IMDb > "The Secret Life of Us" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Secret Life of Us"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Secret Life of Us" More at IMDbPro »

One of the best Australian shows !

Author: pri_e from Sydney, Australia
17 August 2001

Besides "Blue Heelers" and "All Saints", this is one of the best Australian shows I've ever seen. It is perfectly cast and the setting is just excellent, I love the storylines as they aren't just the usual - who slept with who ? the perfect jobs ? the perfect looks ? It keeps you entertained and alot of people find themselves relating to the characters or situations at some point. I love the friendship between Alex, Kelly and Evan, everyone wishes they had an Evan in their life. The 'marriage' between Gabrielle and Jason, Miranda and Richie's relationship and it's twist and turns. The overall cutie Will and his dilemmas with Sam and the memory of Leah. I just love this show, all have great talent

An Infectious blend of love, lust, friendship, dreams, disappointments, humor and sadness combined with beautiful scenery and great music !!

Author: Michael_Grech (mgrech@ozemail.com.au) from Melbourne, Australia
1 September 2005

There are many things that can be said about this fantastic show however if you saw if for the first time in its last 2 years of production then you can be excused for thinking that it was awful.

Although the show suffered an incredible demise during series 3 and never recovered, original viewers will always remember how sensational it was in the first two years. (2001-2002) In fact it was so good that it was bound to become worse because no show could continue to be that good while being so original and creative. I suppose all good things must come to an end and if the show had ended after series 2 then it would have left us viewers dying for more. The way it really ended during series 4 left us viewers yelling "Get it off !!" I can honestly say that I have never seen a show go from being so good to being so bad !! But remembering the first series, it was a show that any person in their 20's could relate to. It was an extremely realistic show which also had some great acting. Combine the infectious storyline, the great scenery (around St. Kilda and some of Melbourne's other more attractive locations) and not to mention... great home grown music and you have a great show. If you love Aussie music then this was definitely a show for you. Secret Life had a contract with Mushroom so we got to hear the best in Oz rock, both past and present !! We also got to hear Abi Tucker's great singing and Oh my god !! Who could ever forget Evan singing "Howzat" at the Fu Bar Karaoke night !!! What made it so special to me was that most of us could identify with every character in the show and as the series went on, the characters just grow on you. I will never forget in series 2, when Will (Joel Edgerton) left the show. It wasn't the same anymore. There was something missing. He was part of the original cast that made such a big impression on us. (Who could ever forget his heartache when he lost his lovely girlfriend Sam in a road accident) His departure was definitely the beginning of the shows demise as every original character except for Kelly & Simon, would soon jump off what was to become a sinking ship.

With the exception of Will's departure, series 2 was almost as good as series one. It continued with so many realistic situations that we could all relate to. Personally my favorite character was Jason, played by Damian De Montemas. In series one we saw him as a very confused man who was making a lot of mistakes and learning the hard way. Series two saw him trying to become more responsible after getting a girl pregnant. He committed himself to fatherhood and was extremely overjoyed after the birth of his son. He persevered with his relationship with a woman who was very difficult to get along with simply because he wanted to do the right thing and be a responsible father. But in the end it all caved in around him and nothing went his way. His absence in series three was a major disappointment for myself.

There was also the on-going Evan & Alex saga. The couple who seemed so perfect for each other but who always seemed to be victims of bad timing. I am actually amazed that the writers of the show never gave us viewers what we all really wanted which was of course to see them together in a relationship. Alex was to marry Rex who was played by Vince Colosimo. Although Vince Colosimo is a great actor, he was not suited to the show and his introduction was another step in the shows decline.

Despite the show losing its popularity, its later years did have some highlights. The introduction of Dan Speilman as "Tidy" was very good for the show although he only lasted one series and then he simply vanished like most others did in 2004. Stephen Curry was a great asset to the show in series 4 however by then it was too late. If he had been in the show in its earlier years, even if he was just a regular guest, he would have been a huge hit !! Also in the later years we got to know Simon (likeable Gay barman from Fu Bar) a lot better and his character was sensational.

