IMDb > King of the Ring (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

King of the Ring (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A decent event with a bizarre main event

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
8 March 2009

The war between Bret Hart and Owen Hart raged on as the second annual King of the Ring PPV came along. And the big story going in here was Owen's promise to emulate his brother's achievement from the year before and win the King of the Ring. Bret in the meantime had his hands full as he put the WWE Championship on the line against Shawn Michael's gigantic bodygurard and Intercontinental Champion Diesel.

But first thing's first as we have the first round of qualifying matches with former Intercontinental Champion Razor Ramon conquering the monstrous Bam Bam Bigelow. This was a sweet little match, with Razor overcoming the giant with some quick thinking and a cool spot where he threw Bigelow off the top rope to set up the pin. Nice start.

Next up we saw Irwin R Shyster win another qualifying match in a not dissimilar, but much more under handed, way to Razor. Like Razor, IRS was facing a huge opponent in Mabel, and was able to shake the ropes, with Mabel on the turnbuckle, to send him flying into the ring awkwardly resulting in a pin. The win meant that IRS would now face Razor in the semi final.

Owen Hart was attacked by Tatanka to start the next qualifying match, but he was able to take control before eventually winning by countering a sunset flip attempt from Tatanka into a pin to get the victory. NIce little match. Owen really did have a fantastic year in 1994.

The final qualifying match saw the 1-2-3 Kid win an entertaining little match with a pretty cool counter on Jef Jarrett. Jarrett put the Kid in the figure four, but he was able to flip Jarrett into a small package to advance to the semi finals where he would face Owen Hart.

Next up came one of the big matches of the night as Bret Hart put the WWE Title on the line against Diesel. Diesel had recently won the IC Title from Razor Ramon, but only Hart's title was on the line in this match. Shawn Michaels accompanied Diesel to the ring, while Bret had his former Hart Foundation tag team partner Jim Neidhart in his corner. Hart and Diesel wrestled a fine match, which looked to be nearing its end when Bret put Diesel in the sharpshooter, but the 7 foot giant reached the ropes and Bret had to release the hold. Hart was then jumped by Michaels and knocked down, allowing Diesel to hit the jack knife powerbomb. Neidhart then came into the ring, slugging Diesel and getting Hart disqualified to save his title. Isn't that nice of him? But he went from friend to enemy after that, leaving Hart in the ring on his own to get double teamed by Diesel and Michaels.

This was followed by the King of the Ring Semi Finals. In the first semi Razor Ramon proved too strong for IRS, escaping a chin lock to hit the Razor's edge for the win. Not a bad match, but for the second time in the night it started with an attack outside the ring, this time it was Razor getting stuck into IRS.

And we weren't finished with the pre match beatdowns as Owen hart got in on the act too in his match against the 1-2-3 Kid. They have a nice little squash match, won by Owen with the sharpshooter. Probably a little unfair to call this a squash as the Kid did control roughly a quarter of the match.

The next match saw the Headshrinkers retain the WWE Tag Team Titles against Mr Fuji's evil duo of former WWE Champion Yokozuna and Crush. Fuji tried to get in on the match, hitting Samu with the Japanese flag, but Fatu was there to get the pin and foil Fuji again. 1994 had not been a good year for Fuji at this stage. His biggest asset Yokozuna had lost the WWE Titles and two of his monsters had filed to get the tag belts here. A big addition is necessary I reckon.

Following this is the penultimate match of the night, the King of the Ring final. Razor Ramon vs Owen Hart and the pair put on a good back and forth wrestling match until Jim Neidhard, who'd evilly left Bret Hart to a beating earlier in the night, came out and assaulted Razor. Hart picked up the pin and so had done what he'd promised to and won the King of the Ring. He proclaimed himself the King of Hart's as Neidhart celebrated with him. The Bret/ Owen sibling rivalry had now become a family war! Finally comes the main event which saw WWE legend Roddy Piper defeat Jerry Lawler. Lawler had assaulted a fan in the build up to the match and he stood at ringside and helped Piper win by pointing out Lawler cheating by putting his feet on the ropes during a pin attempt.

So a nice little show. Strange main event, but it set up Summerslam rather well with the Hart brothers on a collision course.

Oh no, Piper is back....

