IMDb > Chasing Kevin (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Chasing Kevin More at IMDbPro »

Chasing Kevin - a decade and more later

Author: TunnelofGloves from United States
17 August 2001

When I reviewed this short back in 2001 my review was very favorable; but, 13 years years later I don't think it holds up as well as I remembered. One thing you have to give this credit for is that it pre- dates YouTube culture by five or six years. Back then to make this kind of short, upload it, and get people to watch was a different thing than it is today. These kind of reference-specific parodies are all over the web nowadays but for the makers of 'Chasing Kevin' it was an admirable accomplishment and that alone makes it an interesting watch today.

The short itself is funny, both than and now, but now suffers from seemingly long stretches with no jokes and its being solely of interest to Kevin Smith fans. Back in 2001 I was a big fan of Smith so this short film hit all the right cords for me. But, most of the jokes in the first half require in depth recall of Smith's first three movies and it is definitely missing something otherwise.

In 2001 I compared it to George Lucas in Love (1999), but that short ages better because it is technically better looking and had a tight, meticulous script. Chasing Kevin has some good writing, but its faux- documentary style seems to feature some improving by actors (maybe these scenes were written, but don't feel like it) which causes it to stagnate in parts.

The part that holds up a little better is the second half of the short when the faux-doc format suddenly ends and it becomes a regular narrative. I remember thinking it was a clever and unique transition at the time and I still think so. In fact I never saw the same idea in a movie until District 9 (2009). The other people who were also obsessed with other 90s indie directors was a funny idea and I think it still says something about obsessive film students and fans today.

Great Homage

Author: dasxxii from NY
28 December 2001

This film is an incredibly quirky and fun homage to independent filmmaker Kevin Smith. Upon viewing it, you can immediately tell that Appell and Krammer had a great time writing, directing and starring in their own film because it shows. The fact that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes made cameos says a lot about their characters as well. In closing, the Tarantino fanatic in the end was a panic and has a huge future in stand-up comedy and super model virgins.

I'm not REALLY that bad, am I?

Author: 37 from Alberta, Canada
28 January 2006

I watched this flick about 37 seconds ago and I am surprised at how well done this is considering it's an homage piece. Not overdone nor overacted. The filmmakers are obviously fans, and the dialog is very Kevin-esquire. I would recommend this film to any View Askew follower. I want to go to the Quick Stop like it's Mecca, so to see it in the film makes it the icing on the cake.

This film was a winner of the Long Island International Film Expo and I can see why. Great job and I look forward to more films from Randy and Scott; especially if they are follow-ups of the other "Jersey Trilogy" movies.

a master director in the making....

Author: nparris1
25 January 2002

scott kramer has all the makings of a great director, with a fresh voice that comes along in Hollywood only a few times each month. Watch his film and cry, laugh, and skip for joy as he takes you through the gamut of emotions you yourself haven't felt since kindergarten finger painting when you were partnered up with the drippy-nosed slappy sue. Oh, sweet slappy sue...I miss you....

Not worth 'chasing'

Author: Christopher Smith
4 October 2001

I saw this for two reasons. The first reason is because I'm a big Kevin Smith fan and this was about a guy who loves Kevin Smith [like me] and the second reason I saw it was because Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes were in it. While it had its moments, CHASING KEVIN is still a mess. The main character seemed a little on the crazy side, the plot was thin even for a 21 minute short, and the appearances of Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith don't really make up for it either. Kevin Smith will be disappointed.

Realistic for a while

Author: Pavan-3 from Hong Kong
3 October 2001

I actually thought it was a real documentary, right until the part where they have the 'Filmmakers Ward' at the psychiatric hospital. Would've been more interesting if they actually got rid of the end, and put a more believable one on.