IMDb > The Medallion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Medallion

The Medallion More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

One Bad Movie, One Historical Kiss !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
28 September 2007

I think a lot of people hated this movie (and believe me, millions will !) and no one maybe knew that the main reason of hatred comes from this quintet's errors ! OH MY GOD the 5 writers of the screenplay absolutely didn't care for presenting a fantasy had its own solid logic, or building a good connections between the scenes, or anything we remember after watching with feeling of respecting the movie or ourselves ! Except that we watched a simpleton emaciated work.

The plot is so weak. You'll hate it more when you love it in the beginning then, as we all did, feel the deception after. So it's a situation of nice idea turned into a hasty poor thing ! You'll find yourself asking questions like : did (Jackie Chan) and his girl just die at the end ?!, and to where exactly they was running ?? To heaven ? Or to cash their money for being in this ? And why they're making money out of trashy work like this and we don't ?!! To tell you the truth we are the idiots who pay money for seeing this to have nothing at all, so we are the perfect losers ! See.. This is the kind of questions this movie makes you ask yourself after watching !!

Another catastrophe : the action scenes ! (Another OH MY GOD !). You know as I know as we all know that the fine action is the basic good thing you'll ever get from a (Jackie Chan)'s movie, with some brisk comedy of course. BUT HERE it's obviously spurious and excitedly provocative with all of those silly wires which they hanged (Jackie) with all the time ! They, the American producers, are just so apprehensive of anything bad would ever happen to the profiteer Asian star, totally forgetting that his bold merry jobs as one of the cinema greatest clowns are the main reason for his global success. So they misused him and haired stunts for him to ruin the man's own legend which had been based on his no need for a stunt and his realistic action ventures ! But this time, as well as most of his last American movies, the legend is nearly destroyed, the action that we always expect and deliver is irritatingly phony, and the Man is hanged by stupid weirs (hanged indeed !).

So the result would be : a nice idea transformed into a fine trauma ! + a supposed to be nice action turned into fake thing + a great icon making a goof of himself (Like it's a parody of Jackie Chan by Jackie Chan !). Nevertheless this movie had 3 high points..

One is the sweet presence of (Claire Forlani). She got fascinating tender features. However the script gave her nothing to do except smiling !! Although this could be a very beautiful thing to watch, but when it repeated, it became meaningless and boring act which made us remind the old performance of the silent movies !

The second point : this movie includes a real rare event maybe you'll find it in history books after (and I'm not kidding !). There is actually a kiss between the Asian actor and the non-Asian actress; this is HUGE as well as historical because there was always (and I mean ALWAYS !) this unspoken objection about a love scene or even a simple kiss between an Asian and an American or European human being !! And the examples for that are quite endless. It was strangely prohibitive and made a lot of fuss about Hollywood's real and old sense of racism. But this movie, which is produced by Hong Kong & USA, DID IT in surprising precedent, to give itself one reason to livelong in addition to its Ritzy Razzie condition !

The third and the last good thing about this movie is being less worse than another flashy yet unfruitful American movie by (Jackie Chan) also from the same time named (Tuxedo) which you must thank God if you didn't watch it till now !

P.S : when the British officer, who hides his reality as a secret agent on his wife, discovered that this very wife is another secret agent who was trained for killing, hiding that fact on him ! You'll see extraordinary resemblance with (Mr. and Mrs. Smith – 2005) ! And the similarity is just outstanding when in one scene of (The Medallion) the wife was shooting in the house and stopped to ask her husband softly with the machine gun in her hands "Are You Fine Baby ?" because there is unbelievably almost identical scene from (Mr. and Mrs. ..) of which you could watch in its trailer.. but 2 years later !.. Just ????

I had to turn it off!

