IMDb > Bleacher Bums (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bleacher Bums (TV) More at IMDbPro »

It's better the second time

Author: Raleigh-7 from London, Ontario, Canada
18 April 2002

Watching it a second time proved to me it was even better than the 1st time. All the pieces of the picture seemed to move so easily into place. Showtime should be proud to have had this movie produced. Wonderful to watch the change in the characters over the time of the game;ie the acceptance of Melody by the group and interplay between Greg and Melody and she now feels accepted by the group and will return tomorrow to see the 2nd baseball game of her life.

Unexpectedly good

Author: Raleigh-7 from London, Ontario, Canada
8 April 2002

Having nothing to watch on TV that looked good, my wife and I picked this movie as it had Peter Riegert ,who we like, in it. It was so entertaining we stayed up till after 1 PM to see it to the end. If you really enjoy people-watching you will really enjoy this film. Saw it last night on Showtime. Surprizing so much could be put in a film lasting as long as a nine inning game. Loved the different characters in it.

Barf!!!

Author: davlin01 from Chicago IL
23 July 2003

I as an ex-bleacher bum from the late 60's and early 70's. Thought that this movie was a piece of garbage. The movie took place in the right field bleachers when the real bleacher bums were in left field.

The producers of the movie tried to make the ball park look like Wrigley Field...no cigar. The scoreboard and the ivy looked a little too phony, and the inside of the park didn't look anything like Wrigley.

The characters in the movie were very uninteresting. Wayne Knight couldn't even save this bomb.

As an old Bleacher Bum and a Cubs fan I am insulted.

The worst.....

Author: show_prep from Illinois, USA
24 April 2003

This quite possibly is the worst movie I have ever seen. I found it with some bargain bin DVD's, and now I know why. I am even a HUGE baseball fan, and hated it. The only 2 things worth seeing about this movie come in the first 15 minutes of the film. You see Sarain Boylan in a skimpy top, and you see them make up 2 ficticious teams out of 2 real teams. The St. Louis Cardinals are transformed into the "St. Louis Eagles" complete with a Mark McGwire substitute "Mike McGuinn". Same goes for the Chicago Cubs. They become the "Chicago Bruins" with a Sammy Sosa wannabe "Manny Mosa". If anyone wants to buy a used (watched once) DVD of this movie despite numerous poor reviews from IMDb users, let me know. I'll sell you mine... CHEAP! 1/2 out of 5 stars.

A Satellite Dish Delight!

Author: T.J. Lillis (PistolPez0516@yahoo.com) from Grand Rapids, MI
11 May 2003

Yello, ever-hopeful die-hard Chicago Cubs fan here.

Finally, a movie "loosely-inspired" by my beloved Scrubbies. This made-for-tv flick is a surprising winner in the end. It features some second-rate television celebrities ("Hello, Newman") and great writing. Too bad they couldn't get the blessings of MLB. The "Bruins" sounds funny every time they say it. But otherwise, the characters are developed well and it ends with some imaginative twists. My take: if you see it listed on some movie channel, curl up and enjoy.

Final Grade: a loosely-inspired 7 out of 10.

Watered Down Version

Author: zsenorsock from Argentina
7 November 2006

I LOVE the original version of "Bleacher Bums". I saw it in Chicago with Dennis Franz and Joe Mantagnea. I've seen several other versions since then. I've loved them all, with their various differences in cast and performances. However, I HATED this adaptation.

The story is so entwined with Chicago and Wrigley Field if you can't shoot in Wrigley Field (or even America!) and you can't use the names of the actual players and the teams (St. Louis Eagles? Come on!) then DON'T make the movie. It's as if they made a movie about the team that plays in Fenway and called them the Beantown Belters and their arch rival the Gotham Goblins and shot it in Hong Kong...this is a miserable adaptation of a great play. And it has the WORST "Talk Soup" host ever, Hal Sparks.

Avoid it if at all possible.

Great Topic, Disappointed in Delivery

Author: zdawg41 from Los Angeles, CA
4 June 2002

I am a big baseball fan, so I forced myself to sit through the whole thing. This movie was very slow and it completely lost my attention. The combination of a strong cast and great original material (taken from the play) should have equaled a fun movie, since it did not I am lead to believe the Screen Writers/Editors/Producers were extremely weak. I do not recommend that you waste your evening on this movie.

All this film has is heart!

Author: Maurice_Rodney from California Central Coast
5 May 2002

All it needs is watching. The actors are uniformly good, and the chemistry feels genuine. The writers provide a broad sampling of the human experience in the microcosm of one small section of Wrigley Field. The die-hard fans are accustomed to having their hearts broken by the Cubs. That seems to have created some emotional calluses. This story is about how the addition of a new member shakes the group out of its doldrums. The interloper is a babe in the woods who simply loves baseball for the game itself. I know. This is shocking! It has that same effect on "the regulars". They do not know how to relate to someone who cheers for a well-turned play by the visiting team. She brings the fresh perspective of some one who remembers that it is a children's game, and that it is supposed to be fun! She is a splash of cold water that shakes them out of their entrenched cynicism, and forces them to see their game with fresh eyes. This is good stuff.

Garbage!!!

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
8 April 2002

Stupid, boring, and a complete waste of time. PU! This thing was awful. It is possible that baseball fans might find something to enjoy in this loser. However, I don't like baseball and could only stomach about half this flick so I did the Tivo fast-forward thing and estimated the rest was as bad as the first.

Yes it was a bad movie but HEY...I was in it!

Author: g_raimondo from Canada
15 January 2007

I was actually an extra in this movie and didn't get to see the finished product until much later. The movie was not great, that's true but after some research I found that this movie is based on a play and I think performing this show on stage may give it the endearing quality it lacks on screen. I spent 2 weeks in 2001 working on this movie. The direction was very good considering the seeming lack of budget that was present at the time. It was actually filmed at Varsity Stadium in Toronto and it was a blistering summer. I walked away as an extra earning my 8 dollars an hour and at the ame time feeling a proud and a new respect for all the extras in the movie industry.