IMDb > The Medallion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Medallion

The Medallion More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Stay Away

Author: MyOpinionIsFact from United States
25 August 2003

I read Ebert's review and was expecting it to be okay but he was wrong. This movie isn't even for the Jackie Chan fans. The story is dumb. The comedy was stupid. The acting was bad. In particular "Snakehead" and Warren were the worst offenders. The action scenes didn't carry any weight and the movie had tons of goofy special effects. There's nothing worth seeing here. Stay away.

Something occurred to me while watching this movie. I have seen more bad Jackie Chan movies than good ones and yet I continue to check out his latest movies. Only about 1 in 10 Chan movies are worth your time. It's that awesome 10% that makes him an attraction. He really ought to be more selective about scripts. Arnold comes in second in my "actors I like who have had many bad movies" category.

A Reasonable Adventure of the Still Agile Jackie Chan

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 July 2004

In Honk Kong, the detective Eddie Yang (Jackie Chan) together with many Interpol agents leaded by the Irish agent Arthur Watson (Lee Evans) try unsuccessfully to arrest the bandit Snakehead (Julian Sands), who kidnaps a powerful boy with his magic medallion. Eddie is sent to Ireland to catch Snakehead, where he meets Watson, and his former love, the agent and liaison of Interpol in Asia Nicole James (Claire Forlani). Together, they try to locate Snakehead and the kidnapped boy. Although full of special effects and flaws in the screenplay, this movie is a reasonable adventure of the still agile Jackie Chan. In the past, he was proud of making by himself the daring scenes, without the use of stunts or special effects. Now that Hollywood has found him, what a difference (for worst) in his last movies! I miss his style in his funny, naive and full of action Hong Kong movies. The annoying and horrible Lee Evans destroys all the scenes supposed to be funny. The guy is so awful and ridiculous that becomes hard to see him. His best participation is when his character Watson makes fun of one of the many flaws in the screenplay: when Eddie is resuscitated, he appears completely naked, while the same does not happen with Nicole. The nasty soundtrack, trying to make a cue of the supposed to be more laughable scenes, irritated me. Why Watson's wife is able to fight so well? Is she also an undercover agent? If the boy was so powerful, as showed in the end of the story, why the need of his pursuance by the agents? My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): `O Medalhão' (` The Medallion')

Pee-yew

Author: Doug from Fargo, ND
24 August 2003

Poor movie. Even worse than The Tuxedo even though it has a similar plot. I am also growing tired of wire-fu fight scenes. One bright spot is a chase scene where Jackie climbs a 15 gate, squeezes through a grate and climbs back down faster than I can sit down on my couch. All this being said, I would be happy to pay $7 just to watch Claire Forlani drink a cup of coffee.

The sound effects person for this movie should be FIRED!

Author: startrekismylife
5 October 2003

Man, this movie is horrible, but the sound effects just lowers the movie enough for it to be one of the worst movies ever!

For example:

They used a RECORD SCRATCH noise (the kind of sound that would come out of the speakers if you took a record off real fast)

There was a scene where 2 girls were going to fight, and out of nowhere, there was a cat sound (reear)

And let's not forget the part where the SAME EXACT scream comes out of Julian Sands mouth AND Jackie Chan's mouth (2 different scenes) This is the SAME scream that can be heard in countless other things (i remember hearing it in those "extreme sports" mountain dew commercials where the guy is skydiving or something) it goes something like "rrrrrrrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

that about sums up the sound part...now let's move on to the acting...

That guy from "There's Something About Mary" has lost every ounce of respect that i had for him. His character in TSAM was silly, but at least he was funny in that. He SUX in this movie.

Jackie Chan didn't do a bad job in this...the writers did.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't see this movie, you will just hate it.

Silver Medal to the Medallion (DVD)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
16 February 2005

The movie doesn't worth a gold one, but it's a good finalist.

My first thought when I picked the DVD was "another boring American entertainment movie"! But as the saying says, "don't judge a book by his cover".

Indeed, this was a good surprise: First, it's not an American setting: a short beginning in Hong-Kong and a good length in Ireland. This brings a welcomed refreshing spirit.