Author: nettminder from USA
17 April 2004

This was just a bad movie. It reeks! I turned it off with about 40 minutes left. The action was boring. It felt like I was watching a bad movie from the early 80's. Avoid it! Even if you are a Jackie Chan fan, avoid it! Why do the movie gurus even put this stuff on film? Probably because they know an idiot like me might give it a chance and check it out. They obviously could have done a better job from the ground up. Watch Shangai Noon or something if you need a Jackie Chan fix. I don't even think I saw Claire Forlani in the movie before I turned it off. My wife was so happy when I said the words "ok, let us turn this poor thing off". It burns my buns that movies like this still get the time of day to see actual filming.

Jackie Chan goes to Hollywood... again.

Author: Sznfctm (Sznfctm@fw.hu) from Budapest, Hungary
1 February 2004

I never really liked Jackie Chan: his movies were full of the same fighting scenes, where he used all kinds of props to defeat adversaries - not really my kind of a movie, and moreover, it was boring as hell after a time. But recently - he's getting better and better.

The Tuxedo, as one of his better films, perhaps was not serious enough for hardcore Jackie-fans, as it was more like a comedy with some special effects than the usual stun-Jackie stuff. While the Tux were a little boring, it started to make Jackie a hollywood action/comedy hero. In The Medallion, it gets all better.

Okay, let's not overrate the movie: it was a comedy/action/adventure film with a fair story (enough for a background, too little for a real adventure) and directing, as well as great stunts and - fortunately - only a bit of prop-fighting from Jackie (fans don't hate me please, at least it was very-very entertaining this way), and a great deal of supporting roles (cliches, I give you that, but superbly played anyway). Claire Forlani gave her best, Julian Sands reminisced his warlock-movies, and... well, John Rhys-Davies should've played a bigger role.

Overall, this movie showed something from the future of Jackie, making comedies with stunts instead of fight movies. I recommend this movie to those who prefer a fairly light action-comedy. Those who didn't like the Tuxedo, or Jackie in typical Hollywood movies, will at least dislike this as well.

In my opinion, go Jackie, go! :) 10 of 10 for being exactly as I expected - not much more, but nothing less!

How Can there so many positive Reviews on this? This is one of the worst movies EVER made

Author: rusties from Mississauga, Canada
11 January 2004

I've seen Manos, The hands of Fate, troll 2 and many other movies that are in the bottom 100 movie list and ALL of them were not as bad as this disaster (except for Rollerball, but that's a differnt story). How could somebody in the right mind call this a movie? I once read a review with the title for hobgoblins saying "Theres a point where it just stops being a movie". This movie from the very begining of the movie wasn't a true movie. For one a movie has to have some plot that makes sence.

Which gets me to my first point, let's talk about the writing. With the money Jackie Chan has, you think he could hire somebody people to make a decent plot. One minute were looking at some guy who randomly knows a SWAT team who hates him, next were looking at a super crime fighting team randomly calling him in to do a job. After that he gets teamed up with a guy whos wife at the next minute is a super fighter woman with all these weapons. Did they just put random plot twist ideas in a hat and then randomly draw them to put that in the script?

The dialoge couldof been written by my 2 and my half year old cousin and could confuse the highest of smart people out there. They would skip a lot of detail such as how the prince got caught at times. Who in the right mind passed this script after reading it for a movie to be made?

Then theres the acting, oh boy, what fun it was to watch this. Fun to watch in terms of laughing at how pethedic it was. Lee Evans is a very good actor but perhaps the very worse in this movie. He was good in Theres Somebody About Mary, but in this movie his character was undeveluped, did the most unrealistic things and he just poured out the bit of dialoge there was like there was nothing to it. Jackie Chan, yes he's a not a great actor, but in his other movies he's not so bad that you just want to walk out but your brother wants to see the end of the movie.

The special effects were so poorly done and so pethedic I couldof done better and I'm not professional. There was random fast motion times and random images being twisted around. The whole point in most of Jakie Chans movies was that he didn't have those type of effects and that's mostly what was so great about it.

