IMDb > Disney's Halloween Treat (1982) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Disney's Halloween Treat (V) More at IMDbPro »

LOVE THIS

Author: almate00 from Lexington, KY
19 October 2004

This movie is the greatest! My sister and I watched it EVERY year growing up and were SO disappointed when the Disney Channel stopped showing it. I'm 28 now and have been looking online to buy this video because it always meant so much to me. It includes clips from "The Sword and the Stone", "The Aristocats", "Peter Pan", etc. Like other people who have viewed this movie, I also had recorded it from the TV back in the day. With as many times as we watched it, there are so many lines on it now, you can't see what you're watching! I still remember the words to the song that goes w/ the Trick or Treat Donald Duck cartoon. If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it--especially if you're as much of a Disney fan as I am.

Save a Halloween Tradition

Author: trousers420 from United States
28 July 2005

Like so many others, I grew up watching the Halloween specials on the Disney Channel ritually. Specials like "The Halloween That Almost Wasn't", "Mr. Boogedy" and "Disney Halloween Treat" are important parts of my childhood that I would like to preserve for my children, as well as my viewing pleasure. I can only hope that the fans of such old Disney Channel staples speak out and let the brass up top know there is an audience for these relics that are inevitably rotting in some video library in Florida. If not, lets all please search our local Mom and Pop video stores that our fatefully going out of business due to the inability to compete with the like of Blockbuster, and buy up the final copies of these videos and make them available to everybody. I don't think I can take another October without them. Damn the corporate machine the only wants to strip us of our childhoods, Danm the Disney Channel for taking away our precious reruns only to replace them with "A Lizzy MacGuire Halloween." It's a shame, the same company hold our holidays hostage without releasing the Christmas classic "Mickey's Christmas Carol." Uncle Walt has been spinning in his grave for way too many years now.

Halloween with many Disney friends

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
18 January 2004

My family has this special recorded on tape, and we've had it for a long time. I remember watching it quite frequently because you just don't see clips from Disney movies as much as you can today. I especially like the clip from The Sword in the Stone where Merlin and Madam Mim engage in a wizards duel. That still cracks me up! I also enjoyed the Peter Pan clip when I was a kid, even though I'm not a huge fan of the movie itself.

After watching it again recently, I'd have to say that my favorite parts of the special are the showings of The Old Mill and Donald Duck & the Gorilla. Both cartoons are quite different as The Old Mill is an early Fantasia-like segment that is beautiful while Donald Duck & the Gorilla is simply a hilarious Donald short. Other notable cartoons include Lonesome Ghosts and a clip from Pluto's Judgment Day.

However, I have to say that Disney's Halloween Treat just seemed to drag on for a while. I was expecting the standard hour-long special, but it actually goes past an hour and a half (which is usually longer than most Disney movies)! I was also in a bit of a hurry when I watched this so I was eager for it to end. While the villains segment was kind of neat with a very different looking Magic Mirror (it sounded, and may have been played, by the same person who voiced Captain Hook), it just seemed to stretch out too long, talking about numerous villains. I mean, did we really need to look into the villain of The Aristocats? I thought that was unnecessary.

I also didn't really care for the last cartoon, Trick or Treat, starring Donald Duck, my favorite character. In this cartoon, he is surprisingly mean and there aren't nearly as many funny moments as there are in Donald Duck & the Gorilla. So all in all, this is still a good special if you ever get a chance to see it. My main recommendation though is if this movie can be edited somewhat, maybe down to an hour. Then maybe you can see it more often on the Disney Channel or even ABC.

My IMDb Rating: 7/10. My Yahoo! Grade: B (Good)

A Restrospective of Disney's Top Villains and Spooky Cartoons. No Tricks. Just Many Treats.