There was however one character in the show that I could never understand. The character of Kelly, (played by Deborah Mailman and the shows longest serving character)never made a lot of sense. I am not sure what the writers of the show were thinking when they invented her. I must say she was good in the first series but after that her character never progressed in the same way that all the others did. It was the same story every series. She would just meet new guys and form relationships that would never last. Another thing that also did not make sense is that she is not an attractive woman yet in the show she got more interest from guys than all the other girls when some of the other girl were in fact stunners !! But overall the Secret Life Of Us will remain as one of my favorite all time shows. The first three series are available on DVD and I strongly urge anyone who has never seen the show to get your hands on it although I would just stick to the first two series and not bother with series three.

This is my most favourite Australian Drama

Author: Gareth_Mohen from Australia
6 October 2005

This is a TV show that will speak for a generation for generations. The cast for the entire series was the most dynamic ensemble cast on Australian TV in recent times along with "Seachange". There have been negative comments about the fourth series because it had a rather different feel to the other series. Especially since Sam Johnson left the program. However the characters in this series were just as strong. Stephen Curry and Brooke Harman especially created most intriguing characters. In previous series Dan Spielman, Gigi Edgley, Vince Colossimo and Jessica Gower brought exceptional performances. And of course Deb Mailman, Sam Johnson and Claudia Karvan were the real appeal of the show. It is a pity that this show was axed in such an understated way in such a late time-slot. We have not since seen anything that matches this program come out of Australia but hopefully in the near future there will be something on the horizon.

One of my favorites - ever!

Author: foffster from Norway
18 December 2006

One of my favorite TV-shows - ever. It had everything from great actors and casting who just became more and more beautiful after you got to know the characters, terrific stories and a very nice pace.

To love the characters is always essential, and these were characters that made in impact in your own life - people you could relate to, even if they were from the other side of the globe (from me).

I would run home to catch the next episode of the series, and that, for a grown man to do, is kind of...eeh...special. And Claudia Karvan is the most beautiful actress from Australia I have ever seen!

I'm just sad it didn't continue longer than it did. GRRREAT!

The essence of life in Australia's main cities

Author: tepanna from Sweden
19 April 2005

I started watching this series when I lived in Sydney and enjoyed it for it's perky yet unsweetened style. I enjoyed the characters played by Claudia Karvan, Samuel Johnson, Deborah Mailman and Abi Tucker and the clever "diary reading" story telling style but most of all I enjoyed the way it portrayed the environment. :-)

Everyone knows it's never that hot in Melbourne ;-) but apart from that the series still captures the 'essence' of life as a 20-30-something in Australia's main cities.

I missed the series so much when I moved back to Sweden that I had to buy it on DVD, and whenever I miss my home away from home too much I watch an episode to get a hit of "stralianisms".

Enjoy!

Best Aussie TV show ever!!!

Author: i_am_not_blonde from Sydney, Australia
4 February 2002

This show rules. If you haven't yet seen it then you don't know what you're missing. Claudia Karvan and Samuel Johnson are two of my favourite actors, and I love watching them do their whole "Alex and Evan sexual tension thing". Samuel Johnson's voice is so sexy. Deborah Mailman is great as bubbly Kelly, and then there's Will, Ritchie, Miranda, Gabrielle, Jason and Simon too round out the nine friends (most of the time). Some highlights of the first season were: Gabrielle and Jason swearing all the time (I don't know if that was meant to be funny but it was), Ritchie realising he was gay after getting with Simon and some other black guy who's name I can't remember and, of course, Alex and Evan getting together in the season finale. You have to watch this show for a better look at great Aussie drama. It's more realistic than Neighbours (and I watch Neighbours too but it's not half as good as The Secret Life Of Us). I can't wait 'til the next season starts!!!

