IMDb > The Butterfly Effect (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 111: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Chaos Theory

Author: João Rui Teixeira (joao.rui.teixeira@gmail.com) from Portugal
8 March 2009

Without doubt, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

First, the screenplay. Obviously a very original and creative idea, with very great suspense and plot development. Moreover, it has this great end to complete it.

Secondly, the performances. It was very astonishing watching Ashton Kutcher's great performance, since i thought he was a 'trash entertainment' actor, suddenly I realize I was wrong.

It's a kind of a mid-budget movie with a lot of contents.

A 'must see' movie for those who want to experience the effects of the chaos theory (or the butterfly effect).

to make a right...

Author: haris_petaro from karachi, pakistan
3 January 2009

here's one film to remember for some time.

bress and gruber came up with an amazing idea, a theme that intrigues most of movie goers, combined it with the elements of drama, suspense and romance. elegantly done.

apart from direction, the acting was fantastic. the kids were simply superb. among adults, elden and amy were outstanding. what impresses me most is the storyline, the effort of the protagonist to 'make it right'. he could have settled for one eventuality or another, but he longed for the good of everyone. and for that he sacrifices love. heartwarming, and a little heartbreaking.

8.5/10

Clearly and brilliantly directed

Author: Pazu Kong from Lhasa, Tibet
28 December 2008

Butterfly Effect from the past, change one thing and your life would be totally different, positive or negative.

The movie keeps me wondering what my life would be if something really bad didn't happen, or something fantastic missed out from my life. Sometimes we just wanted everything to be "good" in our lives, we forgot how the goods would be emerged from the bads, perhaps it is exactly what makes life so beautiful.

The movie is cleverly directed, though lots of jumping through times, the story is still clearly and brilliantly told. It reminded me of another movie Groundhog Day, a similar story about changing the past, accompanied with some unexpected future, but Butterfly Effect is more outstanding as it tells the story in a more philosophical overtone.

schizophrenic time traveler?

Author: hectorposte from Sweden
2 August 2008

Well, I saw this interesting movie. And I found it susceptible of more than one interpretation. On one side I agree that this movie can be about time traveling and about those unintended consequences which may result after a person modifies the past, if it is possible. But in the other side I see maybe a more reality-anchored movie telling us the story of a schizophrenic young man (Evan), trapped in his mental illusions. And the movie gives us very clear clues in this direction: his grandfather and father suffered of the same illness and maybe he did inherit it after them. And it is possible that all those early very traumatic experiences he went throughout had an effect of accelerating his mental fall. Throughout the movie he is often visiting or staying for a while at the mental hospital. Trapped in his fantasies he dreams of changing the past in order to save his girlie friend from the childhood. This movie reminds me of Donnie Darko, another "time-traveler" with clear connections to some mental disorder or lack of capacity for approaching Reality.

Not based on the Ray Bradbury novel of the same name.

Author: starman2765 from United States
12 July 2008

Not a bad movie at all! A bit convoluted, at one point I found myself reviewing the narrative so that I could be on point with the story, and was able to do it. The main actor gets a chance to show more range of emotion than many actors, or perhaps it is more a tribute to him then to the script. While it has a Hollywood ending there is a bit of a bittersweet quality to it, suggesting that the best of all possible worlds may not be the one that we would most like to inhabit. Another tribute to the scriptwriter to pull off such a feat without being preachy or (other than already noted) overly convoluted.

The cinematography in the movie is first rate; employing a restrained use of dynamic techniques at the right moments. It might have been better with more beauty, but not everyone needs that to be suitably impressed. There was also a quality to the flashbacks that at once was recognizable, and at the same time suggested an urgency that drove the movie forward. Kudos to the special effects crew here for a subtle point well taken.

The actors all did a fine job considering the roles that they were presented with, though not all of them had the impact as the lead. The prison sequences, I think, were most impressive and visceral. The gritty childhood sequences were a bit overly intense (due to the subject matter) and underplayed (due, I suppose, the ratings board). I think that this is one of the places where the script faltered, and could have been fleshed out (ala Pan's Labyrinth) or reworked (the better choice I think) for the better. Still, it works in a better than average way here as well.

Again, overall, the movie was really good! I'd see it again to dissect it with a friend, but don't think I'd want to see it by myself again. Thumbs up.

Plot synopsis: Convoluted mess of journals. The boy is subject to blackouts. These happen at intense moments of his life. We later learn that these blackouts coincide with his future self going back in time and mentally inhabiting his younger self's body, spewing out words and actions that change the future. Never with overtly amusing consequences. It's not that kind of movie, unless you happen to be a sadist, in which case the ending will be disappointing (unless you have nurtured you inner happiness monger).

So the child witnesses events both disturbing and emotionally charged that he blacks out over; and the future self keeps finding himself in different alternate realities. Did I mention that it's kind of convoluted? So there is no linear storyline associated with this picture. Instead there are multiple aborted story arcs that leave various of the main characters in stages of emotional or physical damage. As one example, the main actor goes back in time and stands in front of a powerful fire cracker. When he finds himself in the future, his has no arms from the elbows down. The same firecracker kills his (later to be estranged, no, make that never even flirted with, let alone dated etc.) wife. You get a sense of how convoluted the story line is by these parenthetical asides, so it is a testament to the story writer that the movie was as easy to follow as it was.

