IMDb > Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (V) More at IMDbPro »

My favorite.

Author: morantjavonte from United States
13 August 2014

This was a movie I always wanted to get as a child growing up but for some reason I never got it. I finally brought it now and I still like watching it when I'm bored (yes 17 and still love Scooby Doo). It is very funny and entertaining, brings back great memories. I always loved Scott Ines when he voiced Shaggy and Scooby. He was always great. The rest are cool too. I cant imagine Someone else who is not Frank Welker voice Fred. It was also great seeing some of the past monsters like the Tar Monster and The Creeper coming back. The Main Villain, the Phantom Virus is a creepy monster that might make you check your closet every night. Overall the movie is great and will always be my favorite.

Lots o fun...a good laugh!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
3 April 2003

A thoroughly modern twist on a retro favorite is the premise of this 2001 straight-to-video flick starring those meddling kids, and their Great Dane.

Mystery Inc.'s member, ascot-clad, egotist Fred Jones, prett damnsel-in-distress Daphne Blake, prepetually hungry Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, brainy Velma Dinkley, and of course, Scooby-Doo, are observing a video game based on their past adventures, created by their whiz kid friend Eric, when a virus becomes loose in the game. The gang is sucked into the game, and their goal is to capture the virus. Everytime they get one step closer, they travel to another level of the game, until they're at the last level, their hometown, Coolsville. They encounter a Malt Shop, andupon entering, they see cyber-versions of themselves (the original versions). The real Mystery Inc. must team up with the Cyber-Mystery Inc. to battle all of the monsters, no longer men and women in masks, but real monsters...zoinks!

I watched the various "Scooby-Doo" during the between 1985 and 1991 (Actually, the first series I saw, "13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo," came on when I was about 3 yrs. old, and was off the air by the time I was about 4 yrs. old--I never liked this series anyway), rerun episodes of "Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?" (my favorite of all the series) "Scooby and Scrappy," (one of the 4 worst series--"Pup Named Scooby-Doo" follows in its footsteps, as does "Scooby's Laff-a-lympics"-I vaguely remember this one), "Scooby-Doo Movies," and "The Scooby-Doo Show" (which was a decent mid-70s series). I hadn't seen any of the films, except for the live-action version (which I absolutely loved), and "Scooby and the Reluctant Warewolf" (which I couldn't stand), but this was a decent film. I know all of the cases, the monsters, the obvious and inside jokes...heck, I could solve the mysteries within 10 minutes. But this movie kept me guessing. It was really funny to see the characters more modernized, and what the retro counterparts looked like.

While this was a fun movie, the only complaint that I had about it was Shaggy's voice. I know it's not Casey Kasem, and it's too obvious. But once you get past that, it's not a problem. The other characters are voiced decently (they have had plenty of people voicing Velma and Daphne, but if they replaced Fred's voice, it would be a gaping hole--Frank Welker's voice is very key to the character). It's nice to know that some things don't change (like Fred being "all-ego"). But the idea of seeing him sans-ascot was pretty gutsy (that rediculous red ascot MADE Fred in the original series!). Scooby-Doo sounded the same, and he was just as loveable as ever (I never liked the cartoon much until I was the live-action film, but I ALWAYS loved Scooby!!!). Velma, however, is still my favorite character--she's smart, and sometimes has great one-liners. Daphne, for once, isn't the damnsel-in-distress---she's resourceful and smarter than her cyber-countepart. Fred was pretty cool, and Shaggy, as always, is a scene-stealer, but he's Shaggy--he doesn't need a reason.

My favorite scene was the scene where the gang meets their cyber-counterparts in the Malt Shop, and the scene at the carnival. Plus, the villians (REALLY monsters!) were cool--including the Creeper! I LOVED the episode with the Creeper (I kept chanting to myself "Creeper! Creeper!!!!" after seeing this!)

All in all, this was a decent film--plenty of laughs, and lots of adventure. If you like vintage Scooby-Doo, then this movie might peak your interest. The animation is great-and just as colorful as the original! Definitely take a look at this film--it's a cyber chase worth taking!!

