IMDb > The Medallion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Medallion

The Medallion More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Let down

Author: Rob Wilson (RobW720) from Minnesota
22 August 2003

Don't get me wrong, I am a large Jackie Chan fan, but this movie was pathetic. I laughed out loud at how awful the acting, writing, camera movements, and audio was. It is like they rushed putting it together and missed out on a lot of stuff.

In the first twenty minutes or so of the movie the audio doesn't even line up with the lips. I am fine with that but it kicks in every once in a while and gets on your nerves. It is kind of funny though. The story made no sence and people did things in the movie with no reason behind their actions.

the dialogue was laughably awful for a good chunck of the movie, the action was very poor and choppy. I was really let down because I like Jackie Chan so much, but a lot of the action was replaced by a bad CGI shot.

I could go on and on about what didn't work in this movie, but I will just leave it at what you see. It doesn't flow at all and, for a Jackie chan movie, is really boring. If anything, wait till it comes out on video.

Pretty entertaining.

Author: swipht1
22 August 2003

It was a fun movie to watch. Good ol' Jackie Chan stunts. I felt that some of the CGI stunts could've been taken out of the movie. They were very fake looking and probably weren't necessary. But Jackie Chan can still make me laugh. I also enjoy the way they incorporate comedy into the action. Good entertainment.

a bust

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
19 January 2008

Jackie Chan's new movie is a bust. Its 80 minutes or so of missed chances. The cast is there as is the action director,Sammo Hung, but this is movie that simply doesn't work.

It has six listed writers and about 19 producers of one sort or another.

I'm watching this and I can believe its not working. Its just sort of there. I have no idea who to blame it on, probably everyone since this has the feel of a movie that had too many cooks.

The director, Gordon Chan, I know by reputation only, his other films are suppose to be at good.

Don't get me wrong, its not bad, its not anything its just sort of there. Its sort of like watching a blank wall, or better snow on a TV screen, there are things moving around on the screen but it really doesn't mean anything to you, it doesn't engage you...

For the record its about a magical medallion in two parts that bestows supernatural powers when its put together. I think thats all you need to know.

Is it worth bothering with? Only if you are a Jackie Chan completist. Everyone else has better ways to spend the time involved.

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE - It is better than the Tuxedo which was dumb and shouldn't have worked on any level. This should work but doesn't.

One of Jackie Chan's follies of the decade.

Author: Eliason_Collateral10 from Ottawa, Canada
19 December 2004

Since 2000, Jackie Chan started to lose his acting edge with a slur of good and bad movies. They are all debatable however unless Chan makes Rush Hour 3 in 2005, I can see his American career dieing fast. Very fast. In 2000, Chan brought us Shanghai Noon with Owen Wilson, which was quite enjoyable. Shanghai Knights then followed it up in 2003, which was about the same as Noon. In 2001, Jackie and Chris Tucker brought us a masterpiece follow-up to a masterpiece, Rush Hour 2. Then in 2002, things took a turn for the worse as he brought to the screen with Jennifer Love Hewitt in Tuxedo, probably Chan's worst as a cab driver. Now in 2004, Around the World in 80 Days was an all right remake of an older film and was better than expected but still bad.

Finally back in late 2003, as we jump around, The Medallion was brought to the screen. A so-so film with Chan as he stars with others like Lee Evans, Julian Sands, and is directed by Gordon Chan, I guess some guy related to Jackie.

The Medallion is about Eddie Yang, a Hong Kong detective who finds a Medallion, which is guarded by one little, lifeless, Chinese boy. He gets in a fatal accident and the magical medallion revives him as an invincible man with supernatural powers. His girlfriend played by Lee Evans thinks he's dead until the lifeless Chinese boy guardian tells her that he isn't. However some bad guy wants the medallion for world domination as he is played by Julian Sands. At one point, when both him and Eddie have the medallion powers, the computer work done for the action is just terrible. It just shows there was no real effort put into this movie.

There are 3 major flaws with this film. First off, it has too many Chinese actors who should be speaking Cantonese or Mandarin or whatever. Instead, they speak English except their voices are horribly, horribly dubbed. Including the little boy, all their voices are dubbed when having subtitles easily could have done it all. Secondly, the computer does most of Jackie Chan's action stunts. Even in this movie when you'd think the Medallion would give him such powers, they show him prior to being killed climbing a pole at a rapid speed and walking on a wall more than 20 feet up. And finally, the comedy and the action are not good at all for what is supposed to be an Action/Comedy.

Overall, Jackie Chan just made an average movie as it still contains his elements. However, poor acting by everyone else, unnecessary double entendres, less stunts done by Chan himself, and many other small elements ruin this film. Little kids would like it but everyone else knows how this film failed. One folly of this decade and if some good or Rush Hour 3 is never made, I'm afraid we've seen the last of Jackie Chan.

My Rating: 5/10

Eliason A.

