IMDb > The Tuxedo (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tuxedo

The Tuxedo More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not as funny as I expected

Author: squala
27 December 2003

Disappointingly, this film was a step down for both Jackie Chan and Jennifer-Love, whom I actually idolize. Chan was trying to be funny while being 'manipulated' by the tux, but turned out to be corny (at least for me). I'm not sure if he's already too old for the job, but if he goes on with his upcoming movies like that, his name will just fade away from the movie industry, and the likes of Jet Li will very much make a better replacement for him.

The movie also proved that Love-Hewitt wasn't a comedienne after all. She's no match to Reese Witherspoon when it comes to actress versatility (the latter can do both funny and sad movies). She should just stick to drama or other pretty-girl films.

Very Silly, But Fun & Fast-Moving

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 September 2006

If you enjoyed Jim Carrey's "The Mask," you might enjoy this Jackie Chan film. It has a similar storyline but instead of a mask, it's a suit someone puts on and receives some supernatural powers.

It's all extremely silly but with a lot of slapstick and outrageous scenes, you are going to get some great laugh-out-loud scenes and some really stupid not-funny stuff....especially in a Chan movie. Jackie is an amazing man, with the stunts he can do at his age.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Love Hewitt is easy on the eyes, especially showing us her body, but her character in here is pretty lame. The whole movie is pretty brainless but if you don't care and just want some laughs and be entertained, this serves its purpose. It's certainly a fast-moving 99 minutes and there's nothing wrong with that.

disapointing

Author: Steve Robson (commodusone) from Cambridge England
14 January 2003

although both jackie and jennifer do well with this lazy, confused script ultimately this film falls flat. a jackie chan film first and foremost is a vehicle enabling us to see jackies martial arts talents and physical comedy. The premise was childish and at times i found myself cringing with embarrassment which is unheard of im a huge jackie fan and have been since battle creek brawl. Lets face it it doesnt take much to please us rush hour 1 and 2 shanghai noon mr nice guy etc have been fantastic. just put jackie in lots of imaginitive fight scenes with a comedy sidekick or indeed police story just imaginitive fight scenes. But with the tuxedo a lot of the fight scenes have been matrixed up and are cgi'd which we dont expect from jackie. the actual plot was like something from the english school film foundation. Lets hope shanghai knights and highbinders are better.

Cut the wires!

Author: guyb from Portland, Oregon
18 November 2003

What a shame to see Jackie Chan's talents wasted with a bunch of kung fu wires to leap in the air with. The whole joy of watching his movies is the sheer talent and relentless energy he demonstrates while doing all of his own stunts. Leave the wires to those who really need them.

Robot Pants

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
14 November 2003

Spoilers herein.

Actors are among the most cursed beings in the world. To the extent that they succeed as stars, they build constraints. That's because movies are always about other movies and recognizable actors are always about themselves as we know them.

And that's doubly true for actors who rely on a gimmick, in this case choreographed acrobatics. After a few dozen films, it must feel just like putting on a remotely controlled suit and doing the minstrel machine bit.

I think it is possible to incorporate this in a film in a clever self-referential way. `The Wrong Trousers` is the very best of this, and pokes fun at the automatic nature of the Hitchcock formula.

This about as far from that gentle sophistication as one can get. It is crude and stupid.

But yet, this Ms Hewitt is pretty good at mugging over the camp. I don't know her TeeVee work, but it surely doesn't allow for actorly annotation like she does here. She seems to be copying SM Geller, particularly the goofy acting-with-thighs type of poise she showed in `Scooby Doo.' That was pretty intelligent, though. This is not.

Chan and Hewitt rock!!

Author: Bradley Wong from Hong Kong
22 March 2012

Unlike most people on here, I found "The Tuxedo" to be one of Jackie Chan's funniest films since the "Rush Hour" films! For the first time in Jackie Chan's film career, his unique fighting ability, that he displays so flawlessly, is attributed to a formal dining ensemble(the tuxedo)! Chan has also showed his uncanny ability to play well on screen opposite just about anyone who is paired with him regardless of race or gender as he does here with the very beautiful and talented Jennifer Love Hewitt! I really enjoyed the non-stop romp of laughs as well as Chan's signature arsenal of stunts in this one! Chan and Hewitt deliver the kind of chemistry that should have led to a sequel if the movie had done well at the box office. Unfortunately, it didn't! The special effects come off dazzling and flawless! If you're a fan of Jackie Chan's, then you need to continue to support his efforts with your viewing of this film! You will not be disappointed.