Funny, with a touch of educational tips!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
29 May 2006

Going into cyberspace is always something. When Scooby Doo and the gang decide to help with a game that's being reprogrammed by a cyber creep, they get their megabytes into action. It was very interesting when the gang met their cyberselves. The old-look gang and the new look gang never had a problem working together, and the old ghouls they encountered were put into the mix as well. The ghouls were the ones they faced in the past: The Gator Ghoul(The costume was worn by Alice Dovely), The Creeper(Worn by Mr.Carswell, the bank president), The Tar Monster, The Jaguaro, and other s to name a few. They weren't the real threat, the real threat was the phantom virus. Getting the Scooby Snacks was always the clicker whenever the gang went to another level, and being in the game wasn't so bad either. All those clues, all the mystery, no wonder Scooby-Doo cartoons always be great fun. At the end of the movie, the gang show what the liked about the web, and how it gets their interest going. I've enjoyed this movie from day one, and it couldn't get any better! 5 stars. SCOOBY-DOOBY DOOOOOOO!!!!!!

One of the best Scooby movies so far

Author: kenny_c_hueholt
20 October 2001

I ordered this movie over the Internet and recieved it in the mail yesterday. I must say I could write a book on everything I liked about this movie. First of all the new voice of Daphne was Grey Delise, she was really great. I also liked the behind the scenes that they showed afterwards. It was nice to see what the voice actors looked like and sounded like in real life. Grey Delise is very attractive. Actually, she kind of looked like Daphne, except for the fact that her hair is dark, while Daphne's is red. It was interesting to see how much work went into making this filem. Of course, we all remember the B52's from "The Flinstones" movie. They show up here to sing the "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" theme. That was a great rendition. As for the plot of the movie itself, I really enjoyed it. Especially when they got to the last level of the games and met the cyber versions of themselves and also met all those villians. I'm really looking forward for the live-action "Scooby-Doo" movie to come out next year.

My childhood.

Author: dominickneedname
5 June 2013

It kills me a little not giving this a perfect ten out of ten but that would be going WAY to far with it...

Still. I LOVE this film! I remember watching it when i was really little, five i think? Im not sure but i was young is the point...

Anyways lets put the rose-colored glasses down and talk about the film a little. Clearly its a scooby doo film. Its the same basic plot as all the other films and TV shows... Then one has really good animation i must say...Its hand drawn just th way cartoons SHOULD be but sadly are not.

Overall I still really like this movie and i have to give it an 8 out of 10.

All hale emperor Scooby !!!!!!!!!

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
27 June 2011

Let me start off by saying that yes this isn't the best Scooby-Doo cartoon movie ever made but it is still one that people of all ages can enjoy. This movie is guaranteed to bring smiles to all the faces that watch this cartoon.

Scooby and the gang are sent on a mission to stop a deadly virus that has the ability to steal every computer technology in the world. They are sent into this cyber world to try and save themselves and their friends from danger from the evil virus. There are non-stop laughs and old fashion Scooby-Doo fun that nobody can get enough of.

The plot and setting of this movie are new to the Scooby-Doo world as they are met with a real villain similar to the previous Scooby-Doo cartoons: Scooby-Doo on zombie island and Scooby-Doo and the alien invaders. As Scooby, Shaggy, Daphne, Velma, and Fred are in the cyber world they come face to face with some of their old, famous, and some of my favourite villains such as: The Creeper, The tar monster, iron face, etc. They also come to see their old selves as the game they are trapped in is based on the original way they looked and acted.

The storyline the cartoon follows is also great, which leaves us with unpredictable twists and turns which will make us all smile and laugh and make us just keep wanting more.

This cartoon has an all star voice cast such as: Scott Innes as Scooby-Doo and Shaggy, Grey DeLisle as Daphne, B.J. Ward as Velma, Frank Welker as Fred and Gary Anthony Sturqis as The Phantom Virus. Every voice actor in this cartoon do a great job especially Gary Anthony Sturqis, he does an amazing evil voice and fits the Phantom virus character very well, the only thing I wish is that he had more lines in the films.

