IMDb > Space Station 3D (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Space Station 3D

Space Station 3D More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Ferguson and Myers have done it again!!!

Author: Opie-7 from Charleston, SC
30 May 2002

The only thing that I didn't like about this movie was threading it through the projector. IMAX 3D movies require two prints, one for the left eye, and one for the right eye. So it takes us projectionists twice as long to get it ready.

But enough of that, the movie was very good for an IMAX 3D movie. The best parts are when the astronauts have a little fun while filming. For example (MAYBE A SPOILER!) : the astronauts are eating and some of the food is flying around and one of the astronauts takes an orange and pushes it towards the camera. Everytime I run that movie I watch the audience and I see them covering their eyes and trying to grab some of the objects floating around.

The movie was made by the same people who made "The Dream Is Alive" over 15 years ago. It is truly an amazing experience!

Okay, I'll Support the Space Program Now!

Author: Ralph Michael Stein (riglltesobxs@mailinator.com) from New York, N.Y.
6 May 2002

"Space Station," an IMAX 3-D film is a first-rate vehicle heralding the success of Lockheed Martin, NASA and the space industries and astronauts and cosmonauts of many nations. I'm not particularly interested in space exploration - we have enough challenges on terra firma - but this short film is awesome. Especially in 3-D.

I'd love to know how they maneuvered the notoriously bulky and complex IMAX cameras around the International Space Station. The film is at once intimate (isn't everything up there?) and yet broad in its grandeur.

If someone had been waiting outside the theater as we emerged with petitions demanding more money for the space program I would have added my signature.

This film is for everyone!

Futuroscope

Author: Haukur (paindexter@gmail.com) from Iceland
3 January 2005

I saw this movie on the biggest screen in Europe , in Futuroscope Park; France, this summer after seeing many things fun there but seeing this movie in a bubble of some sort, that was pretty much the highpoint of my day. At first i thought this was gonna be like them boring space movies but this one actually made sense and having Tom Cruise as the narrator was not a minus. This is a movie about how great space is and how lame earth is, Tom Cruise goes on and on about how you can move things more easily in space and how you need to be a genius to become an astronaut and basically how great space is...now i want to be an astronaut but my teacher says i don't have the grades...anyway great film for everybody 10/10

The Way Documentary Film-making Should Be (sort of)

Author: Michael Dowswell (michael_dowswell@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
26 March 2010

Incredible film...I can't recommend this one enough. But see it in high definition and sit close up to your TV. I was worried at the start of the film because there's a brief tiny bit of 3D stuff and I was starting to get uneasy in my chair about it because it ran for about three minutes I think...but once you get past that it doesn't go near 3D again and is simply amazing quality wise with real shots of what goes on inside (and outside) the space station. You get to see two launches in beautiful detail and sound. This film gains momentum at exactly the right pace.

This is very much like the five star documentaries I love from the late 70s / early 80s. It also reminds me of Kubrick (I think he would have loved this movie) My only criticism is that it's pretty dumbed down (simplified) and there is also no section on the space station toilet although we do get to see sleeping and eating. 2001 A Space Odyssey has a funny shot of the man looking at the toilet instructions and I think they could have included this in the movie (it would have been good) This is only my second ever IMAX film I've seen...the first one was called Everest and I saw that in the actual IMAX cinema...it was really amazing I remember....a experience everybody should have.

Spectacular!

Author: johnnyboyz from Hampshire, England
13 March 2006

It was the first time I'd visited an IMAX cinema and the first time I'd seen a film in 3D and all I can say is: 'Wow!' Despite being a documentary, it has a very filmic feel about it with us being introduced to various different astronauts, seeing space form inside a station and being narrated to by Tom Cruise whom you would often relate to when it comes to major films or 'blockbusters' if you like.

The opening shots were completely mind blowing. I don't know if this was just my first experience of the IMAX, but you are literally, transported into space. The opening four or five minutes is an interesting teaser that really leaves you begging for more external space shots, you long to be space walking for the rest of the film.

The brief interviews with the astronaut keep the pace of the documentary moving nicely and often, there are really impressive moments when you just feel like reaching out and grabbing whatever's on screen. This could be anything from a steel bar attached to the outside ship to a blob of water actually heading for the camera/your face. This is where the point of view style camera comes into play. It's cleverly shot so that although it's not always happening; other Astronaut glance at you momentarily, not spoiling the mood by looking directly at you and the interviews are spaced evenly which gives the feel you are up there, talking to people and finding out information every now and again at your own pace rather than having all this information thrown at you at once. Good stuff.

I'd highly recommend seeing this film, if only once as the sheer unbelievableness of it is something to behold. Even if it wasn't in 3D, it's still a pretty interesting documentary on what's actually going on up there and no, I'm not a 'science geek', in-fact the sci-fi genre is one of my least favourites. I just like a good blend of information, stunning visuals and a day out at an IMAX cinema.

Wow!

Author: AEBarschall from Tarrytown, NY
4 May 2002

I didn't even know that they had actually built this space station. I thought it was still in the planning stages. How did they manage to get all these huge pieces up in the upper atmosphere without it hitting the media in a big way? And all these international astronauts getting to go up! Here I thought I followed science news pretty well -- guess that shows me both a) that I don't and b) how the news media can get focused on a few big stories and black everything else out. I'm glad they made a movie about it so that we could find out.

You really could see what the space station looks like inside and out and what the earth looks like from space. It almost felt like being there, without the substantial disadvantage of having to go up there in a rocket and without getting motion sick and all. Plus you get to see a lot of different astronauts and the training areas.

Hearing Tom Cruise narrate was fun. His expressive voice really perked the thing up, so it wasn't ever in danger of being dry. I'm glad he's taking an interest in the space program. The space program could sure use his help.

I've never been to an IMAX before, so a lot of this was new to me.

The 3D goggles were kind of uncomfortable, but basically they worked pretty well, even over glasses -- though I did have some struggles with them, like when some of my hair got trapped down over my nose and trying to get the things over the clips in my hair that stick out. Maybe women with long hair should wear a bathing cap for this.

When things flew at you, it really did look like they were going to hit you.

Our theater let us go up and see the projection room afterwards, which was well worth the trip. It looks almost as complicated as the space station. The poor guy in there was running around after various reels of film like crazy.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]