If yoiu think, I'm just saying this because I hate Jakie Chan your wrong, Chan rocks. I love all his movies including the Tux, but this one was just unimagintivly bad. You can't even take a washroom or popcorn break otherwise you'll suddenly miss about 5 plot twist in those few minutes.

This movie should of never been made, simple as that. Don't let anybody tell you differntly. Only if you want to see one of the worst movies ever made in the history of man kinda, then see this movie.

Great Action-Comedy

Author: derboiler from Germany
30 December 2003

You just have to take the movie as is. Nicely done action scenes. Jackie Chan doesn't look a bit older and still kicks ass. Mr. Bad Guy we know from Warlock does a good job. The plot is allright if you keep in mind that it is a COMEDY. It has a little mystique touch and has more suspense to offer then movies like tombraider 2. Well done Jackie 7 of 10.

What?

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
23 October 2003

So, the Dimension recut of "The Accidental Spy" doesn't get any kind of national theatrical release in the US, but this piece of junk does? Wha'sup with that? What kind of logic is that? Even the chopped up Spy is better than this! There are a couple of good bits in "The Medallion," but they are very, very few and very far between.

Dimension--give someone who knows how to make movies (and from what I've seen of his past work, that ain't Gordan Chan) ALL the footage and let's have a re-edit. I've seen lots of unused footage in the trailers and TV spots, and I think there's a good movie somewhere in all that celluloid.

my teens loved it

Author: (mrskywalker) from chicago
18 September 2003

This film is so much better than some of these reviews. No it is not brutal or gory. It is a very light film closer in tone to Tuxedo or Shanghai Knights. It is not mean spirited at all and is just fine for all ages. There is an old fashioned kiss at the end of the film no different than an old movie and is not at all explicit. There are no sex scenes and no brutality.

There is a lot of action and the movie moves very fast. Perhaps the focus on a 10 year old boy that needs to be rescued is not jaded enough for some modern movie goers. But I found a very happy audience of all ages at this film. There are two women who are also heroes in this film. But these ladies are not cold or mean talking like movies recently seem to push. They are just nice but are heroes.

The scene where one wife pulls out a secret supply of weapons is meant to be breezy and fun and not to be judged like "where did she suddenly become an agent." I really liked this film. Also, if you have ever known someone that has died this film can make you think for a moment about having a second chance at life. Also, the British side kick was funny and very likable. Nobody is put down and this is a film about heroes. This film is funny and full of action. Check out the funny out takes at the end!

one of jackies best

Author: sanjib dash (dash_draeger@rediffmail.com) from sbp, India
2 September 2003

Only one phrase sums up the whole movie 'O my god '. one of jackies best adventures. if u liked the shanghai movies then this is for u, hell of a thrilling adventure with chan style spectacular action. if u did not like shanghai series even then this is for u.

A great movie

Author: Evangelion05 from L.A, USA
28 August 2003

I saw this movie 3 days ago, and i have enjoyed every minute of them. Julian Sands and Jackie Chan are brilliant. The action is great, and Jacki Chan shows us, that he is not too old for this job. MAny people say that content is a little bid stupid, but i can just ask : How many action movies have a good content?......Their are no movie with brilliant action and a good content......i think so.

Finally I want to say, that I am not a Chan-Fan but i like this movie too.

Golden Child meets the Return of the Mummy

Author: Matt King (templebrat@webtv.net) from Young Kingdoms
23 August 2003

I found this to be a very entertaining Jackie Chan movie considering the cosmic mish-mash of the plot. I'm continually amazed at Jackie Chan's sense of humor and timing in the action scenes. I really enjoyed the ensemble cast that he put together for this film. I thought that John-Ryes Davies and Claire Forlani were excellent choices to give the movie depth. My only complaint is that John doesn't get enough screen time and Claire isn't dolled up enough. They should have dressed her up like Jennifer Love Hewitt in the Tuxedo. It was good to see that Jackie's pal Sammo Hung was back directing the action scenes. All in all, I thought this was a good movie and worth the price of admission.

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]