IMDb > Arthur's Dyke (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Arthur's Dyke More at IMDbPro »

Classic British comedy

Author: Richard Foster from England
19 September 2004

I absolute love this film. It is so real. I can just imagine meeting all those characters on a similar walk.

Despite what the previous poster said, the ending is fantastic. They haven't reached the end of the walk physically, but they have emotionally. Old feelings have been addressed and present problems are being faced.

It is basically an extension of a TV-type programme, budget-wise etc. But so what? Perhaps a Hollywood-remake set in the Rocky mountains, with Colin Farrell and Keira Knightley, might please the previous critic....

But in the meantime, I would like to recommend a low-budget, little-known, 100% British Classic.

An experienced overview based on personal experience

Author: Chris (theibm) from Dunedin New Zedaland
14 April 2003

A fine and classically accurate representation of country hikes in the UK. I have a lot of experience of such walks and consider this movie a definite five star effort. Warren Clarke was superb. I am STILL laughing!

It made me feel quite homesick.

I was surprised at the negative comments in one of the other reviews, obviously written by someone who has never gone past the end of the street!

Great Movie

Author: flick1-1 from England
19 May 2005

A road trip with a difference. This film superbly charts the lives of 3 students who meet again after 20 years to conquer a long distance walk. Along the way they pick up a middle aged Pauline Quirke, who wants to leave the drudgery of her life and find something to give her a jolt. The cast is cast brilliantly, Robert Daws plays the obnoxious Arthur to great effect, bullying the others along. He tries desperately to relive his younger days, attempting to sleep with any woman that passes his way. This movie will appeal to Uk fans and lovers of great story lines alike. The ending may appear a little strange but works well with the story that had unfolded throughout.

Despite the negative comments, I liked it.

Author: Michael Lawrie from Cambridge, UK
29 April 2003

It seems odd to see so many negative comments about this film - Maybe the people who watched it were expecting something more like "Cliffhanger".

This is one of those quirky films that the British do very well - It's not hugely about anything, though in some ways it's a "coming of age" movie for people who have already come of age. I have nothing else to add about the plot, that has been covered in other reviews but if you want to watch a nice film that is very British and possibly requires quite a subtle sense of humour at times to appreciate (though other times, not so subtle; we still stereotype Swedes better than they do!).

Meandering but has it's moments

Author: squareeyes from Glasgow, Scotland
1 November 2004

Nice lightweight late night BBC film with a lot of familiar UK television faces such as the ever reliable Robert Daws . Could have done with more of Brian Conley as Pauline Quirke's unfaithful husband . His insensitive oafs are always a laugh . Check him out as Doug Digby , the bullying PE teacher in The Grimleys , an overlooked UK comedy of a few years back .

The scenery is , of course marvelous . Could be a tourist ad for Wales. Arthur's (or Offa's ) Dyke is spectacular . Two highpoints , for the " lads " are the almost Carry On scenes with Ellie Beaven and Rebecca Lacey . Gratuitous but fun . Worth seeing .

Quaint English comedy

Author: dshesketh
21 December 2013

Lovely little film. Makes me want to get out hike like I used to. Something I wished I had done years ago with my old mates. Great performance by Pauline Quirke even though I'm not really a great fan of hers. Dennis Waterman was great to watch as usual Stunning scenery and some very funny moments. I do have to admit the character of Arthur seemed a bit to rude at times but guess that's what makes the unfortunate events he has to endure seem funnier. I thought the story line was very entertaining and would recommend this film. I do wish they had made it to the end as for me it seems a little unfinished.

Off out tomorrow to buy the DVD.

Shamefully assembled.

Author: (lord_seagrave@totalise.co.uk) from London, England
25 February 2003

In spite of an humourous and interesting summary, Arthur's Dyke failed to sustain either humour or interest for any length of time. There are moments of well-observed comedy, but it looks and feels like an extended Sunday night drama - although overly long and disappointingly shallow.

The film attempts to incorporate too much (neglect, terminal illness, ignorance, regret, homophobia etc) and is tarnished by a pointless cameo from Dennis Waterman. The story is potentially good, but let down in execution because insufficient time and depth is afforded to the key areas of the plot, and the cluttering of other (crassly inserted) issues.

Having said that, it is well shot and occassionally witty, and Quirke's performance is solid. The viewer will, however, gain more from an average episode of 'Down to Earth'.

hit or miss

Author: trvwatson from london
26 September 2003

If you like to see films with beautiful landscapes elegant villages, and wooded forest, then this is a good film for you, but take away that and your left with really nothing, the characters were fine but should have been given more depth, and at the end when Pauline quirke decided to leave her annoying but loverble sidekicks, left me just thinking, what about there sticking together, i know one was taken to hospital, but it ruined for me what i thought was a journey of friendship and understanding for each other, but i was left thinking that Pauline's character was a bit cold Pauline quirke gives her usual sulky sarcastic performance, as always, and the others are just watchable, i think this film only pulled through due to the surroundings of where it was filmed, A hit or miss

Tourism TV

Author: clevelander from North East England
24 August 2003

This British (very) light comedy, is a conventional modern Pilgrims Progress that attempts to do for the Offa's Dyke long-distance walking path what "Shirley Valentine" did for Greece and "Educating Rita" did for the Open University.

The cluster of UK TV-hits acting talent did their best with the script, but ultimately were unable to get past the contemporary clichés and cardboard characterisations. Since the star was meant to be the landscape and a flavour of how nice it is to walk through the English/Welsh Countryside, the director should have gone the whole hog and treated us to the best spectacle the location has to offer. However, the shots are fine enough, authentic and evocative, and that's what kept me awake late at night watching it right through to the end. And the message of the story - that I have turned into a TV/computer couch-potato, managed to hit home.

Just for the record, Offa's Dyke was the Anglo-Saxon equivalent of the Berlin Wall, (or, to be more up to date, the Palestine Wall.) It is 180 miles long, and built by Offa, King of Mercia, in the latter half of the 8th century to separate the Welsh from the English. Today it winds through English and Welsh Counties, thus one gets a bit of both, which the film conveys.

I wanted to give it 5.5 heading for 6 by my scoring method, but for some reason I settled on 5, probably through feeling embarrassed for the competent team of actors, and the UK comedy industry as a whole.

Nice location, but dull

Author: Afracious from England
10 June 2002

I watched this film because I have recently returned from visiting the Offa's Dyke Information Centre in Prestatyn. I have an interest in the ancient path. Unfortunately the film isn't interesting enough. The story follows three chaps who previously walked along the route during their university days, and twenty years later they attempt to do it again. Meanwhile, housewife Janet (Pauline Quirke) wants to walk the path, too, but her ignorant husband (Brian Conley) isn't interested in her or what she wants. So Janet decides to set off on her own. The three chaps are Arthur, the loud, obnoxious womaniser; Geoffrey, the rich businessman who takes his laptop and mobile on the trip; and Andy, the quieter one who has a disease and hasn't long to live. Janet meets the fellows and we follow the four of them. Throw into the mix Dennis Waterman has a private investigator, two Swedish lady walkers, a woman who stalks Geoffrey and demands him to impregnate her, a twitcher who dies, a bar of rowdy squaddies and a country Western dance, and it might sound appealing and lively, but somehow it isn't. It ultimately feels vacuous. I think the running time of 106 minutes is too long. This would have worked better has a one-hour TV programme.