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
29 October 2005

A retrospective to Disney's top villains and spooky cartoons, hosted by The Grand Pumpkin himself from his grand dinner table. We begin this retrospective with The Grand Pumpkin's favorite villain, Mad Madam Mim. From the time in "The Sword in the Stone" in which she and bumbling magician Merlin have a wizard's duel and turn themselves into different animals to fight one another. Mim became an alligator, a fox, a chicken, an elephant, a tiger, a snake and a rhinoceros, all colored red while Merlin became a turtle, a rabbit, a caterpillar, a walrus, a mouse, a crab and a goat, all colored blue. Madam Mim really got it in the end. Literally. And next, we see a stunning display of animation and eerily beautiful music from the scene at Bald Mountain in "Fantasia". We see ghosts rising from the grave, riding ghost horses into the night, with Chernabog looking on and raising all kinds of heck; Donald Duck and his nephews learn that a gorilla, named Ajax, has escaped from the zoo, and this animal is a killer. Huey, Dewey and Louie were worried and Donald thought it would be fun to scare them. To get back at him, the boys dress as a gorilla and it was all good fun until the real gorilla broke in and chased Donald all over the house. A funny scene is where Huey accidentally burns Donald's tail with the candle, so he takes it from him and, unintentionally holding it too close to the door knob, then he tries turning the door knob only to burn his hand.

Luckily, there was a way to subdue Ajax: with tear gas. Fortunately they kept tear gas in the house for just such an occasion. The end result is Ajax and Donald bursting into tears; Pluto chases two cats out of his yard then finds himself very fatigued. But sure enough house cat Figaro only causes more trouble for him. Fortunately the Sand Pup arrives to put Pluto out. Pluto suddenly found himself on trial, presided by a cat judge, a prosecution cat and an entire jury of cats! Well it took the jury 1/2 a second to decide the verdict: guilty. When Pluto awakened, he had a better outlook and was nicer to cats from then on; We see more Disney villains in action, such as the vile, sinister Captain Hook from the time he left Peter a time bomb, disguised as a gift from Wendy. Meanwhile he gave Wendy, John, Michael and the captured Lost Boys a choice: join his crew or walk the plank. Fortunately, Tinker Bell overheard Captain Hook's plans and raced to Peter's rescue. She got that package out of there before it blew. Hook and Mr. Smee thought Peter had perished. Think again, boys; Next we see Cruella De Vil attempting to snatch the 101 Dalmatians in a grueling car chase; the wicked queen from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" gives Snow White a poisoned apple. By the time the seven dwarfs come to the rescue, it was too late. Snow White had taken a bite, and collapsed.

The Dwarfs chase the wicked queen up to the mountain top where he tried to drop a boulder on them. Fortunately lightning struck, sending the wicked queen to her death, the boulder following right after; Lady from "Lady and the Tramp" has to deal with evil Aunt Sara's sinister Siamese Cats, Si and Am; Mickey Mouse searches his basement for a masher, when a pair of shoes get caught on his gun barrel so he thinks there's someone following him; And finally, Mickey, Donald and Goofy run a ghost-chasing business and receive a call to rid an old house of ghosts. Little do they know it was the ghosts themselves who hired them. Mickey, Donald and Goofy really get a run for their money as the ghosts play endless pranks on them, they begin attacking each other, rather than the ghosts. Luckily some molasses and flour, giving the illusion that our heroes were ghosts, scared the real ghosts out of the house and far away.

This animated special is very well done. We get to see clips of all the classic Disney movies and cartoon shorts. There are some we don't see, like the time Donald's nephews get even with him because he gives them bad candy during Trick of Treating, so they consult a witch who gets Donald back, with hilarious results. I hadn't seen this special since I was very young, but I recently came across the video tape and as soon as I watched it, the memories came flooding back. I think it last aired on The Wonderful World of Disney in 1990. I wish it would resurface again. Voices: Bobby Driscoll as Peter Pan, Peggy Lee as Si and Am, Walt Disney as Mickey Mouse, Clarence Nash as Donald Duck and his nephews, Pinto Colvig as Goofy, Hans Conried as Captain Hook, Bill Thompson as Mr. Smee, Karl Swenson as Merlin, Martha Wentworth as Madam Mim, J. Pat O'Malley as Jasper, and Betty Lou Gerson as Cruella De Vil. Unfortunately, these people have passed all away. We will remember them always for their glorious talents. The current Disney Halloween special was that Mickey's House of Villains. Many cartoons seen here were seen there. So if you can possibly find it, I recommend Disney's Halloween Treat. No tricks, just treats. Happy Halloween. And in the words of the immortal Grand Pumpkin, "See you tomorrow. Maybe".

