IMDb > The Butterfly Effect (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 108: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Thought-provoking

Author: Mark (marcus40mast) from London, England
18 April 2004

I went to see this film with 3 friends, none of us expecting too much, and we were all very surprised. I found the film to be thought-provoking and it is one of the few films in recent memory I've seen where I actually gave a damn about the characters. I found myself actually flinching at parts of the film and wishing certain bits wouldn't happen, even though you knew they would. The best acting jobs in the entire film are done by the children. Those playing Kutcher and Smart and especially William Lee Scott in thier troubled years do outstanding jobs. My advice to anyone wanting to see this film is to go into it with an open mind and don't try and pick holes in the time-travel theory. Suspend your disbelief and just allow yourself to say "well maybe this is how it would happen", only then will you get the true experience. It may suffer from "Back To The Future" syndrome regarding time-travel, but that's only an annoyance if you let it be. Don't. In my mind this film will deserve more recognition than it gets. 9/10

Good Movie - don;t listen to negative feedback

Author: jdandshell
3 April 2004

All around good film.

One of those that is hard to understand in the first fifteen minutes though. I was kind of lost. Thinking to myself, "why are we seeing this first?" Then it all started to make sense to me as the movie played out. The screenplay was great. Actors do a great job too. I really liked the film. First flick in nine years that my wife I and I both liked. It is on my top ten, and I believe is good enough for at least some nominations this fall. I like films with twists, and odd circumstances, with weird and out of the ordinary plots. This one was right up my ally. Others who did not like the film, probably got bored with it early on. If you stick with it, it turns out to be a great movie. I recommend that you see it.

Interesting, but flawed

Author: Robin Johnson
15 October 2014

I really wanted to love this film. It has an incredibly interesting idea which resonates to that of Donnie Darko which is one of my favourite films. However there are significant scripting issues which make events feel incredibly forced. The idea behind the whole film is clever, and does clear some of the anomalies the film has. But there is an underlying issue with the film which just feels frustrating and very forced. It's definitely worth a watch as it is thought provoking, and it would be good to have your own opinion on it. But it is best not to go into this film expecting to see a masterclass. It is enjoyable, and the overall theme is particularly stimulating, yet it feels lacking and a few elements short of a great film.

Awesome movie

Author: jdaubz9 from United States
12 October 2014

The Butterfly Effect is a mind blowing movie that will leave you on the edge of your seat. This movie did not get as good of a rating as it should have. This is an amazing movie that really shows you how everything you do really does change your whole life. It's dramatic, with characters that you will feel for and connect with. This movie made $17,065,227 on opening weekend in the USA. I feel like this movie should have done way better than that. It doesn't even spot in the top 200. The rating doesn't make sense to me since there are so many good things about this movie. The acting: perfect. The plot: amazing. The story: great. The drama/suspense: mind numbing. I think people don't appreciate this movie as much as they should because they didn't connect with the characters. The actors give off such emotion in every scene that it would be impossible not to feel for the character. The Butterfly Effect definitely deserves a higher rating.

Mind blowing!

Author: Alexander Tendeland from Norway
1 September 2014

The Butterfly Effect is certainly one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever seen - and I don't even really like psychological thrillers!

I really do not see why this received such poor reviews. The acting is great, especially for such difficult characters, and the way the story evolves and develops is incredibly intriguing; you really feel emotionally invested in the characters in a very different, but very good, way.The clever plot and plot twists make for an amazingly entertaining film, and definitely give you something to think about for a while after!

Original, unsettling, satisfying and a downright great film!

And it might just be silly enough to work...

Author: bigal_95 from Sheffield, UK
25 August 2014

I didn't like the first fifteen minutes or so of this movie. On paper, it reads like an aborted X-Files episode, and it did feel that way in the opening stages. But I remained patient, and was rewarded - it's not an amazing movie, but it's enjoyable and entertaining enough. It's undeniable that it papers over certain cracks in the plot, but, nonetheless, you're in such a state of suspending your disbelief anyway that it all just sort of rolls up into one mad, fun, mess - like, in fact, most good sci-fi. The performances are satisfactory and Ashton Kutcher is not completely intolerable as the lead; the youngster they got to play child Kutcher is particularly good at channeling his older self. At times, this film attempts to be a bit too clever for its own good, and the plot cohesion suffers as a result, and its tone is arguably a tad confused; switching between light-hearted and dark themes with little space or time for a proper transition. Nonetheless, overall it's a solid thriller that should keep you hooked, and, despite a bit of a soft ending, satisfied.

Good

Author: Harriet Deltubbo from United States
19 August 2014

The setup: A young man blocks out harmful memories of significant events of his life. As he grows up, he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life.

The verdict: This film is dark, brooding, intense; it is hard to watch at times and difficult to call enjoyable, but the story is still powerful. The trains of righteousness can't be stopped and their movement brings about reactive forces in the people they affect. Great performances help to enhance this amazing story of friendship and violence. It's an amazing work and everything I had hoped for, and then some.

A Mind-Blowing Film!

Author: Rainey-Dawn from United States
27 June 2014

This is a film that was recommended to me that I did not think much of at first I sorta blew off for the time being. I ran across the film one day and decided "what the heck I'll watch it". I had zero expectations about the film, really was not sure if I would enjoy it or not. Well, I more than liked the movie - I was totally blown away with it!

The Butterfly Effect is a mind-blowing film! It will have you thinking, guessing, rethinking, and re-guessing throughout the movie. This is another film that you may have to watch twice to fully "get it". It's a very odd film but so good!

I recommend watching this movie without any distractions - it's very detailed and if you miss something then you are lost!

9.5/10

Chaos Theory

Author: AbhiMathews from Canada
26 May 2014

Life is unpredictable. The very stroke of a pen, random smile you glance upon, or even the flutter of a butterfly's wings can completely alter the future. Often we try to play God, but the reoccurring theme is that it's futile.

The Butterfly Effect is an exceptionally beautiful movie since it eloquently outlines the persistence of man to continually search for the "perfect" change despite constant failures. Humans work tirelessly for goals yet don't quite realize when it's time to let nature run its course. It's hard to accept we are inadequate; it's even harder to let something we love go.

The Butterfly Effect is: thrilling, endearing, lively, romantic, disturbing and thought-provoking all simultaneously. It's a film that explores the boundaries on psychiatry and misunderstanding, phenomenology and free will, and is one that will undoubtedly impress.

Every Past Action Effects Your Life

Author: sir_striker886 from Canada
15 May 2014

The reason I gave this movie 10/10 is because of its ability to explain what most of our parents cannot. Like.. go to school... don't do drugs... watch out for your sister etc. Well yes perhaps many of you listen to your parents. I for one did sometimes... but that is because my parents couldn't explain why (I'm not one to really obey but a learner, I needed reason). Well if you have kids that are much like me this movie is a great tool to put things into preservative. If I do this now what will it cause? Of course the the butterfly effect or chaos theory is a long known theory. Some things you do not want to learn on your own (that's why there is parenting). I gave this movie a 10/10 for alternative perspective plus the meaning of good parenting and life lessons. (not saying the mom in the movie was a bad parent)