First class drama - Recommended for all

Author: lloydiwombatboy from Swindon, UK
15 October 2005

I first started watching SLOU on UK TV when it was billed as an Aussie version of the UK series 'This Life' (highly recommended, also). I was instantly hooked. Loved series 1. Was waiting for series on C4 in UK but it never seemed to come. In 2002 I caught the first showings of series 2 in Aus and was gutted that I could only see a couple of episodes. I waited even longer. Eventually, back in the UK, they showed series 2 - at 12:30 am!! What's going on?! Series 3 never aired in the UK, and I bought the DVDs and had them mailed from Aus. Bottom line is this - it's an excellent series that was poorly misrepresented in the UK. I just love to chat to Aussies about the show (before it turned poo in series 4) and will always recommend it to people. One of the best dramas and a great reminder of my time in Aus (and particularly St Kilda)

Mostly entertaining for the entire four series.

Author: Rupert17 from Australia
26 August 2012

The Secret LIfe of Us looks at the intertwining lives of a number twenty-something guys and girls all living in a block of flats in the trendy Melbourne Bayside suburb of St Kilda. I liked the concept of TSLOU and the story plots and acting were very engaging early on. However, by the time Joel Edgerton's character Wil left in series 2, certain weak elements had entered the show and it appeared the writing was on the wall. However, series 3 held its own and the introduction of new characters in series 4 gave the series a freshness that it needed. Alexandra Schepisi Anna Torv , Stephen Curry and Brooke Harmon were just right for the final series.

I agree with a previous reviewer that Deborah Mailman's character Kelly failed to evolve and in my opinion her ingratiating busybody persona was irritating. The acting of Deborah Mailman was good, it was just that the character was not convincing and it was hard to believe that someone battling obesity could be central to the unfolding events of life in a block of flats peopled by cool young adults and the romantic focus of so many young males. Also, Sybilla Budd's character Gabrielle was rewarded with too much screen time and not enough interesting character development. Her acting grated a little and scenes with Claudia Karvan confirmed how good an actor Claudia is.

By comparison, characters played by Claudia Karvan, Abi Tucker, Joel Edgerton and Damien de Montemas grew and enriched each scenario. The character Evan Wylde was probably the one with the most potential and was indeed beautifully played by the terrific actor Samuel Johnson. But I just think the writers didn't quite know how he should relate to Claudia Karvin's Alex, and their relationship as flatmates and possible lovers never quite found its basis in believable exchanges and by the end was flagging. And when Spencer McClaren's character Ritchie made it through a life-changing crisis, it became difficult to give him much to work on after that. Even Abi Tucker's Miranda ran out of puff.

I know the show tried to cover many issues and this aspect has been criticised, but without issues in a drama, what's left? Just the minutiae of life - and we all know how interesting that is! 8/10

Used to be a really good show

Author: erinlittlewood from Newcastle, Australia
27 October 2004

I really used to enjoy 'The Secret Life of Us', it was realistic. and the characters, were interesting, complex and likable, ( with the exception of 'Ritchie'). I loved the first series, but it slowly went down hill. When it came back at the beginning of 2004, I was devastated to discover that some of my favourite characters had disappeared. I felt ripped off. I stopped watching the show after that first night, these new characters were boring and annoying. Especially the young

character 'Brooke'. I wasn't at all surprised the show was axed, in fact I was pleased, I was irritated that they expected me to just forget and dismiss all the old characters, with no explanation of where they went, or at least what

happened to them...

Brilliant

Author: nils_alenius from Sweden
8 August 2006

Just bloody brilliant!! 'The secret life of us' is an experience on another level. The characters are not only believable and lovable, they make you angry, you cry, you scream out of happiness for their sake. The speed and complexity of the stories told makes you completely focused and unable to do or think of anything else besides what is happening on the screen. Once you've seen it you won't feel the same as you did before - you will be enriched. It felt like I lost a big part of my closest friends when the series ended. I miss them a lot! It's a bit like the British series "This Life" only more Australian. It's a definite 'must see'! If you see this one (The secret life of us) and also 'This life'(which, by the way, seems absolutely impossible to get hold of on DVD) I swear you will be a happier person! See it, love it, live it!