A New Halloween Tradition

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
19 May 2002

Great family entertainment for Halloween. This television special includes several classic Disney Halloween cartoons such as, "Lonesome Ghosts," "Trick or Treat," "Pluto's Judgment Day,"as well as scenes featuring famous movie villains. Tends to be seen on the Disney Channel around Halloween under the title "A Disney Halloween" or "Mickey's Halloween Treats," so keep a lookout for it.

Overall a good viewing experience

Author: bensentl from United States
5 September 2005

I enjoyed this video with my children. I really like some of the old Disney footage with Pluto and Donald Duck. There are some older classic bits in the video. Kids may find that it moves too slow, compared to the way cartoons move so quickly now, etc. But it is still a lot of fun. The movie does a nice job using the concept of a jack-o-lantern as the MC. The jack-o-lantern takes you on a trip through history of old Disney villains. The old Headless Horseman video is worth the price of rental or your viewing time by itself. There are a few spots that may be scary for little kids. But for the most part, I think your entire family would enjoy the movie. Try If you are a fan of the old classic Disney animation, you will really enjoy this movie.

Wonderful Childhood Tradition- Want to see it on video!

Author: hairboy079
29 August 2002

Disney's Halloween Treat was one of those Halloween traditions my family always made sure was completed. Every year my sister and I would fling ourselves on the floor in front of the TV, lights off and candles lit, waiting for it to begin. Although we have it on tape, in time part of it was deleted and the video is becoming older and harder and harder to hear and view, but even in my teen years, I pull it out and watch it every Halloween! It is a wonderful special, with memorable Disney clips, and fun and spooky adventures. Kudos to the narrator; his voice is amazing and sets the mood PERFECTLY! This special is pure Disney magic at its "spookiest"!

Remembering the Spooky Times...

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
31 October 2013

And what a treat it is. Hosted by The Grand Pumpkin, we look back on some of the more "spooktacular" moments from various Disney movies and cartoons, spotlighting kooky villains and spooky situations. First up on the agenda, The Grand Pumpkin's dear old friend, Mad Madame Mim, recalling the time she and Merlin engaged in a Wizard's duel. Changing into various animals to get the better of one another, and well, when it comes to Merlin, when you mess with the goat, you get the horns. Literally. Next, we see that clip of Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia. Beautifully animated and that music is captivating, and doesn't Chernabog look absolutely frightening? Following that eye and ear candy, we are shown a time where Mickey's imagination got the better of him when he hears a strange sound in his basement. So, rifle in hand, he ventures downstairs and is sure someone is following him. It's actually a pair of boots that got snagged by his gun, but Mickey is sure it's a killer and hides in the furnace. As if the mouse wasn't having enough trouble in his house, we are now treated to the time Ajax the gorilla escaped from the city zoo and terrorized Donald. This being right after his nephews pulled a prank on him by dressing as a gorilla. So when the real one shows up, Donald thinks it's another prank, but soon learns otherwise. A convenient radio broadcast suggests mastering any animal by looking him straight in the eye. Donald tries this, but only sees his own gravestone. So he stuffs an umbrella in its mouth and runs.

