IMDb > Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase

Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (V) More at IMDbPro »

Funny, with a touch of educational tips!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
29 May 2006

Going into cyberspace is always something. When Scooby Doo and the gang decide to help with a game that's being reprogrammed by a cyber creep, they get their megabytes into action. It was very interesting when the gang met their cyberselves. The old-look gang and the new look gang never had a problem working together, and the old ghouls they encountered were put into the mix as well. The ghouls were the ones they faced in the past: The Gator Ghoul(The costume was worn by Alice Dovely), The Creeper(Worn by Mr.Carswell, the bank president), The Tar Monster, The Jaguaro, and other s to name a few. They weren't the real threat, the real threat was the phantom virus. Getting the Scooby Snacks was always the clicker whenever the gang went to another level, and being in the game wasn't so bad either. All those clues, all the mystery, no wonder Scooby-Doo cartoons always be great fun. At the end of the movie, the gang show what the liked about the web, and how it gets their interest going. I've enjoyed this movie from day one, and it couldn't get any better! 5 stars. SCOOBY-DOOBY DOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Lots o fun...a good laugh!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
3 April 2003

A thoroughly modern twist on a retro favorite is the premise of this 2001 straight-to-video flick starring those meddling kids, and their Great Dane.

Mystery Inc.'s member, ascot-clad, egotist Fred Jones, prett damnsel-in-distress Daphne Blake, prepetually hungry Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, brainy Velma Dinkley, and of course, Scooby-Doo, are observing a video game based on their past adventures, created by their whiz kid friend Eric, when a virus becomes loose in the game. The gang is sucked into the game, and their goal is to capture the virus. Everytime they get one step closer, they travel to another level of the game, until they're at the last level, their hometown, Coolsville. They encounter a Malt Shop, andupon entering, they see cyber-versions of themselves (the original versions). The real Mystery Inc. must team up with the Cyber-Mystery Inc. to battle all of the monsters, no longer men and women in masks, but real monsters...zoinks!

I watched the various "Scooby-Doo" during the between 1985 and 1991 (Actually, the first series I saw, "13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo," came on when I was about 3 yrs. old, and was off the air by the time I was about 4 yrs. old--I never liked this series anyway), rerun episodes of "Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?" (my favorite of all the series) "Scooby and Scrappy," (one of the 4 worst series--"Pup Named Scooby-Doo" follows in its footsteps, as does "Scooby's Laff-a-lympics"-I vaguely remember this one), "Scooby-Doo Movies," and "The Scooby-Doo Show" (which was a decent mid-70s series). I hadn't seen any of the films, except for the live-action version (which I absolutely loved), and "Scooby and the Reluctant Warewolf" (which I couldn't stand), but this was a decent film. I know all of the cases, the monsters, the obvious and inside jokes...heck, I could solve the mysteries within 10 minutes. But this movie kept me guessing. It was really funny to see the characters more modernized, and what the retro counterparts looked like.

While this was a fun movie, the only complaint that I had about it was Shaggy's voice. I know it's not Casey Kasem, and it's too obvious. But once you get past that, it's not a problem. The other characters are voiced decently (they have had plenty of people voicing Velma and Daphne, but if they replaced Fred's voice, it would be a gaping hole--Frank Welker's voice is very key to the character). It's nice to know that some things don't change (like Fred being "all-ego"). But the idea of seeing him sans-ascot was pretty gutsy (that rediculous red ascot MADE Fred in the original series!). Scooby-Doo sounded the same, and he was just as loveable as ever (I never liked the cartoon much until I was the live-action film, but I ALWAYS loved Scooby!!!). Velma, however, is still my favorite character--she's smart, and sometimes has great one-liners. Daphne, for once, isn't the damnsel-in-distress---she's resourceful and smarter than her cyber-countepart. Fred was pretty cool, and Shaggy, as always, is a scene-stealer, but he's Shaggy--he doesn't need a reason.

