IMDb > Chasing Kevin (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Chasing Kevin More at IMDbPro »

Chasing Kevin - a decade and more later

Author: TunnelofGloves from United States
17 August 2001

When I reviewed this short back in 2001 my review was very favorable; but, 13 years years later I don't think it holds up as well as I remembered. One thing you have to give this credit for is that it pre- dates YouTube culture by five or six years. Back then to make this kind of short, upload it, and get people to watch was a different thing than it is today. These kind of reference-specific parodies are all over the web nowadays but for the makers of 'Chasing Kevin' it was an admirable accomplishment and that alone makes it an interesting watch today.

The short itself is funny, both than and now, but now suffers from seemingly long stretches with no jokes and its being solely of interest to Kevin Smith fans. Back in 2001 I was a big fan of Smith so this short film hit all the right cords for me. But, most of the jokes in the first half require in depth recall of Smith's first three movies and it is definitely missing something otherwise.

In 2001 I compared it to George Lucas in Love (1999), but that short ages better because it is technically better looking and had a tight, meticulous script. Chasing Kevin has some good writing, but its faux- documentary style seems to feature some improving by actors (maybe these scenes were written, but don't feel like it) which causes it to stagnate in parts.

The part that holds up a little better is the second half of the short when the faux-doc format suddenly ends and it becomes a regular narrative. I remember thinking it was a clever and unique transition at the time and I still think so. In fact I never saw the same idea in a movie until District 9 (2009). The other people who were also obsessed with other 90s indie directors was a funny idea and I think it still says something about obsessive film students and fans today.

Great Homage

Author: dasxxii from NY
28 December 2001

This film is an incredibly quirky and fun homage to independent filmmaker Kevin Smith. Upon viewing it, you can immediately tell that Appell and Krammer had a great time writing, directing and starring in their own film because it shows. The fact that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes made cameos says a lot about their characters as well. In closing, the Tarantino fanatic in the end was a panic and has a huge future in stand-up comedy and super model virgins.

I'm not REALLY that bad, am I?

Author: 37 from Alberta, Canada
28 January 2006

I watched this flick about 37 seconds ago and I am surprised at how well done this is considering it's an homage piece. Not overdone nor overacted. The filmmakers are obviously fans, and the dialog is very Kevin-esquire. I would recommend this film to any View Askew follower. I want to go to the Quick Stop like it's Mecca, so to see it in the film makes it the icing on the cake.

This film was a winner of the Long Island International Film Expo and I can see why. Great job and I look forward to more films from Randy and Scott; especially if they are follow-ups of the other "Jersey Trilogy" movies.

Mild Entertainment for Kevin Smith Fans

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
4 August 2016

Chasing Kevin (2000)

** (out of 4)

Randy Appell and Scott S. Kramer play themselves, filmmakers obsessed with Kevin Smith. Scott plans to be the next Smith and we see how his obsession grew to the point of making a film called EMPLOYEES and how he traveled to New Jersey to try and meet his icon.

This short film deserves a lot of credit in on way. These types of do-it-yourself films really weren't all too common back in the day so I give the filmmakers credit for actually going out and making such a film. The only problem is that no one other than Kevin Smith fans are going to get any sort of entertainment out of it. Perhaps that's a good thing?

The film is basically a fake documentary of watching these two guys try to become the next Kevin Smith and this includes a failed meeting (a homage to THE KING OF COMEDY?) as well as a couple other scenes that borrow from not only Smith but also Quentin Tarantino.

CHASING KEVIN isn't the greatest movie ever made but it's certainly mildly entertaining as long as you know what you're getting into. One wishes that there had been more jokes or at least bigger laughs but Smith fans will find it worth watching at least once.

a master director in the making....

Author: nparris1
25 January 2002

scott kramer has all the makings of a great director, with a fresh voice that comes along in Hollywood only a few times each month. Watch his film and cry, laugh, and skip for joy as he takes you through the gamut of emotions you yourself haven't felt since kindergarten finger painting when you were partnered up with the drippy-nosed slappy sue. Oh, sweet slappy sue...I miss you....

Realistic for a while

Author: Pavan-3 from Hong Kong
3 October 2001

I actually thought it was a real documentary, right until the part where they have the 'Filmmakers Ward' at the psychiatric hospital. Would've been more interesting if they actually got rid of the end, and put a more believable one on.