All in all this is a very good Scooby-Doo cartoon that will leave nobody disappointed, while not the best it is definitely still a great and fun movie to watch. So make sure you rent or buy Scooby-Doo and the cyber chase because it is great for people of all ages.

Overall rating: ******* out of **********

***1/2 out of *****

Some may consider this a spoiler so I saved it for last. I like how they once again used a real villain and not just a man in a mask, but in the end the culprit is just an ordinary person.

Super-meta-fiction

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
1 May 2011

Cross Neuromancer with In the Mouth of Madness, add a little bit of Tron, Terminator, and set it in the Scooby-Doo universe and you pretty much have the basis for Cyber Chase.

The Mystery Inc. gang go visit a college friend who has made a video game based on their exploits. But instead of enjoying the novelty they are terrorized by an entity born of a computer virus who has entered the real world. The gang are beamed into their own video game (called Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase) and are forced to play through the levels in order to catch the virus (so to speak), eventually encountering their digital selves and digital versions of classic villains from the past. Sharp viewers will recognize Cyber-Shaggy's alternate costume from the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf.

It's very clever, with loads of potential, most of which is not realized with the brisk run-time. At least you'll never get bored. It's certainly one of the most subversive and mind-bending Scooby adventures. A video game arcade featured towards the end of their titular Cyber Chase even features the Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase video game, thus making it self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential fiction. Phew...get your head around that. And if that wasn't enough, it's the only Scooby-Doo animated feature to spawn its own real video game (for the PlayStation and Gameboy Advance), which would make that game self-referential fiction within...oh man, I'm getting dizzy.

Smart and tightly-written, Cyber Chase's lack of scope is the only thing preventing it from being a classic.

Well done straight to video movie ...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
23 December 2001

1st watched 12/23/2001 - 7 out of 10(Dir-Jim Stenstrum): Well done straight to video movie of the popular who-dun-it crew from Hanna/Barbera. This movie does not take away those things that made the series popular(the smartly created whodunit, the funny antics of Shaggy & Scooby and even the theme music is pretty much the same). Many times new movie versions of old popular series' s distract from the original fun, but this one doesn't. It even gives us opportunity to remember back when the new crew meet up with the old crew in the computer game and even bring back the old monsters in the old shows. Overall a good combination of the new and the old. Way to go Scooby rooby-roo !!

A bit too far out there in terms of the story...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
30 April 2017

I did grow up with watching "Scooby-Doo" cartoons, like so many others did, and I still do get to sit down and watch the occasional "Scooby-Doo" movie every now and then together with my seven year old son.

And as we got the chance to watch "Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase", and sat down to watch it.

"Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase" turned out to be one of the more silly of stories that I have sat through during the many years of watching "Scooby-Doo". Why? Well, with the mystery gang being pulled into cyberspace, it was just a bit over the top. It was just too far out there. Sure, it was fun for my son to watch, but I just had a difficult time buying into it.

I will say that the animation and art style in "Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase" turned out to be quite alright, as it usually is for a Hanna-Barbera production. And it is great to see that they stay so true and close to the original art style that has been a part of "Scooby-Doo" ever since the early years.

The voice acting performers were also doing good jobs, and it is always a treat to have Frank Welker voice. However, there were some of the more frequent voices that were missing from this movie and have been replaced by someone else, which was a shame.

All in all, then I found "Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase" to be somewhat less than adequate, given the questionable storyline. But for children, then this is definitely a fun movie to sit through.

An Honest Review

Author: generationofswine from United States
1 April 2017

Scooby Doo meets Tron? At least that would have been a fun throwback to the New Scooby Doo Movies people my age grew up on...you know, the one that was still aired on TV in the 80s and introduced the latter part of Generation X to celebrities that they really only saw in Scooby Doo until Nick at Nite took off? Yeah, that would have been a great throw-back...

Instead you have, well, Scooby Doo with a Videodrome feel where he gets sucked into a video game and maybe it was an update of Jumanji and...really....

It just stank. I'm sure kids like it, but it wasn't Scooby Doo. It was awful and, honestly, the jokes never stuck and humor never landed.