IMDb > WWE WrestleMania X-8 (2002) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WWE WrestleMania X-8 (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Very playable- (Review of the X8 video game)

Author: Gary Ballance from Dublin, Ireland
3 December 2002

Obviously the No Mercy game for the N64 was a tough act to follow, but X8 is a competent follow-up nonetheless. There are good and bad points to the game:

GOOD POINTS-

Good amount of wrestlers including Rock, Austin, Triple H, Angle, Jericho, Taker, Kane and new characters like RVD, Booker T, Storm, Hurricane and the nWo to name a few. Characters like Benoit, Rhyno, Flair and Vince can also be unlocked.

Gameplay is fairly simple to pick up.

Some of the moves are fairly well executed and each wrestler has their own characteristic moves. What's good also is you can customise the moves list of the wrestlers.

Wrestlers look realistic and entrances are good, despite some theme songs being absent due to licensing issues or something.

The Hell in the Cell match is brilliant. Best yet for any console. Really well done

BAD POINTS-

The create-a-wrestler is far too basic. There are limited costume choices and the moves are just those in the game (unlike No Mercy which allowed you a huge selection of other moves and finishers). The CAW is just there, really, to allow you to create wrestlers that Jakks didn't have time to put in (Kidman, Saturn, HBK, Billy Gunn, Chuck Palumbo ,etc)

There's no real reward in winning a match- there's no ring bell after a pin and the opponents don't tap out to submission holds (like in No Mercy). It just comes up on the screen as "SUBMIT" which is pretty crap- if they could put in the realism of wrestler entrances, surely they could have added tapping out to make it more realistic.

No story mode.

Some of the finishers don't look great ( the Pedigree, for one, looked better in SD3).

No 'psychology'- in No Mercy you could work over a body part (leg/arm/neck) and your opponent would sell the injury, but there's none of that in X8, which makes it less rewarding again.

THE VERDICT- Not bad- by any means, but it should have incorporated the best qualities of No Mercy and added to them. Hopefully the follow up to this will be a slight improvement and rectify the bad points I mentioned above. X8 is very playable, but it could stand to improve.

An Average Wrestlemania

Author: bmccree1912 from United States
16 October 2005

Best match of the night was Rock vs. Hogan. High offensive moves traded, a crowd divided, and the torch is passed, rock wins. Triple H vs. Jericho Another good match but better one on one without Stephanie, Triple H wins undisputed title. Austin vs. Hall Austin proves he is the toughest S.O.B. again, Austin wins. Maven vs. goldust pointless in a way because the match ends in the parking garage but hardcore nevertheless Maven retains Hardcore title after pinning Christian. Jazz vs. Lita vs. Trish Stratus a match added just to fill the card, Jazz retains women's title. Edge vs. Booker T a fight for a shampoo endorsement, a great match, Edge wins. DDP vs. Christian good match, DDP retains European title. Kane vs. Angle Alright match but Angle was just looking for a fight and not revenge. Regal vs. Rob Van Dam great match and great start, Rob Van Dam Wins Intercontinental title. Tag title match good as well, Billy and Chuck retain. Buy this If your a wrestling fan or collecting Wrestlemania.

The best

Author: Princess_Padme_Danbarrie from Toronto, Canada
5 October 2002

65,000 Fans Screamed and cheered the roof off of Skydome in Toronto As the Rock defeated Hollywood Hulk Hogan. That was an amazing match to see two great Icons battle like that. There were moements of X8 I wish to re-live, and there are some that history will keep forever.

The Grand-daddy of them all

Author: toocool_33 from Canada!!!!!!!!!
6 July 2002

I was at Wrestlemania X8 so I firmly beleive that I know what happened that day. Now I had been to 2 or 3 house shows before this so I really didnt know what to expect. Sure the matches were poorly hyped and The Rock vs. Hogan was terribly hyped because the Rock was absent for most of the shows leading into Wrestlemania X8. I was happy to be able to see Chris Jericho wrestle in the main event but also sad in what could have easily have been THE match that whipped everyone into a frenzy was screwed from the start by the WWF(sorry WWE) writers who completly screwed up in that storyline as well as everyone elses. Everyone wrestled very well but if those story lines were better this could have been the WrestleMania to end all Wrestlemania's.

Greatest Wrestlemania of all Time

Author: (tonyestevens@yahoo.com)
5 April 2002

Wrestlemania x-8 was the greatest Wrestlemania of all Time. I was a little worried when all of the matches were announced but all of the matches were really good. The best match of the night was the Rock vs. Hogan. I believe that Hogan should have won the match that was to decide the greatest wrestler of all time but they did end the match on a good night. It was great to see Hulk Hogan wrestle again. He is my favorite wrestler of all time. Great Wrestlemania

Greatest Wrestlemania of all Time

Author: tonyestevens
19 March 2002

I was worried when they announced the matches but it did live true to be the Greatest Wrestlemania of all time because of the Rock vs. Hogan match. I believe Hogan should have won but they did end the match on a good note and I like how the quickly have made Hogan a face again because he is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time