IMDb > The Canterville Ghost (1975) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Canterville Ghost (TV) More at IMDbPro »

I always believed this was Vincent Price, but it was my favorite David Niven!!!

Author: richard.fuller1
5 October 2002

I remember this thing coming on back when I was in the third grade. It was a stagey setting, like a soap opera. I thought it was Vincent Price who played the ghost. I guess I was thinking of Price on the Brady Bunch Hawaii episodes.

This was hilarious, with the ghost trying to scare the family and the young boys putting a bucket of water over the door and it dumps on the hapless ghost.

The ghost kept putting the blood spot back and the new lady of the house kept cleaning it up where the ghost had died, and finally he puts an emerald green spot on the floor.

In the end, the teen aged daughter finds the ghost sitting in a room, alone, very tired. He asks for her help to enable him to have eternal rest. She agrees. When we see her next, standing atop the stairs, looking shellshocked and ragged, she merely states to her startled family "I have been with the Canterville ghost". Apparently she had to go to the devil and back to help the ghost out. In her hands is her reward for assisting him; a box of precious, rich jewels and emeralds and diamonds.

David Niven was the ghost and always superb. I am surprised to see Audra Lindley, Maurice Evans and James Whitmore were in this, as I recall none of their faces. This was a wonderful program I would love to see again.

I loved this movie

Author: desenddarkness from United States
19 June 2006

I thought I was going nuts! I knew David Niven was in a version of the Canterville Ghost, but no one would believe me! I loved Niven is this film and have been looking for it for many years now. My favorite line is "Machine Oil, Pillows, I've never been so insulted in all my death"! I enjoy most of the versions of this movie that are out there, but his is my favorite. David Niven is one of my all time favorite actors (along with Vincent Price) I also loved him in the Pink Panther and Death on the Nile. I collect old movies and would love to own the version of The Canterville Ghost with him in it. I don't remember too much about the film, except the line above and that I really enjoyed it. They should make more films like this. Today's movies are too gory and pointless.

A vague but persistent and powerful impression was made.

Author: mike1bigvortex from Massachusetts, USA
9 April 2006

I remember this TV movie! I thought the year might have been 1975, but I was a year off. I was 9 years old and it was 1974. I don't remember a great deal except for the title, the fact that I thought Peter Ustinov was the Ghost (I was obviously wrong) and the wonderful atmospheric quality of the production together with a very jumbled memory of a "ghostly" storyline. And that I loved it! I fought with my brother to watch it on television. "The Canterville Ghost" won out over "Cool Hand Luke." I do remember that vividly. Oh I do wish this production were released for sale! I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. David Niven must have made QUITE an impression in this production for my 4th grade memory (I'm now 40)to have retained it. I've recently heard this production's staging described as having something of the feeling of a soap opera, but remember, in the United States, where ghosts and medieval castles within which they haunt are nonexistent, this movie opened my eyes to the genre in a big way! Bravo to all involved! I hope a copy is made available to the public soon!

Beautiful story

Author: CountVladDracula from United States
28 September 2007

This is a classic story in true Oscar Wilde wit and flair. It's both haunting and funny. It's a fairy tale for all ages. In this story a young American girl helps to free the tormented spirit that haunts an old English castle. It's very well written and a beautiful tale for all ages. It's too bad this wasn't the best adaptation.

The best adaptation of The Canterville ghost, in my opinion, has to be the version with Patrick Stewart as the ghost, it was made for television in 1996. Though set in the 1990s it's very true to the book. The worst adaptation of the Canterville ghost, in my opinion, is the version set in 1944. It had been turned into blatant war propaganda and was almost unrecognizable, it's plot having nearly nothing at all to do with the original story by Oscar Wilde, which is a true classic.