A Poor Comedy and a Poor Action Movie

Author: E. Catalan (ecatalan98@gmail.com) from United States
10 May 2004

As talented and as funny as Jackie Chan might be, this is really a dreadful film intended for "family" viewing. I guess there isn't much to say here except maybe you can watch this when there's ABSOLUTELY nothing else to watch. The movie deals with an oriental child who owns a Talisman with great powers. We never really know where this kid came from and we don't get much background about the talisman either. The action sequences are totally untense and childish and the comedy is contrived to say the least. I guess under some talented director this would have fared much better, but the story itself is a turkey.

Rent at your own risk!

pointless movie

Author: tmgooz2 from United States
15 March 2004

i went to see this movie 2 weeks after it came out. i was bored at home and wanted to see a movie. i called 2 of my friends and we went to see the movie. the only thing i can say that jackie chan was made for Rush Hour series. this movie is horrible, poor screenwriting, screenplay, everything about it is bad. the outtakes of the movie in the ending credits was better then the whole movie itself. this was a first movie where jackie chans acting wasnt funny, and not only this movie had no point to it. was the movie about the medallion or the bad guy who gets the medalion? special effects and jackie chan doesnt work, even though some stunts in this movie was alright but the whole movie itself wasnt good at all. i recommend no one watches this movie

Why do US Film Companies want to ruin Jackie?

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
23 February 2004

Now Jackie Chan's "The Medallion" wasn't going to be a masterpiece no matter what they did to it--it's just plain goofy and there's no way around that fact. But I just watched the deleted scenes on the DVD and it is obvious that the unbelievably dumb, painfully incomprehensible, sub-Tuxedo flick we all saw last summer could have been much better.

It is such an odd situation. After years of American companies complaining that Jackie's Hong Kong films dealt too much with action and not enough with plot, the tables seem to have turned. Jackie's US partners in this project, Columbia-Tri Star, had the final cut on this one and for some reason they decided to cut out virtually all the scenes of plot exposition or character development. I mean, you watch the stuff they took out and you say "so THAT'S what was supposed to be going on!" Like I said before, even restored this would be a wacky kid's movie, but it at least would have made sense according to its own rules and the world it created, the way Spy Kids or the Wizard of Oz did. The version we got in the theatres was practically a "worst of" collection of clips!

We need a "director's cut," and if they put one out in Asia, I'll be the first on Ebay ready to buy it.

Not one of Jackie Greatest, but still good

Author: HeeroYuy0905 from Los Angeles, CA
4 February 2004

Now me? I liked this movie. But you have particularly like this genre in order to appreciate it in the first place. The only people who wouldn't like it at all are those that don't like martial arts movies.

The special effects are done well enough to not look fake, but there aren't too many. The humor is, as always, very good. Of course the best part of that is the ending bloopers. The plot, while not very original, is still well done and keep you thinking.

In the end, I can honestly say The Medallion is a good movie, but if you had a choice between this and a movie like Shanghai Noon, pick the latter. My final rating: 7 out of 10.

Completely Unnecessary

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
16 January 2004

So how is The Medallion different from any other Jackie Chan movie? Well, it seems that it's only claim to fame is that it's the first movie Jackie Chan has an on-screen kiss. Oh, what a legacy! That's great for Jackie Chan and all, because he is a likeable guy, but there is absolutely nothing redeeming about this movie.

Jackie Chan movies are known for their slapstick-like humor and awesome martial art effects, but The Medallion is severely lacking in both departments. The beautiful Claire Forlani can't save it just by looking pretty. Her character added no depth or humor to the picture. And Lee Evans is just plain corny with a very low percentage of funny lines. There's no Chris Tucker or Owen Wilson to save this movie out of the doldrums.

As for the martial arts, they are disappointingly weak in this movie. They emphasize way too much on crappy computer effects that they forgot to concentrate on the main draw of a Jackie Chan film - his whimsical, impressive, and unique fighting style. Instead we're treated to corny and sub-par gravity-defying fighting sequences. Lesson to be learned here, if you're not going to put in the necessary money, don't try to be like The Matrix. (Oh, and don't get me started on the horrible sound effects. Honestly, they're the worst I've ever heard in a movie!)

I know this isn't supposed to be award-winning material. Some people may like its light-hearted approach, but there are plenty of movies like that already that have done much better. A little more substance is not too much to ask. Jackie Chan has done better, and if the rumors are true, I am looking forward to seeing him team up with the legendary Steve Martin for the next Pink Panther movie.

My IMDb Rating: 2/10. My Yahoo! Grade: D (Dreadful)

Very Disappointing

Author: bigjohnk from Altus, Oklahoma
6 September 2003

I have enjoyed Jackie Chan movies for quite some time. However, I find this movie lacking in the action scene department. Yes there are action scenes but, I find that their use of the Chinese, movie style, martial art scenes way over the top.

Sorry but, this is one of Jackies movies that I have no intention of watching again.