IMDb > Space Station 3D (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Space Station 3D More at IMDbPro »

A Well done semi-documentary in space, excellent in 3D

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
1 May 2002

Trippy and near exquisite three dimensional (they give out goggles if you happen to see this in IMAX format which is the best format to view) look at actual footage of outside (in space) and inside the space shuttle orbiting the earth. The kids will really enjoy this one and for all the overall ehancement from the 3D makes this an insightful experience as well as a visual one. Some good music too. A-

like the moon: dry but cool

Author: morningkeith from Winnipeg, MB
3 January 2003

So you wanna spend umpteen million bucks and go visit the space station? Why not just spend eight bucks and go see this movie? That way you get the weightlessness without the nausea (unless you're sitting too close to the screen).

For people expecting an action picture, I think Space Station will seem slow and dry. But for science and astronomy geeks who want to see what's up there, this movie is pretty cool. After thirty minutes, planet earth seems foreign, and the space station seems familiar! It seems so narrow and long, like a school hallway lined with scientific equipment.

Tom Cruise was a good choice of narrator, because of, yeah, star appeal, but also because his voice telegraphs his childlike sense of wonder. To me, there was also a sense of danger, similar to the danger of being on a submarine. You're travelling through a truly hostile environment, and always just a thin shell away from disaster.

For the general public, I'd give it a seven. But for space geeks, it's atleast a nine. Now I can't wait for "Apollo 13" to come to Imax.

Incredible footage; whatta 3D experience!

Author: chschera from Providence, RI
22 April 2002

The first 3D space adventure from IMAX was worth the wait. This film chronicling the first stages of construction of Space Station Alpha from the launch of Zarya to the Expedition Two crew was incredible. The 3D effects during launch and while on orbit were spectacular. I highly recommend this IMAX experience for any true space lover.

A great documentary in a unique location, with excellent visuals

Author: Michael Moorhouse from Rotterdam, The Netherlands
23 September 2002

This film is billed as the closest most of us will ever come to being in space. Given the IMAX 3D technology (which works near perfectly 80% of the time) you do come pretty close.

The cinematography is brilliant and the 40 years experience of the IMAX film production really show - expect most of the filming is done by astronauts, which make it even more amazing. Filmed on location quite literally 'all over the world' (though identifiable parts are the Kennedy Space Center in the US, 'Star City' in the CIS and *somewhere* over West Africa), this is about an international film as you are going to get.

There are many totally unique sequences in this film: the opening one is a very good computer simulation of a space-walk mishap in which an astronaut becomes unattached from the Space Station. Later on they do this for real to test the emergency back-pack unit.

The sound is, as one would expect from IMAX, excellent. The sub-base adds amazing realism to the launch sequences and docking maneuvers - you can really feel the 'thumps.'

The scenery, especially of earth is breath-taking and very well framed. Also, there are some more human moments: such as the watering of onions that spouted in storage, the birthday party (was it? Or a crew change-over?) and the 'other' scene of stowing provisions (I'll not spoil the humor on this one) that could have probably only been filmed in free-fall by people actually living there.

This film exposes the contrast between the CIS & USA space programs: in the former, the equipment is chunky, reliable and functions at minus 20 C; in the later neat, tidy and delicate (the Shuttles seem to need a near perfect day to launch by comparison). Yet the two do indeed work very well together in orbit, as do the truly international crews: USA, Canadian, Russian, Italian and Japanese all work alongside each other on the missions and the filming. This 'one-ness' is stressed by both the editing and voice-overs given by the astronauts. It is perhaps un-surprising then that the odd environmental point is made about looking after the planet. As a film, this is short: under an hour. This is probably long enough: you can hold your breath only so many times before passing out. The minor detractor is Tom Cruise's narration: at times it is just a little too intense and grates after a while (though this is highly personal: I ignored it and looked at the pictures).

This film is great publicity for NASA and goes someway to silencing the neigh-sayers of the ISS / space exploration projects.

Wow!