My favorite scene was the scene where the gang meets their cyber-counterparts in the Malt Shop, and the scene at the carnival. Plus, the villians (REALLY monsters!) were cool--including the Creeper! I LOVED the episode with the Creeper (I kept chanting to myself "Creeper! Creeper!!!!" after seeing this!)

All in all, this was a decent film--plenty of laughs, and lots of adventure. If you like vintage Scooby-Doo, then this movie might peak your interest. The animation is great-and just as colorful as the original! Definitely take a look at this film--it's a cyber chase worth taking!!

Well done straight to video movie ...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
23 December 2001

1st watched 12/23/2001 - 7 out of 10(Dir-Jim Stenstrum): Well done straight to video movie of the popular who-dun-it crew from Hanna/Barbera. This movie does not take away those things that made the series popular(the smartly created whodunit, the funny antics of Shaggy & Scooby and even the theme music is pretty much the same). Many times new movie versions of old popular series' s distract from the original fun, but this one doesn't. It even gives us opportunity to remember back when the new crew meet up with the old crew in the computer game and even bring back the old monsters in the old shows. Overall a good combination of the new and the old. Way to go Scooby rooby-roo !!

All hale emperor Scooby !!!!!!!!!

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
27 June 2011

Let me start off by saying that yes this isn't the best Scooby-Doo cartoon movie ever made but it is still one that people of all ages can enjoy. This movie is guaranteed to bring smiles to all the faces that watch this cartoon.

Scooby and the gang are sent on a mission to stop a deadly virus that has the ability to steal every computer technology in the world. They are sent into this cyber world to try and save themselves and their friends from danger from the evil virus. There are non-stop laughs and old fashion Scooby-Doo fun that nobody can get enough of.

The plot and setting of this movie are new to the Scooby-Doo world as they are met with a real villain similar to the previous Scooby-Doo cartoons: Scooby-Doo on zombie island and Scooby-Doo and the alien invaders. As Scooby, Shaggy, Daphne, Velma, and Fred are in the cyber world they come face to face with some of their old, famous, and some of my favourite villains such as: The Creeper, The tar monster, iron face, etc. They also come to see their old selves as the game they are trapped in is based on the original way they looked and acted.

The storyline the cartoon follows is also great, which leaves us with unpredictable twists and turns which will make us all smile and laugh and make us just keep wanting more.

This cartoon has an all star voice cast such as: Scott Innes as Scooby-Doo and Shaggy, Grey DeLisle as Daphne, B.J. Ward as Velma, Frank Welker as Fred and Gary Anthony Sturqis as The Phantom Virus. Every voice actor in this cartoon do a great job especially Gary Anthony Sturqis, he does an amazing evil voice and fits the Phantom virus character very well, the only thing I wish is that he had more lines in the films.

All in all this is a very good Scooby-Doo cartoon that will leave nobody disappointed, while not the best it is definitely still a great and fun movie to watch. So make sure you rent or buy Scooby-Doo and the cyber chase because it is great for people of all ages.

Overall rating: ******* out of **********

***1/2 out of *****

Some may consider this a spoiler so I saved it for last. I like how they once again used a real villain and not just a man in a mask, but in the end the culprit is just an ordinary person.

Super-meta-fiction

Author: Shawn Watson (curiositykilledshawn@gmail.com) from The Underverse
1 May 2011

Cross Neuromancer with In the Mouth of Madness, add a little bit of Tron, Terminator, and set it in the Scooby-Doo universe and you pretty much have the basis for Cyber Chase.

The Mystery Inc. gang go visit a college friend who has made a video game based on their exploits. But instead of enjoying the novelty they are terrorized by an entity born of a computer virus who has entered the real world. The gang are beamed into their own video game (called Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase) and are forced to play through the levels in order to catch the virus (so to speak), eventually encountering their digital selves and digital versions of classic villains from the past. Sharp viewers will recognize Cyber-Shaggy's alternate costume from the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf.