In the other hand, it's a good comedy, with a particular mention to the character of Watson. I know: it's the formula of all Jackie Chan's movies. But I was a first-timer. So, his biography as a bonus in DVD was very helpful.

The only little drawback of this movie is the Kung fu. The entire action scenes are shot in slow or in quick motion. This choice brings a surrealistic, cartoonist sense at the action, which in my opinion, didn't help the movie.

Finally, grab the medallion and don't wait a decade to watch another Jackie's movie!

Extrodinary Powers

Author: julian_orlando_babes (julian_orlando_babes@hotmail.com) from Iowa Falls, Iowa U.S.A.
26 March 2004

I have seen this movie like 15 times, I didn't know that Julian Sands was in it when I first saw the cast members on the back of the movie. Until I saw it, it was pretty funny as it was with "The Legend of Drunken Master," I mean Jackie Chan was so funny when he does some great stunts, Lee Evans was as doofy as he was in "Mouse Hunt," Claire Forlani is one of many beautiful ladies in the entire L.A., California. Julian Sands is still pretty cool when he was in "The Medallion." The movie brought some great tips and greatest touch, Jackie, Lee, and Claire can kick some bad guys butts when they were playing along with each other. I can't believe Jackie would say "I want ice cream" comment and I laughed my whole heart and lungs out while the credits were rolling by. One of my most favorite parts in the movie was when Eddie and Snakehead were fighting in air, but I love it when Snakehead was walking down the stairs upside down, that kind of stunt reminded me of the movie called "Labyrinth" and then I just thought that Watson was poking Eddie around. Ha ha ha! When the chosen boy told Eddie to throw the medallion towards to the life that it gave, that gave Snakehead's attention. He was like "Oh no! No! No! Not me!" he was scared to death, but I just love Julian's expression when he was like about to cry and get the pain out of his back. Those creatures that came out of Snakehead's back, they're ugly creatures, but they're ok. They're pretty cool to me, just not my taste. That's all I can give for now.

Crystal Weideman

Jackie Chan's martial arts are incredible

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
19 October 2003

Synopsis Spoiler! Jackie Chan stars in this kung fu action comedy as Eddie Yang, a Hong Kong detective who is transformed into an immortal warrior with amazing speed and strength by an ancient medallion that hangs around the neck of a little boy, Jai (Alex Bao), who is the chosen one. The medallion is in two pieces and is brought together every 1,000 years by the chosen one. For anyone to receive the superhuman powers and immortality, an individual must die and be brought back to life by the touch of the medallion while in the hands of the chosen one. Eddie is working with Interpol to catch an international criminal, Snakehead (Julian Sands) who has been spotted at a temple in Hong Kong. Eddie must choose between saving the little boy from a fire in the temple or capturing Snakehead, of course, Snakehead escapes and flees the country. Since Eddie is the only one who saw his face, he must go to Ireland to help Interpol track him down. In Ireland, Eddie is reunited with his old flame Nicole James (Claire Forlani), who is very upset with Eddie for not calling her for months. While working on this case, Eddie and the little boy are locked in a shipping container, which is pushed overboard into the harbor. Eddie dies by drowning, but he was able to save the little boy who brings him back to life with all the powers of the medallion. You think Jackie Chan's martial arts are incredible at regular speed; he is fantastic with these new powers. Snakehead has discovered the powers of the medallion and has kidnapped the little boy to get the powers for himself. Eddie and Snakehead meet for a final battle to determine who will control the power and the fate of the world. Be sure to stay and see the movie out-takes at the end of the movie; they are always funny. (TriStar Pictures, Run time 1:30, Rating PG-13) 6/10

Hour and a Half of Action Highlights with No Story

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
24 August 2003

OK, to be honest, it's easy to tell that even in its original form, before the American distributors cut out all the story elements, "The Medallion" wasn't really a winner. First of all, it is a blatant rip-off of Eddie Murphy's "The Golden Child," a film not worth ripping off in the first place. Secondly, the plot that does remain is goofy and tragically underutilizes its main gimmick, which doesn't kick in until well after half the film is over.