Author: dpbsmith
16 September 2002

I'm sort of a fan of wide-screen processes and visual spectacle. And, lately, I've been disappointed. Up until "Space Station 3D," the two most spectacular visual experiences I've had in my life were "This Is Cinerama" (in the early fifties) and "2001: A Space Odyssey" (on its first run, in New York.)

I've seen "2001" several times since, hoping to capture the same thrill I did on its first run, but the visual spectacle was just not there in 35mm prints. Last year I saw a 70mm print of it at the Coolidge in Boston, and was very disappointed--I don't know what was wrong, but the focus was not good, and the deep, pitch-black, back-velvet sky I remembered in the original was washed out.

I've seen many IMAX films, many of them quite good--"Everest" being one of the best--but there is usually too much material in it that is just blown-up 35mm.

Oh, and I saw "Kiss Me, Kate" and "Miss Sadie Thompson" in lovingly restored 3D at a revival in Palo Alto, and while it was a blast, basically the 3D felt just as gimmicky as you'd expect.

OK. Space Station 3D is sharp, clear, all IMAX. The three-dimensional effect is totally convincing and natural. Like "2001," you can look AROUND at the things YOU are interested in instead of what the camera happens to be pointed at. I've never before had such a compelling sensation of "actually being there." Oddly enough, some of the most intense moments for me was not the scenes in space, but the scenes where astronauts and cosmonauts are simply walking around the Baikonur complex.

This film recaptured for me the sense of "being in space" that I had the first time I saw "2001."

This is just one sensational film and is well worth going out of your way to see. It delivers fully on the IMAX promise in every way.

(And I suggest that everyone make a point of seeing real IMAX while we can, as I have an uncomfortable feeling that IMAX is in the process of sinking into the mire of enhanced 35mm blowups).

I saw Cinerama in the early fifties, "2001" in the late sixties... I've had to wait over three decades to see something as spectacular. Go see it while you can. If 35 mm blowups and video "cinema" take over, it may be another three decades before we get anything like this again.

Very cool visuals!

Author: Shital from NJ, USA
31 May 2002

Absolutely stunning. You might have already seen other space movies but this one is awesome. Shoot by real astronauts in IMAX and in 3D - it next best thing to be there. Also contains little bit of history but with really cool videos. The things that I found missing is primarily it failed to show the purpose behind IIS, how many other countries are there in this, how long more it will take, what are the operating parts as of now... it just gets itself satisfied in showing zero-g life and visuals of Earth - may be for not to bore audience?

You are there

Author: Steve Segal from San Francisco Bay Area
19 May 2002

Finally here is a film worthy of the Imax 3D technology. It's a unique audio and visual experience. Amazing visuals, awesome scenes of weightlessness, spectacular blast-offs. I highly recommend this film for 3D fans and everyone else.

Must see!

Author: stephenhr from United States
3 October 2002

Narrated by Tom Cruise, this is a fine documentary on the building and flying of the space station. Long takes of zero gravity work. Coverage of the Russian launches. It is a well put together piece in I-Max in space come on!

Ferguson and Myers have done it again!!!

Author: Opie-7 from Charleston, SC
30 May 2002

The only thing that I didn't like about this movie was threading it through the projector. IMAX 3D movies require two prints, one for the left eye, and one for the right eye. So it takes us projectionists twice as long to get it ready.

But enough of that, the movie was very good for an IMAX 3D movie. The best parts are when the astronauts have a little fun while filming. For example (MAYBE A SPOILER!) : the astronauts are eating and some of the food is flying around and one of the astronauts takes an orange and pushes it towards the camera. Everytime I run that movie I watch the audience and I see them covering their eyes and trying to grab some of the objects floating around.

The movie was made by the same people who made "The Dream Is Alive" over 15 years ago. It is truly an amazing experience!

Truly Like Being in Space

Author: winstonsmith_84 from Oceania
30 August 2002

I saw this at the IMAX, and wow! What a trip! It is like I really went into space... The 3-D was done very well, and not overdone, just perfect. The content was really good, and much excellent footage. If you want to see an IMAX, do see this!