These various alternative realities continue to play out, and the main character continues to hold on to the memories of them. The other characters amount to figments of his imagination (albeit flesh and blood ones, with there own hidden desires and life paths) since they are continually moved from one alternative reality to another with out even the whisper of a doubt in their minds that the one that he (or is that He - the stigmata does apply here) is currently inhabiting is the only one that ever existed, and any other ones that he might be talking about are clearly fictional.

The movie ends with the girl happily alive and wearing all white; and he's apparently a businessman (though actually he could be a drug dealer, a gigolo, an antiques salesman or a presidential candidate for all we know; all we really know is that he's done playing with the past (and therefore the future)) just going about his businessman's life.

It's a movie that suffers from this kind of linear, didactic exploration, and would be better suited to a discussion of the themes involved, which I have already touched on.

May you reading this be well and happy.

I feel like I'm having a hangover of the Movie !!!

Author: Harish Prakash from India
18 June 2008

I was interested in the Chaos theory which eventually lead me to this movie.

Have you ever got this feeling of hangover of a particular movie after having watched it? you'll surely get that. No I won't call it a Science fiction movie, I'll it a more psychologically inclined one.

Excellent acting by Ashton Kutcher and the other cast. Movie's very similar to Frequency, except for the protagonist's problems are numerous and considerably darker. I find bits and pieces of Stephen King's stories in various parts. Like the Jail and the Dog burning part.

The story tries to convince you the fact that changing the past is impossible and every time you try doing that you end up making it equally or much worser. I won't tell you the ending, but I can assure you its satisfying enough if not feel good enough.

It isn't a classic movie, but I recommend one and all to watch it to feel out of the world...

Compelling, disturbing but ultimately rewarding Sci Fi drama

Author: theycallmemrglass from United Kingdom
28 March 2008

If you enjoyed a film called Frequency with Denis Quaid, you'll enjoy this one even more as long as you are prepared to journey into a more darker edged and at times very disturbing depths of the worst elements in society. This is primarily an intelligently executed drama where the time jump mechanism is used to highlight the dramatic consequences of people's lives from childhood to adulthood. It is an intriguing exploration of how people's personalities and life can be determined by the events of their childhood, environment and friends. The film then projects how people's lives drastically change from the "butterfly effect", i.e., when an element of the past is slightly change. As the film progresses, we are pulled by the scruff of your neck into a spiral dive towards hell with our flawed hero trying to "fix" things. With many twists and turns in the tunnel, the pace is quite relentless bringing us to what I feel is a superb, sad, clever but satisfying conclusion. The ending provokes different reactions so you may not feel about it the same way as I do but that is the film's power. I love time travel movies and this one is placed in my top 5. Highly recommended though be warned, it may be uneasy viewing at times due to a disturbing but essential element that drives the plot.

decent time travel movie

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
9 July 2007

this movie has a good premise.going back in time to change your present or future and the ramifications this could have.it's not an original premise,but it's 1 that hasn't been done to death yet.at least i don't think so.the movie has some good dramatic moments and some suspense ,but i didn't really find it all that compelling.it is quite disturbing in some scenes.i think this is Ashton Kutcher"s first big starring dramatic role,and i didn't quite buy him in the role.he has improved since then,though,most notably in "The Guardian" also starring Kevin Costner.in the "The Butterfly Effect" he seems a bit over his head.Amy Smart is also in this movie,and is good as always.my vote for "The Butterfly Effect":6/10

Ashton continues to surprise

Author: shiftyeyeddog from Illinois
5 July 2007

I can't figure out Ashton Kutcher. On That 70's Show I thought he had potential. He did Just Married, which I personally found quite amusing, and thought he was good in. Then he became tabloid fodder and was everywhere, being the annoying, obnoxious guy we all see him to be. I blame Punk'd. I admit, I find some of them very funny, but he just comes across as so completely immature and obnoxious. But then I see this film, and again I think he's got something. He played his role quite well, and never once resorted to his usual style of lowest-common-denominator humor.

I'd probably closest compare this to Final Destination. It's something different, very well done, with its own tone and style, and not driven by star power. New Line Cinema continues to impress me as a force in the genre. While not anything groundbreaking or spectacular, this film is satisfying. Here's hoping Kutcher continues to make good project decisions.

Stick with it

Author: ttansell from Australia
19 August 2006

The plot of this movie is tangled and at first appears to be disturbing and weird. Thankfully we stuck with it and it develops into a clever and innovative storyline and the seemingly random scenes at the beginning come together in a brilliant fashion. Ashton Kutcher is surprisingly deep considering his performance in other movies. It may merit a second watch as I think it will be one of those movies where you miss things early on that link into the plot later. Drama/Fantasy/Scifi/Thriller certainly describes this movie as it has a little of everything and yet it isn't overly graphic and doesn't rely on shock factor to be compelling.