BUT this is also a clear case of massive butchery by the American distributors (Tri-Star/COlumbia, according to IMDB?). I mean there are lots and lots of clips used in the trailers and tv commercials to explain the plot that the movie itself doesn't use! It seems as though every bit of business that didn't directly involve an action gag was cut out, leaving the movie an incomprehensible mess with many, many unexplained events and myriad loose ends. None of it even makes sense in a cartoon kind of way. And often we see the payoffs to gags that have had their setups removed.

A major part of the plot revolves, as everyone knows, around Jackie being revived from the dead with supernatural superpowers. As edited for US consumption, everyone in the film pretty much takes this for granted. You have to watch the outtakes at the end and pay attention to the trailers to catch snippets of the scenes wherein the characters dealt with Jackie's return to life!

It is so maddening!

Granted, Chan's Hong Kong flicks might need a tiny bit of altering for the American market (the music in most of his HK films always sucks, for instance). But the wholesale reworking of "The Medallion" and his previous HK actioner, "The Accidental Spy" were both totally unwarranted (though it was nice to have Min-jeong Kim's horrifically bad acting re-dubbed by a real actress for the English Version of "Spy").

I don't want to label myself a criminal, but I can't wait to buy the HK DVD version of "The Medallion" on Ebay in a few weeks so I can see what the film was really supposed to be about.

Hate To Say This, But This Is Not One Of Chan's Best Efforts

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
31 August 2008

This is not a great movie; in fact it isn't even funny when it tries to be. Jackie Chan has starred in so many great movies that one could've imagined when he'd have a flop of his own. The Medalion is just so woeful, it is difficult to explain how utterly poor this movie is. And to think that this was produced in Hong Kong as well, now that to me is a big shock.

The makers pumped so much money into the CGI and special effects that they limited the amount of fight choreography and action sequences, of which weren't all that spectacular. It looked heavily disjointed and out of sorts; there was too much CGI, not enough genuine action. The story was frustrating at times, unexciting and lacked depth; the characters were either one dimensional or flat. The romance between Claire and Jackie was embarrassing to watch, it's hard to believe that they had chemistry, because it looked totally unconvincing, and may I add it was a flawed idea to hook them up, anyway. The acting was not so much the problem but rather the woeful script and tedious dialogue, it was boring to boot as well.

Lee Evans does his typical one- man English routine to minimal effect. I think he is okay as a stand-up comedian, but his role in this film did him no favours whatsoever. He was wasted in the Medalian, which is unfortunate to say.

In fact, this is a waste of a movie and a waste of Jackie's talents- the editing was all over the place. The premise sounded interesting for a while, but overall, it just didn't work and the end product is terrible.

I loved Police Story, Drunken Master, Wheels On Meals and My Lucky Stars but this film, the Rush Hour series and The Tuxedo have been disappointing. The truth is Chan is effective when he is given the freedom to do things, but also when the story itself is good; he however is not so effective and at his best when the script is poor and Jackie doesn't get to showcase his strengths and talents. The latter is certainly the case, in reference to his American efforts and in particular to The Medalian.

This is not the Jackie Chan we all know and love: as fans of this genre, we all are aware that he can do better than this. But I for one just couldn't bring myself to recommend this to any JC fan, of which I'd say to them avoid this movie at all costs

Good movie if....

Author: apocolypseii from United States
29 November 2007

You're 7 years old. Otherwise it is very boring, and full of bad jokes, and even worse accents.

The action isn't terrible, but being that its Jackie Chan, its sorta slap-stick in nature, and seems like its meant for kids... I mean look at the rating, lack of foul language, and extreme lack of blood to boot.

The only reason I watched it was for Claire Forlani, but I think Mallrats or Meet Joe Black is easily a better choice.

Oh, and something that really caught my attention was the extremely noticeable racism during one of the chase scenes... Jackie is chasing a black man, and he keeps evading him by JUMPING over everything, honestly, he has no "moves" like Jackie, except for jumping over anything he sees.

Anyway - I give it a 3/10 because Claire Forlani is incredibly cute.