've always wondered why Kurdy and Jeremiah never managed to find the Stargate out of there – there are so many tok'ra and jaffa everywhere. :P You'll recognise a lot of the same actors from both series if you're a fan of both.

I love post-apocalyptic stuff, Luke Perry in leather trousers, "wanderer" type characters, and Colorado, so this show was right up my alley.

Anyway, I loved this series, I thought it was great. I cannot, for the life of me, conceive why they would release the series 2 before (or in place of) series 1. The only thing I can come up with is that someone thought Sean Astin might improve the sales.

Well, I have a few things to say about this show, really just to warn you about 2 things: 1) This is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are two kinds of shows out there: shows you can pretty much walk in the middle of, having not seen the previous episodes (shows like Seinfeld, for example, rarely build on top of each episode) or even Stargate, (with the exception of a few episodes here and there that link back) and you can still enjoy and pretty much understand everything that is going on. There are other shows, like Battlestar Galactica, where if you come in having not seen all the episodes before it, you sit there scratching your head thinking "what—wait, what? Why is he… what? Who is this woman? When did this guy get—WHAT?" So Jeremiah series 1 is much more along the lines of the first kind of show – you can, for the majority, watch an episode out of series 1 and figure out what's going on because there aren't a lot of plot lines that connect. There are the major plot lines and characters, but they are easy enough to figure out if you didn't see the last episode.

Jeremiah series 2, however, is much more along the lines of the second kind of series – you really do have to watch each episode before seeing the next or there will be too many pieces missing and too much catching up. A lot of people hate this kind of a show, but I love it – I think it makes the show more interesting if you have longer story archs, but it makes it harder for you to see a random episode.

So my first suggestion for watching Jeremiah is really to watch series 1 if at all possible. Then, when you're ready to watch series 2, you will get much more out of it if you watch it in order.

2) There is a distinct "tinkering" visible from the studio and/or network for the second series. The dialog and plots take a direct dive in intelligence. There also seems to be a ridiculous attempt to make the show "happy." It's like some idiot who didn't understand the first series at all, and how the show is about finding hope in the worst of times came along and said, "This show is depressing. Make it happy." So there is an obvious attempt to prozac the show and try to make it more "happy" and "hopeful." Even the opening credits see a change. Instrumental music and "Dear Dad, it's been 15 years since the Big Death wiped out everyone over the age of innocence. The end of your world, the beginning of mine." Intelligent, succinct, simple. But series 2 went to "uplifting and happy" music and a dumbed-down version of "it's been 15 years since a strange disease killed off all the adults and left us kids to fend for ourselves. Now I'm moving ahead through the past." I know creator J. Michael Straczynski swore never to work with MGM under the current administration because of this show. The dumbing down and the prozac dose to the show confirms to me that someone must have been tampering with the show.

Now, all of this aside, this is a great series, one of my all time favourites. Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner have especially good chemistry – I love that they fight, that they scream and yell, but in the end, they're still as close as kin. Sean Astin makes a great addition to the cast. His character, Mr Smith, is always just a little outside the circle – which I love! Most of the time on a show when they bring in a new main character there is this attempt to prove to the audience that the new character fits in perfectly with everyone. I absolutely LOVE that Mr Smith is intentionally set just a little out of the circle – because the truth is he does NOT fit in perfectly with Kurdy and Jeremiah. And by making it part of the story that he doesn't fit in perfectly, they made him fit perfectly! I love this series; I've kept watching it all this time. I'm just hoping someone will make the 1st series available on iTunes as well.

Hope you enjoy the series! It really is a brilliant series.