Far from Jackie's finest hour

Author: AwesomeWolf from Australia
21 May 2005

I started watching 'The Tuxedo' bearing in mind that I'd heard from Jackie fans and Jackie haters alike that 'The Tuxedo' was one of the worst movies ever. It looked like a kids movie, and so I was going to treat it accordingly. Then again, 'The Accidental Spy' looked like a kids movie, and 'Eagle Shadow Fist' looked like a Jackie Chan movie. I should have learned already not to assume anything about a Jackie Chan movie that I have not yet seen.

Jackie plays Jimmy Tong, a lowly chauffeur for millionaire and apparently world famous spy Clark Devlin. I always thought that if someone was a world famous spy, then they aren't doing their job properly. Then again, I always thought Jackie Chan always played action heroes who didn't need the help of some stupid gimmick to kick arse. When Devlin ends up hospital, Tong dons the super tuxedo of death and gets to work on stopping from a water dealing super villain and said villain's mad scientists.

I thought 'The Tuxedo' was meant to be a kids movie, but it seemed a little to adult to be a kids movies. Then again, it comes complete with kiddie violence. Few people would expect a good story from Jackie Chan, but what we do want is a solid action movie. All we have here is a movie obsessed with wires and CGI, and a lacklustre plot. I know Jackie is getting older, but 'New Police Story' had a fair share of wire work, and it managed to be entertaining. 'The Tuxedo' in unimpressive and not very exciting at all.

However, for all I've complained, 'The Tuxedo' has a few funny moments. The scene involving James Brown and Jackie Chan as the 'Emperor of Soul' being a highlight of the movie, even though is supposed to be some sort of action comedy...

'The Tuxedo' is not as entertaining as it looks. It has its moments, but not the sort of movie die hard Jackie Chan fans should watch if they have anything better to watch - 4/10

Naff latest Jackie Chan film

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
13 January 2003

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Okay,so from the off-point,we realize this is nothing more than simple escapist fare.A story about a tuxedo that gives it's wearer the power to perform extraordinary,super-human feats and stunts was very unlikely to ever be perceived as potentially thought-provoking or socially insightful.So,it's a sign of just how poor a film The Tuxedo is that it just isn't any fun at all.Chan's previous ability to perform all his own stunts,even at the very real risk of life-and-limb,is blatently covered by CGI in this film and for the first time ever,looks totally fake,which completely ruins the effect.Not only that,but his character just isn't any fun at all.Jennifer Love Hewitt is woefully miscast as his sidekick,whilst Jason Isaacs and Peter Stormare,two respectable actors,appear in embarrassing co-starring roles.First time director Kevin Donovan helms the whole joyless affair pacelessly,and when even the out-takes at the end aren't any fun,you know you're in trouble.*

It was all right!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
3 May 2007

Jackie Chan is at it again! In the movie "The Tuxedo", he's a chauffeur who ends up becoming a spy wannabe. Now being a spy isn't a easy job, you got to be fearless. No problem. But clueless, that's a problem. When the man he's chauffeuring is out of action, he steps up to the plate and takes his place. His partner Del Blaine(Jennifer Love Hewitt) has some type of issues in her. Very uptight, and so unwilling to open up, Jimmy Tong(Chan) does his little magic on her. The scenes are fantastic. The fight scenes are classic, and one when he encounters "The Godfather of Soul". Yep, it's James Brown! It's funny when he tells Tong to "enjoy the show". His suit takes him out accidentally. And the suit helped him do the moves J.B. does. I know that Jackie Chan is a little shy about his dance moves, but James Brown is a demanding individual. He wants the dance moves to be perfect. Of course when they did their scene together, J.B. says, "You're fast, but I'm faster!" In dancing yes, but martial arts? I don't think so! In real life J.B. did meet his match in the show business, but he's not jealous of J.C. Everyone in the movie deserve their spot in recognition. Jennifer Love Hewitt can kick butt too. Ever since "I Know What You Did Last Summer", she was tough. In "The Tuxedo" she kicked it up a notch. Great movie! 2.5 out of 5 stars!

Mindless but hilarious entertainment

Author: Randall Cameron from Sana'a, Yemen
11 March 2007

I am surprised by how low rated this film is. Don't think. Just laugh.

Jackie Chan dryly pokes fun at action film clichés. He plays a non-hero, an unassuming regular guy who can't meet a girl, or do anything except drive, who gets sucked into a ridiculous situation.

Completely unbelievable and ridiculous. Not great cinema. All action movies are that way; this is funny because of the low-key irony.

Even Jennifer Love Hewitt seems deliberately miscast, but hilarious as she vacillates between superintelligent nerd, ditz, valley girl and superheroine.

We prefer this to Austin Powers with its completely over-the-top, zero subtlety. Here the sexual innuendo would not be missed by a teenager, but would go right over the head of kids, making it a film any age could enjoy. But you have to want to laugh, not critique.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]