Ajax continues to terrorize Donald and chases him all over his enormous house, until finally he finds himself trapped in a collapsible table. That's when the radio announcer chimes in and says tear gas is all that can subdue Ajax. Luckily the boys happen to have some lying around, so they toss it at the murderous primate, causing him to burst into tears. Donald too. Next, we join to Pluto who, after chasing some obnoxious cats out of the yard, is experiencing fatigue and is trying to sleep, but Figaro won't stop pestering him. Eventually the sand dog finally arrives and puts him to sleep... you know what I mean. As he snoozes, Pluto dreams of being put on trial by a bunch of cats who instantaneously find him guilty. Going back to infamous villains, Captain Hook is next in the spotlight as we recall the time he captured Wendy, John, Michael and the Lost Boys, and left a wrapped "surprise package" for Peter, making him think it was from Wendy. Little did he know the package was a time bomb. Thankfully Tinkerbell overheard and came to the rescue just in time. Remember when Cruella De Vil gave a furious road chase after the 101 dalmatians who tried to disguise themselves as Labradors? Man, who's the daredevil who gave her a license? So, after we see the wicked queen give Snow White a poisoned apple, we recall the time Lady was harassed by two cunning Siamese cats. Finally, we hear the story of the Headless Horseman who stalks the woods at night. This is very unsettling to Ichabod Crane, who has to ride home in said woods. At first everything is quiet...too quiet. Suddenly, the Horseman strikes! Good lord, he's terrifying! The air filled with his menacing cackle, a sharp sword in hand ready to lop off poor Ichabod's head. The stalwart man raced for his life, knowing that once he crossed the bridge, he'd be safe. But he didn't count on the Headless Horseman throwing his flaming pumpkin head through the covered bridge at him. Odds are, he didn't make it. Well, see you tomorrow...maybe.

Ah, pure Disney nostalgia. If you like the movies and cartoons spotlighted here, and you're a fan of Halloween, this is a must. I remember this special exposed me on to The Sword in the Stone and 101 Dalmatians, showing the two most memorable scenes from the movies. I've seen a total of two versions of this special. The first one had a shortened intro and excluded the Sleepy Hollow segment, and instead ended with a cartoon of Mickey, Donald and Goofy trying to rid a house of ghosts. So this Halloween, I definitely recommend Disney's Halloween Treat, from back in the days when the company actually stood for something. Wonderful animation, beautiful music, extraordinary stories and situations, it's Disney at its finest. Check it out, show it to your kids, expose them to the true Disney classics. Don't worry if it seems scary for them, it's only cartoons, and besides, being scared sometimes is good for you. Happy Halloween!

Great little program for Halloween.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
19 October 2013

During Halloween time, I would occasionally pop in this video and watch it for some Disney magic, laughs and entertainment.

This is a made-for-video program that is a compilation of scenes from Disney films and cartoons. Since this video is related to Halloween, all the scenes contain either ghosts, goblins, witches or villains (i.e., the Queen from Snow White and Captain Hook from Peter Pan).

It is a nice animated short, great to see all the scenes compiled in a way to commemorate Halloween. The "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence is, what I think, the more eerie and thrilling of the scenes featured (taken from a sequence in "Fantasia," where it depicts a demon doing some sort of ritual or dance with wandering spirits). Bing Crosby served as narrator, whose voice came out of a talking pumpkin. The theme song sung in the introduction and conclusion to various Disney scenes is catchy and spirited, giving you the Halloween spirit.

This animated short is not for scares, but nice entertainment for the entire family.

Grade A

Miss this Disney special...

Author: nataliaabrego83 from United States
9 September 2008

Totally agree.. But i love the talking pumpkin better!!! I have to watch it but on you tube because i still can not find this video any where!!! it is the best to watch during Halloween, even now that in in my mid twenty's i still watch it and would love to show my niece's and nephews what we used to watch when we were kids. but it is not the same.. :-( It would be so nice if they were to bring it back BUT THE ORIGINAL ONE NOT SOME NEW ONE WITH NEW CLIPS... For years I have been trying to find this video and hope that it would come on t.v again but nothing. Me my brother and sister would always watch it, and i could just clearly remember the talking pumpkin!!!! with the many different Disney clips, like the Gorilla that escaped from the zoo and chased after Donald and his nephews though out the house, or the clip of the Sword in the Stone!!! Oh and the Headless horse man... PLEASE BRING THIS GREAT CHILDREN 'S TRADITION BACK FOR OUR NEW GENERATION!!!