IMDb > The Wash (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wash

The Wash More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Could've been a little better

Author: lildisser10 (madchild_10@hotmail.com) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
29 June 2004

I am a fan of rap music, the only type of music I listen to so I know Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg very well, I have seen their previous movies. Before watching the movie, I knew it was going to be a horrible one, but not as bad as expected.

The synopsis of the story is about two friends, Sean (Dr.Dre) and Dee Loc. Sean gets fired from his previous job and has no money and they also have a three day notice before they get evicted out of their house. With no job and desperation of money, Dee Loc insists that Sean comes to his work and try to get a job there, a car wash called "The Wash". The Wash is a type of place worked by dumb people who only steal from customers, smoke weed, chase girls, etc. As Sean goes there and takes opening assistant manager job from the owner of The Wash, Mr.Washington (George Wallace). At the same time, Mr.Washington is going through a hard time at The Wash getting threatening phone calls from a previous employee at The Wash who was recently fired, Chris (Eminem). The employees at The Wash cant believe Mr.Washington had fired Chris because they all knew Chris was crazy.

The plot of the story was kind of stupid, but the actors did what they could to not make it as horrible as it would've been, except Snoop Dogg. And didn't like his acting like in all of his other movies, because almost at least 50% of the time, hes always a gangsta sort of type of person and it doesent seem to work in the movie. But there are some upsides to the movie. It actually delivered some okay humour especially from a character named "Slim" (DJ Pooh). His jokes are idiotic but has to make you laugh. But there are other jokes in the movie that don't execute due to it being played out. There are a lot of cameos such as Ludacris, Kurupt, Eminem, Xzibit and Shaquille O'Neal.

After watching the movie I was at least pleased it wasn't that bad. The only thing for next time, don't make Snoop Dogg play the same role for a different movie again.

The laughs aren't really there, but the style is cool

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
19 November 2001

The Wash is like hip-hop eye candy- it looks cool and even tempting, but when you try and hear the jokes it registers that it's stupid a lot of the time. The Wash, from co-writer of Friday, also did 3 strikes which was interesting some of the time but not totally as funny as it should've been. Pooh's new film is like that, yet instead of being interesting it's hip and flashy.

Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre star here (not there first film together, the better film Training Day comes to mind) as two guys who usually have what most young urban professionals want- weed, hoes and uh, bling bling. But the money well has run dry and a 3 day notice has just been put up and in order for dre to pay his half of the rent he gets a job with the car wash Snoop Dogg works. He starts to realize Snoop at work is a complete slacker as tensions start to build between the two, but this changes when their boss (played mostly dead-pan by George Wallace) gets kidnapped.

Sometimes it's laugh out loud, other times it's so quiet in the theater after a bad joke you can actually hear crickets chirp. In other words, it's stupid, low brow fun with many cameos- Tommy Chong, Eminem, Shaquille O'Neil, Pauly Shore, Tiny Lester, writer/director Pooh as one of the kidnappers and a couple of minor characters from Friday and 3 strikes. Between B- and C+

On contrary to other people's view, I thought this was funny.

Author: DominqueZarinha (flygirl2070@hotmail.com) from Trinidad
13 July 2003

Now I know many people might not agree with me but then again, I don't give a s**t. This movie had me laughing at nearly every scene, especially Slim Shady who played this mentally deranged prank caller. I laughed so hard at everything. Some parts left me in wonder but whatever, I couldn't help but laugh. I liked it and honestly I would watch it again and again.

They Got Jokes, But Not A Movie

Author: gonzoriffic from athens, ga usa
14 November 2001

watching "the wash" is kind of an odd experience. you laugh, you like the characters, but you wonder what the plot is really supposed to be. the jokes are there, so "the wash" is definitely a funny movie. in that respect, i enjoyed it. it seems that when d.j. pooh co-wrote the classic "friday" with ice cube, he definitely knew how to create hilarious situations and funny roles. but when he's on his own ("3 strikes" was his previous solo effort), something doesn't quite come off right. my main problem with "the wash" is the VERY ABRUPT ending. everyone will be like, "okay...it's over". they don't even bother to really wrap things up. it's just BAM...credits. the ending is weak, it could have been better. they set it up like the end of "next friday", where a couple different antagonists are brought into one situation at the same time. but the audience doesn't get much of a payoff. as chris rock might put it, "the wash" will take your clothes off, but will not f*** you.

Underrated...

Author: Grits-N-Gravy from United States
29 November 2006

This is a good movie that is purely funny. It Stars Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre with George Wallace,Bruce Bruce,Tommy "Tiny" Lister and DJ Pooh. This is a very west coast movie. If you loved "Friday" then you will love The Wash. Good acting and funny script. And it's refreshing to see Snoop and Dre hating each other. I almost forgot that they are friends in real life. This movie is really underrated. All the comedians play their parts well and Eminem's character is hilarious. The soundtrack is also great. My only complaint is that the ending didn't have much closure. All in all The wash is a great Comedy that's laid back and filled with cameos by Ludicrous,Xzibit,Pierre,Kurupt,Shaq,Pauly Shore, and Tommy Chong.

unwashable

Author: starseedA from Baton Rouge, La
20 May 2002

There is an abundance of potential and talent in this movie. Dj Pooh can set up some serious comedic moments, but he fails to gel anything together for more than a few scenes.

