IMDb > Bleacher Bums (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bleacher Bums (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Author: Bob Sled from United States
28 July 2004

This movie is funny. I wish the guys that sat in the same section at the ballpark as me were as great as this cast played these characters. They heckle the opposition, they have their riffs with one another, and they have their friendships.

I found this at my local Wal-Mart in the cheap DVD bin and it is one of my best deals I have ever gotten on a movie. I picked this up for two reasons, one I am a huge Brad Garrett fan and two, I have been a baseball fan since the day I was born.

This was a very well done made for TV movie. This introduced me to Hal Sparks who's character you can't help but feel sorry for. This is a must see movie for any sports fan but especially baseball, for he/she has probably been one of these character or has been around these characters at the sporting event that they attended.

Sweet, Funny and Heartbreaking...Just like the Cubs

Author: Bill Bowers (billbowers93059) from Conover, NC, USA
19 July 2003

Yes, I know the team in the movie is the Chicago Bruins but you just know it's the Cubs. This is a good movie although not a good baseball movie. A little too cliche' and a few too many errors (pitcher not pitching from the rubber, players changing position, bad baseball skills. etc.) to be a good baseball movie. But a good character study with a great ensemble cast. The couple who fight over the betting, the estranged father and son who came back together, the blind man and the bimbo with a heart of gold and of course, the wacko fanatic played with a lot of zesto by Stephen Markle. A baseball fan will probably enjoy it most but it's still a good movie to watch on a rainy Saturday afternoon when the Cubbies (or your local team) has been rained out.

no Oscars, but enjoyable

Author: bsl05 from Dallas, TX
29 July 2003

I could see how someone may not like this movie at all, but I thought it was enjoyable. It was borderline, not quite good yet quirky enough to be "good enough." As a big baseball fan I wish I could have this sort of life - just go to ballpark and hang out with people who I may or may not know and have a good time. 7/10

Nice Ensemble Piece

Author: Schlockmeister from Midnight Movie Land
7 April 2002

It is clear that this was based on a play. The scenes are set in the bleachers of a "Chicago Bruins" baseball game during the course of a single game. This movie is a testament to team loyalty as well as loyalty to friends and the comradery of groups. Anyone who has spent much time at baseball games will recognoze some of the characters here. For me the rabid fan cheerleader steals the show, he spices the movie up just as he intends to spice the game up. I found myself rooting for him more than for the team. Nice ensemble piece. Would be interesting to see or read this plays script to see how it was originally set up for stage. If you like baseball or like well scripted movies, you wil enjoy this.

I enjoyed it.

Author: Jin-Roh_Brigade from United States
27 December 2004

I would totally have to disagree with the guy above. He is speaking of a narrow path way of vision. I do not think he grasps the idea that the director was going for,I don't know what it was with this movie, but I found it very interesting to me. I enjoyed most of it... even though at times I was thinking "oh boy." There are many immature moments in the movie, but then baseball fans would know how it is really like in the stands. I mean, you can almost relate to everything u see, as if you have already seen it before at a game. The lead roll is played decently, but not perfectly. I see flaws in the movie, but then the point, to me, is very good. Overall, I guess you need to watch it to know if you like it or not.

What sports movies are all about!

Author: buttyfrench from Cromosden, CA
29 July 2003

This movie captures the world of the baseball fan in perfect detail. The characters are full of personality and the acting is superb. If you have ever gone to support a ball team for more than one season, then you will identify with this movie. Wyne Knight is hilarious and Jeff Lazlo is great as the female impersonater, Melody. Just sit back and enjoy the action of baseball. The game reenactments are first rate and look for a cameo by one of the writers, Frank Sinatra, Jr.! Watching this movie makes me want a hot dog and a beer!

It's better the second time

Author: Raleigh-7 from London, Ontario, Canada
18 April 2002

Watching it a second time proved to me it was even better than the 1st time. All the pieces of the picture seemed to move so easily into place. Showtime should be proud to have had this movie produced. Wonderful to watch the change in the characters over the time of the game;ie the acceptance of Melody by the group and interplay between Greg and Melody and she now feels accepted by the group and will return tomorrow to see the 2nd baseball game of her life.

Unexpectedly good

Author: Raleigh-7 from London, Ontario, Canada
8 April 2002

Having nothing to watch on TV that looked good, my wife and I picked this movie as it had Peter Riegert ,who we like, in it. It was so entertaining we stayed up till after 1 PM to see it to the end. If you really enjoy people-watching you will really enjoy this film. Saw it last night on Showtime. Surprizing so much could be put in a film lasting as long as a nine inning game. Loved the different characters in it.

The worst.....

Author: show_prep from Illinois, USA
24 April 2003

This quite possibly is the worst movie I have ever seen. I found it with some bargain bin DVD's, and now I know why. I am even a HUGE baseball fan, and hated it. The only 2 things worth seeing about this movie come in the first 15 minutes of the film. You see Sarain Boylan in a skimpy top, and you see them make up 2 ficticious teams out of 2 real teams. The St. Louis Cardinals are transformed into the "St. Louis Eagles" complete with a Mark McGwire substitute "Mike McGuinn". Same goes for the Chicago Cubs. They become the "Chicago Bruins" with a Sammy Sosa wannabe "Manny Mosa". If anyone wants to buy a used (watched once) DVD of this movie despite numerous poor reviews from IMDb users, let me know. I'll sell you mine... CHEAP! 1/2 out of 5 stars.

A Satellite Dish Delight!

Author: T.J. Lillis (PistolPez0516@yahoo.com) from Grand Rapids, MI
11 May 2003

Yello, ever-hopeful die-hard Chicago Cubs fan here.

Finally, a movie "loosely-inspired" by my beloved Scrubbies. This made-for-tv flick is a surprising winner in the end. It features some second-rate television celebrities ("Hello, Newman") and great writing. Too bad they couldn't get the blessings of MLB. The "Bruins" sounds funny every time they say it. But otherwise, the characters are developed well and it ends with some imaginative twists. My take: if you see it listed on some movie channel, curl up and enjoy.

Final Grade: a loosely-inspired 7 out of 10.