It's very clever, with loads of potential, most of which is not realized with the brisk run-time. At least you'll never get bored. It's certainly one of the most subversive and mind-bending Scooby adventures. A video game arcade featured towards the end of their titular Cyber Chase even features the Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase video game, thus making it self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential fiction. Phew...get your head around that. And if that wasn't enough, it's the only Scooby-Doo animated feature to spawn its own real video game (for the PlayStation and Gameboy Advance), which would make that game self-referential fiction within...oh man, I'm getting dizzy.

Smart and tightly-written, Cyber Chase's lack of scope is the only thing preventing it from being a classic.

Well written addition to the Scooby-Doo Legend

Author: ApolloBoy109 from United States
14 October 2001

Say what you want, I have been watching Scoob and the gang since it first aired (1966). I enjoy them all and this Chase through the past was written with an eye for long time fans and the gentle self-aware comedy we've come to love. The gang's whiz-kid friend has invented a computer game based on the antics of Mystery, Inc.(s) past cases. However a wicked game virus has been created by one of four possible suspects. When the gang is sucked into the Scooby game they must battle villains and the Virus on each level to get out. Along the way we are treated to the B-52s singing the signature theme, Roman warriors, Dinosaurs and the original monsters they fought in the first three seasons. Only this time -- they're not men in masks either. The real treat is when the gang meets themselves from the original show. (They are the actual characters in the game)Kudos for the mystery itself too. Fun clues are laid out for the ardent observer. This video marks the first of the new Scooby Movies that does not have Mary Kay Bergman voicing the red-haired beauty. Miss Bergman passed on about a year ago. Her voice is missed. The film is dedicated to William Hanna who also past away recently. If you're 5 - 14 or just a Scooby fan you will love this film!! A Scooby Snack for the eyes!!.........

An enjoyable Scooby-Doo film with a touch of nostalgia

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
14 September 2013

I first saw this film on video when I was 14 and I quite enjoyed it. When I went to a recent dog show in Battersea Park, there was a jumble sale where I browsed the DVDs and I picked up this one for only £1. What a bargain, especially if I got more out of it on my second viewing.

While the character designs were modernised, the animation was decent with bright and bold colours but the lip-sync was sometimes off within the first 20 minutes and the pace during this time was slow but Scooby imitating the officer as well as him sharing copious amounts of food with Shaggy much to the annoyance of other students and Fred and Daphne calling the virus a "creepy thingie" were hilarious and made that part a little more tolerable. The first three game levels ran at an even pace but after that, the next few levels from the underwater world to the North Pole were rushed, although I liked the effects applied to them such as the underwater 'wobble' and the Northern Lights. Despite the final level taking up about a third of the film's running time, I liked it when the modern Scooby- Doo cast met up with cyber versions of themselves that looked exactly as they did from 'Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!' (one of my favourite childhood cartoons that I slightly prefer to this film) and I liked the robotic vocal effects on the cyber characters, but Shaggy's voice sounds a bit different from that in the original series and I prefer the original version of the SDWAY theme tune to the version used in this film. The cyber versions of the main characters brought back a vast amount of memories and gave the film its nostalgic touch. If I had other pros, these would be the musical score having some whimsical charm with traditional and futuristic hints, the glowing effect around the virus, a space-buggy and bumper cars resembling the Mystery Machine and I liked the main game having a few links to baseball. If I could pick out another con, that would be the dialogue being overly simplistic in parts, especially during the final level scene but I thought the "bone to pick with you" line aimed at the skeleton baddies at the Colliseum was intelligently witty. The 'Favourite Parts' segment after the end credits was a pleasant surprise and a long-forgotten part of the film.

All in all I enjoyed this more on my second viewing and although it has a few flaws, it is of sentimental nostalgic value. 8/10.

My childhood.

Author: dominickneedname
5 June 2013

It kills me a little not giving this a perfect ten out of ten but that would be going WAY to far with it...

Still. I LOVE this film! I remember watching it when i was really little, five i think? Im not sure but i was young is the point...