Watching scene after scene, you wonder what the exact point of each sequence is. Sure you will chuckle, Snoop Dogg's one of a kind dialogue is really something that needs to be heard to be believed. Unfortunately, that nor anything else can redeem this movie. I feel worse after viewing it. Like i said, DJ Pooh has talent in that he can deliver great set ups (as seen in Friday). But when it comes to the punchline he recycles jokes we've all seen and umm heard before.

Hillarious!!

Author: OPMaster from Bowling Green KY
25 September 2002

This movie still makes me laugh every time I watch it on video! Snoop is at his comedic talkin the talk finest and Dre makes a great straight man. For some good giggles, check this one out. It's worth a rental.

rappers

Author: kai ringler from United States
12 July 2013

Dre, Snoop, Corrupt, and Eminem, what a lineup,, the wash was a pretty decent movie about a pair of guys who get hired at a Car Wash so they can make some legitimate dough. the brothers are hired, without the owner knowing that they were brothers, and one brother is put in charge of the other one,, he has to keep him on the straight and narrow, and at one point geth the other brother suspended from his job. later on the boss keeps getting death threat phone calls and is kidnapped from the car wash, the rest of the boys at the wash must team up and get their boss back from the maniac who has taken him,, special appearance by Emenim at the end was hilarious.

Speechless

Author: Heather Henderson (UrbanFilmCritic) from United States
31 July 2002

CONTAINS SPOILERS!! I must admit, I laughed twice in the 90 minutes I was in the theater. That breaks down to one laugh every 45 minutes. At $8.25 a ticket each laugh had a cost of about $4. Factor in that when I wasn't laughing I was insulted by the ridiculous storyline and I think you will agree that I paid too much for those two laughs.

The plot, (which I believe they wrote as they went along) was missing one very key element: LOGIC. It made absolutely no sense!! There were too many characters, the majority of whom contributed nothing to the story. There seemed to be no discrimination by the casting department as to who would make a cameo appearance in this film. Apparently, they didn't have to be funny, just willing. (C'mon Shaq, you had nothing better to do?)

Sean (Dr. Dre) was an unemployed loser who obtained an Assistant Manager position at Mr. Washington's (George Wallace) car wash where anarchy reigned. His least favorite employee, Dee Loc (Snoop Doggy Dogg) kept his own liberal work schedule, had sex on the job, sold drugs on the job, and stole from his employer. In addition to Dee Loc there was C-Money and L'il Dee who stole money out of cars, and of course we can't forget the token Hispanic and ex-con. At the beginning of the film, Snoop made the comment that the white man didn't care about the black man. As if the white man was the reason this group of losers existed.

So what's this movie about? That's what I asked myself up until the last 20 minutes of the movie. The owner of the carwash, (Wallace) is kidnapped by two bumbling criminals, one of whom Slim, (DJ Pooh) provided my second laugh. The kidnappers ask Sean to get the ransom money. That's when Dee Loc saves the day with a scheme worthy of Goldie the Mack himself.

Let's talk about the acting. In Snoop's case I'll call it reenacting, because he seems to play the same guy in every film. Ironically the same guy he plays in all of his interviews as well. I hate to quote Ice Cube but, `Yo Dre stick to producing.' An actor, you ain't. I think it is sad when the St. Ides spokesman (DJ Pooh) is the best character actor in a film.

I can't even recommend this as Blockbuster pick because $2.00 a laugh is still too much in my opinion.

Dre, the next time you want to make a film….don't.

Absolutely HORRIBLE and HUMORLESS. Don't waste any money on this!

Author: David krasnow (stargirlrk@yahoo.com) from Ann Arbor, MI
6 May 2003

One of the main reasons I saw this film is because I love Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg and this looked interesting. But it was anything BUT that. It had no humor at all. Basically, the whole film Dre was trying to get laid and Snoop was smoking weed all day at the car wash where he worked. Eminem is only in the film for one scene, where he comes out at the end with an AK-47 and shoots up his boss's car (who had fired him from the car wash where he worked). So the whole film they are in the car wash hanging out (nothing funny happens) and then two thugs kidnap their boss at the end, demanding $50,000 for his release. So of course, Dre and Snoop break into the kidnappers' house and rescue their boss, and Dr. Dre gets a major cash reward from his boss and finally pays his bills that he needed to pay. If you would like a stupid and not-funny-at-all movie about a bunch of retards hanging around a car wash and getting in fights and smoking pot, then by all means see this film. But if you are a normal person who likes Dre and Snoop and would like to see this just because they are in it, DO NOT!!! This is a complete waste of 2 hours of my time and I should storm up in the theater and demand my eight dollars back, even though I saw the film two years ago. HORRIBLE!!!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]