IMDb > Haunted Lighthouse (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Haunted Lighthouse More at IMDbPro »

Good Casting, but no diffrent than any other 3d movie.

Author: superdude81589 from United States
20 August 2003

This was a cute little family flick where they give you cheap thrills by spraying water at you and having various items popping out of the screen. worth watching as long as you dont mind getting wet. It stats ou with a story about how the lighthouse became haunted. Then you come to current time where a ghost boy brings two siblings to the lighthouse and trys to kill them. And it ends with a comical cameo by Wierd Al. Overall 2.5 out of 4 stars

Excellent Job on 3D Haunted LightHouse

Author: danielscroggs from United States
18 October 2006

My Wife and I took our 7 yr old Son to this show at Sea World, San Diego. He really enjoyed it as did my Wife and I. People need to realize that this was a 30 minute version designed mainly for kids and the family as a whole. It was very entertaining as well as keeping you on the edge of your seat wandering when the next special effect was coming to surprise you and make you jump. The effects themselves as well as the time it must have taken just to design this 3D version must have been extensive. Just the planning alone probably took months. Though I must agree that the story line is quite short, we must all admit that the attention span of Children isn't that long either.

I applaud Sea World and the makers of this 3D adapted version for a job well done and look forward to more of the same.

Twice as good as some movies, half as good as it should be.

Author: sedagive-2 from Orlando, FL
6 June 2005

While this isn't terrible, I think the main problem is it's too short. There could've been a whole lot more backstory built into every one these characters, and the end result would've been more satisfying. Even another 15 minutes would help. There are a couple of loose ends I'd like to see tied up--how does Bobby Edner's character cast a shadow on the beach, anyway? Not only backstory, but in the "present day" there should've been more for each character to do. Every performer seems only to be barely scratching the surface of his/her role, and the whole thing could've been a whole lot more fun. Maybe this long version could've even been protracted to 2 installments (there's an idea--keep people coming back!) Not only that, but with Christopher Lloyd & Leah Thompson (who share more screen time here than they did in the entire BTTF trilogy), I kept expecting a McFly, Tannen or DeLorean to show up at any second!

Good Casting, but no different than any other 3d movie.

Author: superdude81589 from United States
20 August 2003

This was a cute little family flick where they give you cheap thrills by spraying water at you and having various items popping out of the screen. worth watching as long as you dont mind getting wet. It starts out with a story about how the lighthouse became haunted. Then you come to current time where a ghost boy brings two siblings to the lighthouse and trys to kill them. And it ends with a comical cameo by Weird Al. Overall 2.5 out of 4 stars

Fun little show

Author: jlhowe3 from Virginia, USA
5 July 2003

I was really looking forward to seeing R.L. Stein's Haunted Lighthouse because Busch Gardens Williamsburg had run the 4D show Pirates for the last five seasons. I enjoyed the show, but it was sort of a let-down because it was so similar to Pirates. In fact, there's one scene where Christopher Lloyd is looking through a telescope (and the telescope appears to be coming straight at you) that was identical to a scene in Pirates. Still, the show was good and had some moments that surprised and starteled me. Haunted Lighthouse was a fun, 20 minute 4D movie that was a fun and relaxing way to beat some of the heat during the day. It was worth seeing once. However, if you're going to be visiting Busch Gardens Williamsburg and only want to do one 4D show, I recommend Cork Screw Hill in the park's Ireland section. I've done Cork Screw Hill about 10 times now in the two years since Ireland opened and I enjoy it every time! It's a much more involved 4D experience.

Very Cute!!

Author: (r8derhed5150@lvcm.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada U.S.A.
3 June 2003

I have seen this on a recent trip to Sea World in San Diego, CA. and thought it was a neat little movie. The story was cute, and the 4th dimension made it fun. There are a couple of scenes which will have you jumping out of your seat. Of course, I probably wouldn't go back to see it again, but it made for a good rest stop in the park. Just a warning if you end up seeing this movie. Try not to bring any babies to it. They can get a little upset with the 4th dimension.

Good for kids

Author: gi_jane210 from San Antonio, TX
2 June 2003

Please understand that this movie was created mainly for kids. Sometimes, kids appreciate fantasy movies more than adults do. Perhaps the adult has lost part of that imagination he/she used to possessed as a kid. I liked this movie and I am sure a lot of kids would like it too. I recommend it if you are going to Sea World or Disneyland where they show it in 4-D.

yuck

Author: call960 from United States
19 February 2006

This is a TERRIBLE film. Joe Dante should be ashamed of himself. The lighting is awful and the acting is bad. The story is also very disappointing. Any one of the old R.L. Stine TV show scripts from the 80's/90's would have been better than this. Also, Rachel Hunter is listed in the credits, but she does not appear in any version of this film that I have seen. The 3-D effects are very poorly executed, and are very predictable. Also, this movie, at about half an hour, is much too long for a theme park presentation. Did anyone mention to the film-makers that one of the most important things about a 3-D movie is to make sure to use maximum light in your image?

Family entertainment sprung a leak

Author: a-g-2 (a-g@visi.net) from York, VA
16 March 2003

The only thing haunted about "Haunted Lighthouse" was the fact that about 30 minutes of my life has now passed on and I will be forever reminded about how I cannot ever get it back.

The "Spy Kids" series, Warner Bros. cartoons, and the Muppets constantly show that you can do family entertainment that will appeal to everyone and avoid heavy shipments of cheese.

I would say the writing was primarily what was at fault here. I've never read any of R.L. Stine's books but I am familiar with the genres the author deals with (early teen thrillers). I can't get on the actors here too much. The kids were.. well.. not every kid can be Haley Joel Osment.

The adults were primarily Christopher Lloyd and Michael McKean since Lea Thompson only had a scant two or three lines and Weird Al was mainly scenery for while he was present. Lloyd and McKean did performances that were right on par with what the film was supposed to be. The problem was the material they were given to work with wasn't up to par with them.

The 3-D effects featured were well done and the '4-D' interactions (water spraying, buzzing vibrations from the seats, wind blowing, etc) were pretty effective. It's just a shame that the entire package that was delivered could not compare to the wrapping that encased it.

For anyone visiting Busch Gardens I recommend seeing it once (because I think every flick they have in the Globe should be viewed at least that many times) but similar to their "Auction at Castle O'Sullivan" in Ireland... once is more than enough for "Haunted Lighthouse".

Neat idea, needed more of a plot than what was likely enscribed on the back of a napkin in 5 minutes by the author.

False advertising at its worst

Author: Icanseemybreath
31 July 2003

I drove four and a half hours with great hopes of somehow getting the chance of travelling through time. I saw a commercial advertising this so called "4D" experience, well call me professor stephen hawking, but isn't 4-D supposed to deal with time in some way? They didn't even TRY. All it was, was water splattering at me, and my chair was shakin, i mean ive never travled through time before, but im pretty sure thats not time travel. So if you are ever in busch gardens, thier is no reason to see this movie, ever. See the ice show instead, it doesn't use false advertising- because you know what, it's called the ice show, and guess what it is... A show on ice. I recommend the ice show.