Anyways lets put the rose-colored glasses down and talk about the film a little. Clearly its a scooby doo film. Its the same basic plot as all the other films and TV shows... Then one has really good animation i must say...Its hand drawn just th way cartoons SHOULD be but sadly are not.

Overall I still really like this movie and i have to give it an 8 out of 10.

Scooby fun

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
9 June 2007

Okay Scooby fans, this is the big one. Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase is one of the more interesting of the newer Scooby movies, the Phantom Virus is cool and seeing some of the old villains in video game form is cool. The Tar Monster, the Gator Ghoul and old Iron Face are some of my favorite of the old villains. The story works and the mystery is compelling. But why couldn't they get Cassey Cassium to play Shaggy? I miss him, as far as I'm concerned Cassey is Shaggy and anyone else is a poor imitation to greatness. But that's only a minor complaint for Scooby-Fans, this is one you will want to add to your collection of Scooby-DVDs. Missing Scooby-Doo and is the Cyber Chase is a Scooby-Don't. 9 STARS.

Lighthearted and Fun

Author: jason06-1 from United States
25 March 2007

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase lacks the punch of "Zombie Island" and Witch's Ghost", but provides enough entertainment for repeated viewings

Plot: The film starts out at a computer lab where a Phantom Virus (Gary Sturgis) is beamed into this world from the computer world and attacks Professor Koffman (Tom Kane) and his students Eric (Bob Bergen) and Bill (Mikey Kelley). The next day Fred (Frank Welker), Daphne (Grey DeLisle), Velma (B.J. Ward), Shaggy (Scott Innes), and Scooby-Doo (Scott Innes) are heading over to meet Eric. There they meet Officer Wembley (Joe Alasky) who regards suspicion against the gang. The gang meets Eric and learns of the problem with the Phantom Virus. They learn the Phantom came from the video game that Eric was designing about the gang and that if they could bring the phantom into the lab they could zap him back into the computer world, but their plan backfires and instead the gang is zapped into cyberspace and must compete in Eric's computer game and win all ten levels to get out.

The Good News: The Phantom Virus is one of the more imposing villains of the Scooby-Doo movies. He's a pretty menacing threat and make the danger that much more higher. He cracks a few occasional jokes, but even in those moments he never comes of as corny or cheesy and remains a threat to the gang. The plot is really modern day with the video game design and the technology is really today. The levels in the video game are designed fantastically and the animation is vivid and bright. The levels get harder and harder and some are pretty unpredictable and they are just a joy to watch them as they unfold in front of your eyes. In the last level there is a pretty good jump which got me the first time I watched it. The gang approaches a woman who's face is hidden in shadows and it turns out to be the Pantom Virus. Meeting up their Cyber doubles was neat, cool, and imaginative all rolled into one. It allows a look back in time and we see how much the gang has changed over the years. As with almost all Scooby-Doo movies what stands out from the entire movie is the ending and this one is no exception. The grand finale at the amusement park is fantastic, but I don't want to give anything away. The voice cast is good, with the standout being Gary Sturgis as his interpretation as the Phantom Virus. The relationship between Fred and Daphne is expanded on a little with this film having their first kiss. Granted it is on the cheek, but you can slowly see it building up. The film moves along at a constant speed and has the best example of a successful beginning: Introduce character, set up problem, and go from there.

The Bad News: This translates back to the original episodes where the villain is clueless. At one point in the film Shaggy and Scooby are being chased by the Phantom and they run into an office and the Phantom follows them only to be fooled by Shaggy and Scooby when they dress up as doctors and "operate" on him. It takes the Phantom far to long to realize what is going on and since he is one of the creepier villains this is a shame. The characters preform some of the dumbest acts ever. Listen to this, Shaggy and Cyber Shaggy have just escaped the Tar Monster and they stop and eat! The clues are also hard to spot, they're right in front of you, but a little more time on the culprit would have made the clues easier to spot out.

Conclusion: Scooby fans will find a lot to like here and non Scooby fans will also find some things to like, but other may want to exercise caution. Recommend

Rated: Not Rated