Author: amanwhorocks from Czech Republic
26 August 2013

1. KoR: Bam Bam Bigelow Vs. Razor Ramon - Match better than average 6.5/10

2. KoR: I.R.S. Vs. Mabel - Weaker match but I'm glad, that I.R.S. get advanced 5.5/10

3. KoR: Tatanka Vs. Owen Hart - Average match because of that jerk Tatarka. 5.5/10

4. KoR: 1-2-3 "Mullet" Kid Vs. Double J - Speedy match. 6/10

5. WWF Heavyweight Title Match: Diesel (IC Champ) Vs. Champ-Bret Hart - Diesel is stiff, even wasn't able to catch Hart when he had jumped from turnbuckle. Match was kind' slow. Nothing special . The end was better, but DQ. 5.5/10

6. Semi-KoR: I.R.S. Vs. Razor Ramon 6/10

7. Semi-KoR: 1-2-3 Kid Vs. Owen Hart 6.5/10

8. WWF Tag Team Titles Match: Yokozuna/Crush Vs. Champs-Head Shrinkers. Champs retains. 5.5/10

9. FinalKoR: Razor Ramon Vs. Owen Hart - Yeah, I thought Ramon will win, I'm really surprised. Great King. 6/10

10. Jerry Lawler Vs. Pajpá - Worst match of the evening however. Non-wrestler aka "Punch" Rod didn't forget eye poke and cheap shots. After 15 minutes of suffering, this terrible match finally ended. Pajpá was the winner, of course. 3/10

Aside from the outstanding WWF title match, this is a pretty average event.

Author: callanvass
27 February 2010

King Of The Ring 1994 is pretty low-budget stuff, but that's not why it's average. WWE didn't have the talent at this time, to be as big as it once was. WCW was on the rise, slowly starting to take over the ratings, and Vince and Co were desperately trying to survive. I agreed with the winner in Owen Hart, and the shocking turn by Jim Neidhart was a good switch. The announcing tandem is terrible though. Gorilla and Savage do alright, but Art Donovan makes a mess of things. The announcers got so annoyed at him, they ended up ignoring him half the time.

Quarter Final's. Razor Ramon Vs Bam Bam Bigelow. Not bad at all actually. Some pretty decent spots when all was said and done, and I liked how it ended. Razor wins, when he throws down Bigelow from the top turnbuckle, and rolls him up.

2 1/2 /5

I.R.S Vs Mabel. Kinda awkward to say the least, but not as bad as I thought. Mabel is pretty agile for a big man, but the way it ended was kinda silly. I.R.S wins when Mabel slips off the turnbuckle.

1 1/2 /5

Owen Hart Vs Tatanka. Some Owen fans are definitely in attendance. Pretty good little match here, I always found Tatanka to be underrated. These two never stopped from the get-go, and provided us with a nice little match. Owen Hart wins with a reversal move.

The 123 Kid Vs Jeff Jarrett. For a 4 minute match, this was pretty decent. Lots of cool stuff. I've never discredited Sean for his abilities, just his idiotic actions. 123 Kid wins, and afterwords Jeff eradicates him so to speak.

2 1/2 /5

Semi Finals. Razor Ramon Vs I.R.S. The epitome of average here. Didn't hurt anything, but it didn't wow in any one area. Razor wins, with The Razor's edge.

Owen Hart Vs 1 2 3 Kid. The announcers play it up as if The Kid has the biggest guts in the world. Very short, but some very exciting spots. If these two had the time, they could put on a classic for sure. Owen advances.

WWF Tag Team Championship Headshrinkers|C| Vs Yokozuna&Crush. Pretty average tag match up here, with a couple of OK spots. Kind of an odd combination too. Shrinkers retain, when Luger interferes.

King Of The Ring Final. Owen Hart vs Razor Ramon. Good match, but ended too quickly in my opinion. If Razor could really go with Bret, he could certainly do the same with Owen. Owen wins, due to Anvil interference. Owen claims he's The King Of Harts, after the match.

WWF Championship.

Bret Hart|C|/ W The Anvil Vs Diesel/W HBK. An underrated classic, and they had another at Survivor Series 1995. This was The Anvil's big return, and played an interesting factor in the match. This is what Kevin Nash is like, when he's truly motivated. These two went all out, and I was amazed by how exciting it was. Diesel wins by DQ, after Neidhart screws Bret.

Roddy Piper Vs Jerry Lawler. Big pop for Rowdy. God awful match, played for Comedy, and brawling more than anything else. Rowdy is capable when he wants to be, but he didn't look that motivated here. Crowd liked it, but I was bored silly. Roddy wins, with a sloppy suplex roll up.

Bottom line. Aside from a classic WWF title defense, and a few bright spots, this is very average stuff. WWF had a lot of that during these days, with a crowd full of kids, similar to like now. Worth a check if you can find it, but that's about it, the re-watch value is very slim